• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs Console in 2024... time to ditch PC?

Laptop1991

I get the point, but i use my PC for a lot more than just gaming and i also love using mods in Bethesda games etc, so it's not an option for me, but the prices for the hardware are too high for these new games that are mostly console ports that are not optimized to use the real power the PC's can offer anyway, and GTA 6 won't come out for PC until a year later either, so i can see the argument will make sense for a lot of people. but i won't switch.

Last edited:
All these comparison videos are pure bait for the console/ pc war veterans. Useless, meaningless and a waste of time.

Just play on the platform you like for reasons noone has to know and enjoy it.
Every single one has its drawbacks and advantages.

I dont need some fucktard with a Youtube channel telling me the pros and cons.

OverHeat

« generous god »
All these comparison videos are pure bait for the console/ pc war veterans. Useless, meaningless and a waste of time.

just look at what I wrote under the video....

Mr Hyde

I got into PC gaming and really wanted to like it. It has some nice advantages over console. Free online. Multiple store fronts. Mods. Cheaper games (if you wait for sales). Great customer support and easy refunds. But in the end, it was just too cumbersome and annoying, and it felt like I spent more time fiddling with settings, updates, outdated drivers, controller support not working on certain games etc. Almost every game I tried there was some form of trouble shooting. A lot of headache is probably due to inexperience, but I realized I prefer consoles and their ease of use. I'm old and just want to play games. I take convenience over more power and frames.

Last edited:
You can do more on PC then playing a game.

But PC can do the same as consoles do
Fun fact: PS5 doesn't even have a basic web browser.
Even the Xbox has a full fledged Edge.

That is 1 decision I can't wrap my head around. The lack of a basic browser for PS5. Even the PS4 had one.
It makes a console much more versatile. I used it on PS4 and Xbox to lookup guides while gaming. The omission on PS5 was a real wtf moment for me.

Fun fact: PS5 doesn't even have a basic web browser.
Even the Xbox has a full fledged Edge.

That is 1 decision I can't wrap my head around. The lack of a basic browser for PS5. Even the PS4 had one.
It makes a console much more versatile. I used it on PS4 and Xbox to lookup guides while gaming. The omission on PS5 was a real wtf moment for me.
Having a browser makes a console much more open to being messed with and eventually cracked. I do like the option of having one on the Xbox though if my phones charging.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
No Way Mac GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Having a browser makes a console much more open to being messed with and eventually cracked. I do like the option of having one on the Xbox though if my phones charging.
That's true but the chances of that happening are 10000x worse on PC.
It was a nice to have a choice in the matter though. Just make it an optional feature.

hinch7

Its a good time to game, whether on PC or consoles. Consoles perform well enough (outside portables for current games). There's pros and cons to both.

PC's are generally more expensive to get into though for the more technically inclined, its certainly worth the premium for options alone, not to mention flexibility, tuneable performance and forward and BC. And like Jay said, its a tool and can be used for more than just gaming and media functions.

Consoles are just great for plug and play. Made even better now are options for fidelity, performance or somewhere in between. For the average person who doesn't want to wade through menus, mess with drivers and updates this is the way to go. Either way you go you can't go wrong if you just want to play a game or two. Though really, you don't necessarily need to choose one over the other.. if you have the funds having both is a good way to experience games the way you want.

Braag

Arguments like these are a waste of time. My best mate plays on PS5 and I play on PC, we play occasional MP games together such as Helldivers 2 and Diablo 4 thanks to cross play. I could never see him buy a PC because it is more of a hassle and way more expensive than PS5. But the main reason is that his whole library of games is located on PS5 and he doesn't even want to buy a Xbox because he doesn't want to have a fragmented game library. Just like I would never swap to consoles cause all my games and friends are on Steam.
People clown on Phil a lot here, but he was right about one thing, a lot of people once they have built their game library and settled on a specific system, it's very hard to get them to jump ship. Some people juggle several platforms, but majority of people stick to 1.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
More and more over time I'm thinking of ditching consoles. I'm 95% PC now until some big exclusive PS/Switch game drops, then it collects dust again.

Just need Sony to start doing day 1 PC. I'm literally asking you to let me give you more money than I would have before, c'mon.

Topher

Gold Member
That's true but the chances of that happening are 10000x worse on PC.
It was a nice to have a choice in the matter though. Just make it an optional feature.

You have already access to run anything you want on PC so there is nothing to "crack'.

Last edited:

MikeM

As someone with both- I could never be one or the other. Console has its pros and cons like PC.

MP on PC all have kernal level anti-cheat which is risky in itself. Hacks galore. At least on console, I can shut crossplay and have a virtually level playing field (exceptions of course but this is generally the case).

PC really shines on the single player side I find. Brute force everything to levels higher than console so long as your wallet can pay daddy Jensen.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The non-broke among us have both. Stop being poor and buy a rig with RTX 4090 and a PS5 Pro.

A Switch too for that matter.

And if you really wanna be among the gaming elites, a Steam Deck as well.

Can’t forget the PSVR2.

At that point, also buy the NVIDIA Shield and Quest.

Get the ROG Ally. Steam Deck will be lonely otherwise.

No Xbox though.

Last edited:

A - the fuck - men, bro.

MikeM

The non-broke among us have both. Stop being poor and buy a rig with RTX 4090 and a PS5 Pro.

A Switch too for that matter.

And if you really wanna be among the gaming elites, a Steam Deck as well.

Can’t forget the PSVR2.

At that point, also buy the NVIDIA Shield and Quest.

Get the ROG Ally. Steam Deck will be lonely otherwise.

No Xbox though.
Wolf Of Wall Street Fun GIF

nkarafo

With those ridiculous GPU prices i might as well. A fucking 3060, a 3 year old low tier card, still costs 300 euros in my country. And for the price i'll getting less than what a current console can do.

It's the reason i still haven't upgraded since 2016 and only play last gen games nowadays.

Topher

Gold Member
Right because the Xbox has been cracked so many times because of it’s web browser..

I remember when cracking iPhone was simply a matter of browsing to a website in Safari. So no, Xbox hasn't been cracked due to Edge but don't think it isn't a security concern for Microsoft. It certainly is.

Hohenheim

I don't understand what all "the fiddeling" people need to do on their PC's is.
The only "fiddeling" I need to do on my PC is the stuff I don't NEED to do. (Add mods, emulators etc) and even that stuff is very straight forward, even though i'm by no means a PC expert.

The other stuff, (updates etc) is just a click or fully automatic. Just as easy as doing the same stuff on a console.

Mr Moose

The only "fiddeling" I need to do on my PC is the stuff I don't NEED to do. (Add mods, emulators etc) and even that stuff is very straight forward, even though i'm by no means a PC expert.

The other stuff, (updates etc) is just a click or fully automatic. Just as easy as doing the same stuff on a console.
I need to change the buttons for controller because it keeps using Xbox buttons for 8BitDo Ultimate (it's Switch config), that shit is annoying.

Denton

Clickbait headline aside, it is a fairly level headed video about pros and cons of each. Nothing revelatory of course. PC has higher upfront cost and requires a bit more upkeep, but offers higher quality of everything, more customizability and longer term some money saving (MP, cheaper games).

CLW

No way I'm abandoning a library of 700+ Steam games, 300+ Epic games and 100 GOG games which I already never play. :D
See that’s exactly why I cannot leave PS for PC well that and every time a title comes out that I think OK I’m going to do it with this one the pc port performance is awful (dragons dogma 2)

JCK75

Owning a Series X, PS5 and PC I have no reason to touch my consoles..
I get much more in buying a port of a PS5 games on steam as I can play it on my PC, on my TV via Geforce Now (as well we my Xbox gamepass library) or on the go with my steam deck..
The need for consoles is drying up (but I will continue to own them so long as they give me a UHD Blu-ray option.

Topher

Gold Member

Probably one of the more overstated negatives about PC that are parroted by folks who really don't know any better. Consoles are simpler. There is no doubt about that, but I don't understand why people need to embellish on that and pretend that PC gaming is such a constant chore. It just isn't.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Oh My God Omg GIF by Blown Away

Video summary (thank you Mr. AI!)
The video discusses the ongoing debate between choosing a PC or a console for gaming in 2024. It delves into the pros and cons of each, considering factors like cost, performance, exclusivity, and personal connection to the device. The presenter shares insights on the evolution of consoles becoming more like mini PCs, the ability to upgrade storage, and the shift of exclusive titles to PC. The video also touches on the emotional aspect of building and customizing a PC, suggesting that it can become a passionate hobby or even influence career paths.
Highlights:
  • 00:003 Introduction to the PC vs Console debate
    • Discusses the historical context of the debate
    • Introduces the topic’s relevance in 2024
    • Mentions personal experience with both platforms
  • 02:034 Console considerations
    • Examines the blurring line between console exclusives and PC availability
    • Highlights the ease of upgrading storage on modern consoles
    • Discusses the digital shift and resale value of physical games
  • 06:095 PC advantages and challenges
    • Explores the higher initial cost of PCs
    • Emphasizes the superior performance and customization options
    • Addresses the potential troubleshooting and upgradeability
  • 13:456 Comparing the overall experience
    • Reflects on the passion and personal connection many have with PCs
    • Considers the simplicity and reliability of consoles
    • Encourages viewers to weigh both sides based on personal preferences

A couple of notes: The video title is clickbait, but the video itself is fine (albeit completely useless and redundant). If you can afford a PC, all the blah-blah is mostly irrelevant (unless your goal is to sway two or three people on the planet). Now when PC maintenance is more boring than ever, the convenience argument is ridiculous. Also, it's worth noting that PCs are usually not solely used for gaming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom