• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC vs Console in 2024... time to ditch PC?

Cramoss

After PC gaming since the late 90s, I just prefer the simpler and comfier life of consoles these days. They are good enough for me since I never actually cared about performance unless it was really terrible low 20s. Only thing that pisses me off about PS, is that there is still no regional pricing in PSN and their refund process is terrible.

Mortisfacio

I'm about 99.9% comfortable with PC over console. I prefer the multitasking and options (desk with KBM vs switching to TV and laying down with a controller) as well as the visual fidelity. I'd be 100% if games like Bloodborne would just come to PC... playing the swamps at sub 20fps was brutal on PS4.

Last edited:

Interfectum

No Xbox though.
Nick Offerman Smile GIF

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I don't understand what all "the fiddeling" people need to do on their PC's is.
The only "fiddeling" I need to do on my PC is the stuff I don't NEED to do. (Add mods, emulators etc) and even that stuff is very straight forward, even though i'm by no means a PC expert.

The other stuff, (updates etc) is just a click or fully automatic. Just as easy as doing the same stuff on a console.
Nah. You need to have a PhD.

Interfectum

I don't understand what all "the fiddeling" people need to do on their PC's is.
The only "fiddeling" I need to do on my PC is the stuff I don't NEED to do. (Add mods, emulators etc) and even that stuff is very straight forward, even though i'm by no means a PC expert.

The other stuff, (updates etc) is just a click or fully automatic. Just as easy as doing the same stuff on a console.
I have both connected to an 77" OLED in my living room... PC's require a LOT more maintenance than a console. The initial setup to get HDR and the colors looking right is a pain in the ass, individual game launchers like in Hitman 3, Cyberpunk, etc take an extra step to disable and/or having a keyboard ready to navigate, botched resolution changes, Steam Big Picture mode glitches, getting the right graphic settings for your PC and display, etc. I would never suggest a non-tech person to get into PC gaming as there are just too many variables to think of when you add Windows in the mix.

If you know what you are doing, PC gaming is easily the best way to go but it's certainly not for everyone.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I have both connected to an 77" OLED in my living room... PC's require a LOT more maintenance than a console. The initial setup to get HDR and the colors looking right is a pain in the ass, individual game launchers like in Hitman 3, Cyberpunk, etc take an extra step to disable and/or having a keyboard ready to navigate, botched resolution changes, Steam Big Picture mode glitches, getting the right graphic settings for your PC and display, etc. I would never suggest a non-tech person to get into PC gaming as there are just too many variables to think of when you add Windows in the mix.

If you know what you are doing, PC gaming is easily the best way to go but it's certainly not for everyone.

If someone buys a gaming laptop and installs Steam then at that point they have to do no more than buy/install/run a game. Non-tech people have been using Windows for forty years now.

What "individual game launchers" are you talking about disabling? Do you mean store launchers like GOG and EGS?

Last edited:
Why not both? whether you prefer one platform over the other it doesn't make you any less of a gamer.

I'm buying the PS5 Pro this year, and I also plan on building my first PC with a 4090.

Interfectum

If someone buys a gaming laptop and installs Steam then at that point they have to do no more than buy/install/run a game. Non-tech people have been using Windows for forty years now.

What "individual game launchers" are you talking about disabling? Do you mean store launchers like GOG and EGS?
Hitman 3 has its own launcher, button prompts don't work. Gotta pull out a keyboard. Same with Cyberpunk, BG3, etc.

I'm not saying you need a PhD to do this but using a PC the same way you use a console is a lot more complex than people are giving it credit for. And I use a gaming PC ALL THE TIME to game and have a masters in Computer Science. :messenger_winking_tongue:

The way I see it, you get out what you put in. PC gaming is a lot more work but if you put in the work the end result is a generation or two above console. But you do have to work to get there.

Last edited:
I’ve been gaming on both PC and consoles since I was basically a toddler and I agree that playing where you like is the correct answer. I’ve never believed in the whole “master race” BS. Both platforms have their pros and cons. Luckily I happen to like both console and PC gaming equally for different reasons and I think I always will.

Interfectum

Had to respond to this separately. I've been in IT my entire adult life and I can guarantee you non-tech people have no idea how to use Windows or a computer. They fumble around until their muscle memory kicks in for their specific needs (email, WP, Solitaire, etc) but beyond that they are helpless.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I’ve been gaming on both PC and consoles since I was basically a toddler and I agree that playing where you like is the correct answer. I’ve never believed in the whole “master race” BS. Both platforms have their pros and cons. Luckily I happen to like both console and PC gaming equally for different reasons and I think I always will.
I’ve playing on consoles and never owned a gaming PC until 4 months ago. The correct answer is PC. My only regret is not jumping sooner.

Topher

Gold Member
Hitman 3 has its own launcher, button prompts don't work. Gotta pull out a keyboard. Same with Cyberpunk, BG3, etc.

I'm not saying you need a PhD to do this but using a PC the same way you use a console is a lot more complex than people are giving it credit for. And I use a gaming PC ALL THE TIME to game and have a masters in Computer Science. :messenger_winking_tongue:

The way I see it, you get out what you put in. PC gaming is a lot more work but if you put in the work the end result is a generation or two above console. But you do have to work to get there.

Ok.....so if someone is trying to use a gaming PC exactly like a console, as you are, then sure, that can make steps for a few games harder. That is a rather specific use case. I think the vast majority of people understand that and just use a keyboard. That isn't difficult though. And fact of the matter is that keyboard/mouse, for many such as myself, are simply superior to controllers in many games like FPS and so not even having the option on console is a big negative. I basically don't buy first person games on console at all. But that is also a specific use case. For many, it isn't an issue.

I have a CS masters degree as well, but we both know that provides zero benefits to simply using Windows and/or launching a game. Gaming on PC can be as simple or as complex as somone wants it to be.

Had to respond to this separately. I've been in IT my entire adult life and I can guarantee you non-tech people have no idea how to use Windows or a computer. They fumble around until their muscle memory kicks in for their specific needs (email, WP, Solitaire, etc) but beyond that they are helpless.

Eh.....I've been an software developer working with non-tech people for over 30 years my man. How are you saying someone who knows how to use email, word processing, etc has "no idea' how to use Windows? Anyone with those basic skills can figure out how to click "play" in Steam.

Last edited:

hinch7

Pretty much. You'd also be surprised at how tech illiterate most people are. A lot of people I know struggle with their phones or smart devices outside basic functions and browsing.

Last edited:
Probably one of the more overstated negatives about PC that are parroted by folks who really don't know any better. Consoles are simpler. There is no doubt about that, but I don't understand why people need to embellish on that and pretend that PC gaming is such a constant chore. It just isn't.

I have to take four paracetomols If I plan to boot up my PC

Buggy Loop

I have to take four paracetomols If I plan to boot up my PC

Do you really have a PC 🤔

Probably one of the more overstated negatives about PC that are parroted by folks who really don't know any better. Consoles are simpler. There is no doubt about that, but I don't understand why people need to embellish on that and pretend that PC gaming is such a constant chore. It just isn't.

If PCs were as hard to use as some peoples claim and with so much debugging, the fucking world would collapse from all the business / financial / networking hard crash to the ground. The world runs on PC. If it requires so much tinkering, nothing would work. It’s the boogeyman at this point. Peoples think they have to change IRQ adresses and motherboard pins as if it’s the early 90’s.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Goggle exists.

Interfectum

Ok.....so if someone is trying to use a gaming PC exactly like a console, as you are, then sure, that can make steps for a few games harder. That is a rather specific use case. I think the vast majority of people understand that and just use a keyboard. That isn't difficult though. And fact of the matter is that keyboard/mouse, for many such as myself, are simply superior to controllers in many games like FPS and so not even having the option on console is a big negative. I basically don't buy first person games on console at all. But that is also a specific use case. For many, it isn't an issue.

I have a CS master degree as well, but we both know that provides zero benefits to simply using Windows and/or launching a game. Gaming on PC can be as simple or as complex as somone wants it to be.

Eh.....I've been an software developer working with non-tech people for over 30 years my man. How are you saying someone who knows how to use email, word processing, etc has "no idea' how to use Windows? Anyone with those basic skills can figure out how to click "play" in Steam.
I feel like we are going to have to agree to disagree. I would never suggest a PC illiterate get into PC gaming as they will hit a roadblock they don't understand and, depending how they got the device, may or may not have support to assist them.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't see myself going back to consoles ever, but I understand how some people prefer it's simplicity and how easy they are to use.

Topher

Gold Member
Occasional PC game but mostly to shitpost

If shitposting had minimum requirements then you would need a 4090.

I feel like we are going to have to agree to disagree. I would never suggest a PC illiterate get into PC gaming as they will hit a roadblock they don't understand and, depending how they got the device, may or may not have support to assist them.

I think such people would have just as much trouble figuring out consoles, to be honest. I'm not sure we are even talking about people who have any interest in video games at all at that point.

But yeah....agree to disagree.

JackMcGunns

Oh My God Omg GIF by Blown Away

Video summary (thank you Mr. AI!)
The video discusses the ongoing debate between choosing a PC or a console for gaming in 2024. It delves into the pros and cons of each, considering factors like cost, performance, exclusivity, and personal connection to the device. The presenter shares insights on the evolution of consoles becoming more like mini PCs, the ability to upgrade storage, and the shift of exclusive titles to PC. The video also touches on the emotional aspect of building and customizing a PC, suggesting that it can become a passionate hobby or even influence career paths.
Highlights:
  • 00:003 Introduction to the PC vs Console debate
    • Discusses the historical context of the debate
    • Introduces the topic’s relevance in 2024
    • Mentions personal experience with both platforms
  • 02:034 Console considerations
    • Examines the blurring line between console exclusives and PC availability
    • Highlights the ease of upgrading storage on modern consoles
    • Discusses the digital shift and resale value of physical games
  • 06:095 PC advantages and challenges
    • Explores the higher initial cost of PCs
    • Emphasizes the superior performance and customization options
    • Addresses the potential troubleshooting and upgradeability
  • 13:456 Comparing the overall experience
    • Reflects on the passion and personal connection many have with PCs
    • Considers the simplicity and reliability of consoles
    • Encourages viewers to weigh both sides based on personal preferences

A couple of notes: The video title is clickbait, but the video itself is fine (albeit completely useless and redundant). If you can afford a PC, all the blah-blah is mostly irrelevant (unless your goal is to sway two or three people on the planet). Now when PC maintenance is more boring than ever, the convenience argument is ridiculous. Also, it's worth noting that PCs are usually not solely used for gaming.

Absolutely! it's a lightly veiled scheme to get more people to start building PCs "You can even make a career out of it" At times he sounds completely misinformed, like it wasn't possible to upgrade the HDD of consoles before this gen, clearly mistaking that since the Xbox 360, you can buy an external HDD and just snap it on, and with Xbox One you can literally just plug in any USB-C external drive and play all your games there. Then overemphasizing how easy it is to upgrade the PS5 SSD, yet failing to point out that on Series X you can literally hot swap an SSD that simply snaps in, no disassembly required. Pushes the Series X to the side of the PC to claim it's the same thing, then rambles about why a console is so much easier to game and less expensive... so push the Series X back? like what? guy makes no sense, he was obviously trying to say at least PS5 has some exclusives not on PC, but he said they're all moving towards that anyway. If his entire point is that you don't need a PS5 or Xbox, then they're both on equal ground unless you're talking about the games. Clueless and a waste of time to watch.

Interfectum

I don't want those retards on PS5 either.
Oh they are there. I know someone who console games all the time and didn't even know they didn't own a 4K TV. They thought their 1080p was a 4K... for years.

Most people are fucking idiots. Put that person near a PC and see what happens.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
It might be more feasible if Phil's plan to have xbox service on all kinds of devices, made by other manufacturers, with additional storefronts on it, actually pans out. I thought going back to XBONE that they might head in this direction because the real strength of MS is their infrastructure and ecosystem. Do the DOS/Windows thing - try to get your OS (or in modern times, software & services) onto as many devices as possible. The main issue would be rating the game for some type of classification of gaming hardware that's a little easier for consumers to follow. Like you're not going to be able to play the latest AAA release at full settings on a handheld. That needs to be made clear and easy to understand for people. Then they can choose their device based on the experience they want. I think that's the main issue to tackle rn because the tech is there.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’d rather just focus on one platform that also happens to play the most games, and can do a lot more than just play games.

It’s not for everyone. Friends and coworkers who have kids that want a gaming PC - I steer towards getting a console.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Another melt telling everyone what they should do, why is it everyone these days has a 'channel' where they feel their opinion is important enough that everyone else should listen to them. I mean yeah if you're an expert in your field then its worthwhile, but why on earth people feel the need to do shit like this is beyond me, and on top of that who the fuck is the target audience? Play what you want, who needs some clown ass fool telling them what to do

twilo99

Consoles are single purpose devices, which makes them much easier to ditch compared to a multi purpose machine such as a Windows based personal computer build with gaming in mind.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Another melt telling everyone what they should do, why is it everyone these days has a 'channel' where they feel their opinion is important enough that everyone else should listen to them. I mean yeah if you're an expert in your field then its worthwhile, but why on earth people feel the need to do shit like this is beyond me, and on top of that who the fuck is the target audience? Play what you want, who needs some clown ass fool telling them what to do

Target audience are those trying to decide between console and PC gaming. He wasn't telling anyone "what to do". Just gave an overview of the pros and cons from each side. Thought he did a pretty good job personally.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Dorfdad

Gold Member
The non-broke among us have both. Stop being poor and buy a rig with RTX 4090 and a PS5 Pro.

A Switch too for that matter.

And if you really wanna be among the gaming elites, a Steam Deck as well.

Can’t forget the PSVR2.

At that point, also buy the NVIDIA Shield and Quest.

Get the ROG Ally. Steam Deck will be lonely otherwise.

No Xbox though.
Are you looking through my window??

GymWolf

People can testimony how much of a fucking noob i am at solving pc problems, i need a damn guide to install even a simple mod.

If pc was as complicated as people think, i would have never used it as a main game platform.

99% of times it is as plug and play as a console, especially if you have a monster rig and a clean pc without too much shit on it.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

My ideal gaming machine would be a console with MacOS/iOS.

You know something in between pc and console.

Last edited:

Fredrik

The video and title don’t make sense, most of the video he was hyping up the PC experience and downplayed the console experience… He didn’t even talk about ditching the PC to buy a console. Quite the opposite.
???

Anyway, I built a PC for the living room a couple weeks ago and it has been amazing. Definitely needed some tinkering with fan curves and big screen button mapping and I still need a keyboard and mouse at times for mod downloads and the occasional window with a button to press. But it’s now more silent than my PS5 and the games look and run better and with mod support it’s just a whole other thing.

I don’t agree when he says that a PC shouldn’t be connected to the TV. Games look incredible on my TV, and I have an old Sony XE9305 LED TV, bright as the sun, only 60hz at 4K but games look crazy good compared to my consoles.

And the Xbox, as he says, it’s just not needed anymore. Sorry, fans. Only reason to ever power up the Series X now is to play backwards compatible titles. I don’t think emulators for Xbox One is all that good yet. But tbh I don’t really care.

The huge downside of PC instead of consoles is having to wait for Sony exclusives. I’m playing Horizon Forbidden West right now, a game I started playing 2 years ago on PS5…
Stellar Blade, when can I play that? No idea.
Ronin? Same thing, could be 5 years away, nobody knows.
But as with Xbox games on Playstation they have kinda shown that the games are eventually coming, exclusivity is about timed exclusivity now. So if you can wait the console just isn’t needed.

x060XAH.jpeg

Last edited:
The video and title don’t make sense, most of the video he was hyping up the PC experience and downplayed the console experience… He didn’t even talk about ditching the PC to buy a console. Quite the opposite.
???

Anyway, I built a PC for the living room a couple weeks ago and it has been amazing. Definitely needed some tinkering with fan curves and big screen button mapping and I still need a keyboard and mouse at times for mod downloads and the occasional window with a button to press. But it’s now more silent than my PS5 and the games look and run better and with mod support it’s just a whole other thing.

I don’t agree when he says that a PC shouldn’t be connected to the TV. Games look incredible on my TV, and I have an old Sony XE9305 LED TV, bright as the sun, only 60hz at 4K but games look crazy good compared to my consoles.

And the Xbox, as he says, it’s just not needed anymore. Sorry, fans. Only reason to ever power up the Series X now is to play backwards compatible titles. I don’t think emulators for Xbox One is all that good yet. But tbh I don’t really care.

The huge downside of PC instead of consoles is having to wait for Sony exclusives. I’m playing Horizon Forbidden West right now, a game I started playing 2 years ago on PS5…
Stellar Blade, when can I play that? No idea.
Ronin? Same thing, could be 5 years away, nobody knows.
But as with Xbox games on Playstation they have kinda shown that the games are eventually coming, exclusivity is about timed exclusivity now. So if you can wait the console just isn’t needed.

x060XAH.jpeg
This is what I'm doing pretty much. Good to hear positives

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I ditched xbox for the first time this gen because of their day one ports. Figured i should invest in PC instead and overall id say it was a good decision.

If sony does the same, it would be a great decision.

That said, last year PC gaming broke me. I got shades of the PS2 and early PS3 era ports where everything shipped broken and PC gaming was just a pain in the ass. Not that console gaming is any better when it comes to 60 fps games, but i specifically built my pc for ray tracing at 60 fps and its been a complete disaster save for Avatar.

Right now i have two options. Get the PS5 Pro later this year for $600 for spend $1000 on a PC GPU 50% more powerful. Problem is that my CPU is a bottleneck in most RT games so while i might be able to brute force some games, i will need to upgrade my CPU as well. Problem with my CPU upgrade is that i will need to get a new mobo because all the latest intel CPUs use a different mobo. If i switch to AMD that means getting a new AIO as well. That pushes me to $1,700. for 50% more performance. Fuck that.

Sony says they can add RT to games that had missing RT effects in 60 fps modes. I am ok with that. Yes, the ps5 pro at best will be equivalent to a 3080 and at worst a 3070, but its not like im playing most games with RT on anyway.

TLDR; PC gaming is too expensive. Going back to console gaming.

I ditched xbox for the first time this gen because of their day one ports. Figured i should invest in PC instead and overall id say it was a good decision.

If sony does the same, it would be a great decision.

That said, last year PC gaming broke me. I got shades of the PS2 and early PS3 era ports where everything shipped broken and PC gaming was just a pain in the ass. Not that console gaming is any better when it comes to 60 fps games, but i specifically built my pc for ray tracing at 60 fps and its been a complete disaster save for Avatar.

Right now i have two options. Get the PS5 Pro later this year for $600 for spend $1000 on a PC GPU 50% more powerful. Problem is that my CPU is a bottleneck in most RT games so while i might be able to brute force some games, i will need to upgrade my CPU as well. Problem with my CPU upgrade is that i will need to get a new mobo because all the latest intel CPUs use a different mobo. If i switch to AMD that means getting a new AIO as well. That pushes me to $1,700. for 50% more performance. Fuck that.

Sony says they can add RT to games that had missing RT effects in 60 fps modes. I am ok with that. Yes, the ps5 pro at best will be equivalent to a 3080 and at worst a 3070, but its not like im playing most games with RT on anyway.

TLDR; PC gaming is too expensive. Going back to console gaming.
I'll sell ya my 4070 cheap when I upgrade to the 5000 series.

Top Bottom