• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RotBot

Is the FPS bottleneck coming mostly from the CPU? I got noticeable improvement after overclocking my processor. But adjsting the clocks on my 8800 GT and changing the internal resolution didn't do much. I also don't notice the speedhacks improving anything. Do they only work in specific games?

With an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 at 2.85 Ghz, I'm getting FPS in the 40s in MGS3 and Dragon Quest VIII when there's a lot of geometry. Would upgrading the CPU let me hit 60 more consistently?

Also, do PAL discs run smoother because they only require 50 FPS to maintain full speed?

$h@d0w

DieH@rd said:
Oh snap!

I just browsed PCSX2 forums, and MGS3 IS FULLY PLAYABLE!!! [Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance (PAL)] From beginning to end, with all cinematics, and few minor graphical bugs.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-4256-post-50387.html#pid50387

/jizz in my pants

RotBot said:
Is the FPS bottleneck coming mostly from the CPU? I got noticeable improvement after overclocking my processor. But adjsting the clocks on my 8800 GT and changing the internal resolution didn't do much. I also don't notice the speedhacks improving anything. Do they only work in specific games?

With an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 at 2.85 Ghz, I'm getting FPS in the 40s in MGS3 and Dragon Quest VIII when there's a lot of geometry. Would upgrading the CPU let me hit 60 more consistently?

Also, do PAL discs run smoother because they only require 50 FPS to maintain full speed?

Pcsx2 is very cpu heavy, so yes. My e6850 @3.24ghz can run shadow of the colossus at 100% with 1440x900.

DieH@rd said:
Oh snap!

I just browsed PCSX2 forums, and MGS3 IS FULLY PLAYABLE!!! [Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance (PAL)] From beginning to end, with all cinematics, and few minor graphical bugs.

/jizz in my pants
Hah. So PCSX2 gets MGS3 running at full speed before Sony has it running at full speed on the PS3's with the EE chip emulated.

I'd love to see some 1600x1200 screenshots with AA.

I have a E6600 and 7600GT 4GB RAM and Vista 32. Will the lack of GPU prohibit me from really using this well, or do i need to beef up the card?

Would I have better luck on my MacBook Pro, i think 2.2ghz core 2, 2gb ram, and 8400M with Vista 32?

DieH@rd

Banned
RotBot said:

Are you using the lastest 1190 beta version?

AZ Greg

Couple of quick questions:

- I've read the last few pages and also went to the emulators website, but since I'm not too good with emulators I just want to double-check something. You don't need to rip your games and instead they can be played straight from the disc correct? Also, do you have to have any sorta specific DVD drive?

- Anyone using this with an E8400 + 8800GT combination? I don't necessarily want to play games in HD. Just want to play through Persona 3 FES smoothly.

Thanks!

DieH@rd

Banned
AZ Greg said:

- I've read the last few pages and also went to the emulators website, but since I'm not too good with emulators I just want to double-check something. You don't need to rip your games and instead they can be played straight from the disc correct? Also, do you have to have any sorta specific DVD drive?

- Anyone using this with an E8400 + 8800GT combination? I don't necessarily want to play games in HD. Just want to play through Persona 3 FES smoothly.

Thanks!

Game will work better if you play it from the HDD [from ISO file]. If you play it directley from dvd you may get some slowdowns.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
infinityBCRT said:
I bet 2D games run fine on a CPU like that though.

Honestly some 2D games give me more chop than some 3D ones. In Grim Grimoire i get good sized frame drops during 2D cutscenes and during actual gameplay. This is especially true since ive started tinkering with the latest public beta since there is a new option called VU Cycle Stealing which boosts fps in 3D games by a huge amount.

Heres Disaster Report at a really good framerate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_sEHRdrXzw. The few times the game does dip do not happen when im recording full-size with Fraps. i also did a little bit of SMT3 as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_hS4PI97TY.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
AZ Greg said:

i would recommend that you make an image of the disc. You dont need to but sometimes there is a perfomance gain by doing so.

i dont have that setup.. mine is slower by far.. but as you can see from my Persona 3 video, even when recording in HD i still get awesome framerate. There are minor glitches though but honestly they arent super annoying.

MiniBossman said:
My bad its a Q6600 core 2 2.4ghz (quad) not E6600. So this would work pretty well, especially on 2D?
Probably wouldn't be any different since the emulator only uses up to two cores.

dalin80

Banned
hm troubles.

the emu crashes everytime reporting a error with the GS plugin.

i have tried all versions of gsdx

also on each occasion i try to use one of my genuine discs it complains i dont have the latest DX version despite the fact i do.

currently using a PAL bios.

zbarron

flintstryker said:
For you guys using this emulator with say 2.2Ghz cpus does decreasing the resolution helps the framerate?
It will only help if your graphics card is bad enough to limit it, Genera... flintstryker.

Have you considered overclocking your CPU? my old E6550 was 2.33Ghz and when I overclocked it to 2.95Ghz it helped my performance incredibly.

Piano

Banned
zbarron said:
It will only help if your graphics card is bad enough to limit it, Genera... flintstryker.

Have you considered overclocking your CPU? my old E6550 was 2.33Ghz and when I overclocked it to 2.95Ghz it helped my performance incredibly.

Would overclocking my laptop CPU be safe? I'm paranoid about how much extra heat that would add to my compact laptop components.

It's a T7700 2.4 GHz Dual Core, I believe.

zbarron said:

I am actually planing on overclocking it just wanted to be sure about that one little factor.

Asparagus

RotBot said:

A higher clock (via more overclocking or a faster cpu) would definitely help, I don't know about MGS 3 but Dragon Quest VIII is a beast. I can't get a continuous 60 fps with a 3.2GHz E2180 on the world map :/ It's on hold until I upgrade. As for the PAL Disc thing, I remember reading something about that being the case on ngemu a while back.

zbarron

TheEastonator said:
Would overclocking my laptop CPU be safe? I'm paranoid about how much extra heat that would add to my compact laptop components.

It's a T7700 2.4 GHz Dual Core, I believe.
Sorry but I don't know what a safe temperature is with laptops. If someone could kindly say what that was you can download a program like Realtemp and check your CPUs temperatures.

flintstryker said:
I am actually planing on overclocking it just wanted to be sure about that one little factor.
Good call. What graphics card are you using?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
DieH@rd said:
Oh snap!

/jizz in my pants

Awww.. just tested it out and my machine too slow :( i wonder if the PAL version works better.

However, ive been digging through my games ripping them when i can and it turns out Road Trip aka Choro Q HG 2 works flawlessly :D After i get done encoding the avi im going to test out ChoroQ :)

RotBot

DieH@rd said:
Oh snap!

/jizz in my pants
I tried using all his speed hack options in DX9 mode, and I don't get any speedup. The FPS counter (and FRAPS) says I'm getting 80+ FPS, but they must be phantom FPS or it's rendering the same frame multiple times.

DieH@rd

Banned
8-Bit Soul said:
holy zeus O___O

Can I use the original PS2 discs for this emulator?

thanks for Your replies :)

Yes you can, but its better to dump your disc on HDD. Emulation will work better that way.

Search this thread if you want to find the best configuration for each game.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-4256-page-17.html

Zenith said:
How does Killzone 1 run?
killzone is not playable on pcsx2 0.9.6 It will boot, and then it will crash.

ArjanN

DieH@rd said:
Yes you can, but its better to dump your disc on HDD. Emulation will work better that way.

Search this thread if you want to find the best configuration for each game.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-4256-page-17.html

killzone is not playable on pcsx2 0.9.6 It will boot, and then it will crash.

It's generally better to use the latest beta version than 0.9.6 (the latest official release)

There's already been a ton of updates again since 0.9.6.

Killzone does start on the latest betas, but it's still too buggy to really play through. (invisible walls where there shouldn't be etc..)

Got the latest public beta running on my MacBook Pro. Got into Mushihime-sama menus, and called it a night. Sound was a little wonky, but I will fool more with plugins today.

Honolulu

Neo Member
I wonder if a port would work in YDL on a ps3 in some way.
Sony should support a ps3-port of pcsx2 since they seem to have dropped the ball on bc. :/

DieH@rd

Banned
Honolulu said:
I wonder if a port would work in YDL on a ps3 in some way.
Sony should support a ps3-port of pcsx2 since they seem to have dropped the ball on bc. :/

No way, GPU is not accessible in PS3 linux mode.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Kingdom Hearts - runs pretty good.. 55-60fps. On Destiny Island it tends to dip.. without Fraps recording though Destiny Island runs a bit better.

Shadow Hearts - i was meaning to record more battle stuff (there is a cutoff of 4gb per file.. and 4gb is like 3-5 minutes) but i havent played this in forever and i forgot how much i enjoyed the intro.

Atelier Violet - runs good.. what little slowdown you see is gone without fraps on. i also decided not to run PCSX2 at 1920x1080 for this game.. didnt see the point :)

Trigger Heart Exelica Enhanced - forgot to change settings back from native resolution on this one i think.. again no Fraps = faster. im horrible at shooters but i love them.. i found with Fraps going i play much better lol

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
MiniBossman said:
Man the videos look really good Number2. I will try and configure mine better and maybe take a run at doing a video too.

Thanks. Yea alot of the performance is in the plugins. Even different sound plugins can make a difference. If you are using Fraps to record, i found like a weird issue with recording. When a game is running and Fraps is minimized and i F9 to record, i get a huge loss in framerate.. like 30 frames. However, if i leave Fraps open and on top of the PCSX2 window, i get near full fps. After recording has started it can be minimized without an issue. im not sure if this is a Fraps thing because i had only previously used it for Wow and i was running fullscreen at the time.

Current config:
PCSX2 0.9.6 public beta 1190
Graphics: GSDX 0.1.15 build 1236
Sound: SPU2GHz Playground 1.9.0 (had to do some searching for it after i read it offered good performance)
CDRom: P.E.Op.S (CDDA Mod) 1.3.0 (had some issues with Gigaherz 0.7.0)

I just did a vanilla run through with Mushihime-sama. Ran fairly smoothly at about 50 fps most of the time. Slowed down to 40fps during boss fight.

I havent played with the configuration any.

Using the following plugins with Public Beta 1190:

Gsdx 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSSE3) 0.1.14
SPU2-X 1.1.0
P.E.Op.S CDVD (CDDA mod) 1.3.0

Definately needs some tweaking as there were some real slow downs in stage two.

zbarron

Number 2 said:
Thanks. Yea alot of the performance is in the plugins. Even different sound plugins can make a difference. If you are using Fraps to record, i found like a weird issue with recording. When a game is running and Fraps is minimized and i F9 to record, i get a huge loss in framerate.. like 30 frames. However, if i leave Fraps open and on top of the PCSX2 window, i get near full fps. After recording has started it can be minimized without an issue. im not sure if this is a Fraps thing because i had only previously used it for Wow and i was running fullscreen at the time.

Current config:
PCSX2 0.9.6 public beta 1190
Graphics: GSDX 0.1.15 build 1236
Sound: SPU2GHz Playground 1.9.0 (had to do some searching for it after i read it offered good performance)
CDRom: P.E.Op.S (CDDA Mod) 1.3.0 (had some issues with Gigaherz 0.7.0)
Check to see if Fraps is set to record movies at 30fps. If it is that would explain why the game is running at 30fps.

RotBot

Number 2 said:

gigaherz said:
The playground branch is now a spinoff called spu2-x. This thread and the name spu2ghz now refer only to the official version.
Have you verified you're getting better performance with the old version of this sound plugin? SPU2GHz hasn't been updated since last June. spu2-x was updated this February and comes with the official 0.9.6 release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom