• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
zbarron said:
Check to see if Fraps is set to record movies at 30fps. If it is that would explain why the game is running at 30fps.
Fraps is set to 60fps. If i had a camera id record what im seeing to show.. its not an issue anymore though.

RotBot said:
Have you verified you're getting better performance with the old version of this sound plugin?
Yes but it is not always that way.. its a case-by-case basis. ive also tested by disabling the frame limiter to see the max fps.

EDIT: Added a couple more HD vids.

MS Saga: A New Dawn - game runs awesome but the ingame movies run at about 30fps.. i just skipped them for the recording.

Fatal Frame 1 - game runs really good. The video shakes a little in a couple places (usually that can be fixed with a filter) and the ghosts have an odd white dot effect on them but otherwise its playable.

Shining Wind - runs damn near perfect with SPU2GHz Playground 1.9.0. About sound stuff affecting speed.. using ZeroSPU2 sound plugin with this game lowers fps by about 5-10.

Varna

Barkley's Justice said:
can someone please explain why GOW1 can be emulated/up-scaled in 1080p on a PC but not on the PS3? i'm not being facetious, I just dont understand.

Well, the PS3 uses PS2 hardware to handle most of it's emulation correct? Better question would be why their PS1 emulator does not take advantage of the hardware to provide better image quality.

jett

D-Member
Barkley's Justice said:
can someone please explain why GOW1 can be emulated/up-scaled in 1080p on a PC but not on the PS3? i'm not being facetious, I just dont understand.

Emulating PS2 hardware entirely on software is a hard task. This particular emulator doesn't do it perfectly, far from it, and has plenty of compatibility issues.

Also, high-end PCs are way, way more powerful than PS3s. :p Which is what you require to run this emulator at full speed.

dazzgc

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:

because even a midrange pc can whoop the crap out of a ps3/360. and easily. ps3 just wouldnt be able to do it, not powerful enough for pure emulation+1080 rerendering+aa etc

neight

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
The PS3 uses PS2 hardware GPU running at PS2 speeds and limited to the same 4MB VRAM. Even if it were pure software emulation it wouldn't run at anything beyond what the original PS2 was capable of because Sony is after accurate bc(look at psone bc).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
has anyone been able to get the PAL version of Shadow of the Colossus to run at a playable framerate?

Barkley's Justice said:

An order of magnitude more processing and rendering power tends to help. :lol

Varna said:
Well, the PS3 uses PS2 hardware to handle most of it's emulation correct? Better question would be why their PS1 emulator does not take advantage of the hardware to provide better image quality.

Sony's PS1 emulator relies purely on low level emulation, emulating the oruginal chips in their exact fashion. Its great for compatibility, but its slow (not an issue when you're using hardware that is so much faster) and doesn't allow you to improve the graphics rendering, since you're essentially rendering in software, you're not replacing PS1's render calls with those of RSX.

PCSX2 is a high level emulator, it sends all render calls to your GPU, which is free to interpret them any way you see fit.

inner-G

Banned
I have:

AMD 64X2 5400+
4GB RAM
9800GT 1GB

what settings should I use? I'm terrible setting up emulators.

I want to run FF X International, I found one plug-in with a FFX hack to show missing geometry, and that works good, but it gets all crazy during FMV, and drops serious fps when several models are on screen or when the scene pans.

MoogPaul

I seem to be having problems with the sound emulation. Games run at a steady 30fps (which is more than fine with me considering my ps2 is now deceased) but the sound is choppy as hell. I've tried from iso and straight from the disc. My PC is old as hell, inherited from my inlaws, at about 1gig of processing power but for some stupid reason it has 2.6 gigs of ram. Yes, it has more than double the RAM than processing power. I've goofed around with the options and nothing seems to work. Am I boned? Keep in mind that I stopped using PCs roughly 6 years ago, so; be gentle in explanations please.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
MoogPaul said:
I seem to be having problems with the sound emulation. Games run at a steady 30fps (which is more than fine with me considering my ps2 is now deceased) but the sound is choppy as hell. I've tried from iso and straight from the disc. My PC is old as hell, inherited from my inlaws, at about 1gig of processing power but for some stupid reason it has 2.6 gigs of ram. Yes, it has more than double the RAM than processing power. I've goofed around with the options and nothing seems to work. Am I boned? Keep in mind that I stopped using PCs roughly 6 years ago, so; be gentle in explanations please.

If you are using a 1GHz cpu.. there is not a whole lot you can do im afraid.

ultim8p00

Banned
MoogPaul said:

Use the SPU-2X(or something like that) sound pluggin and enable time-stretching.

ultim8p00

Banned
inner-G said:
I have:

AMD 64X2 5400+
4GB RAM
9800GT 1GB

what settings should I use? I'm terrible setting up emulators.

I want to run FF X International, I found one plug-in with a FFX hack to show missing geometry, and that works good, but it gets all crazy during FMV, and drops serious fps when several models are on screen or when the scene pans.

How are people with more powerfull PCs than mine experiencing slowdown when I have a 2.0GHz machine and I can run things at like 50-60fps? Have you tried using the Maetel version of PCSX2? Seriously guys. It runs heck of a lot faster than regular PCSX2

DieH@rd

Banned
ultim8p00 said:
How are people with more powerfull PCs than mine experiencing slowdown when I have a 2.0GHz machine and I can run things at like 50-60fps? Have you tried using the Maetel version of PCSX2? Seriously guys. It runs heck of a lot faster than regular PCSX2

Can you post a link to it?

inner-G

Banned
ultim8p00 said:

HO-LY SHIT

holy shit.

all over my face

carnon

Banned
ultim8p00 said:

More detail pls.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY SHIT AT THE MAETEL VERSION

eafms7.jpg

helll yeah. It's actually going too fast. :lol

zooL

I downloaded the Maetel-emu and when I click on execute and choose the IMG-file from the DVD-drive (using ratchet and clank 2), the emulator crashes... any idea what I am doing wrong?

Edit: Does it have anything to do with the rom1, rom2 and erom not found? Do I need those?

Edit 2: I forgot choosing a renderer under video-options... now it works! :)

Edit 3: Or it doesn't... now it crashes after the "Sony Computer Entertainment" while booting the game or something... any help? what bios-version are you guys using?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
DieH@rd said:
Limit the frames in the "cpu" section. And what are your pc specs?
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
Nvidia 9800GTX+
4GB DDR2 RAM

Regarding the frame limiting, yeah, I did that after I realised the game was actually running at full speed. I wasn't expecting it. :lol

DrXym

Barkley's Justice said:

The PS2 emulation in the PS3 is hardware only or hardware assisted. In both cases the game is rendered into a standard PS2 video buffer. It may then be pixel upscaled but the result is a blurry image, not true HD.

In theory the PS3 could emulate the whole PS2 hardware and translate graphics so they actually render to a 720p or 1080p buffer even if the game thinks its going into a 480 one. That would dramatically improve rendered polygons but it wouldn't do anything for textures. Whether this is feasible in practice remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
SOTC at a near constant 60FPS is godly. There are the occasional drops, but they occur at the same time they usually do during the game.

I'm using Maetel 1.5, btw, as the 3.5 version ran the game too slowly for some reason.

Rez said:
SOTC at a near constant 60FPS is godly. There are the occasional drops, but they occur at the same time they usually do during the game.

I'm using Maetel 1.5, btw, as the 3.5 version ran the game too slowly for some reason.
Thank you!

Is there a discussion forum regarding the development of the Maetel builds? Can't seem to find any and I'm wondering if it's still being worked on.

yanhero

InsertCredit said:
Thank you!

Is there a discussion forum regarding the development of the Maetel builds? Can't seem to find any and I'm wondering if it's still being worked on.

Well version 3.4 was released 2 days ago, so its still probably being worked on.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
InsertCredit said:
Thank you!

Based on what I know it's unofficial/illegal build. The guy take the PCSX2 source code, modify it but never release his code only binaries (Since it's a GNU License he has to release the code).

He is probably adding some hacks/shortcuts to make some (popular) games work better but those are probably unaccurate/imcomplete for most games.

Anyway don't talk about it on the PCSX2 forum or they will eat you alive.

yanhero said:
Well version 3.4 was released 2 days ago, so its still probably being worked on.

Ah dang. Good call ;). Will play around with some of his releases when I get home.

Milhouse31 said:
Based on what I know it's unofficial/illegal build. The guy take the PCSX2 source code, modify it but never release his code only binaries (Since it's a GNU License he has to release the code).

He is probably adding some hacks/shortcuts to make some (popular) games work better but those are probably unaccurate/imcomplete for most games.

Anyway don't talk about it on the PCSX2 forum or they will eat you alive.

Understandable. This stuff is close to crossing some lines.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
What graphics setting are you using for SoTC?
here's a pic of my general settings for anyone interested:
14t33bb.jpg

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Rez said:
here's a pic of my general settings for anyone interested:

You will probably want to update you gsdx plugin.. thats like super old.. yours is 0.1.14 build 570.. the latest is 0.1.15 build 1250. Although Gabest has been pretty crazy with the updates lately so even 1250 might be a little behind by the time you download heh.

Am i crazy for wanting to dual boot Windows 7 for DX10? Supposedly there are decent gains with DX10 over DX9. Anyone here have any experience with switching over?

EDIT: heres a link btw to Gabests post about gsdx.. there is a link there for the latest build uploaded.. the link is auto updated every hour also http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3031-page-1.html

I'm not convinced that the Maetel version is really any faster... it just has a bunch of speedhacks enabled by default that are not enabled on the normal PCSX2.

EGM92

Any of you who have Kingdom Hearts II able to test something for me?

I got the game running without any graphical issues using DX10 hardware mode. There is just one thing though, I'm having the lense flair (sun) coming through the buildings. Anyone know if there's a fix for that? I'm using GSdx 1.13

For the life of me I can't get Shadow of the Colossus to run well on my new machine. I have a dual-core E5200 overclocked to 3GHz, 4GB of memory and a Radeon 4770. I've turned every on every single speed hack I can and it still chugs at sub-20fps most of the time.

EGM92

_leech_ said:
For the life of me I can't get Shadow of the Colossus to run well on my new machine. I have a dual-core E5200 overclocked to 3GHz, 4GB of memory and a Radeon 4770. I've turned every on every single speed hack I can and it still chugs at sub-20fps most of the time.

What video plugin are you using and how do you have it setup?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Number 2 said:
You will probably want to update you gsdx plugin.. thats like super old.. yours is 0.1.14 build 570.. the latest is 0.1.15 build 1250. Although Gabest has been pretty crazy with the updates lately so even 1250 might be a little behind by the time you download heh.

Am i crazy for wanting to dual boot Windows 7 for DX10? Supposedly there are decent gains with DX10 over DX9. Anyone here have any experience with switching over?

EDIT: heres a link btw to Gabests post about gsdx.. there is a link there for the latest build uploaded.. the link is auto updated every hour also http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3031-page-1.html
Thanks for the link, but for now I'm going to keep all my current settings and plugins, because everything I've tried is running near-perfectly on the Maetel version. I'm too afraid to start changing things, honestly. :lol

DieH@rd said:
Do you know where can i find this 1.5 version?
I just googled Maetel PCSX and 1.5 was the version that I saw fifty times. I believe I got the file from a torrent.

Baloonatic said:
Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I just can't get SoTC to run at a playable framerate.
The very beginning cinematic and title screen always run at a sub-par frame rate for me, so don't be discouraged right away. It isn't until I actually start playing that everything speeds up.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Well i installed Windows 7 and DX10 mode runs really well. There is an increase in overall framerate and some graphical glitches in various games are fixed (the environmental textures in Nocturne for example). The only problem is now Fraps is failing me.. recording has gone down to 30-40fps :( im gonna have to tinker with it some more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever I try and use the latest plugin, it tells me that I need to update Direct X. I assume it wants DX10, but I'm using XP. I guess I'm going to be forced to stick with my old drivers.

Schrade

Rez said:
Whenever I try and use the latest plugin, it tells me that I need to update Direct X. I assume it wants DX10, but I'm using XP. I guess I'm going to be forced to stick with my old drivers.
Most likely you need to update your DirectX 9 runtime.

Latest version was released in March 2009 (this year): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=0cf368e5-5ce1-4032-a207-c693d210f616

Direct Download: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-B1E8-248D43270D5F/directx_mar2009_redist.exe (92.4 mb)

Or you could use the web updater version (Only downloads what you need): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Direct Download : http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/7/1/1718CCC4-6315-4D8E-9543-8E28A4E18C4C/dxwebsetup.exe (294 kb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom