• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Still contemplating getting Fatal Frame 1...damn some of those ghost combat videos are unnerving with surround sound:lol Found Valkyrie Profile 2 for cheap, so that will be cool to experience in high res.

How does scaling effect 2d games...say like Soul Nomad? That much of a difference?

rt262o.jpg

EDIT: God Hand and We Love Katamari are sorta playable, but still have some spots of slowdown.

Teknoman

Well this sucks....Silent Hill 3 (NA version) is busted as well. Same graphic issue as SH2 (crammed into a small area at the top of the screen, strange stretching when the game starts and the FMVs are messed up). Also for some reason, the game starts with a black and white SH3 logo on the screen for awhile, shows some japanese, then a japanese blood and gore warning, but the main menu is in english?

EDIT: Nevermind about the japanese, for some reason it just defaulted to japanese language instead of english. Graphic problems are still there though:

2aiemtv.jpg

2cxdh4w.jpg

20b0ro6.jpg

Silent Hill 3 also has some strange lighting problems with the flashlight. Makes shadows look like they are on top of objects...which wouldnt be too bad to deal with if I could get it to display correctly.

Heres hoping the two best Silent Hill games get fixed.

Teknoman said:
Well this sucks....Silent Hill 3 (NA version) is busted as well. Same graphic issue as SH2 (crammed into a small area at the top of the screen, strange stretching when the game starts and the FMVs are messed up). Also for some reason, the game starts with a black and white SH3 logo on the screen for awhile, shows some japanese, then a japanese blood and gore warning, but the main menu is in english?

EDIT: Nevermind about the japanese, for some reason it just defaulted to japanese language instead of english. Graphic problems are still there though:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2aiemtv.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2cxdh4w.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/20b0ro6.jpg

Silent Hill 3 also has some strange lighting problems with the flashlight. Makes shadows look like they are on top of objects...which wouldnt be too bad to deal with if I could get it to display correctly.

The emulator is mocking you for trying to play games with a stretched aspect ratio.

Chesskid1

Banned
cmon bros

if the game doesn't have a widescreen option, hit f6 (i'm pretty sure) to change into 4:3. no more ugly stretched screens. once you see it in the proper ratio, you can tell how horrible stretched is.

flanker37

I've started to play around with the emulator's built-in video recording, and recorded VP2 as well as FFXII. I also took some shots of final fantasy as well, another great looking game and runs very well from what I saw.

VP2 Towns and Fields in 1080p -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4vAQgf7ZJ0
VP2 Battle in 1080p -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0B0lc1e6_Y
FFXII town walking in 720p -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQK1W5m-R-Y

And some Final Fantasy shots
pcsx22011-01-0421-40-1vzbo.jpg

pcsx22011-01-0421-47-3cxgn.jpg

pcsx22011-01-0421-50-2ozfb.jpg

pcsx22011-01-0422-04-4yzm2.jpg

pcsx22011-01-0419-17-4fzk1.jpg

The rest at -> http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=z1mc4wTx

Teknoman

viewtifulsub said:
Any reason why you're trying to run SH3 via emulator than the PC version?

Didnt see a reason to double dip when theres the chance I can just run my PS2 games through the emu. That and arent those versions hard to find/dont work well on Windows 7? Not to mention both being overpriced. SH2 PC is like 100+ new, 60+ used.

nincompoop said:
The emulator is mocking you for trying to play games with a stretched aspect ratio.

Eh, I just like playing things full screen, doesnt really bother me if its not all that noticeable during gameplay. :lol I even mess with XBLA games to fit the entire screen.

EDIT: The graphic glitches happen in all aspect ratios for the two games.

Oh and Code Veronica X works perfectly. Klonoa 2 had no sound at the title screen (but sound everywhere else) and certain enemies are stuck in the scenery, preventing progression. Neo Contra freezes up a few seconds after entering the first stage.

EDIT: Hmm, Silent Hill 3 works perfectly on the previous (official) release build, aside from FMVs not displaying at all. I guess they'll have everything straightened out by the next official release.

Results with the first beta + GSdxv1-14

Both games worked full screen with minimal graphic glitches. The FMVs on both are still messed up display wise, but the in game graphics in Silent Hill 2 display fine, albeit with white lines going down the screen (that may be due to scaling in the first beta/early plugin, since native res didnt have the lines).

Silent Hill 3 displayed fine in game, aside from some similar lighting glitches that occur with the current beta build. Neither game had the stretching issue though. Although the games displayed properly during gameplay, better performance with the current plugin/beta.

Jokab

Been playing Persona 3 for a while with no problems at all except for occasional slowdown, but I just encountered a very annoying bug. When a persona levels up and it learns a new skill, if it has too many skills learned already, I can't select which one to replace, or if I want to replace at all. The only pressable button is X, which replaces the first skill on the list with the just learned move.

Has anybody else encountered this bug, and if so how did you fix it, if at all?

flanker37

That's strange, Persona 3 (and 4) were my first 2 games I played by emulator, and I didn't have any problems (like you mentioned) in either of them. Of course I was using a much older build of the emulator back then (I think 0.9.6 official versions).

Maybe you can try another controller plugin (or resetting all of the button-mapping) to see if that's the problem. If that doesn't work, I don't really have any other ideas, sorry. Hopefully you can get it working, since that bug would be very annoying.

Jokab

flanker37 said:
That's strange, Persona 3 (and 4) were my first 2 games I played by emulator, and I didn't have any problems (like you mentioned) in either of them. Of course I was using a much older build of the emulator back then (I think 0.9.6 official versions).

Maybe you can try another controller plugin (or resetting all of the button-mapping) to see if that's the problem. If that doesn't work, I don't really have any other ideas, sorry. Hopefully you can get it working, since that bug would be very annoying.
Managed to solve it by switching keyboard API to "Raw data" instead of "Windows messaging". :)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
kitanii said:
Ok, now I'm very impressed with the progress of PCSX2.
As of now (rev 3878, says it's 3876 in the app header) I can run DMC3SE, FFXII and FFX all in 60hz, 60fps @ 1680x1050 at full speed constantly. What makes it so impressive? Well, I still have my Core 2 Duo E6750 running @ stock speed (2.66GHz) with a 9800GTX+ and 2GB of ram. Sure, still a VERY able computer, but seeing as how we're talking about advanced emulation here I'm at awe.

For those who wonders about my settings.
The following way is the way to go.

EE/IOP
Round mode: Chop/Zero
Clamping Mode: None
Flush To Zero: Checked
Denormals are Zero: Checked

VUs
VU0: microVU Recompiler
VU1: microVU Recompiler
Round mode: Chop/Zero
Clamping Mode: None
Flush To Zero: Checked
Denormals are Zero: Checked

I don't use any frame skipping and as for the speed hacks:

EE Cyclerate: 1 - Default
Enable INTC Spin Detection: Checked
Enable Wait Loop Detection: Checked
mVU Flag Hack: Checked

At last, but not least, I use two game fixes and the GSdx-sse2-plugin using dx10.
Can't see a difference using the ssse3-version.
The game fixes:
FFX video fix & EE timing hack (which is what made DMC3SE run at its best)

On a sidenote.
DMC3SE gets a lot of graphical garbage using DX10. DX9 eliminates that, but the mVU flag hack causes the right hand side of the screen to show a vertical bar similar to the garbage found using DX10. The problem here is that the mVU flag hack is needed for the full speed emulation. FFX and FFXII both look perfect using either dx10 or 9, and they seem to perform the same too.

So yeah, maybe this'll help someone out there struggling to get one of these games with similar setups running at their best.
Wow, it sounds like DMC3:SE runs better than the PC port. I'm going to have to give this thing a try.

Chesskid1

Banned
got my first ever crash/black screen today, playing kingdom hearts for like 2 hours. pretty new and all i've played is FF12 for 15 hrs, no crashes, and kingdom hearts crashes within first 2 hrs. lost about an hr, so now i'm gonna be paranoid when i'm playing of crashing :lol

anyway to auto save state every 10 min?

flanker37

I don't know of an auto-save ability, but you do have 10 save-states that you could save to at any point of gameplay. It's great and makes crashes for the most part a non-issue.

F1 Save to the current save-state
F2 Cycles thru the 10 save-states
F3 Loads the last save-state

flanker37

Jirotrom said:
indeed... I think Im gonna start trying to emulate ps2 games now
Well, the general consensus is to have the fastest modern cpu you can get. These would include 3.5 to 4+ GHz Phenom II's or even better Intel core i5's and i7's, that are at least dual core (since the both PCSX2 and Dolphin can use 2 cores).

For the GPU it depends at how high a resolution you would like, but anything as fast or faster than an 8800 would probably work. The better the gpu, the nicer the image and higher the resolution you should be able to accomplish.

If building a new computer, I recommend asking for an emulator capable build in the PC building thread, everyone there should be able to piece one together for your budget.

Yasae

Banned
flanker37 said:
Well, the general consensus is to have the fastest modern cpu you can get. These would include 3.5 to 4+ GHz Phenom II's or even better Intel core i5's and i7's, that are at least dual core (since the both PCSX2 and Dolphin can use 2 cores).

For the GPU it depends at how high a resolution you would like, but anything as fast or faster than an 8800 would probably work. The better the gpu, the nicer the image and higher the resolution you should be able to accomplish.

If building a new computer, I recommend asking for an emulator capable build in the PC building thread, everyone there should be able to piece one together for your budget.
In general, CPU will matter more. I made a huge GPU upgrade recently and barely got an extra frame per second out of it at the same resolutions. I didn't expect anything, though, so one frame was better than nothing.

flanker37

Yasae said:
In general, CPU will matter more. I made a huge GPU upgrade recently and barely got an extra frame per second out of it at the same resolutions. I didn't expect anything, though, so one frame was better than nothing.
Were you already able to run the game at full-speed with your previous gpu? I wouldn't expect a better card to improve fps if it the game was already running full speed and the resolution stayed the same.

I believe you should be able to run the emulator at higher internal resolutions now with a better card though. Which really helps make the game look better and gain some much-needed anti-aliasing in the process.

But your right, in general, the CPU is the most important component so you can achieve full-speed (even at just native resolution). While the GPU is key to achieving higher resolutions (and AA) if you want them.

Yasae

Banned
flanker37 said:
Were you already able to run the game at full-speed with your previous gpu? I wouldn't expect a better card to improve fps if it the game was already running full speed and the resolution stayed the same.

I believe you should be able to run the emulator at higher internal resolutions now with a better card though. Which really helps make the game look better and gain some much-needed anti-aliasing in the process.

But your right, in general, the CPU is the most important component so you can achieve full-speed (even at just native resolution). While the GPU is key to achieving higher resolutions (and AA) if you want them.
I know with Xenosaga Ep. 3 the speeds were okay. 55+ FPS in most places with nosedives in certain areas. It seemed to run incredibly slow (in the 20s) near the ending sequences and changing resolutions didn't help past a certain point.

With the old X1900 I was usually running 1024x768 since it really helped on transparencies, smoke etc. whereas 1280x1024 (monitor's native resolution) would take bigger nosedives. This really didn't seem to improve much at all once I got the gtx460 installed. Same resolutions, nearly the same results. Scaling seemed to get a slim increase in performance, but I can still only go up to about 3x before the framerate gets ugly.

sam27368

Banned
I'm not very good with the config, I've read up on it and I'm still experiencing some problems.

I'm running an i7 OC'ed to 4.2ghz, 6gb ram and GTX570 x2 in SLi.

When playing FF12 the opening video is stuttering (not in the usual sense, but it flashes a black screen for a split second every now and then). I'm also experiencing some slowdown. I'm running at resolution 1080x1920, can anyone recommend some good settings who've got a similar setup? Thanks in advance

S. L.

there are now speedhack presetes "for dummies" in the latest SVN version

see lower left
pcsx2_coresettings_spe3r4c.png

the current code seems to have some bug with saving settings thou, will upload the latest build when that is fixed

dak1dsk1

Banned
S. L. said:
there are now speedhack presetes "for dummies" in the latest SVN version

see lower left
pcsx2_coresettings_spe3r4c.png

the current code seems to have some bug with saving settings thou, will upload the latest build when that is fixed
Oh, that's great! Thanks for the effort.

JADS

Does PCSX2 support aspect ratio hacks like Dolphin and nullDC do? I don't mind playing with black bars instead of the terrible, no offence sam27368, stretching that the KHII screenshots show but some widescreen goodness would be pretty nice.

Moobabe

Pretty impressed with how easy this was to set up - there's probably some stuff I'm not doing to maximise how it could look but, since my BC ps3 broke, this is a great way of playing my ps2 games again. Now just which to choose... I've started up P4 but I think maybe Gregory Horror Show (if it's compatible) will be the first I go for. Also - how do you adjust things like AA to make it look as good as possible?

Edit - Gregory Horror Show doesn't work :(

sam27368

Banned
S. L. said:
it's stretched to wrong AR
I'm pretty rubbish at configuring this thing, got any good config settings for it?

plainr_ said:
I so want to play this on my PC. Is KH2 confirmed glitch free from beginning to end running on this emulator?
I only played the intro upto that point, but it was all glitch free.

sam27368

Banned
Is PCSX2 open source? It doesn't appear to be, would really take the strain off of development if it was.

:EDIT: apologies for the double post.

How well will the emulator run on my Intel Core 2 Quad (Q8300 | 2.5 GHz) with 4 GB RAM and with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB?

If you think it will run with this hardware, at what resolution and how many frames per second.

I have never done this before but I have an urge to play San Andreas because my PS2 does not run in my PS2 for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

plainr_

ashbash159 said:
How well will the emulator run on my Intel Core 2 Quad (Q8300 | 2.5 GHz) with 4 GB RAM and with an ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 GB?

If you think it will run with this hardware, at what resolution and how many frames per second.

I have never done this before but I have an urge to play San Andreas because my PS2 does not run in my PS2 for some reason.

Thanks in advance.

Why not get the PC version of SA? I just started playing it again on my PC and I've been modding it to hell and back. So much fun.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Teknoman said:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2aiemtv.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/2cxdh4w.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/20b0ro6.jpg
It worked for me a year ago.

A. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXD8-8A_fyE
B. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPLn5wHD3Qc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom