• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu1999

I'm on a i7 920 clocked at 3.5ghz, 6 gigs of ram, radeon 6950.

Been playing Def Jam: Fight for New York. While its playable, I'm definitely hovering between 55-60 fps, and it just feels laggy even though its "only" 5 fps difference.

Do I need a faster computer????

teiresias

Anyway to get Shadow of the Colossus to not be a slow-motion fest? Everything else I throw at it runs great (so long as it doesn't have known issues). Running:

i7-870
8GB RAM
GTX460 (slight factory overclock)
Win7 64-bit Home Premium

Is there a known speedhack configuration for SoTC, or do I need to just move to one of the newer builds from r3878? I thought SoTC was suppoed to be running better than this (it's like sub 20fps), but maybe I was misinformed.

teiresias said:
Anyway to get Shadow of the Colossus to not be a slow-motion fest? Everything else I throw at it runs great (so long as it doesn't have known issues). Running:

i7-870
12GB RAM
GTX460 (slight factory overclock)
Win7 64-bit Home Premium

Is there a known speedhack configuration for SoTC, or do I need to just move to one of the newer builds from r3878? I thought SoTC was suppoed to be running better than this (it's like sub 20fps), but maybe I was misinformed.
I have the same problem. The fps counter says 50-60 fps, but it doesn't feel like that. The input lag is horrible, too.

bqe7e6ccab5xk9mqg.jpg

Chairhome

Wow, finally tried the latest SVN after almost a year of not trying it, and what a difference. I can actually play Rogue Galaxy now at 60FPS while at 2x Native res. BOF V Dragon Quarter works pretty well at 3x Native. Now my biggest dilemma is what games to play first. I'll probably take a stab at P3FES first, then FFX-2, BOFV or Rogue Galaxy. Too many! But they've been in my backlog so long.... <3 Emulation :-D

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
spons said:
Seems like gabest is back from the grave, that's good news for the development of his directx plugin.

I'm calling BS. Link?

sam27368

Banned
This was posted on the front page of the site yesterday

Work on 0.9.7 is in progress and with very promising results some of the changes are making it into the 0.9.6 build which is probably going to be the last for this version. You can download it here. The downloads repository for pcsx2/mac is always located at pcsx2mac.net

The main improvement is proper implementation of memory protection handling for pcsx2, which should give 25-50% performance boost depending on the game.

To use the svn repo do you have to compile everytime you want to play a new build? I really want to check out some of the updates but if that's the case I think I'll wait.

sam27368 said:
This was posted on the front page of the site yesterday

To use the svn repo do you have to compile everytime you want to play a new build? I really want to check out some of the updates but if that's the case I think I'll wait.

Which version # were those memory improvements implemented? I'm using the Jan 22 build right now.

EDIT: oops, that's related to the mac code.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Yay, finally can I play Suikoden 3 at full speed and no graphics corruption. While I have only played for 30 minutes, it seems like it should be good. What I did was take the latest revision (r4278), go to the preset speedhacks, set it to 6, change VU clamping to normal (This fixes all the graphical glitches), and up VU Cycle Stealing to 3, and bamn, game is a solid 60FPS with 1440x1080 resolution with a 2.8 GHz Quad Core AMD Phenom II 925. While people with faster CPUs may be able to not have to use as aggressive of a speed hack (It could prove to be unstable later on), it seems to run very well for the moment.

My main guess is the game likely uses the VU do a lot of the graphical work for the game rather then the Graphics Synthesizer, since the Graphics Synthesizer never gets to more then 10% usage.

Yasae

Banned
Drkirby said:
Yay, finally can I play Suikoden 3 at full speed and no graphics corruption. While I have only played for 30 minutes, it seems like it should be good. What I did was take the latest revision (r4278), go to the preset speedhacks, set it to 6, change VU clamping to normal (This fixes all the graphical glitches), and up VU Cycle Stealing to 3, and bamn, game is a solid 60FPS with 1440x1080 resolution with a 2.8 GHz Quad Core AMD Phenom II 925. While people with faster CPUs may be able to not have to use as aggressive of a speed hack (It could prove to be unstable later on), it seems to run very well for the moment.

My main guess is the game likely uses the VU do a lot of the graphical work for the game rather then the Graphics Synthesizer, since the Graphics Synthesizer never gets to more then 10% usage.
HA! No, not really. The best part of the game was the intro video.

Oh well. Good benchmark I guess.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
No no, I am saying the game should play good. From the first 30 minutes this looks like it is going to be pretty dull but I am a sucker, and have been wanting to play though it for a while.

Yasae

Banned
Drkirby said:
No no, I am saying the game should play good. From the first 30 minutes this looks like it is going to be pretty dull but I am a sucker, and have been wanting to play though it for a while.
It's certainly a lot more dull than the two before it, and I found those tiresome to begin with. The story's passable, some of the story fights are tough, and it's nice-looking. You'll have a nice showcase.

Plus it does have a few more anime FMVs further in.

Mik2121

So.. I was wondering. This is my first time trying any sort of PS2 emulation. I have a few ps2 games I saved after selling my PS2 because I thought I'd be able to play them on my PS3, but because of the lack of BC I got stuck with these games.. and selling them would be worthless as I would not get all that much money from them.

Now, I thought with this emulator I'd be able to, well, emulate a PS2 so I could play these games, but it seems you need to dump a BIOS from your *own* PS2 console. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of an emulator? Unless you just wanna play the games in higher resolution?..

Or am I missing something?

I guess I'll have to go and grab a used PS2 for cheap.

I'm interested in this, but I'm pretty sure my hardware is far too shitty to really run anything well.

Athlon 64 X2 5200 2.7GHz, ~3 gigs of ram(DDR2), and an nvidia 9600GT 1GB

Mainly interested in re-playing the KH series after playing Birth By Sleep, but having seen screenshots of KH2 running on an emulator.. I don't think I can bring myself to play it on an SDTV again. :(

EGM92

you're not going to be running anything that's 3D, 2D games should run fine.

I haven't touched the emu since I had my i7 975EE @ 4.5ghz and an ATI 5970 and besides graphic errors the framerate in KH2 was jumpy and in some parts unplayable. There game wasn't 100% playable when I tried playing it, it would freeze about 15min in. Goodluck though. I played Disgaea 1 and phantom brave on the emu and those were flawless.

Ajemsuhgao said:
I'm interested in this, but I'm pretty sure my hardware is far too shitty to really run anything well.

Mainly interested in re-playing the KH series after playing Birth By Sleep, but having seen screenshots of KH2 running on an emulator.. I don't think I can bring myself to play it on an SDTV again. :(

Can you overclock your CPU? Get it above 3.0GHZ and you'll be in a lot better shape.

Hey, I'm running an i5 760 @ 2.8 GHz with a 6950 2GB and 4 GB of DDR3 RAM. How well could I run KH2 at a high-ish res (720p)? I have the game on PS2 and after seeing screenshots I don't really wanna play through it on my old SDTV anymore.

I was running a 460 GTX about 5 months ago but had to swap it out because it ended up dying on me and bought the 6950, and Dolphin ran amazingly with the 460. Would I get similar (or better, considering the new card) experience with PCSX2?

kpeezy

Banned
I'm looking for some advice. I can run Dark Cloud 2 at 60FPS no problem. I'm using 3x native resolution. I get frequent slowdown in DQVIII though. I'm dropping to ~50fps.

Setup:
i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz
4870 512mb
6GB ram

Clevinger

Different games are differently optimized and some need more power than others. Try lowering the resolution x to 1 or 2 and see if you get full speed.

kpeezy

Banned
Clevinger said:
Different games are differently optimized and some need more power than others. Try lowering the resolution x to 1 or 2 and see if you get full speed.

Yeah, I understand that. 2x doesn't look nearly as good but it's full speed no problem. I was running at 60FPS until I got into the first town. I assume it's my GPU that is the bottleneck? I'm hoping to upgrade that soon for more VRAM.

I'm struggling to get it working on Mac, I have a brand new MBP and have installed the X11 / CG and everything but I can't get xterm to fire up correctly. Can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Teknoman

Yasae said:
HA! No, not really. The best part of the game was the intro video.

Oh well. Good benchmark I guess.

Aw seriously? I remember everyone going on about how great the first 3 Suikoden titles were...whats bad about the game? I have 1 on PSN and found 3 for a decent price awhile back, but havent had the time to play either.

Does persona 4 works fully in this? if so which version and which video plugin should I use? ALso what speed hacks should I enable? I saw some screen with bad floor graphics, like rainbows and flickers, I hope this gets fixed

For Shadow of the Colossus, you need to set that cycle rate thing to 3x. I get near full framerates with a crummy X2 5000+.

Ajemsuhgao said:

We have the same card, and I have an X2 5000+. KH2 runs at 70-100% framerate for me. It really depends on what's happening. General rule of thumb is that 3.0GHz dual core will run most everything at 100%.

Clevinger

kpeezy said:
Yeah, I understand that. 2x doesn't look nearly as good but it's full speed no problem. I was running at 60FPS until I got into the first town. I assume it's my GPU that is the bottleneck? I'm hoping to upgrade that soon for more VRAM.

Could be. But there's only so much a video card or CPU can do when the emulator isn't fully optimized to certain games.

seat

I'm sorry I haven't been following this emulator for a while, but is there any consensus on the plug-ins and settings that worked best for Ico? I remember when I tried to jump into this last year, the game wouldn't work past the introduction.

Sophia

sotodefonk said:
Does persona 4 works fully in this? if so which version and which video plugin should I use? ALso what speed hacks should I enable? I saw some screen with bad floor graphics, like rainbows and flickers, I hope this gets fixed

Persona 3 & Persona 4 work perfectly. The floor graphics bug has been fixed (and if I recall hasn't been in DirectX 11 to begin with) and you should ideally run with the DirectX plugin. I'll let you know what Speedhacks I've run with in a bit, but it's not a very demanding game.

will a 2.8ghz Phenom II X4 (quad core) + Radeon HD 4870 1gb + 4gb DDR2-1066 allow me to continue playing Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy after my 60gb PS3 bites the dust eventually?

Wolf Akela said:
We have the same card, and I have an X2 5000+. KH2 runs at 70-100% framerate for me. It really depends on what's happening. General rule of thumb is that 3.0GHz dual core will run most everything at 100%.

resolution limitations?

my monitor is 1080p native. :x

Chairhome

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
will a 2.8ghz Phenom II X4 (quad core) + Radeon HD 4870 1gb + 4gb DDR2-1066 allow me to continue playing Dark Cloud 2 and Rogue Galaxy after my 60gb PS3 bites the dust eventually?

my monitor is 1080p native. :x
I have almost the same set up with my Phenom slightly overclocked (I believe to 3.3). It didn't work very well before, but Rogue Galaxy now works pretty well, some minor slowdown at 2x resolution.

x3sphere

Megadrive said:
Hey, I'm running an i5 760 @ 2.8 GHz with a 6950 2GB and 4 GB of DDR3 RAM. How well could I run KH2 at a high-ish res (720p)? I have the game on PS2 and after seeing screenshots I don't really wanna play through it on my old SDTV anymore.

I was running a 460 GTX about 5 months ago but had to swap it out because it ended up dying on me and bought the 6950, and Dolphin ran amazingly with the 460. Would I get similar (or better, considering the new card) experience with PCSX2?

Yes, no problem, my i5 540M and 310M can run KH2 @ 60FPS.

Yasae

Banned
Teknoman said:
Aw seriously? I remember everyone going on about how great the first 3 Suikoden titles were...whats bad about the game? I have 1 on PSN and found 3 for a decent price awhile back, but havent had the time to play either.
It's boring and uneventful. I don't know how to describe it other than that. I soldiered through the entire third entry, but felt the same way about Suikoden 2 fifteen hours in and quit since I hadn't played it beforehand. I have no idea on earth what makes these games so great. They seem a little above average and that's it; no special story, no special characters, bland, contrived settings, hardly any unique features to the battle system... So what's the big deal?

I was a lot more impressed with Xenosaga the following year. That game hits you over the head with its plot, but fuck, at least it leaves some kind of impression. I'd have to go back and review Suikoden 3 through a few Let's Play vids because it's a bit tough to remember in detail... Because it's so abhorrently forgettable and dry.

scotcheggz

Do backup iso images work better than discs in this or are they about the same? I've been playing persona 3 from the disc, but it stutters a bit in the cutscenes, would an iso image counter that? If so, how would I go about turning my eu persona 3 into an iso?

Also, this is a build about a year old, so possibly a new build of pcsx2 might fix it anyway. What do you reckon?

RickA238

scotcheggz said:
Do backup iso images work better than discs in this or are they about the same? I've been playing persona 3 from the disc, but it stutters a bit in the cutscenes, would an iso image counter that? If so, how would I go about turning my eu persona 3 into an iso?

Also, this is a build about a year old, so possibly a new build of pcsx2 might fix it anyway. What do you reckon?

Using an ISO absolutely makes a difference in some games; particularly with the FMV stuttering you mentioned. A lot of games that are constantly loading during gameplay will run much better as well. Some games will only work as an ISO, such as Xenosaga. Making a Xenosaga ISO is a bit tricky, as you have to make a double-disc ISO iirc.

As far as creating ISO images, I mostly use Alcohol 120%. I've also used CloneDVD a bit.

I stole x3sphere's internal res, these screenshots are of Kingdom Hearts II at 1680x1050. The ones with the black bars are cutscene shots. Ran consistently well using the DirectX 11 plugin at 49-50 fps (standard).

edit: as above, my specs are i5 760 (2.80), HD6950 (OC'd to HD6970).

510e70573bca51a824e345d5cff7448f740203fb.png

c82d1b09cf32291761d4d994cf71d150cbfab21c.png

http://i.picpar.com/129bcdb9bbdbd9bba49b7e1eb1ec49698604f0b0.png
http://i.picpar.com/001f243e90eb5e7108090af4a9137555c68eb351.png
http://i.picpar.com/a56260db2f693f2d6557e45253a833431ae2ed71.png
http://i.picpar.com/4c3692e898a9f2413cf64c59a5341d49c6085fa7.png

I'll do some of my other games later.

RickA238

Megadrive said:
I stole x3sphere's internal res, these screenshots are of Kingdom Hearts II at 1680x1050. The ones with the black bars are cutscene shots. Ran consistently well using the DirectX 11 plugin at 49-50 fps (standard).

edit: as above, my specs are i5 760 (2.80), HD6950 (OC'd to HD6970).

Damn dude, you must really love upscaling. I can't stand playing on anything but the native aspect ratio. The wideface look makes me dizzy. Plus all the sprites look terrible when stretched out like that IMO.

scotcheggz

Well, I ripped my disc to an iso and updated pcsx2 to 0.9.7 and holy shit, persona 3 is running perfectly, full speed and looks amazing. Even more amazing considering I'm running it on an old core2duo laptop with a 8600M gpu.

Thanks guys! I heard P4 runs pretty much the same as P3 and I never bought that because my phat died before it came out in eu. Time to go buy it from the bargain bin I think!

seat

Is it just me, or is the combat invariably frustrating in ICO when trying to use an Xbox 360 controller? I don't recall it being this hard to control on PS2 hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom