• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dascu

seat said:
Is it just me, or is the combat invariably frustrating in ICO when trying to use an Xbox 360 controller? I don't recall it being this hard to control on PS2 hardware.
It's not just you. For some reason, both Team ICO games suffer heavily from a deadzone with a 360 controller (Lilypad plugin). It can make basic movement and actions a tedious chore.

Drkirby said:
I find it an utter disgrace you have such disrespect for the aspect ratio in those KHII shots.

You know, I didn't even notice when I was playing it. I'll redo the screenshots in its normal aspect ratio tonight and post the difference.

edit: i just kinda assumed the widescreen hack support was as good as dolphins is.

seat

Dascu said:
It's not just you. For some reason, both Team ICO games suffer heavily from a deadzone with a 360 controller (Lilypad plugin). It can make basic movement and actions a tedious chore.
Thanks, Dascu. It's unfortunate that the 360 controller doesn't work properly, but I'm very glad to know it's not just me.

So are the problems with ICO's controls solely with the 360 pad? I have a Logitech Rumblepad 2 that might work better. I suppose I'll give that a shot.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Dascu said:
That is a problem more with the 360 controller, which has 20% deadzones due to the stick not returning to the cernter. Just pick up a cheap PS2 -> USB if you want to use a PS2 controller (And aren't to stuck up on having rumble)

edit: i just kinda assumed the widescreen hack support was as good as dolphins is.
There is no widescreen hack in PCSX2 yet, it just stretches the screen to fit.

x3sphere

Castlevania LoI

ec7b0d3d585da82db27e1c5e2ff7a98dae253695.jpg

89dbd3a19cee7520d803e93d660c6cefa021fdca.jpg

dc6d004754b897048b4c2d1550eefc22c047093a.jpg

x3sphere

Dragon Quest VIII. This game is very demanding on the GPU, still runs comfortably at 2560x1440 though. Some dips down to 50 in cutscenes, otherwise 60.

96c2b633735be0ea89a5301e61957b0c1376c398.jpg

182509624398469365161af2b6b53fe33d93f01e.jpg

gotee12

gregor7777 said:
Don't get discouraged if it runs like shit though. SotC is not the best showcase for PCSX2. Which is a shame, really.

How sad.

I'm running an XFX 6850 and a 3Ghz quad core (even though PCSX2 only uses 2 cores). Hopefully it will run at a steady 30fps...

Dascu

gotee12 said:
How sad.

I'm running an XFX 6850 and a 3Ghz quad core (even though PCSX2 only uses 2 cores). Hopefully it will run at a steady 30fps...
You should be able to get respectable speeds with a 3Ghz quad core. Might have to fiddle around with speedhacks and whatnot, and it still won't be perfect, but it should be much better than the framerates on a PS2. And of course at a higher resolution.

Marrshu said:
Persona 3 & Persona 4 work perfectly. The floor graphics bug has been fixed (and if I recall hasn't been in DirectX 11 to begin with) and you should ideally run with the DirectX plugin. I'll let you know what Speedhacks I've run with in a bit, but it's not a very demanding game.

Any update regarding this? Im waiting to see your setup. I bought persona 4 from amazon, and just checked and it does some flicker on some floors... maybe it is something that I need to activate or something... also there are some ghosting when objects are moving, Im using the video plugin gsdx-sse2-r3878 in DX10 mode (I have a HD4850 so no DX11 :( ), with PCSX2 0.9.7.r3876.

Other than that the game runs just fine, some slow downs but just that. CAn I fix those things I mentioned?

These is a screenshot showing both the flicker floor and ghosting:

U0O5N.jpg

And some screens just to show how it looks, I didnt see screenshots for this game:

uKOLK.jpg

2kgCt.jpg

unn3z.jpg

qye14.jpg

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Is there a simple(ish) tutorial/guide for setting this up? I recently build an i7 rig and want to test FFXII on it.

Zomba13

Ermac said:
Is there a simple(ish) tutorial/guide for setting this up? I recently build an i7 rig and want to test FFXII on it.
I remember there being a great tutorial on the PCSX2 forums but that was aaaaaaages ago (loads of versions ago) so I don't know if it will still be there.
FFXII should run great though. There might be some problems with the floor textures in some areas but it'll run great.

Ermac said:
I would like to know this as well since I wanna replay this game on emulation but when I tried it got all glitchy on me.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I just started configuring this about an hour ago and now I'm playing FFXII in an insanely high resolution. It looks so good.

Sophia

sotodefonk said:
Any update regarding this? Im waiting to see your setup. I bought persona 4 from amazon, and just checked and it does some flicker on some floors... maybe it is something that I need to activate or something... also there are some ghosting when objects are moving, Im using the video plugin gsdx-sse2-r3878 in DX10 mode (I have a HD4850 so no DX11 :( ), with PCSX2 0.9.7.r3876.

Other than that the game runs just fine, some slow downs but just that. CAn I fix those things I mentioned?

Sorry, I was in the middle of a raid when I posted that, and totally forgot all about it. I'm using an AMD Athlon II X2 250 (3.0GHz), 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM, and a Radeon HD 5670 running in DirectX11 mode. gsdx 3693 in SSE2. Here's my speedhack settings.

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy207/Marrshu/speedhacks.jpg

Make sure you turned on the game fix for Persona 3/4

1280x720 image running at the default 1024x1024 Internal res. I've had no slowdown and issues at all except during the scene where you first meet Dojima. (Yes, this image is stretched, I was lazy and didn't change the setting.)

wv30b8.jpg

Same settings minus stretching, running Persona 3 FES no issues aside from the Tartarus map. Screenshot was taken directly from the emulator this time.

gsdx_20110205010502.jpg

scotcheggz

I got Persona 3 working flawlessly on my laptop, I thought. I've been having this problem when after you play for 10-15 minutes the framerate drops to a crawl. I installed a heat monitoring program and it seems the CPU frequency is cutting right down when the slowdown happens. My temps are getting around 80C, but then as a laptop, it's always been quite hot.

I figure I should probably stop playing it and give it up until I build my desktop later in the year, but sort of hoping I'm wrong and there is a quick fix or something... anyone else had this kind of problem? Does it seem like it's cutting the frequency to reduce stress/heat? I think it pretty much does :(

scotcheggz

gregor7777 said:
Yeah sounds like CPU throttling. Probably trying to protect the laptop.

Yeh that's what I thought, I just played it propped up at the back and it didnt go higher than 76C and didn't get any slowdowns. Since I'm playing it through HDMI on ym TV, propping it up isn't really a problem, but I might open it up and see if the fans need cleaning too. I've never done it in three years, so they probably do!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Brazil said:
I just started configuring this about an hour ago and now I'm playing FFXII in an insanely high resolution. It looks so good.
Did you follow a guide anywhere? Or just winged it.

scotcheggz

Vorador said:
Two things would probably help.

1º Cleaning the laptop. For example see this video to get an idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwr3vxSErs0
2º Buy a cooling pad. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OHFI8S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks for that, I'd never heard of those cooling pads before. I just played it for about 45 minutes, monitoring the temps with a house fan blowing on the underside of it. It kept it down to around 65C the whole time, high of 68C and zero slowdowns. I think I'll invest in one of those cooling pads, since it seems like thats the trick.

Crazy how CPU intensive this thing is though huh? I don't think Ive ever noticed my laptop getting that hot it's effecting performance before, even with games like ANNO etc.

S. L.

scotcheggz said:
Thanks for that, I'd never heard of those cooling pads before. I just played it for about 45 minutes, monitoring the temps with a house fan blowing on the underside of it. It kept it down to around 65C the whole time, high of 68C and zero slowdowns. I think I'll invest in one of those cooling pads, since it seems like thats the trick.

Crazy how CPU intensive this thing is though huh? I don't think Ive ever noticed my laptop getting that hot it's effecting performance before, even with games like ANNO etc.
usually this shouldn't happen with a laptop thou. that's poor construction.

scotcheggz

S. L. said:
usually this shouldn't happen with a laptop thou. that's poor construction.

Well, it is a Dell, you can't expect too much, even from an "XPS" :lol

This fucker has had new RAM, new MOBO and 3 new power supplies since I bought it. All on warranty luckily enough.

x3sphere

scotcheggz said:
Well, it is a Dell, you can't expect too much, even from an "XPS" :lol

This fucker has had new RAM, new MOBO and 3 new power supplies since I bought it. All on warranty luckily enough.

With Dell I stick to their business class laptops, the Latitude line has amazing build quality.

Well, I just tested this out after being bummed that Dolphin had more requirements than I thought. I went through most of my (small) available PS2 library, and the performance sucks on most of them, or have too many graphical glitches to enjoy. Unfortunately I don't remember the plugins and settings I used for each.

*MGS2: Heavy slowdown, Snake is invisible in gameplay (codecs and cutscenes work okay)
*MGS3: Slowdown, slow speech, black spots where light spots on the forest ground should be,
some missing GUI layers on the codec screen
*Silent Hill 2: Half-screen on one plugin, massive slowdown on another.
*Silent Hill 3: Almost, but not quite, better than the above. Also strange shadows.
*Siren 1: MUCH better using ZeroGS, but now the videos look interlaced, and parts of the level intro screens stick into the gameplay world (like some kind of strange virtual burn-in lol)
*Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X: Worked great in DX9 software(?), until the explosions and enemies appeared.
*Final Fantasy XII: FINALLY, something that almost works great! Just as beautiful as the screenshots suggested, and very fluid so far. Of course, it's also FFXII, so I'm not sure if I actually want to play through again, enhanced visuals or not.

So what are the best-performing games under PCSX2 so far? Is there a list of recommended settings for the above games?

inner-G

Banned
Megadrive said:
I stole x3sphere's internal res, these screenshots are of Kingdom Hearts II at 1680x1050. The ones with the black bars are cutscene shots. Ran consistently well using the DirectX 11 plugin at 49-50 fps (standard).

edit: as above, my specs are i5 760 (2.80), HD6950 (OC'd to HD6970).

510e70573bca51a824e345d5cff7448f740203fb.png

I'll do some of my other games later.
Uuugh, stretched!!

(/uses this chance to compare my KH1 grab)

KH1.jpg

Dascu

How About No said:
Well, I just tested this out after being bummed that Dolphin had more requirements than I thought. I went through most of my (small) available PS2 library, and the performance sucks on most of them, or have too many graphical glitches to enjoy. Unfortunately I don't remember the plugins and settings I used for each.

*MGS2: Heavy slowdown, Snake is invisible in gameplay (codecs and cutscenes work okay)
*MGS3: Slowdown, slow speech, black spots where light spots on the forest ground should be,
some missing GUI layers on the codec screen
*Silent Hill 2: Half-screen on one plugin, massive slowdown on another.
*Silent Hill 3: Almost, but not quite, better than the above. Also strange shadows.
*Siren 1: MUCH better using ZeroGS, but now the videos look interlaced, and parts of the level intro screens stick into the gameplay world (like some kind of strange virtual burn-in lol)
*Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X: Worked great in DX9 software(?), until the explosions and enemies appeared.
*Final Fantasy XII: FINALLY, something that almost works great! Just as beautiful as the screenshots suggested, and very fluid so far. Of course, it's also FFXII, so I'm not sure if I actually want to play through again, enhanced visuals or not.

So what are the best-performing games under PCSX2 so far? Is there a list of recommended settings for the above games?
1) What are your specs?
2) The Final Fantasy games and most Atlus RPGs (the MegaTen series in particular) run rather well.
3) Software mode in your graphics plugin will usually solve any visual issues, however, it's also a ton more CPU-intensive.
4) Some of the games you posted have good PC versions, if you really want to play them in a higher-resolution.

Dascu said:
1) What are your specs?
2) The Final Fantasy games and most Atlus RPGs (the MegaTen series in particular) run rather well.
3) Software mode in your graphics plugin will usually solve any visual issues, however, it's also a ton more CPU-intensive.
4) Some of the games you posted have good PC versions, if you really want to play them in a higher-resolution.
1)Quad 3.2 speed(And the emu only uses 2 cores, right?)
2)Hurray!...Well I guess I could try X-2
3)I'll try to play with software modes a bit more then
4)B-b-but then I'd have to buy them again!

Dascu

How About No said:
1)Quad 3.2 speed(And the emu only uses 2 cores, right?)
2)Hurray!...Well I guess I could try X-2
3)I'll try to play with software modes a bit more then
4)B-b-but then I'd have to buy them again!
Don't use software mode. It's way too much for the CPU to handle.

inner-G said:
Uuugh, stretched!!

(/uses this chance to compare my KH1 grab)

[url]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f71/nikuluffy/KH1.jpg[/url] [IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I get it now. It's been mentioned a few times. Currently uploading proper aspect-ratio shots.

edit: Fixed shots (I hope). Are these better?

[img]http://i.picpar.com/b9b3615112d17f3c82a6e0245ac17b90df73d086.png
cde1fd5b82420801431766c301a008f272965f42.png

http://i.picpar.com/3554c37d6db80984a6e1bf3e470ae61913c0d42c.png
http://i.picpar.com/116f0f0b2599ae2aa28d6b13a3d297e28c4b04f7.png

seat

The Logitech Rumblepad 2 seems to work a little bit better for ICO, but movement is still frustrating at times. Would a Dual Shock 3 work better? I read somewhere that there were drivers made to get the PS3 controller up and running on a PC.

I'm starting to wonder if part of the problem is that ICO may be a bit dated.

seat said:
The Logitech Rumblepad 2 seems to work a little bit better for ICO, but movement is still frustrating at times. Would a Dual Shock 3 work better? I read somewhere that there were drivers made to get the PS3 controller up and running on a PC.

I'm starting to wonder if part of the problem is that ICO may be a bit dated.
Theres been DS3 drivers released for a while now. They work great.

Ryck

I am sorry to post such a question but how does one go about ripping a game? I just got the Emulator working and I hear that games run better if they are ripped.

Ryck said:
I am sorry to post such a question but how does one go about ripping a game? I just got the Emulator working and I hear that games run better if they are ripped.
There's a million different programs you can use to dump the disc image from your computer's DVD drive. I suggest using ImgBurn.

Ryck

nincompoop said:
There's a million different programs you can use to dump the disc image from your computer's DVD drive. I suggest using ImgBurn.
Thank you, worked perfectly. I got everything working pretty well, problem is my comp seems to slow to run the games. I am playing Dq8, I had to lower my screen rez for 1080 to 800x600 just to get to run decently and even then its a bit slow. Any advice on the settings ( I already switched it to native res) to make it run a bit better?

I have

3.0 Core2duo
Gigabyte G41m-es2l MB
4 gigs of Ram ( 3.5 useable)
Geforece 8400 gs 512vrm
Running Win 7 Home.

MBison

I finally have a rig good enough to run PCSX2 at great speeds. I installed the latest beta build and am gonna play FF12 for the first time.

I basically want to make sure I'm not limiting myself regarding how good this thing can look. The only settings I've charged are:

GS Window: Changed to Widescreen and set the res to my desktop res (1920 x 1200 or whatever is 1080p)

In the GS plug in, I switched to DX11 hardware and altered the "in-game" res to like 1600x900. I had no idea what I should be doing here.

That's all I've altered. It looks pretty damn good already (and runs flawlessly) but just want to make sure from the tweak veterans that I'm not missing out on some other visual enhancements. Please help me out!

Chesskid1

Banned
MBison said:
Widescreen and set the res to my desktop res (1920 x 1200 or whatever is 1080p)

In the GS plug in, I switched to DX11 hardware and altered the "in-game" res to like 1600x900. I had no idea what I should be doing here.

Use scaling, 3x seems fine, maybe even higher. it means, it multiplies the original ps resolution x 3. make sure you choose the right GS depending on your processor.

MBison

Thanks Chesskid. Should I be able to figure out what GS to use pretty easily? (i'm on a different comp right now and not looking at pcsx2). I have an i7.

Also, should I not be changing that internal res line in the standard GS plugin config?

thanks for the help!

Chesskid1

Banned
MBison said:
Thanks Chesskid. Should I be able to figure out what GS to use pretty easily? (i'm on a different comp right now and not looking at pcsx2). I have an i7.

Also, should I not be changing that internal res line in the standard GS plugin config?

thanks for the help!

the D3d internal res only works if you have scaling set to 1x, otherwise it's off.

i7 is listed here so when choosing plugins, choose the the one with SSSE3 in the name. read pcsx2 forums alot, they have some great guides there as well for really tweaking with speedhacks. ff12 runs great and you don't really need to tinker.

edit: actually you might want to use sse4. check out the configuration guide

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-Official-English-PCSX2-configuration-guide-v0-9-7#Gfx

Negator

I'm currently going to try and run this with a Core 2 Duo setup with a 8800GTS with 2GB of ram.

Hopefully it goes well. If not, I want to see this thing run on the new computer I'm working on.

Hmm...A little choppy. I might tweak some settings later

Dwayne

Anyone got some nice shots from Yakuza? Just finished the first game and am starting the second (on console), looks awesome enough on PS2 but can't imagine how good it must look with a proper PC setup. cheers

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Finally decided to try this out again... I think the last time I did was when I rage quit Ratchet & Clank because my 80 gb PS3 has shit emulation powers. Anyways, I decided to try out Medal of Honor Frontlines and it worked pretty much perfect.

pcsx2%202011-02-13%2002-03-10-61.jpg

pcsx2%202011-02-13%2002-06-24-67.jpg

pcsx2%202011-02-13%2002-09-29-28.jpg

Game is still shit in comparison to MOH Allied Assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom