• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE 1991

Easy_D said:
Decided to finally try out how Final Fantasy X runs on PCSX2 but I'm running into some issues. Everything works just fine, game emulates perfectly, but there is a slight sound desync during cutscenes, or at least it looks that way.

And I don't really remember it being noticable on an actual PS2 so.

I'm currently playing through FFX, and I'm having the same issue.

Wazzim said:
Does that give a better or worse image than 1080P as internal resolution?
6x Scaling should be better since it is 6 times the native resolution but most do not see a difference above 4x. Typically you are better off running at internal res being the max of your monitor from a performance standpoint unless you have a pretty powerful card.

Ledsen

So I want to try my copy of Persona 4 on my computer instead of on my PS2. I have my ISO of Persona 4, and I've downloaded and installed PCSX2 from their website. Now what? Do I need other stuff as well? Some specific settings? Also, can I transfer my save from my PS2 (I have Free McBoot)?

Vorador

Banned
Ledsen said:
So I want to try my copy of Persona 4 on my computer instead of on my PS2. I have my ISO of Persona 4, and I've downloaded and installed PCSX2 from their website. Now what? Do I need other stuff as well? Some specific settings? Also, can I transfer my save from my PS2 (I have Free McBoot)?

You need to dump your ps2 bios. If your ps2 is modded you can find tutorials to do so.

nejadb

Neo Member
Ledsen said:
Follow the instructions on the site to setup your client, then run the game. You don't need your hand held :)

Ledsen

nejadb said:
Follow the instructions on the site to setup your client, then run the game. You don't need your hand held :)

You're right I guess, I was just being lazy :p I'll get it working for sure.

onken

Goes without saying but man, this 2.0ghz i7 kicks the shit out of my old 3.0ghz c2d, finally getting 60fps on MGS3, hooray!

e~ though can someone with a working DMC configuration post their build version and GSdx version? Getting some funkiness and want to see if it's my config or the build versions that's at fault.

Ledsen

Wow, I can't believe my 1-year old, pretty cheap laptop with and 2.13 Ghz i3 330m and HD5650 can run Persona 4 at basically a constant 60 fps... hurray for emulation :D

kpeezy

Banned
I'm able to run Dark Cloud at 4x native res, at 5x the FPS starts to drop into the 40s. This is so amazing. I've lost so many saves thanks to my brother all those years ago and my BC 80GB PS3 recently dying. I'm so happy to never lose a save again.

mclem

kpeezy said:
I'm able to run Dark Cloud at 4x native res, at 5x the FPS starts to drop into the 40s. This is so amazing. I've lost so many saves thanks to my brother all those years ago and my BC 80GB PS3 recently dying. I'm so happy to never lose a save again.

Cue hard disc failure.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
FFX

pcsx2-r38782011-04-041y9ad.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-0418xck.png

Radiata Stories

pcsx2-r38782011-04-041xlow.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-0419lu0.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-041ran9.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-041olhi.png

There's 1 specific reaction at the beginning of the game which I forgot to cap. Will do that later.

I remember seeing a video a while back of Shadow of the Colossus running at 60 frames per second in PCSX2, and someone also said it was possible to get Ico to run at 60 as well. But when I tried them out last night on my beastly new PC, they were still running at the same framerate that they run at on the PS2. Is there a setting I have to enable to unlock the framerate?

LiquidMetal14

I still want to get back to FF12 but I think I want to boot up more games. I may cap Valkyrie Profile Silmeria once I get done playing some other games.

Okami too.

Elios83

It's incredible how much of this gen graphical beauty depends just on the higher resolution.
FF12 really deserves an official HD treatment from SE.

Negator

I seem to be having problems with Ar Tonelico. Anyone able to identify what's wrong?

2q8wmcm.jpg

zk318x.jpg

25880mf.jpg

I guess it's good enough if I want to play through the game, it just irks me a little.

Clevinger

Negator said:
I seem to be having problems with Ar Tonelico. Anyone able to identify what's wrong?

I guess it's good enough if I want to play through the game, it just irks me a little.

Have you tried Software Mode in GSDX?

Clevinger

Negator said:
That worked, but now the game runs slower, since it's not using my video card now.

Damn.

If you have a quad core processor, be sure to enable rendering threads. If you do have a quad core, set the threads to 3. (meaning, rendering gets 3 threads, the rest of the emulator gets 1).

Also, mess around with speed hacks and see if that helps.

Negator

Clevinger said:
If you have a quad core processor, be sure to enable rendering threads. If you do have a quad core, set the threads to 3. (meaning, rendering gets 3 threads, the rest of the emulator gets 1).

Also, mess around with speed hacks and see if that helps.

Worked like a charm. Now everything looks right. Thanks!

I guess I can use settings like this when the game doesn't use much 3D anyway.

[Edit]
It appears that it was because I was trying to upscale it. The game looks fine on Direct3D11 Hardware with native PS2 resolution.

2u8f0qp.jpg

kamspy

Any Gaffer tried MGS3 Subistence? It's the only good PS2 game I still own, and I'd love to play it on my PC.

AMD 955 x4 3.8Ghz
Nvidia 275 GTX

I've read mixed reviews. Wanna know if anyone here has been able to play it from start to finish, and what plug ins I should use.

Why are so many of you taking screenshots at the wrong aspect ratio? It makes about half of the recent screenshots in this thread useless

LiquidMetal14

dNA.sequence said:
Why are so many of you taking screenshots at the wrong aspect ratio? It makes about half of the recent screenshots in this thread useless
Which ones specifically? There are many games with options for 16x9 and even if not, the games look great even at full screen.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm gonna have to agree, there are tons of 4:3 screens stretched in this thread and they all look terrible. How do people not notice the fatter characters?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Negator said:
Worked like a charm. Now everything looks right. Thanks!

I guess I can use settings like this when the game doesn't use much 3D anyway.

[Edit]
It appears that it was because I was trying to upscale it. The game looks fine on Direct3D11 Hardware with native PS2 resolution.

2u8f0qp.jpg
You should be able to do any resolution that perfectly scales. Like 2x, 3x, 4x exact. Fire Emblem has a similar issue (Though Dolphin has an option that can allow you to fix it)

LiquidMetal14

Diablohead said:
Your FFX screens are 4:3 stretched
Well aware of that :) Still looks great and that's the last thing I think when playing. I like my games full screen. I don't expect everyone to share those sentiments. I do agree that games do look stretched, I'm definitely not blind to that. I may experiment and try different venues with certain games.

Ledsen

LiquidMetal14 said:
Which ones specifically? There are many games with options for 16x9 and even if not, the games look great even at full screen.

I think you're definitely alone in that opinion :p Great screens otherwise though!

If I want to play games on my 1080 monitor what resolution should I use in order for the picture not to be stretched? I also want to use higher internal res so I get rid of jaggies :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Melhisedek said:
If I want to play games on my 1080 monitor what resolution should I use in order for the picture not to be stretched? I also want to use higher internal res so I get rid of jaggies :)
I tend to do 1440 x 1080, which 4:3 version of something with a vertical height of 1080.

i really, reallyyyyy want to play final fantasy 12 this way, as i've yet to play the game at all & now i've been spoilt by these lovely screens. thing is, i'm running a macbook pro. is there a good mac version of the programme/anyone use it? if not, has anyone tried running it on boot camp windows? is there anything different between that and 'vanilla' windows that would cause problems?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Did someone ever hack the FFXII game to have an HD HUD and text? That'd make the game pretty much perfect. Or is that illegal?

Negator

Drkirby said:
I tend to do 1440 x 1080, which 4:3 version of something with a vertical height of 1080.

What would be an appropriate resolution for a 1680 x 1050? (I need a new monitor!)

If my maths is correct, it would be 1400 x 1050 right?

LiquidMetal14

Teetris said:
Did someone ever hack the FFXII game to have an HD HUD and text? That'd make the game pretty much perfect. Or is that illegal?
I don't think it is but I really don't know for sure. You really ignore all that in-game though. It looks sharp even if the text and such look worse. Other games are definitely bigger culprits.

Chesskid1

Banned
i've always used 3x scaling for all my games (so internal resolution is ignored) and full screen. You can toggle the aspect ratio between 16:9 and 4:3 in options, the resolution doesn't have to match your screen.

Clott

Wow, I don't think I will need my BC on the PS3 anymore. The last new PS2 game I bought was Digital Devil Sage, I might as well play it on my PC when I get to it, Did anyone else get the game to run?

ChryZ

Clott said:
Wow, I don't think I will need my BC on the PS3 anymore. The last new PS2 game I bought was Digital Devil Sage, I might as well play it on my PC when I get to it, Did anyone else get the game to run?
Careful, some games are still not working with PCSX2.

You can check this list: http://pcsx2.net/compat.php?c=key

Not completely up-to-date, but a good start.

Atolm

Clott said:

Yeah, it works just fine, like every other game with the same engine (Persona 3&4, SMTIII Nocturne...)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm still hoping for the Ratchet and Clank series to get perfected. I have the 80 gb partial BC PS3 and the games run like shit on it and I'd love to actually get to play the games.

woober

I emulated FFX and found the backgrounds in battles to be very blurry. Is that supposed to happen or are my settings off? I'm not at my home pc right now so I cant say exactly what settings I have on or take a screenshot.

LiquidMetal14

I went back to the DX9 renderer as I was reading on the forum that it's basically best to stay with that. A few more FF12 shots as I'm slowly going through it on PC now.

pcsx2-r38782011-04-061fn6j.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-061vng3.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-061zuvf.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-0619udi.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-061luo0.png

Stallion Free said:
I'm still hoping for the Ratchet and Clank series to get perfected. I have the 80 gb partial BC PS3 and the games run like shit on it and I'd love to actually get to play the games.
Are you using the latest SVN releases or the 0.9.6/7 one? I haven't tried Ratchet yet so I can't give you the best advice on that game in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom