• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
I had a go at PCSX2 for the first time on my new build yesterday. Suikoden V never went below 90fps (with the frame limiter off), and even at 3840*2160, my GPUs were only being stressed to about 40%. I guess I'll try even more supersampling tonight. This was without any speed hacks whatsoever. Next step:

5760*3240

I should be able to handle that.

I'm sad I can't find my copy of Shadow of the Colossus. I wanted to give it a shot and see if it was playable.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I usually have VSYNC on, always 60 in every game I throw at it. I use 3x scaling as my TV is not 1080p. Things look amazing no matter what.

Negator

More problems, the game looks fine when I play it, but for some reason the aspect ratio is fucked when I take screenshots :(

Here is the output of PCSX2 (F8) followed by a printscreen I did of my current screen.

Aspect Ratio is set to 16:9 with Progressive Scan, 3x Scaling, and 16:9 is the setting in the game.

Which one is correct?

13yjper.jpg

1g6law.jpg

LiquidMetal14

Did you go into the emulator settings and in the GS settings default it to full screen? Make sure you set it to fit to window/screen in the aspect ratio and see if that helps.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tried DQ9. Framerate gets pretty low at times...40ish. I'm not sure why either. My GPU is barely under load, and my CPU is only at about 50% load as well...not quite sure why I'm hitting a bottleneck. =\

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Have you done the speed hacks yet?

Also, if you have a copy, what kind of framerate do you get with Suikoden III? I had to enable a ton of speed hacks to get that at full speed, despite it never maxing out in any way.

TheExodu5 said:
Tried DQ9. Framerate gets pretty low at times...40ish. I'm not sure why either. My GPU is barely under load, and my CPU is only at about 50% load as well...not quite sure why I'm hitting a bottleneck. =\
Try playing it on a DS emulator instead :p

Kuran

Banned
Getting a new Macbook Pro 15" next tuesday, I'm hoping to finally be able to get playable speeds with Shadow of the Colossus on PCSX2.

Specs:
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200
8x Double-Layer SuperDrive
MBP 15"HR Antiglare WS Display

TheExodu5

Banned
nincompoop said:
Try playing it on a DS emulator instead :p

Meant DQ8. Blast!

Drkirby said:

Also, if you have a copy, what kind of framerate do you get with Suikoden III? I had to enable a ton of speed hacks to get that at full speed, despite it never maxing out in any way.

I'll give it a shot.

Ripping the game now.

LiquidMetal14

I had no speedhacks for DQ8. I get 60fps with no dips ever. I actually turned off the speedhacks because it prevented me from playing my Okami disc. Speaking of which.....

pcsx2-r38782011-04-090eppv.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-090xt4r.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-090sssh.png

pcsx2-r38782011-04-0907tan.png

The game seems to have that soft look even in the original PS2 HW run. Needless to say it still looks a lot better on PCSX2.

Negator

LiquidMetal14 said:
Did you go into the emulator settings and in the GS settings default it to full screen? Make sure you set it to fit to window/screen in the aspect ratio and see if that helps.

Tried all that. The game looks fine, but refuses to look good in screenshots (the hell!)

Ploid 3.0

Crunched said:
Are you trying to run straight off the disc or have you ripped the image? Make sure you have your BIOS configured properly and are using the appropriate plug ins. Also might help if you run the program as an administrator.

You have to put the disk on your hdd? If so that's lame. I was hoping to just put the disk in and play. I had the same problem as the quoted guy. I tried ffxii disk. Is there a guide anywhere? The OP is short and don't really seem to go over anything.

Edit: Oh crap nvm, runs off disk. Did that direct 9 software like the guy that had the problem went to. Playing FFXII HD!

Went to 17fps when the menu showed up. The video before menu plays at 60.

Win 7
Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz
4 gig ddr3 memory
GTX 460 768mb (overclocked 848ghz 2190mem 1.012 volt )

What is a common setting for these things? I only changed the Direct 9 software thing.

Ledsen

Ploid 3.0 said:
You have to put the disk on your hdd? If so that's lame. I was hoping to just put the disk in and play. I had the same problem as the quoted guy. I tried ffxii disk. Is there a guide anywhere? The OP is short and don't really seem to go over anything.

Edit: Oh crap nvm, runs off disk. Did that direct 9 software like the guy that had the problem went to. Playing FFXII HD!

Win 7
Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz
4 gig ddr3 memory

What is a common setting for these things? I only changed the Direct 9 software thing.
Software mode is very compatible but slow as shit. Just rip your disc and put the settings back on default.

LiquidMetal14

Ploid 3.0 said:

Win 7
Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz
4 gig ddr3 memory

You definitely want to use DX9 HW NOT SOFTWARE. It's worth the games running much better with negligible artifacts or glitches than slower than molasses. Most games I've played have no glitches at all but the PS2 is such a varied and complex machine. It's amazing we have this level of emulation from such a complex machine yet others seem to not have this good an emulator out.

Negator said:
Tried all that. The game looks fine, but refuses to look good in screenshots (the hell!)
I'm stumped. Try running it in a window. And did you manually input a resolution in GS settings too? Running out of options lol I'm using PCSX2 0.9.7 (r3878) with the GSdx 4336 SSE2 0.1.16 plugin.

NBtoaster said:
They have extremely garbled textures that probably wont ever be fixed.
However there are moments when things do work and it looks very, very good.
I guess you will have to be content that it works competently enough. The original question from Stallion (I think it was him) as to which version is in use was in answered in the other quote above yours here. I guess it's a magic mixture of settings and plugins, who knows. Every game I've put through the emulator has been pretty much perfect. It's only when I enable certain fixes (not speedhacks) that some games won't load or even work. RRV is all messed up but I that was when I had fixes on for Radiata and FFX. I haven't tried that without the fixes. Okami would simply refuse to boot. That's why it took me a couple more days to post those promised screenshots. Live and learn. I just played with the fixes and shut them off instead of going to the forums lol

I also just notices my version was an SVN release as well. From Oct.5 2010. I have no problems but with RRV so I don't know whether I want to be up to date or not. I will have to research that but it can't hurt to be on the latest version. It might even fix RRV. It runs at 10fps and is oddly stretched. I guess that's because it's not true 16x9 (duh). I hope to try VP2 Silmeria later on but I'm playing so many games right now that I might not get to it today.

TheExodu5

Banned
Drkirby said:

Giving it a shot right now...oh man I forgot how good the intro is in this game. :eek:

I'll report on the framerate in a minute.

edit: the framerate was fine for a while, but now I'm in a town with a lot of objects, and it's at like 37fps. It's when you first come out of the Inn in the marketplace with Geddoe. No speed hacks. Besides from that spot, no issues. But even with the frame limiter off, it's hit ~70fps or so a lot, which is pretty low considering I'm running a 2500k @ 4.6GHz.

Lettuce

Ok im new to this emulator have downloaded the 0.9.7 beta with the the pre-installed plug-in, and am at a complete loss as to what best to set the gfx settings as, i really want to play Gradius 5. Is there a definate gfx settings??

Clevinger

Lettuce said:
Ok im new to this emulator have downloaded the 0.9.7 beta with the the pre-installed plug-in, and am at a complete loss as to what best to set the gfx settings as, i really want to play Gradius 5. Is there a definate gfx settings??

Just use GSDX Hardware mode. If there's any graphical glitches, try software mode. If you're playing a game and want higher res, notch up the "x resolution" to 2 or 3. You can only do that in Hardware Mode.

Lettuce

Clevinger said:
Just use GSDX Hardware mode. If there's any graphical glitches, try software mode. If you're playing a game and want higher res, notch up the "x resolution" to 2 or 3. You can only do that in Hardware Mode.

Ok cheers i have notice that there is 3 differen GSDX plugins in the plugin window, sse2, sse4 and ssse4, which ones the best to use? And its there any image improvement in using dx9 to dx 11?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
TheExodu5 said:
Giving it a shot right now...oh man I forgot how good the intro is in this game. :eek:

I'll report on the framerate in a minute.

edit: the framerate was fine for a while, but now I'm in a town with a lot of objects, and it's at like 37fps. It's when you first come out of the Inn in the marketplace with Geddoe. No speed hacks. Besides from that spot, no issues. But even with the frame limiter off, it's hit ~70fps or so a lot, which is pretty low considering I'm running a 2500k @ 4.6GHz.
Hmm, well, if that is the case I am guessing my computer should run Suikoden V fine when I get to it, since you playing it definitely shows the game has some major bottleneck in the code.

Clevinger

Lettuce said:
Ok cheers i have notice that there is 3 differen GSDX plugins in the plugin window, sse2, sse4 and ssse4, which ones the best to use? And its there any image improvement in using dx9 to dx 11?

Yeah, there's at least some improvement with DX10 over 9. But I don't think it's visually; I think all it does is make things a bit faster. SSE2 and all that stuff doesn't matter much, from what I've heard.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Can't wait until Android tablets get powerful enough to emulate PS2 games. (I doubt such an app would ever be able to be released on an iPad, just jailbroken ones).

Has anyone got Zone of Enders 2 running perfectly? I so want to play through that again in higher res and with better IQ.

Lettuce said:
Ok cheers i have notice that there is 3 differen GSDX plugins in the plugin window, sse2, sse4 and ssse4, which ones the best to use?

those acronyms are from Intel; Streaming SIMD Extensions. just choose the highest level your processer supports.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
x3sphere said:

A bit late but WOW at the IQ in these images. If all games could have that level of IQ I would not mind if this generation went on for another few years. Imagining Gears of War, Killzone 3, etc. running with this image quality would make me so happy. I guess one day we'll be emulating the Xbox360 and PS3 on the PC and I'll get my wish but I feel it's a long way (4+ years) off still...

The edges are sooo smooth, almost no visible jaggies. Amazing. Makes the game look so much better.

Mobius 1

FF XII is fucking ridiculous. They could re release it today running in high resolution on the PS3 with no other enhancements and I'd be happy to pay $60 again.

how do I take screenshots?

I just got a new pc with I5 2500k oc to 4ghz with 8gb ram and gtx 460 1gb gpu.

tried mgs 3 subsistence and it still slowdown in some opening cutscene. also, the color is weird, like the shadow that supposed to look black appear more like dark blue and it's really distracting. I'd like to take screenshot to show it here.

mclaren777

I've randomly skimmed through ~10 pages of this thread but I haven't seen any sign of Gran Turismo 3 yet.

Is there a reason for that?

Callibretto said:
how do I take screenshots?

I just got a new pc with I5 2500k oc to 4ghz with 8gb ram and gtx 460 1gb gpu.

tried mgs 3 subsistence and it still slowdown in some opening cutscene. also, the color is weird, like the shadow that supposed to look black appear more like dark blue and it's really distracting. I'd like to take screenshot to show it here.

I just use Fraps and set it to take screenshots every 10 seconds. Sometimes I take screenshots myself.

LiquidMetal14

mclaren777 said:
I've randomly skimmed through ~10 pages of this thread but I haven't seen any sign of Gran Turismo 3 yet.

Is there a reason for that?
If I can find my disc I will give it a try. That one has been put away forever.

Kenka

Damn, can GAF help to find a decent mounting tool ? For some strange reason, Daemon and MagicISO are pooing on me. Damn thing.

I am asking because I am using Linuz ISO and I get choppy sounds and musics and choppy framrates during the cutscenes. I am wondering if it has something to do with my unability to mount images.

Kenka said:
Damn, can GAF help to find a decent mounting tool ? For some strange reason, Daemon and MagicISO are pooing on me. Damn thing.

I am asking because I am using Linuz ISO and I get choppy sounds and musics and choppy framrates during the cutscenes. I am wondering if it has something to do with my unability to mount images.
You can boot from an ISO image without mounting, which is what I've been doing and it's been fine.

Kenka

Megadrive said:
You can boot from an ISO image without mounting, which is what I've been doing and it's been fine.

I've done that too but I can't localize the source of all this chopiness in the 0.9.6 version. And the 0.9.7 is a source of headscratching. I can download it and install it but I try to run it, nothing happens, it just sucks 108 Ko of memory and that's it.

I wish this thread had an organized method of users being able to submit their personal optimal configs they use for emulating their games... I'd like to dust off my old PS2 collection but don't know what plugins/settings to use.

ala the Dolphin Thread.

Kenka

Great, now it works. But I had to go through some hassle with Windows. Weird.

I am wondering why I can't use Zero GS in the graphics setup. Would have loved to apply 16x AA to FF XII.

Cuban Legend said:
I wish this thread had an organized method of users being able to submit their personal optimal configs they use for emulating their games... I'd like to dust off my old PS2 collection but don't know what plugins/settings to use.

ala the Dolphin Thread.
Yeah, a new official thread would be great.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
I can start a new topic, if no one else is up for it...

I can only provide settings for a very few games, but I'll try to be diligent about updating the OP with other people's submitted configs.

ExMachina said:

I can only provide settings for a very few games, but I'll try to be diligent about updating the OP with other people's submitted configs.
This man for president!

Kenka

ExMachina said:

That would be much welcome. Dolphin thread was extremely helpful.

Grinchy

Banned
Norante said:
FF XII is fucking ridiculous. They could re release it today running in high resolution on the PS3 with no other enhancements and I'd be happy to pay $60 again.
If I hadn't played through it twice already, I'd probably agree.

Although, I would demand that they re-released it as the international job system version. I never got to experience that.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Okay! I've got the OP ready, I'm just working on putting together a guide (a lazy one first, Persona 4, haha) to serve as a template. The new thread should be up sometime tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom