• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn Jillette's 10 Commandments for atheists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah! Gawd, these meanie atheists are just as annoying as those good, hard-working, honest religious folk! I wish they'd just shut up, hide in the shadows, and stop telling people they exist! They are harshing my mellow!

LuchaShaq

Banned
Bit-Bit said:
But if you're going to be apart of this society, then learn to love and help your fellow man. Cause when you get sick, it's gonna be another human that will take care of you. Whether it's a doctor or your love ones, you won't last long without us.

Just because I think the average person is a mostly worthless sack of meat doesn't mean that there aren't people that I love and care about, or that I want to live secluded in the woods. One of my absolutely favorite things to do on earth is watch dumb people get confused. Also someone can be dumb and worthless without being evil or worthy of death. I just don't see why most people's lives should be deemed special or worth grieving over. I'd even include myself the only reason I give a shit about keeping my own life is because well it's mine, not that I've done anything amazing or special.

Isn't this more some type of humanist BS than atheism?

Atheism is a just a lack of belief in gods/supernatural beings. There is no need to be writing up societal rules under the banner of atheism just to compensate for a perceived deficit in being rational. Let the crazies think what they want without trying to please them by showing them you're not the spawn of satan.

Riposte said:
What good is being atheist if you are going try and lay Christian-flavored morality onto each other(or even yourself)?
The 10 commandments have existed in some form or another in every religion, whether they predate Christianity or not. They're simply rules to lead a good, moral life by - morals in this case largely having been decided upon collectively by thousands of years of human society.

I don't think there is anything Christian about them.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Stumpokapow said:
These aren't really for atheists, they're for humanists, and I've never understood why prominent humanists have been so preoccupied by the God question when they're clearly intelligent thinkers and good writers when it comes to the far more important human question.

(this is not directed at Gaborn's title, but rather Penn's self-identification as atheist first and foremost)

For some reason in my head, humanist and libertarian doesn't go well together.

Slavik81

Buddha Beam said:
The 10 commandments have existed in some form or another in every religion, whether they predate Christianity or not. They're simply rules to lead a good, moral life by - morals in this case largely having been decided upon collectively by thousands of years of human society.

I don't think there is anything Christian about them.
The second half are generally good advice, sure. But the first 5 demand that you worship the Christan god, and honor him in various ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom