• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.

acabado

Banned
6yvra88.gif

RiZ III said:
I just watched that video. I'm not going to argue that the game is better than the scores it has been getting. However, reviewers need to realize that a lot of people poured in a lot of time and effort into these projects. They're not always perfect or great, but when some random fat dude on the internet who probably dropped out of college stands there with nappy hair and a dirty shirt all smug talking about your game as if he's some brilliant game designer, well.. I can't say I feel sorry for him. Be a bit more professional, don't be such an ass, and don't treat other peoples hard work with such little respect.

why respect a crap game that they are charging $60 for? Have you seen Ebert and Siskel/roeper. They are downright cruel yet they get respect. Every game and movie take effort to make but clearly **** And ***** was a game that needed a lot more dev time and because they wanted to get the game out early for sales they screwed the gamers.

farnham

Banned
3rdman said:
Jeez dude...The man lost his job and you're happy about it because his writing is "unreasonable" and his attitude doesn't please you...I can't think of anything more pathetic to deride you with other than simply restating your case! LOL.

that guy reviewed games like orangebox, bioshock, halo 3 and call of duty 4... he was.. lets call it the face of gamespot for a long time (after greg K left.. and before that he was just about as influential as greg k).. his attitude his reasoning and his writing often did not match his position..

if he was a news editor like luke smith was for 1up i would not have cared that much..

3rdman said:
...and TP really isn't better than an 8.8.

welcome to 1 year ago

Dot50Cal

Banned
Sorry if its been posted, this topic moved like wildfire.

Update: CNET employee Tim Tracy has posted what appears to be a farewell notice on his GameSpot blog. Until July, Tracy was an editor at GameSpot, and since then has been working for CNET-owned MP3.com. If indeed Tracy is departing, it is unknown if it is related to Gerstmann's dismissal.

via shacknew-s

Gazunta

Hi!

I just want to say that anyone posing as a game developer saying this is a good thing can go and fuck themselves.

This is a disgrace, and we shouldn't be standing for it. 99% of game developers really have no clue what the job of being a game reviewer entails. (Seriously, I spend like half my time at the office explaining how game reviews work to my colleagues whenever one of our games gets a review, it's crazy)

(And this is coming from someone who helped make a game that got 5.5 from them last month, and you didn't see me calling for anyone's head)

Thanks

Alcibiades

looks like I'll be unsubscribing from Buzz Out Loud podcast...

Are Cranky Geeks and dl.tv part of the Cnet network? I have those on my iTunes podcast list and will be ready to dump them too.

Can't wait for this week's TWiT, should be a good one if they bring this up, especially since they will likely have some CNET people on there and Wil Harris I can see standing on the side of gamers/reviewers...

MMaRsu

Banned
Gazunta said:
Hi!

I just want to say that anyone posing as a game developer saying this is a good thing can go and fuck themselves.

This is a disgrace, and we shouldn't be standing for it. 99% of game developers really have no clue what the job of being a game reviewer entails. (Seriously, I spend like half my time at the office explaining how game reviews work to my colleagues whenever one of our games gets a review, it's crazy)

(And this is coming from someone who helped make a game that got 5.5 from them last month, and you didn't see me calling for anyone's head)

Thanks

Yeah it is pretty disgraceful actually. It's weird that some people don't understand how reviewing games actually works :\

p.s I loved VP :)

I found his reviews to be harsh until I actually played the games. He pretty much gained my confidence with his no BS score of 8.8 on TP. Sad to see him go due to fucking moneyhats.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I found his reviews to be harsh until I actually played the games. He pretty much gained my confidence with his no BS score of 8.8 on TP. Sad to see him go due to fucking moneyhats.

Yup, I was pretty shocked at 8.8, till i played it. I fully agree with that score and the review.
TP is a great game

PnCIa

I always liked Gamespot in general because most of the time, they are a bit more critical than the others. Looks like they´re as paid off as the rest though.
No one should be surprised that the game industry is a dirty business just like anything else, wonder where all those perfect 10 scores and other crap come from?

farnham

Banned
dabookerman said:
Yup, I was pretty shocked at 8.8, till i played it. I fully agree with that score and the review.
TP is a great game
uh huh.. and also the wii mote speaker is the fault of the game.. yup.. (not to mention that the idea has proven itself over time)

also.. lets not bring 8.8 up again.. its from one year ago for gods sake

Anthropic

Alcibiades said:
looks like I'll be unsubscribing from Buzz Out Loud podcast...

Are Cranky Geeks and dl.tv part of the Cnet network? I have those on my iTunes podcast list and will be ready to dump them too.

Cranky Geeks and DL.TV are Ziff Davis. Wikipedia has a list of Cnet podcasts.

Eric WK

From that Joyful site about sticks and making fire or some such nonsense:

Update - 7:12 AM EST: Jeff has confirmed his firing to us via e-mail, but says he's "not really able to comment on the specifics of my termination." He added that he's "looking forward to getting back out there and figuring out what's next." We're still digging.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wow...Just noticed this via EvilLore's protest thread.

While I was never a big fan of Gerstmann this is total bullshit. How the hell can Gamespot not think this'll not blow up on 'em?

CTLance

I just now finished reading up on this thread, and I started well over an hour ago.
Holy shit. What a desaster.
6jupg9c.jpg

I think I need a hug.

gdt

Yes, this is horrible, Jeff HAS become the face of GS. While I sometimes disagreed with his score (TP, TH3) he was awesome. The funniest guy on Hotspot, On the Spot, etc. Jeff will be missed.

*hopes that 1up has Jeff's number*

Vagabundo

Maybe I'm missing something in all the outrage, but is there a statement from anyone to say this is true?

Is this all 3rd party rumour or what?

I've gone through the thread and cannot find anything.

itsgreen

Vagabundo said:
Maybe I'm missing something in all the outrage, but is there a statement from anyone to say this is true?

well I think it says enough that cnet didn't comment. /me points at kotaku's article

chase

So a PA says this, but where's the, you know, evidence? Do we just go after this because it makes us seem all grown up?

Eric WK

Vagabundo said:

We know he was fired and we have multiple sources saying it was because of the review. Meanwhile, the video review of K&L as well as its ads have been pulled from Gamespot. Connecting the dots, with no comment from Cnet or anyone, makes it pretty clear that it's probably true. And from the looks of it, Jeff will have been forced to sign an agreement to keep quiet about the situation.

So no, there has been no official word that the review is the reason he was let go and there probably won't be.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
chase said:
So a PA says this, but where's the, you know, evidence? Do we just go after this because it makes us seem all grown up?
Yep. I can feel the hair growing on my chest as I type this.

Danj

This whole shebang just confirms my opinion that GameSpot has been going downhill ever since they shut down integrated GameSpot UK in 2002. Interestingly enough, I can't find the smarmy corporate message GameSpot UK users were greeted with when this happened on the Internet Archive; I can only find my rant about it on my old blog.

WrikaWrek

Banned
CTLance said:
I just now finished reading up on this thread, and I started well over an hour ago.
Holy shit. What a desaster.
6jupg9c.jpg

I think I need a hug.

Oh my god.

I have tears in my eyes, i just can't stop crying.

Vagabundo

Eric WK said:
We know he was fired and we have multiple sources saying it was because of the review. Meanwhile, the video review of K&L as well as its ads have been pulled from Gamespot. Connecting the dots, with no comment from Cnet or anyone, makes it pretty clear that it's probably true. And from the looks of it, Jeff will have been forced to sign an agreement to keep quiet about the situation.

So no, there has been no official word that the review is the reason he was let go and there probably won't be.

It is still bogus and circumstantial. Maybe there is a connection with the review, maybe they have been getting a lot of complaints about him, maybe there are personal issues in the office. Who knows.

Too many maybes.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Is it 100% certain that the reason he was fired was because of the review? Perhaps there are other factors at play here? There seems to be a lot of smoke here pointing to the review, but no one knows for sure why he was fired. Has anyone from Penny Arcade explained their comic and confirmed the firing was because of the review?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom