• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.
farnham said:
Im happy... all i can think about Jeff gerstmann is... some of the worst moments of gaming journalism really..
sigh.

as for the video producer leaving, maybe it's ancillary? as in he's the one that produced the video in question and he's just collateral damage.

jonabbey

DenogginizerOS said:
It could be that Jeff G was the most recognized of the Gamespot editors and that despite the love/hate relationship he had with gamers, he had that relationship with enough gamers to warrant the decision. Media companies go through this with shock-jocks. Constantly balancing ad revenue with the appeal of a controversial figure that draws people to their radio show, or tv show, or, in this case, website. Gerstmann has always been a polarizing figure (although it normally occurred with games that had a mix of high and low scores). I think he could have been on thin ice but still worthy of keeping around due to his appeal.

Why do Gamespot, etc., do podcasts, anyway? They don't seem to carry advertising on the podcasts, and it seems a bit indirect to think that the podcasts necessarily bring traffic to the site, given that people may tend to get the podcasts through the iTunes podcast directory and etc.

I'm a fan of Jeff G. from the HotSpot podcast (no longer in my iTunes now), but I'm not sure what was ever in it for CNET to have the podcast in the first place. It may be that Jeff G. being popular on the podcast didn't really give him much leverage.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Kabuki Waq said:
he wasnt just kept around i think this was a promotion.

Also he is the FACE of GS you just dont fire those type of people. They would have phased him out or something. Not something out of the blue like this.
But we don't know if this was "out of the blue" or a culmination of events that repeatedly violated company policy or a stance by a journalist who was fed up with what was going on and unloaded the proverbial "cocksucker" insult at the umpire who in this case was his employer and/or revenue provider. Point is, we simply don't know.

Pimpwerx

I don't care for Jeff, but this is the nature of the business. When the e-crash happened, and pubs were starved for money, they seemed to start collaborating with the devs more IMO. I felt it was a concerted effort to keep the gaming media afloat since devs and writers kinda need each other.

However, some of the review scores lately have to set off alarm bells. Too many 10's attached to games that spent more on press junkets and media days than on actual game development. Journos proudly showing off their swag made my stomach turn more than a little. But then we collectively celebrated the mass media handjob that is events like E3 and TGS, where companies not only pile on the gifts, but also tantilize with tits and booze.

Oh well, I don't read reviews anyway. I'll just rely on impressions in the official threads. PEACE.

DenogginizerOS said:
But we don't know if this was "out of the blue" or a culmination of events that repeatedly violated company policy or a stance by a journalist who was fed up with what was going on and unloaded the proverbial "cocksucker" insult at the umpire who in this case was his employer and/or revenue provider. Point is, we simply don't know.

read between the lines other than Jeff Sexually Harassing Ryan Davis i dont think they would have let him go this way.

I don't respect Gerstmann's opinion but fuck Eidos for meddling if he was fired because of the poor K&L review.

It's not his fault your game sucks, Eidos.

jonabbey said:
Why do Gamespot, etc., do podcasts, anyway? They don't seem to carry advertising on the podcasts, and it seems a bit indirect to think that the podcasts necessarily bring traffic to the site, given that people may tend to get the podcasts through the iTunes podcast directory and etc.

Brand-building, really. Take 1up, they really wouldn't have the same pull they have with gamers without their podcasts.

Sylar

Banned
jonabbey said:

I'm a fan of Jeff G. from the HotSpot podcast (no longer in my iTunes now), but I'm not sure what was ever in it for CNET to have the podcast in the first place. It may be that Jeff G. being popular on the podcast didn't really give him much leverage.

The same reason why 1Up and every other website has a podcast; to try and cater there news and ad's differently for people who don't have time to read.

DenogginizerOS

Kabuki Waq said:
read between the lines other than Jeff Sexually Harassing Ryan Davis i dont think they would have let him go this way.
Penny Arcade and Kotaku were the main sources initially on this story, correct?

bryehn

So who's the lead editor/reviewer at GameSpot now?

Aaron Thomas? Kevin VanOrd?

God, I can't believe I'm saying this...but they shoulda kept Jeff.

Tieno

jonabbey said:

Actually the last two Hotspot podcasts carried ads. Something like in-car voice control from MS and some car manufacturer (Ford?)

Almost all of the 1up podcasts carry ads.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Tieno said:
Actually the last two Hotspot podcasts carried ads. Something like in-car voice control from MS and some car manufacturer (Ford?)

You must be talking about Ford Sync.

El-Suave

bryehn said:
So who's the lead editor/reviewer at GameSpot now?

Aaron Thomas? Kevin VanOrd?

God, I can't believe I'm saying this...but they shoulda kept Jeff.

Probably Ryan Davis - I think he's the senior editor now and also has the media skills (i.e. podcasts and web shows) you need these days. Could be Alex Navarro as well.
I think both were friends with Gerstmann before they were hired so it must be really awkward to replace him.

Jonsend

Peter Molyneux's opinion via Eurogamer:

niacin asks: How do you fell about publishing companies influencing gaming critics for better reviews? A% (Moderating Hero explains that this is presumably in reference to allegations that a leading consumer games website sacked one of its reviewers after a publisher complained about the tone of a review.)

Peter Molyneux: Game reviewers (especially Eurogamer reviewers) are the scariest people on the planet. I have literally had nightmares of reviewers attacking me with giant pen-like swords. If a game gets a bad review it can affect sales of a game massivly, and now that so much rides on each title reviewers have a massive responsibility to be honest. Now, saying all that, publishers have to accept that big-budget games can get bad scores. The thing is that it all kind of evens out because each game gets upwards of 100 reviews and you have sites like Metacritic which average out scores. I guess my question is how honest was the 6/10 review and how many other reviews agreed with it.

jonabbey

Tieno said:

Ah, sorry, you're right, they did do that. I listened to the most recent HotSpot just long enough to hear the ad and the complete lack of reference to Jeff G. before I took it off my podcast list.

firehawk12 said:
http://www.forumopolis.com/showpost.php?p=1869780&postcount=52

A response from someone who made the ads:
This is what I came here to say.

I worked on the K&L ads personally, and I had a front-row seat to the whole debacle.

The ads were originally supposed to point to the GS review page, as they sometimes do. When the review came out, Eidos was understandably upset, and yes -- they did threaten to pull the whole campaign -- but they eventually simmered down and kept the campaign. They had us change the clickthrough URL from the GS review to the official site, but other than that little changed.

The ads went up and the Eidos brouhaha was settled over two weeks ago. Jeff got fired yesterday. Furthermore, I'd heard a few people tell that he'd already been skating on thin ice for "unprofessional reviews and review practices." I don't know much about that, though, so I can't say one way or the other.

My gut tells me that he got canned for larger reasons. Maybe the Eidos debacle was part of it -- I don't know. But I sincerely doubt that Eidos made Gamespot fire him. CNET doesn't kowtow to its advertisers, and I've more than once seen the higher-ups turn away big advertising dollars for the sake of the company's integrity.

I think the whole thing is likely a combination of factors, the biggest being poor timing. Gerst gets canned just two weeks after the K&L incident, so people blame it on that (especially when backed by PA, the gaming journalism equivalent to The Daily Show).

It'll be interesting to see how everything pans out, but I'm definitely gonna keep an open mind about it for now.

All I see when I read the bolded sentence is that he was skating on thin ice because he didn't follow company "suggestions" about certain reviews in other occassions too.

Tieno

jonabbey said:
Ah, sorry, you're right, they did do that. I listened to the most recent HotSpot just long enough to hear the ad and the complete lack of reference to Jeff G. before I took it off my podcast list.
Yeah, listened to that podcast yesterday and found it weird why 1)There was no Jeff and 2)They didn't even acknowledge it (usually they explain when a regular is not on, like he's on a vacation or something)

DenogginizerOS

Kabuki Waq said:
people from GS and other freelancers have posted on various forums.
But which news site, if any, has actually contributed to the story and taken it beyond rumor? None. Until that happens, I am staying far away from the mob calling for Eidos', Cnet's, or Gamespot's head.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
DenogginizerOS said:
But which news site, if any, has actually contributed to the story and taken it beyond rumor? None. Until that happens, I am staying far away from the mob calling for Eidos', Cnet's, or Gamespot's head.

^

This is what we should be doing.

meppi

Just to get it out of the way, I think Gerstmann is somewhat of a douche.

That being said, if he actually did got fired for not playing along and hyping a crappy game when the guys upstairs tell him to do so, then I'm sorry for him.
That's something that simply should not happen.

If however he was laid off for numerous lazy, off base reviews, then I think it's justified.

Jeff-DSA

I've never been a fan of Gerstmann, but if he was actually fired over this review, I'm done with Eidos and I'm never trusting a single word that comes out of Gamespot ever again. The implications here are much more serious than many people think. How many other reviews have been essentially bought by publishers?

I've been asked to bump a review up in order to secure exclusivity on it. They basically said that if my review was 8.0 or up that we'd be given the exclusive. I declined. I know publishers try it, but I have never seen an instance when the site itself pressures the journalist.

Kintaro

I hope 1up finds this mess newsworthy soon. Since they are seen by many as gaming journalisms last, best hope

o.o

Talking about the same 1up.com that made the masturbatory video over their $800 Halo 3 *wink wink nudge nudge* swag?

itsgreen

well it should be office time soon in san fransisco so I guess we will see in a few hours... Too bad the 1upyours is prob. allready recorded...

Sylar said:
The same reason why 1Up and every other website has a podcast; to try and cater there news and ad's differently for people who don't have time to read.

I myself am not a huge podcast fan, but I seriously doubt people watch them to save time. English isn't even my native tongue, yet I'm fairly sure I can read it quicker than someone else pronounces it :lol

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wow this is quite a messy situation and if mainstream media get a sniff of this then the whole gaming journalism sector will be under fire. So imo they have to deal with this one way or the other. 1up, IGN, (banned sites), other gaming sites, EGM, GI, other print mags they all should do something to defend their integrity. And judging from some of the post of the journalist here, they aren't even surprised that this has happened and that's a pretty fucked up situation. And about GAF's reaction, imo the right one, but I hope when a reviewer underscores a game you like you will remember this day and act accordingly.
if not, then you are a hypocrite

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
itsgreen said:
well it should be office time soon in san fransisco so I guess we will see in a few hours... Too bad the 1upyours is prob. allready recorded...

I believe that the 1up Yours guys were in the studio recording already at the time this blew up, so don't look for it to be on the show...

Variable

JeffGreen said:
I believe that the 1up Yours guys were in the studio recording already at the time this blew up, so don't look for it to be on the show...

Look at it this way, you guys will be able to talk about it on your podcast before they do. Although, I guess EGM will have the breaking news when they record their's.

JeffGreen

HK-47 said:
Awww man =(

Yeah, well imagine how THEY felt. They're in the studio, drinking whatever the hell they drink, talking about some dumbass console games, while, meanwhile, THE STORY OF THE YEAR is happening right outside the studio walls!

Edit: Yay! Someone changed my tag to say 97.5 The Brodeo! I am honored!
/end solipsistic thread derail

JeffGreen said:

Thanks Jeff, without going into any great detail what is your initial impression if what has been suggested is true?

If you can't comment on it I understand.

DenogginizerOS

JeffGreen said:
Yeah, well imagine how THEY felt. They're in the studio, drinking whatever the hell they drink, talking about some dumbass console games, while, meanwhile, THE RUMOR OF THE YEAR is happening right outside the studio walls!

Fixed for accuracy unless you know something that no one else is reporting. :D

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
JeffGreen said:
Yeah, well imagine how THEY felt. They're in the studio, drinking whatever the hell they drink, talking about some dumbass console games, while, meanwhile, THE STORY OF THE YEAR is happening right outside the studio walls!

Couldn't like somebody tell them what was happening?

DenogginizerOS said:
Anyone else find it ironic that GAF is in full boycott mode over a rumor/story broken by Penny Arcade and Kotaku?

To be fair a story like this, which could have very deep implications rises above petty squabbling and e-penis comparison.

JeffGreen

Opus Angelorum said:
Thanks Jeff, without going into any great detail what is your initial impression if what has been suggested is true?

If you can't comment on it I understand.

Yeah, all we know at this point is what all of you know, and therefore it is not really our place at this point to comment. So chances are had the 1UPY guys been informed, they would have left it alone anyway.

I do assure you that we are doing what all the news outlets are doing--trying to get the facts. And thanks to Denogginizer for fixing my comment--that is more accurate, yes. :)

Kintaro

JeffGreen said:

Edit: Yay! Someone changed my tag to say 97.5 The Brodeo! I am honored!
/end solipsistic thread derail

:lol :lol :lol

Dude, I'm sorry, but I HEARD you say this in my mind and I couldn't stop laughing. <3 you Jeff Green.

DenogginizerOS

Opus Angelorum said:
To be fair a story like this, which could have very deep implications rises above petty squabbling and e-penis comparison.
Yes, but Kotaku? Since when did they become the Edward R. Murrow of gaming news on this board?

Sylar

Banned
Richardfun said:
I myself am not a huge podcast fan, but I seriously doubt people watch them to save time. English isn't even my native tongue, yet I'm fairly sure I can read it quicker than someone else pronounces it :lol

I meant like in the car on the road. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom