• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric WK

DenogginizerOS said:
Is it 100% certain that the reason he was fired was because of the review? Perhaps there are other factors at play here? There seems to be a lot of smoke here pointing to the review, but no one knows for sure why he was fired. Has anyone from Penny Arcade explained their comic and confirmed the firing was because of the review?

Gabe posted on the PA forums saying that it was true, and the general tone of the response (and lackthereof) of other Gamespot editors is telling. Officially, there's no way to know for sure right now.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Hitokage said:
What made 6.8 classic is that Gamespot changed the score shortly after posting it so it would be higher.

And Greg K made it their position to never change review scores ever after that disaster.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Eric WK said:
Gabe posted on the PA forums saying that it was true, and the general tone of the response (and lackthereof) of other Gamespot editors is telling. Officially, there's no way to know for sure right now.
Thanks.

Perhaps it wasn't the review but maybe Eidos and Cnet inquired about the review and Gerstmann's response to them is what got him fired?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
http://www.forumopolis.com/showpost.php?p=1869780&postcount=52

A response from someone who made the ads:
This is what I came here to say.

I worked on the K&L ads personally, and I had a front-row seat to the whole debacle.

The ads were originally supposed to point to the GS review page, as they sometimes do. When the review came out, Eidos was understandably upset, and yes -- they did threaten to pull the whole campaign -- but they eventually simmered down and kept the campaign. They had us change the clickthrough URL from the GS review to the official site, but other than that little changed.

The ads went up and the Eidos brouhaha was settled over two weeks ago. Jeff got fired yesterday. Furthermore, I'd heard a few people tell that he'd already been skating on thin ice for "unprofessional reviews and review practices." I don't know much about that, though, so I can't say one way or the other.

My gut tells me that he got canned for larger reasons. Maybe the Eidos debacle was part of it -- I don't know. But I sincerely doubt that Eidos made Gamespot fire him. CNET doesn't kowtow to its advertisers, and I've more than once seen the higher-ups turn away big advertising dollars for the sake of the company's integrity.

I think the whole thing is likely a combination of factors, the biggest being poor timing. Gerst gets canned just two weeks after the K&L incident, so people blame it on that (especially when backed by PA, the gaming journalism equivalent to The Daily Show).

It'll be interesting to see how everything pans out, but I'm definitely gonna keep an open mind about it for now.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Either way, Gabe said they have the whole story from those in the know, so it will be interesting to see Tycho's post this morning.

Zenith

Banned
I love **** and *****. It was like ****** setpieces that you could go nuts in, and now everyone's going to shit on the game just because of tis association with this debacle. I never had any problems with the controls, cover system or aiming.

rhino4evr

I think the whole thing is very unfair, but not all that surprising. GS has become a large commercial entity, but their reviewers have always been the most cynical of the bunch. They need to hire more game informer reviewers. Those guys love the money.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, what a terrible thing to read first thing this morning. FUCK CNET for this and if EIDOS was involved, fuck them too.

I was considering buying K&L at some point, but I will no longer do so.

I will also look into cancelling any subscription I had to Gamespot.

GAF is pretty large. Perhaps it can influence other sites as well...

WrikaWrek

Banned
Zenith said:
I love **** and *****. It was like ****** setpieces that you could go nuts in, and now everyone's going to shit on the game just because of tis association with this debacle. I never had any problems with the controls, cover system or aiming.

Are you talking about **** and *****? because if you are talking about **** and *****, you have poor taste let me tell you, the game is garbage.

You can let your collateral and Heat nostalgia drive your experience, but that doesn't stop the game from having broken cover mechanincs, crappy story, shitty A.I, shitty squad gameplay, shitty endings, shitty graphics, the most laughable shitty car chase this side of Blacksite Area 51.

It's just crappy man.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Opus Angelorum said:
It's #1 of all topics on Digg at the minute, it's spreading.
Nice. That's good news.

This just shows how f*cked up the industry is.

I know fans of certain titles were always upset by his reviews and attitude, but damn it, I thought it added a lot to the site. He could be damn funny.

Gamespot has gone to hell over the last year. No Greg, no Rich, no Jeff, and it sounds like Ryan Davis will be leaving soon enough. Who the fuck is left? The site is done.

Hopefully Jeff turns up somewhere else doing something similar.

DangerStepp

That is pretty weak if he was indeed terminated over doing his job, which is giving objective, opinionated reviews of games.
Hopefully this isn't a trend that will follow suit with other editors of the enthusiast press.

If so, then we're truly experiencing repercussions of the corporate hammer and the power of the dollar.

What a way to find out, BTW. In a Penny Arcade comic of all things....

DenogginizerOS

Gerstmann's job is to be a critic. For years, depending on who you ask, he has done a pretty good job writing reviews. However, what we all don't know is what was happening behind the scenes. If Eidos and Cnet fired Gerstmann for doing his job as a reviewer, then JG might have a case for litigation. However, if his actions after the review came out were inappropriate, then he likely was fired for good reason. We don't know yet and I think it would be wise to not take a side in this until all the facts come out. If Eidos and Cnet's product name is hurt by this incident and it turns out that the review score was NOT the reason he was fired, then Eidos and Cnet may have grounds for a suit against PA for defamation. I am sure that the folks at PA are aware of this and makes me lean more towards believing the review was the reason, but again, until there is clarification, the villification of Eidos and Cnet may be premature. Lets not forget that there are many employees that work for Cnet and Eidos that could be negatively impacted by this. Their jobs are just as important as JG's job.

smurfx

get some go again
honestly the only real reviews you can trust are the reviews of your fellow gamers on forums. but even then it's tricky with all the viral marketers out there. :\ bottom line, rent games before you buy and confirm if you like the game yourself. i definitely see all these big review sites giving games good reviews if they get big advertisement dollars from publishers. most of these sites are owned by big corporations like news corp and getting money is all that matters in the end and ethics be dammed as long as the stock holders see some nice profits from these sites.

loosus

Banned
First I had heard of this.

But I read a few posts here, and it seems that it still isn't clear what exactly happened, is it...? Isn't it still possible that he was fired for other reasons?

praxis69

Banned
Hitokage said:
Bias is fine as long as they're upfront about it.
Even if acknowledged upfront, bias has no place in a recview targeted to a diverse pool of discriminating consumers. Anyway, if this true, ganespot has squandered all of its credibility. Sure, they can remain as a site that COVERS the industry, but their reviews should never again be looked upon as credible. In fact, and I know this is a decision that the administration is probably deliberating over, Gamespot reviews should be BANNED IMMEDIATELY.

nestea

loosus said:
First I had heard of this.

But I read a few posts here, and it seems that it still isn't clear what exactly happened, is it...? Isn't it still possible that he was fired for other reasons?

If he was fired for other reasons I'm sure he or one of his coworkers would come out and say what happened in the wake of all of this.

gamingeek

FunkyMunkey said:
So you're saying it's okay for someone to mess up at his or her job time and time again, but all that matters is what particular thing they're fired for? You're missing his point.

(I've already showed how wrong I feel it is about what happened, just trying to get you to see his opinion.)

I'd have to agree with both of you. I mean the rumoured reason for his firing is total shit if true but lets not turn Gerts into some sort of martr, he's probably one of the worst gaming journos I've ever seen, and no, not just because of the 8.8 review. I'm sorry when anyone loses their job, but some of his writing beggars belief that he's even in the business. Longevity doesn't make one respectable.

I've been saying for over a year how the site has been going down the toilet and been criticised,ignored or silenced for that opinion on gamespot itself. It's funny to see everyone now turning around (on the gamespot forums themselves) saying things like **** game**** or Game**** can go to hel etc etc.

Grecco

Hes worked for 11 years many have had problems with scores but admitedly stuff like him being unprofesional comes out now. Sounds to me like more scapegoating than anything.

Plus the KL ads would still be there on the website.

loosus

Banned
nestea said:
If he was fired for other reasons I'm sure he or one of his coworkers would come out and say what happened in the wake of all of this.
I doubt it. Whenever a person is fired from any place, coworkers shouldn't talk about the reasons. In fact, where I work, if I talk about why someone was fired -- even if the person who was fired pissed off my bosses and was a total tool -- and my bosses find out about it, I'll be fired myself. I'm not even supposed to say that they were fired. I have to say that they "are not working here, anymore."

Mashing

I've bagged on Jeff on this forum before (even far enough to get banned for it), but getting fired over a review is just bush league. All that does is throw in credibility gamespot may have into question and (to me) PROVES once and for all that moneyhats DO influence game scores.

nestea

loosus said:
I doubt it. Whenever a person is fired from any place, coworkers shouldn't talk about the reasons. In fact, where I work, if I talk about why someone was fired -- even if the person who was fired pissed off my bosses and was a total tool -- and my bosses find out about it, I'll be fired myself. I'm not even supposed to say that they were fired. I have to say that they "are not working here, anymore."

One of his coworkers posted a blog about it but quickly removed it. (then replaced it with this)

Another ex coworker also posted about how terrible this all is.

El-Suave

I hope 1up finds this mess newsworthy soon. Since they are seen by many as gaming journalisms last, best hope I would wish they'd investigate or at least report as well.

Although I was ambivalent about Jeff when I first started watching the Gamespot podcasts, I grew to like and trust his opinions over time. I just watched his review of **** and ***** and - although i haven't played it yet - he seemed to backup his viewpoints with enough examples to be credible.

It seemed obvious that Jeff was making some sort of statement with the review, perhaps intentionally using a tone that undermined the already low score he assigned the game. Perhaps he was warned not to do so beforehand, and was subsequently fired for carrying through with his 'agenda'.

If that is true, then it creates a level of complexity in the situation (Are employees always supposed to follow what their bosses say? Does Jeff qualify as a journalist?) but in the end, if his job is to give his opinion on a specific game, then he shouldn't be fired for doing so. If his job is to represent the company line, that maybe (!) the company had a right to fire him for going against their directives, but I doubt this is the case.

As I said, I like Jeff and will continue to follow him wherever he goes. In hindsight, this situation is perhaps the best thing that has ever happened to his career.

Tom Servo

Dreadful, really. There seems to be two conflicting sides to this story at the moment however, so we shouldn't completely pass judgement just because Penny Arcade says so. If PA are correct, then hopefully this'll open people's eyes to the lack of integrity in videogame reviews. This could be a turning point for the future of reviews, IMO. Either the community kicks up a total shitstorm (which seems to be happening) and integrity returns to reviewing, or the money men control sites.

That said, I had to chuckle at GameSpot's frontpage at the moment. In the top right corner... "On TechRepublic: 10 illegal job interview questions".

Vagabundo

DenogginizerOS said:
Gerstmann's job is to be a critic. For years, depending on who you ask, he has done a pretty good job writing reviews. However, what we all don't know is what was happening behind the scenes. If Eidos and Cnet fired Gerstmann for doing his job as a reviewer, then JG might have a case for litigation. However, if his actions after the review came out were inappropriate, then he likely was fired for good reason. We don't know yet and I think it would be wise to not take a side in this until all the facts come out. If Eidos and Cnet's product name is hurt by this incident and it turns out that the review score was NOT the reason he was fired, then Eidos and Cnet may have grounds for a suit against PA for defamation. I am sure that the folks at PA are aware of this and makes me lean more towards believing the review was the reason, but again, until there is clarification, the villification of Eidos and Cnet may be premature. Lets not forget that there are many employees that work for Cnet and Eidos that could be negatively impacted by this. Their jobs are just as important as JG's job.

Well said, GAF needs to take some meds and quit jumping the gun. We know very little about what has been going on.

DenogginizerOS

What percentage of developers and publishers engage in pre-review deals with websites and magazines? Don't most if not all of them use ad revenue as a negotiating tool for exclusivity status? Is this hurting the integrity of the journalists who engage in this behavior as much as the company that is offering the money? Perhaps Gerstmann looked at himself in the mirror and just got fed up with what he saw. If Gerstmann used K&L as his foothold for a protest against the practice of ad revenue for good reviews, then yes, he will be judged positively by gamers who know him for taking a stance. But lets not assume that Eidos is the only company that does this and that Gerstmann is the only reviewer who is disgusted by it. The whole industry needs an enema to cleanse itself of this practice. If Eidos and Gamespot are hurt by this, I am pretty sure the whole practice of payola and financed favoritism will go the way of the Dodo. Unfortunately, I am inclined to not bet on it.

I enjoyed Jeff's reviews, this is a shame. I think he had some anti-Nintendo issues, but I like someone that doesn't hand out 9's at the drop of a hat.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
From the Euro side of things Gi.Biz has their article about this sordid affair up and running, and they confirm somebody else is gone from Gamespot, though it is not clear at this time if it is related.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=31120

GameSpot editor leaves amid review rumours
Illustration
Phil Elliott 12:53 (BST) 30/11/2007

Jeff Gerstmann departs after **** & ***** review is apparently edited

GamesIndustry.biz has learned that GameSpot's US reviews editor has left CNET Networks following an incident involving the site's recent **** & ***** review.

A source close to the editorial team has revealed that the row focused on the tone of the content of the original review, which was apparently subsequently altered.

The game scored 6 out of 10, and although it's unclear how the text of the review may have changed from its original format, it's not thought that the score was altered.

GameSpot reviews are regularly submitted to the wider editorial team for quality and accuracy reasons, and small changes can be made at this point before the article is published.

Rumours elsewhere cited possible reasons for the editorial changes as being the result of pressure from the **** & ***** publisher Eidos, which had marketed the game on the site.

The source revealed that members of the editorial team were extremely disappointed by the incident.

Gerstmann had been with GameSpot for 11 years, and was part of the team - which included Greg Kasavin, now at EA - who drove the site's core values of editorial excellence and independence over that time.

As well as heading up the reviews team, he also hosted weekly video show On The Spot, and wrote the music to several of the site's audio or video publications, including the GameSpot UK podcast.

CNET representatives have so far declined to comment on Gerstmann's departure, and the precise circumstances - whether or not he left of his own accord - have not been disclosed.

Tim Tracy, former head of video at the company, has also departed, although it's not clear at this time whether or not the two are linked.

LutherT17

I'm now feeling very bad for the developers, whose game just became an object of hate for the Western world. I'm glad I wsnt working on that project.

Madman

DenogginizerOS said:
What percentage of developers and publishers engage in pre-review deals with websites and magazines? Don't most if not all of them use ad revenue as a negotiating tool for exclusivity status? Is this hurting the integrity of the journalists who engage in this behavior as much as the company that is offering the money? Perhaps Gerstmann looked at himself in the mirror and just got fed up with what he saw. If Gerstmann used K&L as his foothold for a protest against the practice of ad revenue for good reviews, then yes, he will be judged positively by gamers who know him for taking a stance. But lets not assume that Eidos is the only company that does this and that Gerstmann is the only reviewer who is disgusted by it. The whole industry needs an enema to cleanse itself of this practice. If Eidos and Gamespot are hurt by this, I am pretty sure the whole practice of payola and financed favoritism will go the way of the Dodo. Unfortunately, I am inclined to not bet on it.
Yes. Hence why people complained about the 800 dollar Halo packages(Which BTW, some peopl;e claimed to be fine with that. I guess someone has to neglect the moneyhat and get fired before everyone gets on board about this practice). It's a not so subtle nudge saying "give my game a good score." Same thing with sponsored launch centers. In realy journalism, this is not allowed by newspapaers and magazines(if gifts are allowed, they are usually very small), neglecting the ethical issues. The reason is obvious. It's a bad practice that should be stopped. There should definitely be limits on the way that these things are carried out. Otherwise, you will get slanted scopres (like what supposedly Jeff was supposed to do).

I guess this really shows what some have been claiming all along. The game review system is completely broken, and apparently bribes determine scores.

To all game journalists that have participated in this practice: FUCK YOU. You are doing a dandy job making sure no one ever takes games as an art form and sees them as a lesser form of entertainment.

DenogginizerOS

Kabuki Waq said:
why would Jeff take Greg K's place if he was on "thin Ice" for a while.
It could be that Jeff G was the most recognized of the Gamespot editors and that despite the love/hate relationship he had with gamers, he had that relationship with enough gamers to warrant the decision. Media companies go through this with shock-jocks. Constantly balancing ad revenue with the appeal of a controversial figure that draws people to their radio show, or tv show, or, in this case, website. Gerstmann has always been a polarizing figure (although it normally occurred with games that had a mix of high and low scores). I think he could have been on thin ice but still worthy of keeping around due to his appeal.

El-Suave

Madman said:
Yes. Hence why people complained about the 800 dollar Halo packages(Which BTW, some peopl;e claimed to be fine with that. I guess someone has to neglect the moneyhat and get fired before everyone gets on board about this practice). It's a not so subtle nudge saying "give my game a good score." Same thing with sponsored launch centers. In realy journalism, this is not allowed by newspapaers and magazines(if gifts are allowed, they are usually very small), neglecting the ethical issues. The reason is obvious. It's a bad practice that should be stopped. There should definitely be limits on the way that these things are carried out. Otherwise, you will get slanted scopres (like what supposedly Jeff was supposed to do).

I guess this really shows what some have been claiming all along. The game review system is completely broken, and apparently bribes determine scores.

To all game journalists that have participated in this practice: FUCK YOU. You are doing a dandy job making sure no one ever takes games as an art form and sees them as a lesser form of entertainment.

Actually Gamespot is one of the better sites as far as that's concerned. The guy who get's the VIP PR treatment usually isn't the one who reviews the game.
That's basically superior to how some other sites handle it i.e. 1up. When editors love to drop names of developers they schmooze with regularly or the events they have participated in, even though it's kind of fun to hear, I find it hard to imagine that not influencing your review of a game.

DenogginizerOS said:
It could be that Jeff G was the most recognized of the Gamespot editors and that despite the love/hate relationship he had with gamers, he had that relationship with enough gamers to warrant the decision. Media companies go through this with shock-jocks. Constantly balancing ad revenue with the appeal of a controversial figure that draws people to their radio show, or tv show, or, in this case, website. Gerstmann has always been a polarizing figure (although it normally occurred with games that had a mix of high and low scores). I think he could have been on thin ice but still worthy of keeping around due to his appeal.

he wasnt just kept around i think this was a promotion.

Also he is the FACE of GS you just dont fire those type of people. They would have phased him out or something. Not something out of the blue like this.

Grecco said:
Plus the KL ads would still be there on the website.

That's specious. For all you know the ad buy could have just run its course. The game's been out for a while, generally advertising dries up at this point unless it's a success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom