• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
OTv62.png

Cognitive dissonance.

For one, the PR guy was a real douche and should have just let it go.

On the other, the guy was a whiny tard who couldn't grasp the concept of "shit gets fucking delayed dude. Calm down".

Wow. Not just creating fake accounts to big up his own products but also to trash his competitors? Stay classy!

It's all part of his "Social Media Reputation Management" package.

Yes this is an actual service offered on their website.

A prospective client Google’s your company’s name. What does he find? He finds negative publicity about you. Will he associate with you? Chances are that he would skip your name in the searches and hire your competitor.

Every day, Google receives over two billion search requests and this evidently proves that people want to learn and investigate on the net. Irrespective of their field of business, most of the companies or individuals search the whereabouts of any company on the net before starting a new business venture with them. The ones who search also look for the testimonials provided by the clients/customers of a company. For buying products, people check out the product reviews. Bad product reviews translate into lesser sales.

We help you to displace or remove the negative search engine results and listings about your organization or company. We use an effective lineup of techniques to dilute and eliminate the search engine results about you that are negative.

That just seems weird to me. I didn't think it was usually done that way. Is there any chance that N-Control is just a child company of Ocean Marketing?

One reason I say that is because if you look at the amazon reviews and look at the dates, people have been complaining about piss poor customer service for months now. I would imagine any company seeing that, would get rid of the company doing their customer service. You know unless it is your own company doing it, then you need to fix that shit.
Oh no I agree its super weird, maybe someone can look into the connection between the two. Also yeah there have been customer service complaints but it never blew up until now, I guess we'll see what happens. When your PR becomes the story, it's time to fire them.

Sethtimus Prime

Neo Member
I'm amazed by this. There have been times in which I would want to tell customers off on the phone and give them hell too, but someone who actually has done it is utterly shocking. I understand that people will complain about everything to customer service, but there are some things you just don't do. You don't lie to them like that and belittle them. The customer choose to spend money with your business for a reason and they have expectations for their product....if there is a delay or problem, explain it respectfully (pretty simple enough). After this fiasco, I don't foresee anyone purchasing products with N-Control because of Ocean Marketting.

The problem is: those customers affected have a legit complaint! Yet this guy acts like 'an internet tough guy' and doesn't realize how this makes him (or his company) be perceived.

If you're gonna go off on a customer at least don't put that shit in writing for the world to see...

I looked it up, they are completely separate companies. It actually sucks for the N-Control guys, they sound like they deserve a lot better than this event:

DavidKotkin said:
Well, as far as the price, I understand it seems high, but honestly I feel that’s the lowest we could get it to recoup the time, money, and engineering I put into it and still make it profitable. I could have made a cheap $20.00 one, but it would have felt like, and performed like a $20.00 adapter, I don’t want that. I spent years developing this, I don’t want all that work to equate to a piece of junk. I want you to enjoy this product to its fullest, and to do that I had to raise cost to make sure the quality was there. One thing I cannot stress enough s my 100% return guarantee. I know people say satisfaction guarantee or your money back, but to return it its a big ordeal. With us it’s not like that, I want a happy customer.

As far as the 5 to 6 week delivery time that is a testament to how serious quality is to me. I did an initial run of 300 units, we sold those almost instantly. When the next 1000 units came in from the plant, I sent them back because they were junk. I didn’t like how they felt at all, so I sent them back and now we’re behind on our shipping times. Once the production facility gets on track that time should come down.

There is no argument to be made in favor of the Ocean Marketing guy. That "Dec 26, 2011 10:14 AM" email is a complete misstep on his part.

But the response email "Dave" wrote isn't completely defensible either. He make many valid points and breaks down how unhelpful and unprofessional the answer's to his order status requests were. But his PS's are not the way to end an email. He sounds like he is stooping down to the Ocean guy's level.

p.s. You look really douchy be having one youtube video complaining about the noise of traffic next to your home and then another video showing off your obnoxiously loud rice rocket (which is nice, I gotta hand it ya).

p.p.s. Welcome to the internet, bitch. That’s how I roll.

I cringed at that last one...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I heard the words that he got fired at his company. I was surprised because I thought he is the one man company because he handled PR and Customer Service at once, along with him shown up those shows by himself.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
There is no argument to be made in favor of the Ocean Marketing guy. That "Dec 26, 2011 10:14 AM" email is a complete misstep on his part.

But the response email "Dave" wrote isn't completely defensible either. He make many valid points and breaks down how unhelpful and unprofessional the answer's to his order status requests were. But his PS's are not the way to end an email. He sounds like he is stooping down to the Ocean guy's level.

Dave doesn't need to be professional. He's a customer. This isn't his job. Yeah, he got snarky at the end because he wasn't getting the answers that he was due. Anyone who's involved in customer service has seen much much worse.

I heard the words that he got fired at his company. I was surprised because I thought he is the one man company because he handled PR and Customer Service at once, along with him shown up those shows by himself.

It's an angency contracting for the company that makes the controller. Same as the one-man PR operation that was fired by the publishers of Duke Nukem after he threatened journalists on twitter.

Ifrit

But he's friend with the mayor dude, he can be wherever he wants!!!!

scy

Yeah, Dave wasn't exactly the best sport in all this either. But, in the grand scheme of things, customers rarely are. Not saying that justifies anything but Customer Support is there to deal with that kind of flak, not get into the trenches and duke it out for supreme Internet badass.

Jesus Christ. I was reading about this at 3AM when it was just a PA post of some ridiculously stupid email. 8 hours (or less) later: internet justice...

Edit: And now there are accusations of plagiarism? This is ridiculous.

Bizazedo

He'll be fine, he apparently goes by TheAngryPimp03 on Myspace and on some steroid site.

So Reddit / SA say.

Pimp's gotta get paid.

h3ro

Gary, I hope you bring this up on the next episode of the Tested podcast. I'd love to hear Will, Norm and your experiences dealing with PR superstars like this guy. Not sure this counts as tech news (sorta?) but definitely in Fake Outtakes!

Gary, I hope you bring this up on the next episode of the Tested podcast. I'd love to hear Will, Norm and your experiences dealing with PR superstars like this guy.

We are recording this week, might have to do that!

Oh, and he's on MySpace? I take it all back, for a while there it seemed like this guy wasn't on the cutting edge of social media.

scy

It's an angency contracting for the company that makes the controller. Same as the one-man PR operation that was fired by the publishers of Duke Nukem after he threatened journalists on twitter.

After this is all done with the (hopefully) happy ending, I hope Paul here and Jim can get together for a drink and share pointers on the finer aspects of marketing douchebaggery.

eznark

Banned
He'll be fine, he apparently goes by TheAngryPimp03 on Myspace and on some steroid site.

So Reddit / SA say.

Pimp's gotta get paid.

It all makes sense:
Whats up everyone here is my story and deal :

Height: 5"10
Weight: 200lbs
BodyFat: 17%

My diet needs work but im trying lol, its hard with my fiance and her daughter!

Currently I am taking Depo Testosterone 200mg /10ml Vial I have been on it since November and will be finishing up in 9 weeks. I have been taking 200mg a week once in a while ill up it to 400 intramuscular split up in 2 shots maybe friday and weds. I have gained weight and allot of muscle mass and have made significant weight and strength gains in the gym and I want to get bigger but am trying to stay natural [eznark note: LOfuckingL]. Depo is the fisrt anabolic I have ever used in my life. Over the weekend I went to the health food store and purchased some additional supplements ( NO Shotgun, BC AA, CellMass, and of Course Eggwhite protein and a multi-vitamin) I want to get bigger and I also want to lose some of the 17% body fat that im carrying around in my stomach lol. Im trying to stay away from the winny and clenbuterol and like I said keep it natural. I am also concerned about bitch tits when im coming off the Test . Do I need to be concerned about that? Can I take a natural test booster and anti estrogen pill and will it make a difference, or is it something i should lose sleep over? Also how long before my natural testerone will start being produced and what effects will i experience. I really appreciate any help and advice you can give me there is a limited number of people I can talk to so im confiding in you guys and hoping you will steer me in the right direction and give me the information im looking for. I think thats all I have to say or ask for the time being so i appreciate your help and time and looking froward to reading your replies. Also im in the gym training hard core 4 days a week and to be honest the gym is at my condo complex and ghetto with only dumbbells and cardio machines but its the best i ca do on my budget. Anyway enough rambling help me out please and thanks.

zethren

Banned
Spacehost

@oceanMarketting Hey, Twitter seems to have lost your tweet telling the exec ed of IGN he's a douchebag. Hope someone has a backup.

lol

I have a hard time picturing what Paul might be doing right now: He's either scrambling to piece together any semblance of dignity he might have left, or he's still so convinced of his awesome that he simply doesn't give a fuck.

spirity

Dave doesn't need to be professional. He's a customer. This isn't his job. Yeah, he got snarky at the end because he wasn't getting the answers that he was due. Anyone who's involved in customer service has seen much much worse.

I had a customer tell me once he was going to contact "a moon god from Ganymede to destroy me". All I did was ask him to confirm a postal code. Fucking whacko. Customers can be awkward and stupid as hell, but dealing with it is simply part of your remit sometimes. You either develop a thick skin and laugh stuff off or find a different job.

This asshole deserves everything thats coming to him. Just wish it happened a week before Christmas.

sajj316

This is a great case study on the definition of bad customer service. The internets are going to destroy him. Fitting that he run's an internet PR firm.

Buzzati

Banned
lol

I have a hard time picturing what Paul might be doing right now: He's either scrambling to piece together any semblance of dignity he might have left, or he's still so convinced of his awesome that he simply doesn't give a fuck.

He's probably spelling something wrong.

h3ro

That controller looks stupid and worthless. It's the Human Centipede of game controllers.

I hope people are able to differentiate the product from the "PR Firm" that was hired to promote it.

The control itself, while being aimed at the Call of Duty/twitch gameplay crowd, actually looks like a terrific application for disabled gamers who lack the range of motion or strength to depress the buttons on their own.

I hope the controller company separates themselves from this guy soon and lets his firm have it for this horrendous job.

eznark

Banned
I hope people are able to differentiate the product from the "PR Firm" that was hired to promote it.

The control itself, while being aimed at the Call of Duty/twitch gameplay crowd, actually looks like a terrific application for disabled gamers who lack the range of motion or strength to depress the buttons on their own.

I hope the controller company separates themselves from this guy soon and lets his firm have it for this horrendous job.

Look back at product reviews from this year. It's a shitty product by most accounts and the company has been awful at fulfilling orders and keeping promises. The teacher just licensed (hopefully they didn't sell it outright) their design to the wrong manufacturer.

So he has started deleting tweets? The back pedaling begins, for all the good it'll do.

"The Internet isn't written in pencil, Mark, it's written in ink."

Top Bottom