• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

salromano

This guy's use of English irks the shit out of me. I find it hilarious that their website claims they're educated in the language:

Ocean Marketing said:
We ensure excellent caliber of work that is written in proper English and is consistent stylistically. We complete our projects on a timely and regular basis.

'Yeah son I'll school you real hard son look at this is another sentence right here I don't even have to signify you a baby Im awesome yeah go cry to you momma your a bitch.'

Anyway. Mr. Ocean Marketing guy is a fucktard.

A shame considering the product itself shouldn't be taking the brunt of this outlash.

They chose to associate themselves with an extremely unprofessional individual offering an abysmal costumer service (not to speak of the pr!).

Hopefully this will make them reconsider it.

They chose to associate themselves with an extremely unprofessional individual offering an abysmal costumer service. Hopefully this will make them reconsider it.

It's still not fair to a company usually. A rep like this goes nuts and ruins everything that can really hurt the company and other peoples jobs, when really there is little they could do to stop it. They will probably want to fire this guy but the damage has been done.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
There is a magazine cover with Assassins Creed on it in that photo. More proof he has industry contacts.

I bet those pieces of paper in his pocket are emails from the Mayor of Boston

59031751.jpg

TheYanger

They've employed him through similar debacles. I smell a rat.

As I recall from when the original Avenger thread popped up, the actual guy that invented it and is selling it is an older guy who is really passionate about gaming, wasn't he like an ex-champion from some 80s arcade game or something whose reflexes were going bad?

Not saying the marketing group shouldn't suffer, but it's a shame to think that people are going to associate the product with this shit now, when in reality the product itself is basically unrelated. Not that I'd ever use one anyway.

Disregard if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I saw the videos with the creator guy talking it up.

kassatsu

Banned
@scottlowe how many avengers did we send you for review that you kept and didn't return calls I have emails from you apologizing to me -- OceanMarketting (@OceanMarketting)

Would love to see these emails.

It's still not fair to a company usually. A rep like this goes nuts and ruins everything that can really hurt the company and other peoples jobs, when really there is little they could do to stop it. They will probably want to fire this guy but the damage has been done.

Normally I would agree with you and feel pretty terrible for the company in question, but one would think a cursory internet search would be in order when establishing the public face of your product.

You really want to work with the guy who misspelled his twitter handle, doesn't know how to handle basic facebook security, has stirred up shit in many corners of the internet, and appears to be blatantly lying about the size and nature of his company? He's gonna be your social media PR guy? Surely they bear some responsibility for that failure of due diligence.

edit: I mean look at this bullshit! From the OT thread, he has been using N-Control's facebook feed to sell JERSEYS

Just to be clear, is this guy actually a member of the company that produces the avenger, or is he strictly employed by ocean marketing? It would be unfair for the people at the avenger to be receiving a backlash on nonsense they probably didn't know was going on.

My oh my, I haven't seen this much corporate stupidity since Enron.

*Note I use the word "corporate" very loosely here.

**Note This guy is a complete shitbag.

Just to be clear, is this guy actually a member of the company that produces the avenger, or is he strictly employed by ocean marketing? It would be unfair for the people at the avenger to be receiving a backlash on nonsense they probably didn't know was going on.
The company that makes the Avenger is N-Control. This asshat works for Ocean Marketing (well I guess he owns it).

I really doubt a guy like this was a beacon of professionality before, there are already other stories emerging. They made a choice employing him, it was a wrong choice and now they'll probably pay for it. They still have a chance to redeem themselves, but i'm not going easy on a company, big or small, if they employ a bully to promote their products.

Lol it amazes me the guy got this far into his career without fucking it up sooner. What a douche bagel.

It's actually not amazing at all - the guy's clearly a one man operation, probably because he was fired from every job working for a real company he ever had....

SarBear

Yeah people should just try to destroy his career, not his private life.

In other news, the avenger is currently being amazon-bombed.

On one hand, it's awful that the product is being completely obliterated from having a chance given it's functionality. Truly saddening.

On the other hand, assuming this guy is just PR, if the company hasn't personally reached out and muted his dumb ass thus far into the debacle, they deserve just as much damage as he's causing at the moment.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This guy just became the most unpopular person in the gaming industry. Are we looking at the next CEO of Activision? Who knows...

mik83kuu

Banned
I can almost smell that in the end the ties between this douche and the makers of the controller are tighter than previously thought.

I paid $400 with two year contract for my iPhone and that thin slab of moulded rubber has saved my iPhone from damage and destruction more times than I care to admit.

Apples to Oranges, friend.
He has a valid point. The purpose of your iphone rubber is to protect it. The purpose of this controller contraption is to make it easier for you to get to the buttons. The controller add on is far more complex than the iphone cover, which makes sense for it to cost more. As long as they both do what they are intended to do, they are comparable.

eshwaaz

I'm constantly surprised by this. Even in my workplace, adults just cannot spell or write. I can't tell if it is disregard for the communication form or the person receiving it, but I can't stand silly spelling mistakes, easy grammatical errors, and the like.
Same. His horrid spelling and grammar are as enfuriating as his attitude and arrogance.

Mxrz

I'm honestly baffled as to how anyone could somehow miss all the spellcheckers in this day and age. Especially someone who so desperately needs one. What the hell did he type his emails in, IE3?

seems to me he didn't know Mike was actually Mike from Penny arcade until later in the email. I think that explains the complete 180 he goes from

"who are you again" I don't need PAX I'm in 6 countries Making it rain!!!!"

to

"I'll be a CES you going?"

Patryn

I'm just waiting until he signals full retreat.

It's amazing that he works in PR for a gaming peripheral company and he doesn't realize that he just pissed off one of the most powerful people in gaming, and a person with a massive following.

tuffy

I'm honestly baffled as to how anyone could somehow miss all the spellcheckers in this day and age. Especially someone who so desperately needs one. What the hell did he type his emails in, IE3?
Most of the words are spelled correctly; he simply doesn't know how to use them properly. "...we will simply just cancel your order all together", or "...if your unhappy you have" and so on. Most browsers won't be able to tell him those words aren't right in that context.

I'm just waiting until he signals full retreat.

It's amazing that he works in PR for a gaming peripheral company and he doesn't realize that he just pissed off one of the most powerful people in gaming, and a person with a massive following.

gabe's latest tweet refers to the guy threatening "you'll hear from my lawyer" or whatever, so I'm guessing he doesn't back down soon.

3rdman

Wow...This guy is such a douche and I kind of pity him after 4chan gets a turn...and you know they will.

Edit: Just noticed he has an iPhone...coincidence? (puts on flame suit)

Top Bottom