• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade's Gabe (Mike) apologizes for being a bully.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I’m not always a very good person. I’m mean and I recognize that. I know exactly where it comes from too. As a kid I moved schools a lot. I was always the new kid and I was a weird looking new kid which made it worse. There was no nationwide movement to stop bullying back then. The advice I got from teachers was to “ignore them” or “try and make friends with them”. It is hard to ignore or become friends with someone who literally sets your hair on fire on the bus. So what I did is decide at a young age that no one else’s opinion of me mattered. I had to in order not to kill myself. I had to flip a switch in my head and essentially decide that no one else could decide what I was or was not. I shut almost everyone out and decided that anyone who attacked me was an “enemy” and I began to attack back. I got very good at insulting people. Kids would come at me with some bullshit about my teeth or how goofy I looked and I would retaliate with insults I had custom built for them while lying awake at night and each one was a precision strike to their insecurities. This kid was short, that one had a hard time reading, this other one’s parents were getting a divorce. By 7th grade I could make someone hit me with a couple words.

They weren’t fights so much as they were beatings but I still ended up in the vice principal’s office. Eventually they started to realize I was instigating the abuse. They couldn’t understand why I didn’t just keep my mouth shut. Why I had to egg these kids on. “Why can’t you just ignore them and keep walking when they say something to you?” I can’t count how many counselors told me “they are just words, they can’t hurt you.” but words can hurt and as a scrawny kid who couldn’t fight I learned the right words can hurt much more and much longer than a fist.

We are all products of our childhood and what came out of mine was an unrepentant asshole. This person wasn’t a great fit for the handful of retail jobs I bounced between. I’m not what you would call a “people person”. It was a good fit for making comic strips though. In 1998 I finally discovered an outlet for the the horrible skills I had. My disgusting sense of humor helped to create Penny Arcade and grow it to what it has become today. The same things about me that I used to think were an asset, something good that I brought to the mix have become a liability though. It’s a strange position to be in and I’ve spent a lot of time this year reflecting on it. The person I am isn’t good for PA anymore and in fact who I am and the way I behave has caused real damage to it. So this person isn’t good for PA but I’m not sure it’s good for me either.

So what am I? As a young person I imagined myself a sort of vengeful spirit. A schoolyard Robin Hood who attacked the strong and popular on behalf of the social outcasts. I’m 36 years old now though and I realize what I am is a bully. I may have been the one who got beat up but I sent plenty of kids home in tears. I also realize that I carried those ridiculous insecurities into adulthood. I still see people who attack me as the enemy and I strike back with the same ferocity as that seventh grader I used to be. I’m ashamed of that and embarrassed. The crazy thing is I don’t even necessarily believe the stuff I say a lot of times. It would probably be more noble if I did. The truth is I just say them to be mean. I say them because I know they will hurt. It’s pretty fucked up.

I’ve done a lot of soul searching this year. I’ve tried to figure out what sort of person I am and what sort of person I want to be going forward. I know I don’t want to be this angry kid anymore. I take medicine to control my anxiety and depression but there is no pill I can take to stop being a jerk. That’s a deeper problem and it’s something I’m working on. I love the gaming community. I’ve dedicated the last fifteen years of my life to it. I’d very much like to believe that the good things I’ve helped build will continue far past Penny Arcade and me. I like to believe that Child’s Play and PAX will outlive me and continue to be forces for good in the gaming community. Early on in Child’s Play’s life it became obvious that its connection to PA was hurting it. We had a conversation with a group that was going to dedicate a fountain to the charity here in Seattle but later decided against it because of the content on Penny Arcade. this was probably 9 years ago and long before any of the most recent issues. Even back then I knew it was going to be difficult to be the sort of person I am and make the sort of things I make while still trying to do these other things that I considered good. If a person is bad they must be all bad right? How could someone who writes comics about beastiality also want to help children? We decided at the time to distance ourselves as much as possible from the charity. it has its own site and its own people in charge of it. We promote it but it exists on it’s own and I want any gamer regardless of how they feel about me or Penny Arcade to feel comfortable supporting it.

I feel the same way about PAX. You’ll notice that it is no longer the Penny Arcade Expo. It’s outgrown us and it belongs to the gaming community at large now not just PA fans. Someday I expect to attend a PAX and not even be recognized. That’s honestly fine with me. I don’t want the material on PA or who I am to keep people from attending and enjoying PAX. During the Q&A at PAX Prime we actually talked about slowly removing ourselves from the show over the next few years. We’ve been doing it for a decade now and I’m happy to step out of the way and let the show grow without me rather than inspite of me. That’s only part of the problem though. The other part is fixing some of my own issues and that’s something I need to do on my own.

I’ve seen some articles about the roll for diversity stuff happening at PAX and I respect that some people are hesitant to jump on board or see it as a stunt of some kind. I can tell you in all honesty that it springs from a desire on our part to do better and be better. Is there more we can do? Well to be fair we haven’t even done this yet. I’m sure it will need tuning and adjusting but every tweak and change will be done with the goal of making PAX a better show for everyone.

I’ve learned a ridiculous amount this year. About myself and about other people. It’s been a difficult year, probably the hardest in my life and I realize I brought most of it on myself. That’s a sobering realization. I also realize that I’ve made it harder for the people I care about, my friends and my family. I can’t be this guy anymore. I have every intention of taking the things I’ve learned this year to heart and changing. I’ve said I’m sorry for the things I’ve said but I’ve never apologized for who I am. I need to separate the busted kid from the man I am now. I guess that’s my new years resolution. Might be harder than losing ten pounds.

Via Kotaku

Direct Link

antitrop

That is some heartfelt, deep-down shit. Good on him. I've been extremely vocal about much of Penny Arcade over the last year, but I'm not one to hold grudges when someone truly wants to do some self-reflection and try to make themselves a better person.

SoulUnison

Banned
Is this an apology or a sob story to make me feel bad for him?

This is basically what I got from that.

"Sorry I've been an asshole but people were assholes to me as children so it's ok for me to be an asshole as a fully-grown adult."

It gets better as it goes on but I feel like he spends the first two paragraphs painting himself with the most sympathetic brush available.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I understand the wall he put up as a kid, but people tend to grow up as they hit adulthood and do not need to lash out at people who disagree with their opinions.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

"Sorry I've been an asshole but people were assholes to me as children so it's ok for me to be an asshole as a fully-grown adult."

He never implies that his behavior is okay in any way. Not really sure where you're getting that from. It seems more like he's explaining, not excusing.

I understand the wall he put up as a kid, but people tend to grow up as they hit adulthood and do not need to lash out at people who disagree with their opinions.

Yeah, there are plenty of people who had shitty childhoods who didn't grow up to be acidic towards homosexuals and women.

I mean, as with last thread about him talking about himself and how sorry he is... Good for him for making some kind of progress, but an apology should be him acknowledging where he fucked up and saying he's sorry and not "I was an asshole, but YOU KNOW....."

entremet

Is this an apology or a sob story to make me feel bad for him?

I'm not getting that at all. He's set for life basically. Why would we feel sorry for him?

I'm guessing he's noticing all the shenanigans from the dickwolves stuff was really terrible, which it was.

Vamphuntr

Really good of him to have written all that. It takes a lot of courage to admit your flaws and their origins. Hopefully he's eventually able gather the strength to overcome his demons, it won't be an easy task.

Another example of how bullying destroyed people.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
These people seriously need some good PR folks to write their apologies for them, he'll have the stuff he wrote now come bite him back in the future every time he messes something up

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

It gets better as it goes on but I feel like he spends the first two paragraphs painting himself with the most sympathetic brush available.

To establish empathy perhaps? It doesn't read to me like a plea for forgiveness so much as just an explanation. I mean, this is probably the main line of the entire thing

As a young person I imagined myself a sort of vengeful spirit. A schoolyard Robin Hood who attacked the strong and popular on behalf of the social outcasts. I’m 36 years old now though and I realize what I am is a bully. I may have been the one who got beat up but I sent plenty of kids home in tears.

Risible

No, he spends the first two paragraphs explaining what turned him into an asshole. Nowhere does he remotely imply that what he's done is OK.

I'll be the first to call PA out on their bullshit, but this seems genuine and a good thing.

iammeiam

This is well-written and seems to have come out of some soul searching--specifically acknowledging that his response as a kid turned him into a bully, and he failed to outgrow his childhood bully nature. Wanting to change is good. Acknowledging that his behavior has been unacceptable is good. Whether or not change results remains to be seen, but this reads as sincere and like he's thought about it a lot. The whole "I don't believe all the shit I say" thing is interesting; specific examples would have been appreciated (like, is he acknowledging he made transphobic statements just to be a dick?)

Talking about trying to separate PA from PAX and Child's Play is also good--trying to differentiate between the people who created the things and what they ultimately became, and it's admirable that he knows he's poisoned the images. Trying to remove his ability to become a better person from the fate of PAX/CP is a good thing, and something I hope PA sticks to. There are a lot of people who would cling to things they created which became huge, and kill it rather than see it succeed without them.

These are the right words, I think; hopefully he follows them up with the right actions.

border

Parts of it kind of read like "Please don't boycott PAX or withhold donations from Child's Play just because I'm an asshole -- I really don't have anything to do with those things anymore!"

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I wonder if this soul searching will extend to paying their IT guy a competitive salary and not expecting him to do 3-4 jobs just to save money they can most certainly afford.

Because that job posting was a fucking nightmare.

Actions speak louder than words, right?

I've never really been a fan of PA... not because they offend me - mostly because I just find them unfunny.

I'm still not but I respect anyone who identifies a problem, identifies what caused it, and tries to work on a solution. This what someone in therapy should be doing. Him identifying what caused the problem (his childhood) isn't a sob story, it's a key component to him moving past it.

Isn't he saying he's not one of those people? He seems quite displeased with himself. Good for him for realizing it and writing that shit. It sounds purely honest and from the heart to me. Give the guy a(nother) chance. One last time.

Camwi

Yeah, there are plenty of people who had shitty childhoods who didn't grow up to be acidic towards homosexuals and women.

I mean, as with last thread about him talking about himself and how sorry he is... Good for him for making some kind of progress, but an apology should be him acknowledging where he fucked up and saying he's sorry and not "I was an asshole, but YOU KNOW....."

Come on, he's giving an explanation, not an excuse. Nowhere in there did he say that it was alright for him to be an asshole these past few years.

I've actually developed a lot of disgust towards that website recently thanks to all his BS, so it's nice to see him acknowledge it, and it at least appears like he's working on bettering himself.

I think his first bit was explaining the way his thought process has always been. That's what his excuse has been in the past, but it's pretty clear that he now realizes that this is not healthy for him or those around him. Maturing as a person requires self-reflection and acknowledgement of why someone acts in bad ways, and I respect that he's willing to do that publicly. Whether he can actually change is another question, but one only time will bear out.

Tuck

He explicitly says the exact opposite.

Schnozberry

No, he spends the first two paragraphs explaining what turned him into an asshole. Nowhere does he remotely imply that what he's done is OK.

I'll be the first to call PA out on their bullshit, but this seems genuine and a good thing.

Yeah, I didn't get the impression he was looking for pity. It's hard to dig into your own personal failures, and he at least seems to be trying to directly address the people he's wronged with an explanation.

entremet

Oh look, yet another person devoid of empathy.

Hint: Mike Krahuilik is not the world's worst person by a very long shot.

I have empathy. I don't think he's doing this so people could feel sorry for him. I think you misread my post.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Eh, we'll see if that soul searching turns anything out. I'm skeptical about it but I'd love to be wrong.

Ilúvatar

Everyone is shitty to someone at at least one point in their life. I don't think we need to rake people over the coals for every minute thing.

Vire

Parts of it kind of read like "Please don't boycott PAX or withhold donations from Child's Play just because I'm an asshole -- I really don't have anything to do with those things anymore!"
Kinda what I got from it as well, seems like he realizes he can't sustain the popularity of Penny Arcade and provide for his family if he continues to be an asshole.

Again, plenty of people had shitty childhoods and didn't behave like that.

It should be applauded when somebody admits that they have real serious flaws and have let those flaws take control, turning them into an unbearable asshole.

With any luck, you'll have your moment of epiphany too.

Go spend five minutes on the internet, and you'll find out how wrong you are. The ones who see the problem and try to fix it are very, very rare. The vast majority just keep the cycle going.

Symphonic

This. I moved around as a kid as well and was a jerk until I realized I didn't want to be an asshole and then voila I wasn't.

Getting real sick of PA's constant back and forth with offending people and then writing long blog posts about how sorry they are and how it's just terrible that they've had such rough and troubled upbringings. Either be an asshole or don't, tired of the constant crowd cock sucking.

You say that like you've cleverly discovered some hidden subtext, but he says those things clearly and overtly.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Isn't he saying he's not one of those people? He seems quite displeased with himself. Good for him for realizing it and writing that shit. It sounds purely honest and from the heart to me. Give the guy a(nother) chance. One last time.

I understand that, I just have very little patience for people who tend to not grow up and act like a child well into adulthood. Reading his previous comments it is hard to give him any more chances, even after this 'apology.'

Artorias

Banned
I think I sort of saw an apology in there, but that was grating to read. He feels sorry enough for himself, I'm not sure he needs any more pity.

Again, plenty of people had shitty childhoods and didn't behave like that.

You're right.

Still, he's identifying the problem and working to better himself which is better than most bastards in the world. I've always been a fan of him, and he does seem sincere (and stupid at times) at most things he does.

I don't think he's wanting you to feel sorry for him. He's just telling his story, and apologizing.

sonicmj1

I'm glad he recognizes how his behavior has been harming the good things that PA does, and it takes a lot of courage to publicly admit what he says. I hope this marks the end of the kind of internet fuckwadery that he engaged in.

PAX and Child's Play are both great things, and they don't deserve the fallout he creates with his comments online. It'd be excellent if he can turn a new leaf.

Valnen

This. I moved around as a kid as well and was a jerk until I realized I didn't want to be an asshole and then voila I wasn't.

Getting real sick of PA's constant back and forth with offending people and then writing long blog posts about how sorry they are and how it's just terrible that they've had such rough and troubled upbringings. Either be an asshole or don't, tired of the constant crowd cock sucking.

Sounds like you weren't really traumatized then, for a lot of people it's an almost impossible thing to overcome, because they're broken.

entremet

This isn't great logic FYI.

To be honest, I've done shitty things, but I'm just some random internet poster.

I do think that internet vengeance patrol sometimes tries too hard. We've all have things in our past that we regret doing or saying.

Symphonic

Sounds like you weren't really traumatized then, for a lot of people it's an almost impossible thing to overcome, because they're broken.

I mean it caused problems for me, sure. I have a lot of character flaws because of it. But none of them excuse me being an asshole. It's all about finding ways to work around it. Either he's been spoiled or he doesn't care: at this point in his life he should have found numerous ways around his character flaws.

I'm just sick of him constantly doing the same thing over and over again. He's obviously not going to change, he needs to own up to it and be who he is.

Top Bottom