• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People accidentally buy stuff on PS4; Sony does not offer refunds

Goldrusher

If Sony has explicitly noted and advocated PS3 support, then I'd argue the fault lays with them and they need to fix this immediately.
Exactly, I don't know why they should refund this.

https://support.us.playstation.com/.../5090/~/use-dualshock-4-with-ps3-or-computers

Connecting to a PS3

It is possible to connect a DualShock 4 controller to a PlayStation®3 using a USB cable. It cannot be synced to a PS4 via Bluetooth. Only basic functionality is supported and not all games are compatible.

We do not have any information on full compatibility with individual games at this time.

Joni

Does this only happen with Dark Souls? Why is it only happening now?
Because it requires leaving your PlayStation 4 on instead of standby or off, which there is no reason for unless you want to play on your PS4 or buy stuff on it.

Tizoc

I'm siding with Sony here. This was no error on their side, no technical problem that caused this, no false advertising. It was someone controlling their PlayStation 4 with their PlayStation 4 controller.

...but in case of the OP, they weren't using it to control their PS4.
Although all things considered, the DS4 prob. doesn't delink from the PS4.

You're just sending out a wireless signal that could be picked upo by anything in the neighbourhood. A DualShock 3 can turn on two different PS3 consoles too.

I'm pretty sure the DS4 I use with my laptop hasn't caused my neighbour's PS4 to suddenly turn on unexpectedly and start going through the menus on it or run games on it.

Vizzeh

Banned
Does this mean you can sign in on PS3 + PS4 at the same time with your online account on PSN? Or are people playing their PS3's offline...

Goldrusher

Wait. Are all these people leaving their PS4s on while they play the PS3? Surely they would have noticed the PS4 turning on? I'm confused...
Because it requires leaving your PlayStation 4 on instead of standby or off, which there is no reason for unless you want to play on your PS4 or buy stuff on it.
Why don't you guys read the OP?

I leave my PS4 on as it's downloading updates.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It surprises me that making purchases doesn't require a password confirmation. Isn't this the exact reason why Apple had to change the way purchases work on the App Store when kids were buying in-game garbage for hundreds of dollars?
I'm not saying the guys who bought stuff on PSN are wronged, but Sony's store is definitely flawed that it doesn't require any kind of higher authorization.
PSN supports that. Maybe it should be opt-out instead of opt-in.

Does this only happen with Dark Souls? Why is it only happening now?

I assume it can happen with anything but Dark Souls II just requires the kind of series of button presses that can take you to the store and confirm purchases.

Genuinely amazed at the reaction here and how anti-consumer everyone is. Maybe it wasn't Sony's fault but their system still allowed for it and there's no reason why they couldn't offer a refund and rescind the license to the purchased content. No one loses. You'd certainly expect a refund if digital content was bought on your account that you didn't intend to buy for whatever reason.

ILoveBish

I swap out the cables from ps3 to ps4, impossible to have this problem that way. It would be nice if they refunded but it is user error.

Sophia

Don't be an ass. I'm asking for clarification because not every account presented in the OP is clear. Particularly the second post that the OP quoted. If they're leaving the PS4 on it's entirely their own fault and I have no sympathy.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Turns out the controller can control both at the same time.
What? What?
Like hell it can.

Edit: Wow, actually possible. If it's synched (by synching I understand using it with PS4 as normal) with a PS4 first, then a cable is plugged into PS3, it will control both. That's... an interesting design oversight.

stevil

It would be nice to be able to get a refund in x hours if you didn't play the game. If I buy something at a brick and mortar store I can return it so why should it be different in a digital store. They can see if you played or not...

Well that pushes it from a clear no into a grey area - although a grey area that I feel is still closer to no than it is to yes.

It would be nice to be able to get a refund in x hours if you didn't play the game. If I buy something at a store I can return it so why should it be different in a digital store. They can see if you played or not...

On the face of it that would be a helpful policy for digital stores to have - however, due to the digital nature of the content, it would only really be viable to allow people to cancel after purchase but before starting download of the content.

Kaezul

Because it's a better controller than a DS3 in every single aspect? What a stupid post

I get that its a better controller, I have a PS4 and PS3. But the DS4 is not designed to be used with the PS3. Just use the controller that's actually designed to work with a PS3 =/

Bold One

is this real life?

it is reasonable to assume that using a controller for a console that is still on would continue to control said console.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It would be nice to be able to get a refund in x hours if you didn't play the game. If I buy something at a store I can return it so why should it be different in a digital store. They can see if you played or not...
Yeah, especially if you contact them immediately. It's obviously an error and happier customers are better to have in the long-term.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't wait until I can hook up my PS3 and PS4 to two separate screens so I can play Dark Souls 2 on both systems at the same time.

hesido

You want a retina scan before confirming purchase? Even if you move buttons around, there's still a chance to buy it.

No, I don't want a retina scan, how did you get that impression? A password confirmation by default, where you have the option to not be asked ever again. I'd like to see this as the default option.

It would be nice to be able to get a refund in x hours if you didn't play the game. If I buy something at a brick and mortar store I can return it so why should it be different in a digital store. They can see if you played or not...

This makes so much sense. Any game you haven't booted at all should be eligible for a refund. But I guess this may be too hard for corporate fans to accept?

Dantis

Has anyone tried this? I didn't think it would work with both PS3 and PS4 at the same time.

Also, the PS4 can't be controlled unless you turn on the controller, like Sophia says. When you plug it into your PS3 (Which has to be done wirelessly), you don't press the PS button and turn it on.

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

jimi_dini

Okay, a tiny inaccuracy in the thread title but you're here, aren't you? Basically what's happening is that people are using their PS4 pads to play Dark Souls II on PS3, but the pad is controlling the PS4 at the same time

What? How is this even possible? I have to pair Wiimotes on Wii/Wii U. They will control one of them at a time. Who thought that controlling 2 consoles at the same time was a good idea? What's the reason for allowing this? It makes no sense.

If this is really the case, then Sony deserves a beating with a stick.

web01

In cases like these they should always do the refund as a gesture of good will.
Does more harm in the long term to piss off customers, and people saying they shouldn't are a complete disgrace I imagine you will feel pretty pissed off if you spent $50 accidentally on something you don't even want. Not everyone is rich that can be a lot of money for some people.

Zemm

Amazon are really the only company I've come across that are 100% #fortheplayers. They'd have given you a refund.

_hekk05

Banned
What? What?
Like hell it can.

Can you confirm this? The second anecdote mentions that he thinks it was when the DS4 is not connected to the PS3 (required him to unplug stuff, then he notices the PS4 standby light), that he accidentally bought stuff.

First doesn't mention any possible user errors.

There's always a chance that you accidentally bought the game and then accidentally started the game too.

Sophia

Has anyone tried this? I didn't think it would work with both PS3 and PS4 at the same time.

Also, the PS4 can't be controlled unless you turn on the controller, like Sophia says. When you plug it into your PS3 (Which has to be done wirelessly), you don't press the PS button and turn it on.

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me.

More then that. I just tried it myself. You can't turn the PS4 on when it's connected to the PC or PS3. The PS button does not activate the PS4 when wired. Unless there is some specific technical error unique to Dark Souls 2, I see no reason why Sony should issue refunds. It's user error.

Can someone make a quick video on whether you can actually control both consoles at the same time with the same controller?

That is fucking weird! There must be a fix for it, c'mon.

Regardless of how much smarter all you people are compared to people who accidentally purchased these things, there should be literally zero issue in getting a refund within an hour or two of accidentally purchasing something digitally that you didn't even run once.

There probably should be a more elaborate method for confirming a purchase by default anyway. Password should probably be default, but even a checkbox for "I agree and understand the terms of service" would serve the function in most cases. As is, Sony is just saying "hey man, accidental purchases are a solid revenue stream" which is pretty pathetic.

is this real life?

it is reasonable to assume that using a controller for a console that is still on would continue to control said console.

To me it seems reasonable to assume that using a controller attached to a wire to a PS3 would cease to control a PS4 wirelessly. I can see your point too, but there's no black/white assumption here. He happened to get it wrong and was unlucky but I imagine a hell of a lot of people would make that same assumption without having seen this thread first.

_hekk05

Banned
More then that. I just tried it myself. You can't turn the PS4 on when it's connected to the PC or PS3. The PS button does not activate the PS4 when wired. Unless there is some specific technical error unique to Dark Souls 2, I see no reason why Sony should issue refunds. It's user error.

Anyone with dark souls 2 willing to test it? For science?

hesido

There's always a chance that you accidentally bought the game and then accidentally started the game too.

But the more steps, the less likely. You can also randomly tap in a valid password, but that's even less likely.

As is, Sony is just saying "hey man, accidental purchases are a solid revenue stream" which is pretty pathetic.

Well said. The smart consumers who never make such mistakes deny others the protection required just so Sony doesn't lose accidental buys or impulse buys that are deterred by asking a password by default (where upon first asking, they could have the option to not be asked the password again.)

Frumix

Suffering From Success

No, but if it's already turned on and the controller is in use by PS4, plugging it into a PS3 will continue to send inputs to PS4 in addition to sending it through the cable. Just did it, it works. PS4 was in the DM, PS3 was running Beyond at the time.

Five

Banned
An easy fix would be not allowing store purchases (or access, even) when the PS4 isn't properly outputting an image. This is, of course, assuming that the people running into this issue are people who use the same TV for PS3 and PS4 and had the HDMI input switched. Doesn't the HDMI handshake let the console know when the screen isn't receiving the signal? If not, then never mind.

jts

...hate me...
I don't see how Sony would act otherwise. Sony is not exactly a stellar pro-consumer company, so the fact that a consumer accidentally, non-intentionally bought a game on their platform isn't enough to warrant a refund, because of the simple fact they can remove themselves from responsibility in this case. "Yoink! Our money now". Good move, based Sony corporation.

Dantis

You have to turn the PS4 on first, connect the controller, then plug it into the PS3.

If this really happened, then you'd have to be pretty stupid.

In cases like these they should always do the refund as a gesture of good will.
Does more harm in the long term to piss off customers, and people saying they shouldn't are a complete disgrace I imagine you will feel pretty pissed off if you spent $50 accidentally on something you don't even want. Not everyone is rich that can be a lot of money for some people.

How are they a disgrace? This wasn't Sony's fault it was the op's fault. Accident or not it's nothing to do with Sony

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I assume it can happen with anything but Dark Souls II just requires the kind of series of button presses that can take you to the store and confirm purchases.

Genuinely amazed at the reaction here and how anti-consumer everyone is. Maybe it wasn't Sony's fault but their system still allowed for it and there's no reason why they couldn't offer a refund and rescind the license to the purchased content. No one loses. You'd certainly expect a refund if digital content was bought on your account that you didn't intend to buy for whatever reason.

Why are you surprised ? You're on the same place where a lot of people are laughing at the reaction to Dark Souls 2 being downgraded whilst dogpiling on Ubisoft and WatchDogs. People on GAF can be funny with their reactions :p

I would ring up Sony and ask to speak to a manager to get my refund. I sure as fuck wouldn't let it lie.

Joni

I'm pretty sure the DS4 I use with my laptop hasn't caused my neighbour's PS4 to suddenly turn on unexpectedly and start going through the menus on it or run games on it.
Your PS4 controller isn't linked to your neighbours console, it is linked to yours.

The PlayStation 4 downloads stuff from stand-by too, but it doesn't listen to commands unless you press the PlayStation button. I read the OP, you should read the PS4 user manual or this topic:

The fact that the PS4 will still download when it is standby mode makes this even funnier.

Sophia

No, but if it's already turned on and the controller is in use by PS4, plugging it into a PS3 will continue to send inputs to PS4 in addition to sending it through the cable. Just did it, it works.

Right, that's obvious, although I am a bit surprised it sends inputs to both. But like I said, that is in no way Sony's fault for the user's incompetence. Hardly a horrible system flaw, or "absurd" that Sony isn't refunding it. :\

Rocky

Banned
What? How is this even possible? I have to pair Wiimotes on Wii/Wii U. They will control one of them at a time. Who thought that controlling 2 consoles at the same time was a good idea? What's the reason for allowing this? It makes no sense.

If this is really the case, then Sony deserves a beating with a stick.

The DS4 works on the PS3 via USB cable connection. The bluetooth is PS4 only. It was mentioned earlier in the topic. Maybe you should read first before you bash Nintendo's competitors.

DieH@rd

Banned
tina-fey-alec-baldwin-there-there.gif

Also original thread title was super shitty.

Clockwork

An easy fix would be not allowing store purchases (or access, even) when the PS4 isn't properly outputting an image. This is, of course, assuming that the people running into this issue are people who use the same TV for PS3 and PS4 and had the HDMI input switched. Doesn't the HDMI handshake let the console know when the screen isn't receiving the signal? If not, then never mind.

Any easier fix would be to not use your PS4 controller on your PS3.

Some will be up in arms at that suggestion though.

Steroyd

It surprises me that making purchases doesn't require a password confirmation. Isn't this the exact reason why Apple had to change the way purchases work on the App Store when kids were buying in-game garbage for hundreds of dollars?
I'm not saying the guys who bought stuff on PSN are wronged, but Sony's store is definitely flawed that it doesn't require any kind of higher authorization. I think that's the important part of the story here. Not too long ago there was that thread about being able to order and confirm purchases in the store within four or five button presses.

You can select the password confirmation beforr purchase in the options, it's just not defaulted on when you first set it up.

_hekk05

Banned

I'm just saying its not a good way to gauge whether a refund should be given or not.

No, but if it's already turned on and the controller is in use by PS4, plugging it into a PS3 will continue to send inputs to PS4 in addition to sending it through the cable. Just did it, it works. PS4 was in the DM, PS3 was running Beyond at the time.

So... you take a DS4 that is currently synced with a PS4 while the PS4 is on, and plug it into a PS3?

Who on earth thinks that is a good idea?

123rl

Or switching the ps4 off after it comes on. Or unplugging it, therefore removing any possibility of it being used? Or is that too obvious?

Yagharek

Sony refuse to issue refunds when people get Fifa hacked, so they wont give a shit when you accidentally do it yourself.

PSN customer service is notoriously lacking in this regard, especially in Australia.

Top Bottom