• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are sanding down their glossy black consoles

If companies would stop making stupid glossy electronics, people wouldn't feel the need to resort to this...

This. I cannot fucking stand the high-gloss finish. It scratches so damned easily. Matte black PS2 and matte black 360slim are the two prettiest consoles in console history (IMHO).

I've been kicking around the idea of sanding down my XB1 and PS4's high-gloss sides, and if they don't announce matte versions I can switch to soon, you better believe I'll be doing this too, even if it means bricking the unit if I get sanding dust in bad places.

>:)

Those WiiU ones look goddamn beautiful. Almost looks like an HTC One (m8)
kLTr9Y6.jpg

MrBenchmark

You might want to see it but wouldn't want to hold it; it probably feels terrible. Lines won't be even like any consumer brushed metal object (not sure you can ever sand plastic to feel like brushed metal anyway).

Yeah I don't think I could draw myself to do that.

This. I cannot fucking stand the high-gloss finish. It scratches so damned easily. Matte black PS2 and Matte Black 360slim are the two prettiest consoles in console history (IMHO).

I've been kicking around the idea of sanding down my XB1 and PS4's high-gloss sides, and if they don't announce matte versions I can switch to soon, you better believe I'll be doing this too, even if it means bricking the unit if I get sanding dust in bad places.

Well I would imagine sanding down the sides of a console would void its warranty even if you don't remove the warranty stickers thus you're probably better off simply taking it apart and working with the outer plastic shell itself. Then put it back together once it's done

This. I cannot fucking stand the high-gloss finish. It scratches so damned easily. Matte black PS2 and Matte Black 360slim are the two prettiest consoles in console history (IMHO).

I guess if you REALLY want to do it to your PS4, you could just take off the HDD cover (the glossy panel) and sand that separately. It comes off to allow you to change the HDD, so if you're going to do it do that.
Those WiiU ones look goddamn beautiful. Almost looks like an HTC One (m8)
kLTr9Y6.jpg
It won't feel like that, though. You can't make cheap plastic FEEL like aluminium.

AlexBasch

I own a Xbox 360 E version and the damn thing is scratched to the hell and back on the lower part because I put it horizontal.

Wrecks my fucking nerves to see that damage.

TopGun

Banned
Scratching the surface to hell for "cosmetic" reasons? WHY.

-There goes some resale value-- it's not worth more anymore, it's far less.
-You paid $400 to scratch up something nice
-Glossy finishes are nice, brushed aluminum look can only work well on certain devices, not all.

There's a special place in hell for people like this.
oQmDuWb.jpg

I was on top of this pre-launch. yippee.
Anyway, I hate that they went with shine. Instant grimy oily mess. Matte everything for electronics is the best. Extra dark charcoal would've been my choice, not black. Neutral enough for mass consumption but simply better looking. Wouldn't clash with other TV area stuff either.
Now have to wait for slim matte version. Matte seems like common sense. "Let's just add a section of gloss on the top so people can grease it up." Thanks, designers.
PS2 slammed the industry with matte coolness.

First thing I'm gonna do is rough up that shine with large grit sandpaper

I didn't even realize that was a Wii U for a while there. Would look so much better without the gloss. The other products are trashed though.

yami4ct

I would never do this myself, for obvious reasons of it being super terrifying to do, but I have to admit that it looks super nice on that Wii U and Xbox One. I love that sort of faux brushed aluminum look. Sure, it would look decidedly less good in person due to the lines not being straight, but in pictures it's really neat.

Also, count me totally on the "matte finish only" bandwagon. Glossy electronics pick up fingerprints and dust way too fast. It's gross. Matte just always looks classy.

PaulloDEC

Wii U looks great. XBOX One and Macbook... not so much.

I like the idea in theory, but I wouldn't risk it on my own gear.

The reactions of everyone in this thread is more entertaining / cringeworthy. Not sure if serious.

Doesn't look that bad at all. Wouldn't do it myself, personally, but meh.

LQX

I fucking HATE glossy electronics. I wonder if these companies are putting into consideration they easily scratch and are dust magnets. For fucks sake. STOP with the glossy finish on electronics.

malfcn

I have been wondering when Xbox One will get the full matte treatment. The S launched glossy, and now matte is standard.

And didn't people do this with their iPods back in the day. They would brush the metal backing to look nicer.

I have to agree with the people saying that people seem to be overreacting to this. If the people like it like that, then what's the problem. That MacBook does look horrendous though.

Muku

Would I prefer a lot more electronics with matte finished? Yes I would. The glossy is the worst thing to happen to electronics. However, getting straight lines to look good would be difficult at best. The Wii U and XBox One look horrendous. I would never treat my stuff to that kind of "fix." More power to you if you like it, but from those pics I see I don't think they look liked brushed metal at all.

blamite

Honestly that Wii U looks pretty great. If Nintendo offered a matte version that looked like that, I'd have definitely bought it over the glossy one.

I don't really see the issue. They're just boxes, as long as they still work it doesn't matter. I used to put stickers all over mine. I should start doing that again in fact.

Vidpixel

Yikes at that Mac Book. I mean, it's their stuff so they can technically do whatever they want with them, but this just feels wrong on so many levels.

Vestax

Banned
Hmm, I don't know. It doesn't look too bad to me, specially the Wii. The XBO is 50-50. I had some light scuff marks on my old XBO, really think it would have looked better if I wouldn't have done this mod.

shink

At first I was like what's this Nintendo console and then saw the comments of Wii U. Oops. The Wii U looks great though.

Idk, to me this not only looks awful, it is an enormous waste of time and money. Particularly that macbook, heck that thing looks like shit lol.

Top Bottom