• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are sanding down their glossy black consoles

I actually think some of those shots look good. I can't stand glossy black consoles, so I'm probably going to end up spray painting the glossy HDD cover on my PS4 a nice matte color.

Alpende

The Wii U doesn't look that bad, the Macbook looks like shit. I wouldn't do this anyway, I'll stick with that small glossy party of my PS4.

Zocano

I wish manufacturers would release matte versions of consoles. Even if it was a bit more expensive, I'd be willing to pay for a matte finish and not the glossy garbage we always get.

Doesn't that hurt the resale value or something? I can't imagine gamestop or amazon excepting those things in that condition.
So sell it directly on ebay or craigslist or whatever instead of trading it in. As long as the result looks good, it might not hurt the resale value *that much* because you might have some potential buyers that prefer the "brushed plastic" look?

The xbone looks like crap, though. The horizontal lines on the sanded plastic clash against the diagonal ridges of the other side, imo. Wii U isn't so bad, but he could've done a better job of getting the lines straight.

Those pictures of the Wii U and Xbox One look good, I think. I hate gloss on electronics so much. I'm hoping some company comes out with a matte version of the hard drive cover for PS4.

If companies would stop making stupid glossy electronics, people wouldn't feel the need to resort to this...

Haha yep. I don't like the gloss look either. Although I wouldn't resort to this.

I have thought about sanding the gloss parts down and airbrushing them flat black... but, I'd probably be too scared of messing it up a little.

watershed

Banned
The first few look quite nice, it gives the consoles an industrial look. But I wouldn't trust just anyone to do this to my consoles.

I actually like what they're going for with the Xbox One there, and generally prefer matte finishes to glossy ones. It's probably not something I'd put the time into doing myself, though.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Why do people hate glossy?
This. I can understand that people dislike glossy handhelds since you touch them regularly, but you dont touch the glossy parts of a console unless you move it, which shouldn't happen very often.

The way the MacBook was treated is really bad. Way to make a 2000$ computer unsellable.

Madness

If companies would stop making stupid glossy electronics, people wouldn't feel the need to resort to this...

Or maybe just maybe people could not be so crazy about how their device looks? I mean wtf, I remember when electronics were matte or black and people would paint them glossy paint, send it to colorware or whatever.

Seems like more consumer entitlement where they need everything precisely how they like it. Companies develop signature looks they want. For every one who wants a matte console, there are those who want glossy white or black, or high end looking finishes.

Picobrain

Banned
They should ban glossy materials, everything looks cooler when is matte, even cars:

matte+gray+maserati+granturismo.JPG

Caayn

It actually looks better than expected. Glossy looks good when it's still in the packaging but the moment you touch it it becomes ugly.
This.

I find it odd that people are seriously freaking out about this. People do cosmetic mods all the time. If you care about resell value on a console, then don't do it. I know I almost never sell any game systems, so it doesn't matter to me. Don't like the way it looks? Then don't do it.

I'd give this a shot if I had a black Wii U. That or get a wood grain decal or something.

The 3DS one looks amazing.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This. I can understand that people dislike glossy handhelds since you touch them regularly, but you dont touch the glossy parts of a console unless you move it, which shouldn't happen very often.

The way the MacBook was treated is really badly. Way to make a 2000$ computer unsellable.

Pretty much this. Why are you man handling your consoles so much?

Alucrid

Banned
i remember when i bought a 360 faceplate with a poorly sanded down pattern and put it on my xbox

it was fucking dope

I'm actually pretty shocked by everyone freaking out in this thread. Besides that poor Macbook, I think those all look pretty awesome. I'd consider trying it out if I had more glossy stuff. Maybe I'll pull out my broken DSlite and see how it looks afterwords. If I do, I'll post some pics.

The resell value thing is a good point, but I almost never resell my electronics. If you do it to something you know you'll probably trade/sell, then you're a moron. The only downside I see to it being done properly is that changing the look doesn't change the fact that its plasticy in texture.

Do people do things with their consoles that I am not aware of?

Personally I put my console in the tv stand and that is where it stays.

How is it "impossible" to not scratch glossy plastic?

After a couple of times putting it into my bag and going to a friends, it already had lots of hairlines on it. It then got some other scuffs and whatnot from having controllers sat on top of it. It's real easy to scratch them.

Just by removing the dust you get light scuffs. Mines don't move at all and I use a micro-fiber cloths to remove dust, and I have minor lines.

Caayn

I remove the dust every once in a while,
glossy is a massive dust magnet in my home it'll look gray instead of black in a matter of days
, and even with a micro-fibre cloth it's impossible to do it without making scratches on the cheap glossy plastic.

dc89

That Wii U looks pretty damn good in my opinion.

This iPhone 5 with a polished/sanded bezel also looks good.

hD9ygiB.jpg

zoukka

Well glossy is the worst possible surface so I can't blame them even though the end result is fugly too.

Glossy devices are only sold because then companies can sell you a matte edition of the same device.

I remove the dust every once in a while,
glossy is a massive dust magnet in my home it'll look gray instead of black in a matter of days
, and even with a micro-fibre cloth it's impossible to do it without making scratches on the cheap glossy plastic.

I use a feather duster on mine and not one scratch, although admittedly I don't sit there with a magnifying glass, turning it over in my hands. From over here on the couch, my consoles look as smooth as a baby's butt. But I get your point.

taco543

I truly loathe glossy finish on electronics, but I would never do that to my electronics. Fuck resell value if I'm going to do anything at the least I'll leave it alone or get a vinyl skin at the most I'll case mod it and make it look sick but this is a poor lazy man's in between. But with all that being said,
Wii u don't look half bad

Top Bottom