• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who only kinda sorta like anime...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Little Witch Academia
Hyouka
Fate/Zero
Mononoke
Tsuritama
Kuuchuu Buranko/Trapeze
Blood-C
The Tatami Galaxy
Dennou Coil
Wolf Children Ame & Yuki

Have fun!

Do not watch Detective Conan. That shit is way too long OP.

It's not a series you have to watch every episode. So many of the stories are self contained and just are interesting to watch on their own.

But yeah, if you want a complete beginning to end series to watch, avoid Detective Conan for sure. Somewhere in the 600 or 700's now I believe.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I would suggest Golden Boy. It's honestly one of the funniest animes ever made, bar none. Plus it's only 6 episodes so it's a real easy watch.

I watched the first half of the first episode of shin mazinger z and it was completely and utterly incomprehensible. Around 30 characters were introduced within that 10 minutes and not a single thing made any sort of sense or tied together with anything else at all ever. It was the worst 10 minutes of any show that I've ever seen in my entire life. It's not "hot-blooded". It has to actually make sense to be hot-blooded. It's actually worse than Gattaca.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the first episode. I have no idea what the fuck they were trying to accomplish there. From the second episode on it's actually coherent, the first episode was literally a clipshow of the rest of the season, odd as it is.

Actually the new Jojo show is pretty much the epitome of hot-blooded action, so there's another recommendation for what it's worth.

I'm watching Deadwood currently, so I'll try FLCL first. Clearly an omen.

tumblr_lhreuwCQKn1qav6t4o1_400.gif

FLCL is available on funimations youtube page I think. Its only 6 episodes. I haven't watched it in years, I should probably go ahead and watch it again soon

One of my friends has been trying to get me to watch Macross F for years. I also want to check out Monster on hulu

FYC

Banned
It's not a series you have to watch every episode. So many of the stories are self contained and just are interesting to watch on their own.

But yeah, if you want a complete beginning to end series to watch, avoid Detective Conan for sure. Somewhere in the 600 or 700's now I believe.

Detective Conan is my favorite series ever but I'll never get caught up. Can't even find episodes these days.

I wish Funimation hosted them on their site like they do with One Piece and others.

Edit: They host a few, but not much at all from what I can see. Only up to 52.

Oh well, at least I have the movies. And the first few episodes I have on DVD that I could watch forever and never get bored of.

Zebra

Kids on the Slope.

Slice-of-life series about a group of kids that bond through Jazz music. Only 12 episodes, so it's not a huge time-sink. Great soundtrack, emotionally well rounded. It's the only series I've watched the past couple of years and I recommend it any chance I get.

Soriku

Gintama (best Shonen, but takes a while to get going)
HunterxHunter (great Shonen)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (another great Shonen)
Steins;Gate (great time travel story)
Mirai Nikki (plot twists: the anime. Great story, great anime.)

Also give Death Note a second chance.

Start:

Watch at least the first few episodes of His and Her Circumstances (english dub). Don't have to watch it all. It may not seem like your type of show, but that's why you start with this. Trust me.

Then:

Crest of the Stars
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Kino's Journey
Monster
Tsukikage Ran
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen
Serial Experiments Lain

Then:

Katanagatari
Genshiken
Berserk
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Black Lagoon
Master Keaton
Princess Tutu
Kaiba

Straight comedies are purely personal taste, but try:

School Rumble
Full Metal Panic
Golden Boy

For shonen, try Hunter X Hunter.

Lupin III and City Hunter if you want older shows.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yu Yu Hakusho English dub

I dislike most anime too. I like Jin-Roh, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Outlaw Star.

I liked both the full metal alchemist series. If you opt to only watch one, go for brotherhood, but they diverge after like 15-20 episodes. Both are 50 episodes long.

Gundam Seed (early 2000) is pretty good if you're looking for mecha stuff. If you dislike the art style or want a more modern gundam, try Gundam 00. Both of these are also 50 episodes long, but I believe seed has a compilation movie, never watched it.

I like berserk but the OVA's are still in production and the original anime series ends pretty early. Berserk is pretty dark and unfortunately a lot of the themes are glossed over in the new ova's.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Gunsmith Cats was another easy one to get into. Only 3 parts, very western styled in setting and execution, very much like a prototype of Cowboy Bebop. If you liked Bebop, you'll probably like this. Very accessible.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Don't give Deathnote a second chance. The first 2 episodes are the pinnacle of the writing. If you don't like those, you won't like the rest.

KarmaCow

I remember people saying Space Brothers would be good for people for who liked Planetes but that was a while ago. There are 56 episodes, is it worth it to the end?

Verelios

GAF has me covered with all the essentials. So I'll just put out there:

Here and there;now and then.

Wonderful anime, especially given what you like in the OP. More people should check it out.

Risette

A Good Citizen
If you like Miyazaki movies then you should watch Takahata's movies. You already like Grave of the Fireflies. Only Yesterday and Gauche the Cellist are the best.

Also, I recommend Kenya Boy outside of that.

Lynd7

Black Jack OVA (Series)
Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix (2004 Series)
They Were Eleven (Film)
All Makoto Shinkai Works. The most recent of which is a lot more like a Ghibli film in terms of content. (Films)
Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Film)
Now and Then, Here and There (Series)
Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (Film)
Redline (Film)
Gunsmith Cats OVA
Macross Plus OVA
Metropolis (Film)

Servbot24

Banned
I have seen:

Death Note - excellent, super addicting
Dragonball - very charming
Dragonball Z - very stupid
Gurren Lagan - Some good parts, but it drags in some
Cowboy Bebop - very good, must see
Working on Monster now which is good

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Watch Hajime no Ippo, it's boxing and shit.

Only anime I've watched outside of whatever I saw dubbed and put on as saturday morning cartoons.

neoism

I'm only a casual fan... the only anime you should ever watch is the masterpiece.. Samurai Champloo best anime ever.....
Trigun is good
FLFL is good

Forkball

I strongly recommend Boogiepop Phantom.

2003fall-3.jpg

If you're into those deeply symbolic and abstract type of story telling you see in some anime, you will like this. It's kind of a thriller/mystery, but touches on a lot of themes and ideas. The muted color scheme is very unique and I haven't really seen anything like it in anime since. It's only 13 episodes so you can go through it very easily. It was written by Sadayuki Murai, who wrote a lot of Satoshi Kon's movies and some of Cowboy Bebop.

Fivefold

Banned
cowboy bebop and samurai champloo are pretty safe

i suggest you give a wide berth to any recommendations using japanese titles

Camp Lo

Banned
DBZ, Hellsing, and Cowboy Bebop are the only series I ever liked. As far as movies go, Project A-Ko, Ninja Scroll, Vampire Hunter D, and Afro Samurai were really good.

MikeMyers

Dragonball - silly martial arts serious, but mostly self-aware and fun
Sailor Moon - I used to like it but after reading the manga I find the anime dull & full of filler.
Yu Yu Haksuho - really awesome but I dont like it after the Dark Tournament
Inuyasha - Gets a lot of hate and it is repetitive but I enjoyed it.
Baka and Test - Short series, but insanely entertaining.

Do not watch Detective Conan. That shit is way too long OP.

I remember watching that show on Adult Swim and liked it, so I wanted to start watching it again...but then I found out it was 700 episodes! Fuck that

Same here OP, I can barely stomach anime :X

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Studio Ghibli films is what I've enjoyed. Everything goes downhill from there IMO (Evangelion... blech).

EDIT:

For some reason however, anime art doesn't prevent me from enjoying games like Phoenix Wright, Fire Emblem, and Ouendan. I suspect it's mostly because I enjoy the gameplay so much.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Most people dislike 98% of everything, if we actually put the effort into consuming all of that 98%.

Dragonball - silly martial arts serious, but mostly self-aware and fun
Sailor Moon - I used to like it but after reading the manga I find the anime dull & full of filler.
Yu Yu Haksuho - really awesome but I dont like it after the Dark Tournament
Inuyasha - Gets a lot of hate and it is repetitive but I enjoyed it.
Baka and Test - Short series, but insanely entertaining.

I remember watching that show on Adult Swim and liked it, so I wanted to start watching it again...but then I found out it was 700 episodes! Fuck that

I liked it too. I got to around episode 80, looked up when it was over and said fuck that.

Rad-

I'm not a big anime fan either but out of the current shows I'm really enjoying Attack on Titan.

Mobius 1

I've been thinking about getting into Patlabor. Surprise there is no widespread love for it in this thread, from what I heard of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom