• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who only kinda sorta like anime...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
How about stand alone movies like ghost in the shell? Any recommendations like that? I'm still scarred from when I rented something about an overfiend from my local video store. Tentacles....

Izayoi

Banned
I strongly recommend completely ignoring anyone in this thread who suggested you watch a currently-airing show, especially based off of what you liked.

Nothing this season will be enjoyable to you, and it's highly likely that outside of a few movies and maybe a handful of shows in the past ten years, you're going to hate everything you watch.

Most TV anime is low-budget tripe and outside of people who really love anime it has no audience. You've already seen some of the best, I'd honestly recommend just enjoying the experiences that you had and forgetting that the rest even exists.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How about stand alone movies like ghost in the shell? Any recommendations like that? I'm still scarred from when I rented something about an overfiend from my local video store. Tentacles....

Pretty much any Miyazaki (or Ghibli) film, any Satoshi Kon film, or any Hosada film.

rpmurphy

Oh jeez, how much is left? 56+ episodes is a huge investment. :(
Get watching then! :p

It's not that bad going through it though. Skip the recap + OP + ED + preview, and you'll shave off a bunch each episode. You could catch up in like 2-3 weeks easy.

remnant

Banned
Attack on titan.

You're Welcome.

I enjoy Attack on titan, but holy hell the show isn't that great. it has a lot of the same bullshit you see in a typical anime.

it's very well done, but its still the same old shit.

honestly OP it seems like you seen most of the "great" anime out there. Add Cowboy Bebop and prepare for a drastic drop in quality.

genjiZERO

As someone similar to you I have to completely agree about Planetes. It's easily one of the most genuinely mature anime I've ever seen.

giggas

I used to be SUPER into anime when I was finishing grade school and through most of high school. I watched and loved anything I could find. At some point though, I think between a combination of developing taste and literally just getting too much of the shit, I really backed off from it. I'm in my 30s now, so there has been a long enough break in there to where I've come to recognize what I liked was shit and what I genuinely love.

Like you I love the Ghibli stuff and the classics - Akira, GiTs, that stuff. The two shows that have withstood the test of time are without a doubt Cowboy Bebop and Macross Plus. They're both as good now as they were then. I still just adore those. You've gotten a ton of suggestions for Bebop, it's a must. I've seen other people say Samurai Champloo, which I found really disappointing. I think if maybe you watched it before Bebop you'd dig it, but from the 5 - 6 episodes I've seen it literally traces over too similar ground that Bebop covers. Some episode plots are nearly identical. I stopped watching it.

Another series I caught a few years ago and really liked was Mushishi. It's almost kind of like the X-Files of anime. It's super chill and has a great lead character. All self contained, interesting stories. Totally worth checking out a few.

One of my new favorites is Redline. It's a bat shit insane racing movie with unbelievable set pieces. It's one of the few movies (not just anime, all movies) that I wanted to watch again almost as soon as it ended. Just awesome.

Evangelion is a tough one I think. Only mentioning it since it got so many mentions here. It doesn't really get good until halfway through, and even "good" is a bit of an over statement. The show literally has zero likeable lead characters. Shinji, the lead, is unbearable. I was never able to warm up to him and as the show rolled on I only hated him more and more. Some cool ideas in there and a neat ending, but for me it wasn't really worth the pain of getting to those moments. It's a celebrated one, but I never quite understood it.

edit: I also have a bit of a soft spot for The Vision of Escaflowne still too. I've kind of been afraid to rewatch it because I don't want to possibly come to the realization that it's not good. But in my memory it's a cool show that kind of straddles the edge of shonen and shojo anime. Has amazing music at least, I still listen to those OSTs.

luxsol

As someone similar to you I have to completely agree about Planetes. It's easily one of the most genuinely mature anime I've ever seen.
I thought the anime was a waste of money.
A stupid comedy, shoving in annoying characters, corny storylines, and other silly shit.

The later episodes in the anime were better (because that's when it was actually following the manga storyline), but by then i had already wasted too much money and time.

Better just to buy the manga than waste time and money with the anime.

Patlabor is pretty similar to the Planetes anime in tone, but so much better done and not forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom