• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People who only kinda sorta like anime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty picky when it comes to anime, usually.

I'd second the recommendations for:

Mushishi
Monster
Kino's Journey
Haibane Renmei
Berserk
Serial Experiments Lain
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Gunslinger Girl

MikeMyers

It seems like people who love anime are giving recommendations. I don't think the OP wanted that.

I liked anime a lot when I was younger, but as I grew I became more indifferent with it. As you may have noticed most of the anime I mentioned were stuff that aired in the US late 90s/early 2000s.

Occasionally, I'll watch a short series anime and watch it. But then we get stuff like Detective Conan which is 700 episodes...which as you put it:

I liked it too. I got to around episode 80, looked up when it was over and said fuck that.

Axiom

I've not watched anime for about 10 years, I got really bored of all the tropes. However, the last thing I saw that I really liked was the Read or Die OVA.
Completely stand alone story about a British Intelligence service that employs agents with special powers, 3 episodes, 90 minutes total.

No idea about the TV series that followed.

I think Castle of Cagliostro is worth a watch for anyone, it's old school enough that it has all the energy of anime you'd expect without the standard things that tend to put people off.

For more serious stuff, I don't have my old VHS tapes anymore to look, but I think I quite liked Wings of Honneamise.

sn00zer

Oh Oh
Mononoke the series....blew my mind with its originality in art style...and its super short...like 6-8 episodes

Yu Yu Hakusho English dub

I dislike most anime too. I like Jin-Roh, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Outlaw Star.

A great suggestion. Maybe longer than OP is looking for at 112 episodes, but it is so good. One of the best dubs outside of Cowboy Bebop in my opinion.

I think it's about time for one of my full series rewatches I do every year or two.

Palmer_v1

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad.

It's a slice of life anime about some teenagers and young adults trying to put a band together to become famous. Can't remember the episode count but it's basically just one self contained series, which is a big draw for me. I kinda hate multi-season shows, especially ones that seem to drag on pointlessly forever.

Planetes is another one like that.

Others have suggested them, but I second Cowboy Bebop and Baccano as well.

Axiom

How can you not watch anime for 10 years?

Well I've probably seen bits here and there, but I don't remember it and I've not sat down and watched a show or DVD since about when Spirited Away came out.

Wait no, I think they showed a Xxxholic movie at a pop-culture convention in 2008. That was pretty neat.

Question: I'm sort of in the same boat as OP, not a really hardcore anime watcher, is the Persona 4 animation worth checking out (Im really enjoying the game)?

sega4ever

most of what the people in this thread are recommending you is crap. some good stuff is:

monster
berserk
ninja scroll
vampire hunter d
cowboy bebop

stay away from anything shonen, slice of life.

Macmanus

most of what the people in this thread are recommending you is crap. some good stuff is:

monster
berserk
ninja scroll
vampire hunter d
cowboy bebop

stay away from anything shonen, slice of life.

I've actually seen the last three of your five, and liked them all. Though going through this thread I've realized I haven't given Bebop the reverence it deserves. I'll correct that wrong swiftly.

Lynd7

I'll mention this again because I feel it deserves watching, and it seems no one else is recommending it.

Phoenix 2004 TV series (Osamu Tezuka Productions)

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
+1 on Monster, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Golden Boy.

squidyj

Most of these recommendations are really good.

I can definitely get behind the Shinichiro Watanabe track
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Kids on the Slope

then there's FLCL and Planetes and Space Bros! not to mention all the movies that have been mentioned

But.... why on earth would anyone ever recommend Boogiepop Phantom?
I watched the first episode with some friends and it was one of the most unintentionally hilarious things I've ever seen.

First episode :
"washin mah hands"...
"washin mah hands some more"...
"still washin mah hands"...
"i wanna be killed by the guy i like".
BOOGIEPOP PHANTOM.

On a more positive note I would however recommend Paranoia Agent

Dooters

Neo Member
Fate/Zero
Gunbuster
Kuuchuu Buranko
The Tatami Galaxy
Mushishi
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Mononoke
Hajime no Ippo
Fantastic Children
Great Teacher Onizuka
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Wolf Children Ame and Yuki

I'm pretty picky when it comes to anime, usually.

I'd second the recommendations for:

Mushishi
Monster
Kino's Journey
Haibane Renmei
Berserk
Serial Experiments Lain
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Gunslinger Girl

This guy knows what's up.

Absolute works of art.

I'd also recommend Aria the Animation as an immensely tranquil, beautiful experience.

I believe the reason why I only sort of like anime is that it sometimes seems like they MUST be centered around a high school classroom for whatever reason, and it got really boring to me after watching Nazo no Kanojo X. I don't know what my taste is, but I know what it isn't, and it isn't high school anime anymore, nor is it feudal period or future period.

That said, I recently really enjoyed both Nana and Genshiken a LOT recently (recommended to me in the anime thread). Besides those, my old favorites include Super Milk-Chan (it has two very different dubs, I only like one of them) and Battle Athletes: Victory. Also Evangelion for some reason. Similar to the OP, I really don't know why...

LowParry

Hmmmmm...

Sword of the Stranger (if you want a good movie to sit down and watch)
Soul Eater (it has its quirks but when it actually starts rolling with the plot, it's pretty entertaining)
Hellsing Ultimate (so good, trust me)
Vampire Hunter D (only two movies but they're really fun)
Big O (It's showtime! Always makes me smile when I hear it)

Sword Art Online.
Trololol

Add me in for the Attack on Titan crowd. It's been very good so far. We have yet to see how the rest of the season will be, though . . .

Deadbeat

Banned
Cyber City Oedo 808

You can find the episodes on youtube. Theres only three. I remember as a kid thinking how awesome japanese cartoons are. How times have changed.

Tacitus_

2XqQdsX.jpg

It's like FLCL condensed into a movie (reasonable given they share a lot of the head honchos)

I'm not into anime at all, but I really enjoyed Deadman Wonderland when it was running on Toonami. I'd definitely recommend it.

I have the same anime experience as the OP though I have also seen the first version of FMA. I popped my cherry with Evangelion. Currently watching Bebop, halfway through and so far I don't like it.

My favourite anime is FLCL. Mostly because it was a parody/critique of everything I'd seen before it. I equate it to the Singing Dectective in so much as they deliver similar messages and subvert the genres that they occupy.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Haibane Renmei

Serial Experiments Lain

Kino's Journey

This is a good post.

More I would add for something different...

r2aUbo9.png

Revolutionary Girl Utena

''Never lose that strength or nobility, even when you grow up.'' When Utena was just a child and in the depths of sorrow, she found salvation in those words. They were the words of a prince, who wrapped her in his rose-scented embrace and bestowed upon her both a ring and the promise that it would lead her to him again. She never forgot the encounter. In fact, she was so impressed that she aspired to be like the prince and also help those in need. Now a spirited teenager, Utena attends the prestigious Ohtori Academy. However, her strong sense of chivalry soon places her at odds with the school's student council and thrusts her into a series of mysterious and dangerous duels against its members.

61QJ2CS8VML.jpg

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monter Cristo

A sci-fi imagining of the classic tale, this show features a very unique art style. Despite the sci-fi setting, and get changes to the ending, it is pretty faithful to the original source material, a lot more than the 2002 hollywood film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom