• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People Who Walk/Exist In Public While Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I've actually seen more vape stores than people who vape. That is, there are dozens of the stores around but I've not seen a single user.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
This is why stealth vaping is a thing. Get a small ass mod and nevermind the fruit loop clouds coming from my general direction.

Sakura

I work at a store and some lady was like, literally vaping at my register.
Most people though seem to know better and treat it like smoking from my experience.

xJavonta

Banned
Crack out em Fedoras boys. We vapin tonight
LMAO

Movie theaters I see the issue with because of visibility but otherwise I really don't...
Because you're putting shit in the air no one wants to smell? I don't want to walk down an aisle at Target and catch a big whiff of fruity shit because some asshole can't put away his vape pen while he's in a store.

Really, is it so hard to wait until you're outside to do it? If so, there's a problem that needs addressing.

I love the smell of fruit loops, or weed whenever I come across it in public. I didn't know that it was such a huge deal to some people. Whenever someone judges a smoker I can't help counter-judge them for having a stick up their asses. This is coming from a non-smoker.
A stick up their asses? Yeah, nevermind the health hazards smoking has and how even non-smokers have been affected by them. Totally unreasonable to hate cigarettes. 🙄

Rafy

As someone who vapes, I only do so in the areas I am allowed to smoke. I don't vape inside shops, hotel rooms etc...

However, if I am walking down that street I vape freely. I don't crank my mod to 100 Watts and start blowing clouds, mind you. I do feel like I should have the same freedom to vape in public, as smokers have to smoke in public.

I always try not to be rude by blowing steam in people's faces.

Gutek

at least it doesn't cause cancer.

and yeah other people can be annoying. it would be great if they would stop.

What the fuck is with the "it doesn't cause cancer" bros? There was a Japanese study years ago that confirmed it created carcinogens.

Kind of surprised so many have a problem with vaping. I don't do it myself and never have been bothered by it. Every scent I have encountered has been pleasant.

Same here. People fart and bring around bad smelling food all the time and everyone hates the candy smelling vapors!?

SpacLock

Here's the way I look at it:

It doesn't bother me. If I'm going to go out in public, I'm going to end up smelling a bunch of shit I don't want to. Whether it's someone's B.O., some dank kush rolling off a stoner, or a puff from an actual cigarette, it's whatever. Doesn't fucking bother me.

If you're going to hit a public space, you have to deal with the public. Nothing you smell is going to significantly harm you. A little cigarette smoke or vape isn't going to do a thing.

You have bigger things to worry about.

Dunkley

I vape and see it the same as smoking.

Don't smoke into people's faces, don't vape into people's faces. If it happens I apologize, can't expect people to just respect my addiction problems.

With that said, not many people are bothered. Most do note that it smells better than cigarettes, but still I think it's rude because I was bothered by stuff like that prior to me starting to vape and I think you should treat others the way you want to be treated.

SigSig

No problem at all with people vaping in public. There are colognes which smell more irritating. As long as this means less cigarette smoke (which is legit disgusting, if you smoke cigarettes in public you are scum, my man), go ahead, blow that fruity shit into my face, I don't give a fuck.

Mendrox

Yeah, vaping is annoying. It should be obvious.

I quit smoking without vaping too, so I have no sympathy for people who fall back to that crutch to try to justify doing it around people. Buy some nicotine gum for situations where you're indoors and have a craving. Problem solved.

You are so cool that you were able to it like this. Everyone should be like you.

Vaping helped me stop smoking, but vaping is also not a problem in Germany. You don't see these supercharged things in the public (haven't seen one yet). I only see the normal ones that people use to vapor which is way better than stinky cigarettes.

dpunk3

May speak for myself here, but since I have asthma, cigarette smoke is extremely harmful to me, I can barely breathe when I am near it and I tend to hold my breath when I start to smell it to avoid coughing fits. Ecigs don't give me that same problem, and while most smells are terrible some smell rather pleasant and considering my sense of smell is completely shot 90% of the time anyway I couldn't care less. At that point it doesn't affect me so why would I care what someone else does. I get more annoyed when I'm near someone eating a bag of Doritos Nacho Cheese, that shit smells so bad and so strong I can smell it from the other end of the room.

Raiden

Banned
I feel like every time I see someone doing this in public, the same thing happens. I look at the ridiculous thing in their hand, I look them in the face, they look away in shame, and then I reflexively make a some sort of half eye roll combined with a stifled smirk.

I swear the majority of people who use these things have already judged themselves.

Yes they should go back to regular smoking because you think its ridiculous. You do realise that most people dont want to vape right? Its basically the same as nicotine patches. Do you eyeroll people in rehab as well?

Airola

When I see smoke coming from someone and I see the person is vaping instead of smoking a cigarette I feel extremely relieved every time.

I have no issue with people vaping on the streets. It's infinitely less annoying and cough-inducing than having to smell and get cigarette smoke in my lungs.

Vaping looks stupid and there is a large subset of people within the 'vape culture' that make it insufferable. I say this as someone who vapes, I'm genuinely too embarrassed to do it anywhere in public. I started recently as a means to quit smoking and everything about the whole experience and culture surrounding it is so cringey.

120v

aside from a few overzealous vape store clerks i've never witnessed this supposedly obnoxious "vape culture"

i mean, Vape Naysh was funny and all but

Z..

Because you're putting shit in the air no one wants to smell? I don't want to walk down an aisle at Target and catch a big whiff of fruity shit because some asshole can't put away his vape pen while he's in a store.

Really, is it so hard to wait until you're outside to do it? If so, there's a problem that needs addressing.

I don't vape but gotta love the assumption. No one wants to smell? Vape smoke more often than not has quite a pleasant aroma and I for one enjoy it and have yet to meet a single person who has expressed any dislike at all towards it... you're getting bothered by it for the sake of being bothered by it, it's silly and entitled. It's not hurting you in any way whatsoever, why are you letting something irrelevant and inconsequential bother you so much?

slit

What the fuck is with the "it doesn't cause cancer" bros? There was a Japanese study years ago that confirmed it created carcinogens.

Link the study, because if it's the one I'm thinking of then the results were that the potential carcinogen was minuscule compared to cigarettes and had to be vaped at a very high wattage.

Saw this girl walking beside me few minutes ago.
She was cute and as I was admiring her looks suddenly I see some huge white clouds coming out of her. Ewww insta-turnoff.

shandy706

If it's a situation where you wouldn't smoke, you shouldn't vape. It's that simple.

Why is it the public's responsibility to enforce common courtesy?

Agree with these.

My friends and I tend to laugh at people that do it (not in front of them), as we think it looks ridiculous.

Saw this girl walking beside me few minutes ago.
She was cute and as I was admiring her looks suddenly I see some huge white clouds coming out of her. Ewww insta-turnoff.

Well this is me with any form of smoking. I find it unattractive instantly.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
aside from a few overzealous vape store clerks i've never witnessed this supposedly obnoxious "vape culture"

i mean, Vape Naysh was funny and all but

Vape culture is like an amalgamation of the worst parts of the nu-metal, hip hop, and stoner subcultures

Peltz

My Securities Law professor used to vape as he taught. He used to say "Do you mind if I fake smoke?" then start puffing as he lectured. 0_o

Link the study, because if it's the one I'm thinking of then the results were that the potential carcinogen was minuscule compared to cigarettes and had to be vaped at a very high wattage.

Yep- and if it's the one I'm thinking of, the only juices found to be problematic in the study were a few cheap Chinese ones.

As for the topic at hand- I vape, but can't stand people who do it in public everywhere they go. I'll vape in my car, or if I'm at a bar where people are smoking, but that's about it for anyone seeing me do it in public. To me it's just a common courtesy thing.

slit

Agree with these.

My friends and I tend to laugh at people that do it (not in front of them), as we think it looks ridiculous.

Why do people keep bringing this up? Who cares what you think looks ridiculous? This is about courtesy. Do people not look ridiculous when smoking a cigarette then?

Lupercal

Banned
Crying about a little vapesmoke when there's literally hundreds to thousands of cars daily puffing smoke in your face.

Pinkuss

What confuses me the most is the vape nights; they all sit in a store and vape. I have a friend who works in one and they just sit there vaping and discussing vapes (It's nicer tasting probably healthier smoking surely; that's good and all but nights). No booze allowed too...

Also I do find it annoying when someone blows a massive cloud of the stuff in the street, can you just you know aim it away from people..

I don't think I've been convinced that baling is actually healthy, but that's whatever.

I hate, despise people who think that they can vape literally anywhere they feel like it. That episode of Girls where Marnie is vaping inside the baby doctor waiting room? What the fuck?

shandy706

Why do people keep bringing this up? Who cares what you think looks ridiculous? This is about courtesy. Do people not look ridiculous when smoking a cigarette then?

I think it's more the ones that release an incoming storm front into the air vs a small amount of vapor/smoke. I don't even blink if there's just a small waft of smoke/vapor.

ColdPizza

Banned
Vapers ruined a good thing for themselves and others by being edgy about it. Cloud chasing? Ridiculous mods to blow bigger clouds?

While I can't possibly deny the public health benefit in harm reduction from smoking, these type of vapers have gained a lot of unwanted attention for the industry.

I'm not a vape lord or a smoker but I just wanna say if you are seriously bothered by fruity smells you are a very soft person.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I don't get the need to blow huge clouds,be discreet and people won't bother you. When I used an ecigarette waybackwhen I made it a point to draw as little attention to myself as possible so I could continue vaping indoors without anyone making a fuss.

Even though I don't vape anymore I fully support the community and wish people would embrace it more. Would rather have millions of vapers than smokers.

Also anyone who can't handle some fruity or minty scents briefly wafting by is ridiculous. Do you throw tantrums when people wearing cologne or perfume walk by too? Talk about sheltered and entitled.

TAD

It was really jarring to suddenly start seeing clouds of smoke indoors again starting a couple years ago. I don't care for it.
Yeah I really appreciated the douche that did it in front of me for nearly a whole gig, really added to the show having my own personal smoke machine.

Saying that though, when I'm walking around and see a cloud of smoke come towards me and expect that horrible cigarette smell only to get almost no smell at all it does make me breathe a sigh of relief.

Eh, if they're vaping outdoors then there's no real problem. If someone in front of you is vaping then stop walking behind them. Personally I'd rather walk behind someone vaping than someone smoking real cigarettes, smells a hundred times better.

Now, indoors and on public transport is a different thing altogether and they shouldn't be doing it.

Style

Banned
A couple of years ago when vaping was first introduced in my country, one of my classmates started vaping inside the classroom during class. It took a while for people to notice, but once the teacher noticed, she got chewed out. She tried excusing it by claiming it was just steam, and no different than bringing a steaming cup of tea in to the room. The teacher was furious. Lol.

It just comes down to not being a dick. I'm a vaper, but I mostly only do it in my own home, or in designated smoking areas. Even if I'm in a pub that turns a blind eye to vaping I won't do it, it's just obnoxious filling a room with my vapour when there's plenty of people in it that don't do it. Plus I'd rather not associate myself with "vape culture" (though I think making anyone feel embarrassed for choosing to vape rather than smoke is more gross than dumb cloud bros).

Man, if you're mad that I'm vaping outside, go somewhere else.

I don't do it in front of entrances or anything but if there's an ash tray or a dedicated smoking area, that's where I go and vape. Sorry if people do it in your face but it's hard to imagine someone coming up to you and blowing it in your face.

Vaping weed is a thing? I know what I'm doing during my trip to Washington state later this year.
Meh don't get too hyped. Vaping weed doesn't get you nearly as high in my experience.

On topic, so many delicate people in here. Sorry if you complain about fruity smells you're kind of a baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom