• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Ubisoft is a *insert random word here*

moai

But what about parité.
This puts into perspective that thread when ubisoft pr talked about that.

Kuldar

Looks like this version of AnvilNext doesn't perform well on current gen. It's strange for an iteration of the engine made for this gen only.

Ubisoft will never pry my wallet open again. So much incompetence mixed with arrogant PR and dull identikit gaming experiences means my precious gaming time will be spent elsewhere.

Skyzard

Banned
What happened to this?

_1413434492.jpg

Seems Ubi is even doing BS GDC presentations.

PS4 cpu is worse than PS3?

Raist

Banned
Some other "fun with ACU cutscenes" moments.

Perspective, how does it work?

acv-21msbq.jpg

Pssssst, hey, XB1 lighting, that window isn't wide open.

acv-3s1skm.jpg

This makes me sad, it really does. This whole day has been a let down. I love this series and don't want to see it fail. I want to see them do well and create great games. Problem being is that I don't think Ubi is capable anymore.

I won't be playing this game for a while so hopefully by then things are patched up a bit.

LordOfChaos

A 9% clock speed increase on all 6 cores could easily explain the difference on a CPU bound game.

Was this facetious, or...
You realize "on each core" is irrelevant to the performance gain. 9% clock increase on 6 usable cores, vs a competitor with the same amount of cores, is still a 9% increase. More cores doesn't make a clock increase relatively bigger when compared to the same number of cores.

Honestly let's see that come out before making snap judgements.
TLOU is a last-gen game and its 60 fps option is not without tradeoffs.

End of gen games that maximize the consoles performance are hard to port to even a more powerful with different architecture next gen console. They had the same issue when porting some PS2 games to PS3.

Nothing to do with NDs talent.

The Lamp

Let me get this straight.

This game hovers close to 20fps on both consoles, it runs better on Xbox One, and Ubisoft designed the game the way they did to "avoid debates"? Ironic.

This combined with the absurd microtransaction currency and locking/removing basic Assassin's skills from games past means I probably won't be picking this up.

Shame on you, Ubisoft. Shame.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Yeah but this overclocked cpu can't handle an advantage of 5 fps. It's not that faster.

Clearly, a 9% increase accumulate across 6 active game cpu cores is.

I wonder if the crowd A.I is fixed across a few cpu cores or are scheduled across all the available cpu cores as they become available.

darkwing

Let me get this straight.

This game hovers close to 20fps on both consoles, it runs better on Xbox One, and Ubisoft designed the game the way they did to "avoid debates"? Ironic.

This combined with the absurd microtransaction currency and locking/removing basic Assassin's skills from games past means I probably won't be picking this up.

Shame on you, Ubisoft. Shame.

It's an AC game, it will still sell millions

pastrami

This game seems like a mess on all platforms. Horrible job by Ubisoft, especially considering that this is their flagship franchise.

Pop

I blame the people who keep buying Ubi games. They know they half ass these games now and still sell millions.

LordOfChaos

PS4 cpu is worse than PS3?

Gonna quote myself here

The PS3 CPU MIGHT have been a tad faster - if you perfected micro-managing the teeny tiny local memory in each SPE, if you never had to thrash the main memory because the local memories were so small, if you took advantage of the very specific type of work the SPEs excelled at (which GPUs are far better at now anyways). If you had in-order operation in mind for all the code you wrote, anything branchy could choke it. One wee mistake, and your performance fell off a cliff.

So while they may seem close, or a regression, in benchmarks showing their full potential, the Jaguar is much, much easier to actually use the power of. A lot more tolorant of mistakes.

Some other "fun with ACU cutscenes" moments.

Perspective, how does it work?

acv-21msbq.jpg

Pssssst, hey, XB1 lighting, that window isn't wide open.

acv-3s1skm.jpg

Why should I care about The framerate in cutscenes? Movies Are in 24 fps and nobody cares.

FPS in gameplay is way more important than in cutscenes.

Skyzard

Banned
It's an AC game, it will still sell millions

Exactly, it's AC.

We knew FPS would be shit at times.
Buggy.
Boring gameplay for the most part.

but...
Can't get decent framerates with monster rigs if you enable settings most other games use?
Sign up to a service to open the chest you just found though? Sign up to another one? Pay some more to unlock it? Pay some more again?

Okay, it's a nice looking game at times and the theme is neat but no one deserves this shite performance and butchering of basic gameplay reward mechanics.

I expected worse meltdowns in this thread.

Anyway - As a fan of the AC series, I'm disappointed like most of you. This game seems to have so many issues, with some of them being fairly odd.

- KJ

Damaniel

Banned
So this game is a technical failure (in addition to a core gameplay failure and a 'microtransactions in full priced games' failure)? Big surprise. It's essentially 'game design by committee' taken to a very extreme conclusion. Things like parity between platforms are minor annoyances, especially if the game itself is fun, but it really sounds like Ubisoft is really struggling to get even that part right.

The fact that it took a 1000+ member team at Ubisoft's various worldwide studios to release this is just more proof that too many cooks can spoil the broth.

Sorry, people.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Oh Ubishit, you never fail to impress. Horrible performance on both consoles and PC. Hopefully it bombs.
It won't. :(

Top Bottom