• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

Metaroo

... if I'm following this correctly ... that shouldn't exactly be the case right? Doesn't the PS4 just have more raw processing power?

Xando

They should test the mission after the prison
when you become a assassin
pretty sure it went into single digits in the church.

What do all 4 billion Ubisoft employee's do? is there just one programmer working on the game while everyone else is marketing or something?

This is the final twist of the knife, really. There is absolutely no reason to think that the PS4 version is at 900p because of anything other than MS's involvement.

This games development seems to have been a complete mess, but I don't think there's any way, at least not yet, to definitively say that this is because of some direct involvement from Microsoft.

mjc

This is the final twist of the knife, really. There is absolutely no reason to think that the PS4 version is at 900p because of anything other than MS's involvement.

You know, I'm willing to be that isn't the reason. Look at the rest of the game's technical issues and I'm thinking you'll agree that Ubi just shit the bed themselves.

with ubisofts help Xbox is picking itself up off the mat?

good hell what is going on at ubisoft? First the parity comments and now this?

wow.

JayEH

Wow, the frame rate only hits 30 when you're on a roof or indoors it seems. It's consistently in the low 20s when in that amazing Ubisoft patented 10,000 NPC crowd.

liquidtmd

Banned
NPCs present in the game world, which can go into the low hundreds under specific conditions. It's an ambitious vision - but it comes at the expense of raw performance.

Its insane is what it is.

'Look! Hundreds of identikit figures! The frame rate may goto shit but hundreds of em!'

V_Ben

Banned
Well, this is going to be interesting. I think every platform could have used another 6 months more polish, really.

Alchemy

1000 monkeys at keyboards trying to make a video game. Something is really screwy, there are a couple of places it looks like the PS4 holds 30 while the XO dips a little but once the game moves out doors with crowds the PS4 suffers more. Only thing I can imagine is the game is maxing out all elements of the XO, benefiting from a slight CPU overclock, and just sitting on extra GPU resources on the PS4. So when the PS4 is just sitting there rendering, it does so slightly better then the XO.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
acuperformanceukotc.png

daveo42

Banned
Not to spin up conspiracy theory, but I imagine co-marketing meant MS was more hands-on with the XB1 version...

...also, isn't the XB1 cpu a smidge faster (seems this game is very CPU-intensive)?

We were never told the final speed of the PS4 CPU, so it is possible but highly illogical that Ubi wouldn't use GPGPU to make up the difference needed. It does beg the question as to how hard they actually tried to push the new systems.

The Llama

The CPU clock speed is roughly 10% higher on XB1 I thought.

IIRC the rumors are XB1 is 1.75Ghz, PS4 is 1.6GHz BUT there was a dev on here who said you could get more out of the PS4 CPU. That was pre the "10% no Kinect boost" (or whatever it ended up being), so its possible the XB1 has more CPU power.

Gryph

I'm looking forward to the tell all book about this console competition.

Sort of a Smartest Guys in the Room for Gaf...

-griffy-

Banned
I am intensely curious to see how Far Cry 4 turns out due to...differing circumstances surround that release compared to this one.

TheYanger

Wait, you mean all along when people were saying the CPU was going to be the deciding factor for this type of game, they weren't just lying because of moneyhats? :p

majik13

what happened to Parity ubi? Now we have the XOne performing better, wtf?

how hard would it be to just pull back or reduced the amount of NPs to get performance back?

... if I'm following this correctly ... that shouldn't exactly be the case right? Doesn't the PS4 just have more raw processing power?

PS4 is more powerful, but it's entirely possible they lead developed on the X1 then did a quick and dirty port to PS4 without optimizing it at all.

GeoramA

How is that even possible? Sounds like they just ported it to PS4 and didn't bother tweaking it or anything. What a fucking joke.

Top Bottom