• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yeah but memory on ps4 should be able to help a lot in such situations.

Nope; if they are processing & running 10k AIs; the CPU is almost certainly the limiting factor.

That said, I'm pretty sure this is just massive performance failures all around; it's like they lost revision control and sent the wrong version of the game to go Gold. That or they have one hell of a patch coming up.

I don't understand where there needs to be like 5000 dudes on screen, given the enormous blows to performance. At some point, probably a much lower number, it just becomes "a lot" to the player, and it gets across what Ubisoft was trying to portray.

Minions

If there is that large of a difference 5fps (17%~) it makes it sound like the game was half baked, at least towards the PS4 version. No wonder they kept saying parity.... not even close. One can only hope they optimize post release... as it is that is pretty sad.

JayEH

acuperformanceukotc.png

It got sub 20 on PS4 for a couple of seconds a little bit later.

Changed my order to Xbox, didn't think I would be doing that this gen.

Not like the Xbox version is doing much better...

Hasney

This is fucked up. It being faster on XB1 shows where the bottleneck is, but maybe they could have done a few less NPCs? I mean, maybe at least lock it to 30 instead of proceeding with some incompetent design? It's not like these CPUs are a surprise at this point.

These guys...

prwxv3

Anyone that tries to get a victory out of this for console wars should be ashamed of themselves.

Ubi should be ashamed for this awful performance.

SRTtoZ

PS4 is more powerful, but it's entirely possible they lead developed on the X1 then did a quick and dirty port to PS4 without optimizing it at all.

This would be more believable if they didnt come out and say they were aiming for parity for the sake of debates.

system11

It's frustrating that the game is still getting good review scores - it should be pummeled for serious playability issues like game breaking bugs and sub-30 frame rates. If there was any justice in the world the Metacritic rating would be in the 50s.

The Llama

This is fucked up. It being faster on XB1 shows where the bottleneck is, but maybe they could have done a few less NPCs? I mean, maybe at least lock it to 30 instead of proceeding with some incompetent design? It's not like these CPUs are a surprise at this point.

These guys...

They needed more NPC's for dat nextgen gameplay.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
So they have already used every ounce of consoles which is leading to 20FPS.

So they are pretty much done with this shit. WTF

kiguel182

Since the X1 has a better CPU and the game is CPU bottlenecked then it makes sense that the Xbox has an advantage.

Frame rates are still atrocious. If the consoles couldn't display that many NPCs then they should've cut some.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
How is that even possible? Sounds like they just ported it to PS4 and didn't bother tweaking it or anything. What a fucking joke.

I'm guessing they developed it on PC and just ported it directly to X1 & PS4; if they're testing the game out on beastly PCs - they may have ran out of time / not bothered checking how it fully worked on consoles. It looks like the Unity engine is ridiculously CPU intensive? Or at least the addition of all of those AIs would be.

LTWood12

I don't understand where there needs to be like 5000 dudes on screen, given the enormous blows to performance. At some point, probably a much lower number, it just becomes "a lot" to the player, and it gets across what Ubisoft was trying to portray.

Exactly. They have totally weighed down performance in favor of a fucking marketing bullet point. "Look at all the people on screen."

It's so beautiful. All those individually crafted models. The vivid detail. This is next-gen.

Wait!! There is a flag on the PS4 version. That is easily a 4 fps difference.

Also, someone quick. Count every individual character model. let's make sure there is numbers parity as well. I can't have three less frivolous models in my game.

just so we are clear, everyone else can get games to run better on PS4 but Ubisoft can't?

actually, Assassins Creed cant?

lawl.. fucking A

Top Bottom