• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Person of Interest – Season 3 |OT| The Numbers Keep Coming – Tuesdays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Any good interviews, especially video ones about season 3?

Nobility

Banned
I see your gaming thread NTGYK...

xWpANfz.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Got to try and remember to include something tying back into the game. Can't imagine an OT topic breaking out on the Gaming side being looked at nicely.

Nobility

Banned
I hope that Watch_Dogs is everything we hoped for and more.

Given Ubi's previous releases and their aggressive release schedule, there are definitely valid points on how the story line will touch social topics as those discussed in POI.

I hope this game is good. Please don't let me down Ubi.

I find it annoying how people criticize the writers of the show for allowing its story to evolve. Im surprised that a lot of people want the show to just be a police procedural.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I find it annoying how people criticize the writers of the show for allowing its story to evolve. Im surprised that a lot of people want the show to just be a police procedural.

It's likely those people are the ones that obsess over NCIS and CSI. Safe procedural fluff that doesn't require much thinking.
You know, old people.

tirminyl

It was sort of painful reading through that thread. I am typically not one to be gung-ho over tv show but I honestly think PoI is simply amazing and one of the best tv shows I've personally ever watched. So much in fact that I have rewatched seasons 1 & 2 before season 3 and plan to re-watch them all again before season 4. Outside of this and Arrested Development, I don't re-watch tv shows.

So as I read through the responses I couldn't fathom how people could speak ill of the show. They have now been identified as deviants and I hope that they change their ways soon. Or else I calculate that a swift and immediate action will be needed to eliminate this corruption.

Yeah, I think some people just like boring, I can miss 6 episodes and not need to catch up, tv shows.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
IGN gave season 3 a 9.4/10

Season 4 wait is gonna be unbearable.

Good grade! So question time:

How many people watched the finale?

Are there chances of the series getting big awards?

And this is more of an approximation by me, but we only have to wait like 3 months before getting any news about S4, right?

Nobility

Banned
Good grade! So question time:

How many people watched the finale?

Are there chances of the series getting big awards?

And this is more of an approximation by me, but we only have to wait like 3 months before getting any news about S4, right?
1. I can't find the TV By The Numbers Live+7 numbers.
2. Not likely, I think POI will be remembered as that fantastic show that if it gets nominated for an Emmy, it's a huge achievement considering the genre.
3. My spidey senses tells me we will get news at Comic Con, which falls between July 24-27 this year.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man Reese treats Fusco like garbage in season 1 lol

To be fair he did try to kill him...twice :p

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
1. I can't find the TV By The Numbers Live+7 numbers.
2. Not likely, I think POI will be remembered as that fantastic show that if it gets nominated for an Emmy, it's a huge achievement considering the genre.
3. My spidey senses tells me we will get news at Comic Con, which falls between July 24-27 this year.

Well at least one answer was a positive one!

Do you think we'll ever get another number of viewers again, Nobility?

Man Reese treats Fusco like garbage in season 1 lol

To be fair he did try to kill him...twice :p

Yeah, through those episodes, I was always "be friends already". Somebody post that friendship boom GIF.

Doorman

As far as the gaming-side thread goes, I think a lot of people are just conditioned at this point into thinking that pretty much any major network television show can't be very good, that the only quality television appears on comparatively niche cable channels or HBO and the like. And, to be fair, even as a self-described fan of the show I don't think that every move they've made was beyond reproach. It did start out as a crime procedural--a genre that a lot of folks are turned off by immediately--even if it did offer an interesting little hook. It's not until Elias is formally introduced that the first season really began to gain steam, and even seasons 2 and 3 have included some points that I wasn't hugely fond of. Carter's whole romance plot with Cal Beecher got on my nerves, even moreso when they turned it around and briefly threw Carter together with Reese. At that point I was actually glad they killed her off, and the second half of this season has been absolutely phenomenal in its wake.

It's a very good show, in spite of the "network crime drama" stigma, but I don't consider it beyond reproach.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Naturally. Something really bothered me about how they handled Carter's last minutes on the show. Her knowing about the Machine and a romance with Reese coming from nowhere were kinda frustrating.

It's kind of a shame that the writers thought that Reese wouldn't suffer as much if both of them had just been friends (which was all that was shown during the episodes). Would have been way better to show how much he cared for her, while not being in love of her. Would have been a great way of showing a glimpse of a Reese that might lose Finch down the line.

But it was only for 10 minutes, so it doesn't really bother me.

Here it is

i4sO8vpuKN5Ol.gif

Now that's a boom.

Rhaknar

The romance angle with Reese (that never was, it existed for 2 minutes with the kiss and as justification for his rage spree) was the only thing in the show so far that I flat out hated

It's kind of a shame that the writers thought that Reese wouldn't suffer as much if both of them had just been friends (which was all that was shown during the episodes). Would have been way better to show how much he cared for her, while not being in love of her.
I'm inclined to agree. They should have either kept the pair friends or have Carter grow as a love interest through the first few episodes. Just going "Oh they're on love. Oh she's dead" seemed a little shoehorned in.

The show functions as a Procedural better in some aspects than the X-Files did.

Nolan has mentioned The X-Files a few times in interviews as an inspiration for the show's formula. It may be a little too early to call (The X-Files had a strong run for about four seasons, I'd say), but I think Person of Interest might already be the better show. And I never thought I'd ever type out a sentence like that, as I've been a diehard X-Files junkie my whole life (I even love the movies).

I'm not expecting much from Watch_Dogs. Ubisoft kinda sucks.

Rhaknar

Zoe introduction in ep6 reminds me she has a stupid new show :(

surely she could still guest star ffs :/ Amy Acker was just on Agents of SHIELD recently and shes a regular in PoI

BokehKing

Banned
Finally caught up last. I got, what a great finale!

See a lot of you talking about getting new viewers, the problem is, whenever I tell people about it, they want to get into it but.... Not on Netflix, so people give up. I end up buying the seasons on blu ray / DVD combos and loaning out the dad's... 10 time slot is not helping..

Anyway, felt bad for
Peter collier... Dude got used something awful.. Trial only being viewed by one person across town

I'm waiting any moment for the root/Shaw make out scene

But with the story being so vast, do you think we will ever see
Elias and Scarface again? I don't know if you guys listen to podcasts, but there is one called podcasts of interest, they draw a lot of Batman comparisons but they have had the guy who plays Scarface on there several times, even Fusco...

Oh hell.... FUSCO didn't get a new identity

Lonestar

my guess for
Elias and his mob: At some point, in the war against Samaritan, Team Machine will need footsoldiers, which is something Elias has.

If Elias isn't taken out as a crime organization by Samaritan first.

BokehKing

Banned
my guess for
Elias and his mob: At some point, in the war against Samaritan, Team Machine will need footsoldiers, which is something Elias has.

If Elias isn't taken out as a crime organization by Samaritan first.

I wonder if they will deal with Samaritan by the mid season point though, and maybe possibly second half deal with Elias empire growing in numbers

As long as bear survives I'm ok

ZenaxPure

I wonder if they will deal with Samaritan by the mid season point though, and maybe possibly second half deal with Elias empire growing in numbers

As long as bear survives I'm ok

This got me thinking, the entire season the characters have just been saying that if Samaritan comes online then we are going to get a war of 2 gods (Samaritan vs. The Machine, obviously). Root said it, Greer said it, maybe someone else I don't really recall.

So basically... is that actually what season 4 is going to be about? If it is I am curious how they will set it all up. As it stands there doesn't seem to be much of a reason the two have to "fight" each other. They both appear to have access to the government feeds, so it just comes down to how they feel about each other. I think it'd be more interesting if the two formed some sort of weird AI relationship.

Doorman

This got me thinking, the entire season the characters have just been saying that if Samaritan comes online then we are going to get a war of 2 gods (Samaritan vs. The Machine, obviously). Root said it, Greer said it, maybe someone else I don't really recall.

So basically... is that actually what season 4 is going to be about? If it is I am curious how they will set it all up. As it stands there doesn't seem to be much of a reason the two have to "fight" each other. They both appear to have access to the government feeds, so it just comes down to how they feel about each other. I think it'd be more interesting if the two formed some sort of weird AI relationship.

The key difference to this is that while both systems have access to the government feeds, only one is in a position to really do much with them. Decima has a massive network of operatives and the ability to seek specific targets if desired regardless of their supposed relevance (i.e. Harold and company). The Machine is still a closed system, only capable of phoning in numbers with the exception of talking to Root, and right now has all of seven people at their disposal, who can only do so much without being immediately located and eliminated. It's hard to fight much of a war when one side has remote-targetted bombs and missiles and the other side has a few machine guns.

The most curious thing for me, now, will be how the Machine delegates its own purpose from here on out. It isn't supplying relevant numbers to the government anymore, and it can't easily send Root to handle security threats either (plus, Samaritan is already going to be doing that). So...what will the Machine actually DO from here on out? Now that it can't perform what it's supposed to be doing, how else will it prioritize? We saw a glimpse of this with directing Root to find the other programmers and build the Irrelevant Seven's servers for survival purposes, but what beyond that?

Rhaknar

I forgot the Elias reveal episode was so early!

Fitch: "you should watch you callory intake detective"
Fusco: "what are we, dating?"

Lol

Rokam

Miami Showdown came on Pandora... just a reminder that those 3 episodes this season were some of the best television I've watched. Think it's time to start a rewatch here soon.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if these are official numbers but TV by the numbers has that Deus Ex Machina had an audience of 10,95 million people.

According to them:

The most watched episode of the season was Reasonable Doubt (the 4th episode, where Reese leaves the couple to kill each other) with 12,69 million people.

The most watched episode of the series was 2πR (I think that's where Finch helps a student who's a genius while John is in jail) with 16,23 million people. There are only a handful of episodes that have reached 15 or more, and all of them are before season 3 :/

But aside from that: Is TV By the Numbers even reliable? I know some of you guys posted their numbers before, but I can't remember if anyone said they were unreliable.

Anyway, hopefully Season 4 opens with a big influx of more viewers and doesn't reach below the 10 million mark.

Chariot

tvbythenumbers take Nielsen rating numbers and I think their pretty reliable. The random delays and breaks are kilking the show.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the production team actually asks for more time because of post-production or if CBS is really trying to kill the show.

I know we're not anywhere near to them killing the series, but those viewers are slowly decreasing. Hell I think they no longer transmit the show in my country. Actually nevermind, I just checked Warner Channel Colombia and they don't even acknowledge the third season.

Chariot

I wonder if the production team actually asks for more time because of post-production or if CBS is really trying to kill the show.

I know we're not anywhere near to them killing the series, but those viewers are slowly decreasing. Hell I think they no longer transmit the show in my country. Actually nevermind, I just checked Warner Channel Colombia and they don't even acknowledge the third season.
Mabe they're onto something. Maybe the NSA is pressuring because POI leaked stuff even before Snowden did.
/tinfoilhat

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Not really, they had an increase of more than 400K viewers from the episode before. The thing is viewers throughout the series peaked at S2, which worries me for seasons beyond 4.

Lonestar

If you look into how many network programs are hitting above 10 million viewers, it's not that bad.

Also, how many 10 pm programs are above 10 million viewers as well.

Overall, TV Ratings and viewers are a fraction of what they used to be, even from 5-7 years ago.

Note that the year before, the show was on at 8 pm. Ratings are almost always highest at the 8 pm hour, and go down as the night goes on.

Clevinger

Not sure if these are official numbers but TV by the numbers has that Deus Ex Machina had an audience of 10,95 million people.

According to them:

The most watched episode of the season was Reasonable Doubt (the 4th episode, where Reese leaves the couple to kill each other) with 12,69 million people.

The most watched episode of the series was 2πR (I think that's where Finch helps a student who's a genius while John is in jail) with 16,23 million people. There are only a handful of episodes that have reached 15 or more, and all of them are before season 3 :/

How many viewers the show has doesn't matter. What networks care about are the demo numbers. And for now the demo is fine. IIRC, it's usually either the best or a close second in that time slot.

But aside from that: Is TV By the Numbers even reliable? I know some of you guys posted their numbers before, but I can't remember if anyone said they were unreliable.

The ratings numbers they provide (that you can get elsewhere) are accurate. Their predictions aren't all that accurate.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, yes, those are very good points, Clev and Lonestar. I would definitely prefer if they moved the series back to the 9PM timeslot that had before.

BTW, what do you mean when you say demo numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom