• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

you guys are making me wanna personafy my stick

One more for good measure.

sfiv_mockup_template2vxdl8.png

Yuripaw

Banned
I convinced 2 of my friends to buy this game even though they know nothing about persona.

the chances of me quitting this game due to me sucking have been lowered.

Do you suck at fighting games too? Cuz I need more friends like that. I used to like playing fighting games, but I really got to the point where I was just done because I can never compete with these kind of games. I play them for fun, and just wish I had people to play with who were on the same level.

What system are you getting it on?

Zabuza

Banned
Thought I'd say this game looks great and I plan on picking it up. I like Persona and fighting games so this is the game for me.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You guys should add me on psn if you havent. I'm really bad at these types of fighters and I want to learn to be good with everyone else! I WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE!

So I can make you all feel despair and hate yourself and wonder why you even bother playing this game

Yay :D

LProtag

Do you suck at fighting games too? Cuz I need more friends like that. I used to like playing fighting games, but I really got to the point where I was just done because I can never compete with these kind of games. I play them for fun, and just wish I had people to play with who were on the same level.

I'm ass at fighting games. I've done some execution practice so I can (or at least I could for a little while) reliably do special moves, and could hit a few very very basic combos. Nothing at all special and pretty much no skill, just a little bit of execution.

The fact that I was just slightly better than my friends (who would resort to mashing at times) led them to all dub me too good to play against, which lowered their interest in playing. That kinda sucks.

My roommate however is a big Persona fan, and I've been explaining to him and a few others about the beginner friendly system: the autocombo, four buttons, and only quarter circle inputs.

Hopefully they'll play me. It really sucks when you know you're completely terrible, but you've just spent some time learning the extreme basics and everyone around you thinks you're too good to play, haha.

Esura

Banned
You guys should add me on psn if you havent. I'm really bad at these types of fighters and I want to learn to be good with everyone else! I WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH EVERYONE!

So I can make you all feel despair and hate yourself and wonder why you even bother playing this game

Eh, I don't mind losing.

PSN - Esura
Mains - Chie / Aigis / Mitsuru

What's yours?

Yuripaw

Banned
I'm ass at fighting games. I've done some execution practice so I can (or at least I could for a little while) reliably do special moves, and could hit a few very very basic combos. Nothing at all special and pretty much no skill, just a little bit of execution.

The fact that I was just slightly better than my friends (who would resort to mashing at times) led them to all dub me too good to play against, which lowered their interest in playing. That kinda sucks.

My roommate however is a big Persona fan, and I've been explaining to him and a few others about the beginner friendly system: the autocombo, four buttons, and only quarter circle inputs.

Hopefully they'll play me. It really sucks when you know you're completely terrible, but you've just spent some time learning the extreme basics and everyone around you thinks you're too good to play, haha.

Lol, I'm the exact same way. Years ago when I did use to play Dreamcast fighting games with groups of people, I was always the one they dreaded getting to in the rotation, because I actually knew how to do the moves. It wasn't that I was good at it, I was just a little more aware of fighting game mechanics then the rest of them.

I pretty much have zero chance in convincing anyone I know to buy this game. No one I know plays these kind of games. They usually stick with single player games, or online shooters.

When fighting games started to go online, and I tried playing against random people, I was just getting butchered every time, and I wasn't learning anything from that. I'm not good at having a strategy, I usually just play by feel. I don't know how to watch out for certain moves. I'm horrible at predicting what my opponent is gonna do, because I don't have the time to devote to one game to know what every character is gonna do.

What system are you getting it on?

Yeah I really like playing fighting games too but I can't never get to the point where I can hold my on ranked.

I'm getting the 360 version.

Yuripaw

Banned
Yeah I really like playing fighting games too but I can't never get to the point where I can hold my on ranked.

I'm getting the 360 version.

Hm, darn. Getting the PS3 version here. If I had the money, I might've gotten both versions because I'm such a crazy Persona 4 fan, but I can't just yet.

Got an idea for some artwork

The P4 loading screen!

The cards in the corner might be a problem though. Not sure if a high res version of the cards exists or how to clean it up with PS

If anyone has any ideas let me know

Tizoc

To be very minimalist, it plays as a combination of GG/BB with Marvel mechanics and of course other fighters. Truthfully I haven't spent as much time as I should have with the game but that's definitely how I feel, especially with the way Launchers are done.
Well GG was inspired by Darkstalkers...which shared some concepts with X-Men CotA which introduced the whole air & chain combo and OTG stuff. Furthermore, X-Men was released before Darkstalkers.
...but I can see your point somewhat. I personally see it as taking MvC2 as the base and tweaking/balancing it out with subsystems from other fights.

Seems like Elizabeth is top tier. All the Elizabeth's I see are doing large combo's for tons of damage while I'm not seeing the same from other characters.

Eliz is def not top tier. She does do lots of dmg if you make mistakes though.

edit

this is the 5/1 arcadia tier list I believe

S: Aigis, Mitsuru Kirijo
A: Teddie, Akihiko Sanada, Yu Narukami, Yosuke Hanamura, Chie Satonaka
B: Shadow Labrys, Labrys, Yukiko, Kanji, Naoto, Elizabeth

kiryogi

Banned

So modest. :p fucking Q. XD

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Can any of you photoshop gurus do up a stick design using these images? PM me if you need the original sizes, didnt want to post them here as would make the screen massive.
*Disclaimer I didnt make any of these, they came from pixiv.
s393W.jpg

y0s4U.jpg

*Its too bad this one is a vertical art, since will be hard to figure out how to get it to work with the horizontal controller design, but this art is just too damned cool to pass up.

xero273

uh but this is different! no more makoto or mu-12 for you!

/keeps on blocking

Shito

! Do you own a JPN PS3?
I'd like to know that as well.
I've read here and there that the asian and japanese versions worked on either asian or japanese PS3, but I'd love some kind of confirmation before making a potential mistake. :)

I LOVED Persona 4, but have yet to play Persona 3. I also really like fighters, but I am terrible at them haha. I would really like to get in to this, but if I do will it spoil the plot of Persona 3 at all?

Volcynika

I've played Q, he's so easy to beat, take him up on that offer! Want easy wins? Friend him!

In bizzaro world.

Hex

Banned
Yeah, that's the one I was looking at. I don't know what version of the game I want to get yet, though.

There are some (though as of yet still not set in stone) rumors of the netcode on the 360 version being shit with the asian release.
Not sure if that will carry over or not.

There are some (though as of yet still not set in stone) rumors of the netcode on the 360 version being shit with the asian release.
Not sure if that will carry over or not.

It's a confirmed issue, but you would imagine they will be able to patch it at some stage.

vg260

So what are the chances this game gets a new iteration in a short while? Being on the fence about this one (not familiar w/ Persona), I'm reluctant to jump in at $60 with the roster size and ASW's update history for BB and GG.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
It's a confirmed issue, but you would imagine they will be able to patch it at some stage.

Yeah they can probably patch it. If not then lol.

I hope they can patch it quickly enough to be available when the game comes out here, because I'm sick and goddamn tired of buying fighters early only for shit to be massively fucked up day 1.

Hex

Banned
So what are the chances this game gets a new iteration in a short while? Being on the fence about this one (not familiar w/ Persona), I'm reluctant to jump in at $60 with the roster size and ASW's update history for BB and GG.

Nah, they are not the type to pull a Capcom.

Top Bottom