• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

Finalow

game just arrived, I'm in.
Finalow - PS3 - Jack999888

played for a couple of hours the story mode, liking it so far.
I didn't quite get how instant kill moves work. I mean -
- save 100 sp
- ez win (if you're already 1 - 0 on a BO2 match, should work every time if it's BO1.)
I just did the tutorial so I'm probably missing something, or maybe it's really hard to save that much, or something.

FluxWaveZ

game just arrived, I'm in.
Finalow - PS3 - Jack999888

played for a couple of hours the story mode, liking it so far.
I didn't quite get how instant kill moves work. I mean -
- save 100 sp
- ez win (if you're already 1 - 0 on a BO2 match, should work every time if it's BO1.)
I just did the tutorial so I'm probably missing something, or maybe it's really hard to save that much, or something.

Every Insta Kill in the game is useless except for Shadow Labrys' once one learns their gimmick.

Every Insta Kill in the game is useless except for Shadow Labrys' once one learns their gimmick.

Mitsuru's is viable in some situations. Narukami's is viable against very specific things. Yosuke's is viable against Teddie's Circus Bear. Liz's would be viable if not for most characters being able to reversal the catch after the IK is triggered.

FluxWaveZ

Mitsuru's is viable in some situations. Narukami's is viable against very specific things. Yosuke's is viable against Teddie's Circus Bear. Liz's would be viable if not for most characters being able to reversal the catch after the IK is triggered.

I mean, they all have specific set-ups in which one can use them. Even Naoto's can land successfully if one is able to get the opponent in the corner and surround them with a bunch of traps before initiating it. It's just that those instances are very rare and risky, while S. Lab's is the only one that can be combo'd into with only 100 meter and a Burst.

Hi folks! It's kind of last minute, but I wanted to at least post this to see if we could get any last minute entries or anymore viewers that might be interested in P4A.

Reach Out To The Truth #1: P4A PSN Tourney (January 5, 2014 @ 2pm EST)

We have around 48 registered participants at the moment, so be sure to at least check out the stream if you're interested. I'm probably going to make a last minute thread for this, one which I'll update for all future PSN tournaments and events that are hosted by Mastatoken and others I know.

FluxWaveZ

Seeing the amount of people participating this time and taking into account how the previous online tourneys organized by MastaToken went, it'll be a miracle if this doesn't end up imploding.

vg260

This is on sale again on PSN. I finally watched the playthroughs of P3&4 to understand the story, and now I'm interested in learning this more. I just can't shake the feeling this could be a US plus game soon, however, with the sequel coming out in Japan in the summer. Anyone else think the same?

Piccoro

Hello, GAF.

I'm picking up this game later today.
I'm a big fan of fighting games. Will I appreciate this game even if I haven't played a single Persona game in my life? Is the story important in this one?

vg260

Hello, GAF.

I'm picking up this game later today.
I'm a big fan of fighting games. Will I appreciate this game even if I haven't played a single Persona game in my life? Is the story important in this one?

You'll appreciate it more if you're familiar w/ the story and characters, imo. I wasn't initially, and I just watched some P3 & P4 playthroughs on YouTube, and now I find it way more interesting now knowing the characters.

Piccoro

You'll appreciate it more if you're familiar w/ the story and characters, imo. I wasn't initially, and I just watched some P3 & P4 playthroughs on YouTube, and now I find it way more interesting now knowing the characters.

Ok, thank you!
But I really don't like to watch playthroughs, I prefer to play the games myself. So I will try to find Persona 3 & 4 and finish them. ;)

hao chi

Finally decided to learn some new stuff for Yukiko since I only know a few useful combos for her, and was wondering if anybody has some suggestions for practical starters and finishers to this combo:

... 236{A+B}, }A{, 66 5C 236{C}~}B{~}C{, 66 ...

FluxWaveZ

Finally did it.

uDpa2Zd.jpg

Now I'm ready for Ultimax, heh.

LowParry

So how's online holding up with this game for the PS3? Been thinking about picking it up since I've been enjoying the hell out of Golden.

hao chi

So how's online holding up with this game for the PS3? Been thinking about picking it up since I've been enjoying the hell out of Golden.

You can probably still find ranked matches at peak times of the day. A few months ago I decided to finally play some ranked matches to get my C rank for the trophy, and I didn't have too much trouble finding matches. There were also some beginner lobbies open.

Either way, I'd suggest getting it and playing the story mode and getting some practice in before Ultimax releases.

LowParry

You can probably still find ranked matches at peak times of the day. A few months ago I decided to finally play some ranked matches to get my C rank for the trophy, and I didn't have too much trouble finding matches. There were also some beginner lobbies open.

Either way, I'd suggest getting it and playing the story mode and getting some practice in before Ultimax releases.

Good deal. I've seen it up on Amazon for $20. Too bad it wasn't part of the Golden Week sale going on.

hao chi

Good deal. I've seen it up on Amazon for $20. Too bad it wasn't part of the Golden Week sale going on.

What's really tragic is that you weren't interested about two months ago when P4A was on sale for $7 for PS+ members. Then a week or two later it was I believe $22 for the complete version that includes DLC. :p

Anyway, I'll join the crowd and say feel free to add me.

PSN: hao-chi

IronLich

I just got back into this game myself and started playing Labrys pretty well. If you wanna throw me an invite on PSN, it's PSN: RADRAD1985.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Liz's would be viable if not for most characters being able to reversal the catch after the IK is triggered.
Liz is worse than that. Even though it's a stage wide hitbox, it's only a single hitbox that doesn't last long and is blockable. So if Liz tries to use it to punish Yosuke's kunai throw, Yosuke would have already recovered and can just air block. Not recovered yet? Just burn a bit of meter to OMC and then block! You can also OMB to evade it. Know what also works? Simple slide dodging! It's not even hard.

Liz's IK is completely and utterly useless and if you EVER get hit by it it's because of pure ignorance or laziness.

FluxWaveZ

So if Liz tries to use it to punish Yosuke's kunai throw, Yosuke would have already recovered and can just air block. Not recovered yet? Just burn a bit of meter to OMC and then block! You can also OMB to evade it.

Yosuke doesn't recover from his kunai throw that fast unless it's the EX variation. He wouldn't be able to OMC it without 50 meter and I'm not sure that's a move that one can OMB, either.

Hey guys, I'm legit stuck. Can I get some advice?
I'm stuck on Kanji's no26 challenge, and I can't figure out the trick to getting the fourth hit[stand c] to land with any consistency.

Edit: For future reference, you wait until the last possible moment on the third strike, crouch b, to pull off this combo.

Mdesilva

What's really tragic is that you weren't interested about two months ago when P4A was on sale for $7 for PS+ members. Then a week or two later it was I believe $22 for the complete version that includes DLC. :p

Anyway, I'll join the crowd and say feel free to add me.

PSN: hao-chi
The complete version is $22 or $25 right now. Go get it!

also, PSN: Mdesilva

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yosuke doesn't recover from his kunai throw that fast unless it's the EX variation. He wouldn't be able to OMC it without 50 meter and I'm not sure that's a move that one can OMB, either.
It doesn't have to be that fast. The kunai have to travel from himself to Liz and that takes time.

FluxWaveZ

It doesn't have to be that fast. The kunai have to travel from himself to Liz and that takes time.

Yosuke would be mid-air, unable to do anything, when the kunai would hit Liz, and that's not even counting the 23 or 27 frames of recovery after he lands. Yosuke's j.236C/D is one of the few moves that is the most useful for Liz to use her counter against.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yosuke would be mid-air, unable to do anything, when the kunai would hit Liz, and that's not even counting the 23 or 27 frames of recovery after he lands. Yosuke's j.236C/D is one of the few moves that is the most useful for Liz to use her counter against.
And yet I've had IK attempts get blocked.

FluxWaveZ

Is this theory or experience?

It's fact. Along with experience, I guess, since I'm pretty familiar with how every character functions.

You can try it by going to training mode and just doing a j.236C/D with Yosuke. He can't perform any additional moves until he lands after he performs it, and then there's the landing recovery to take into account.

FluxWaveZ

And I'm painfully familiar with how lacking Liz's IK is. :p

I've performed her IK successfully several times (mainly on Yosuke's daggers), but, sure, it's one of the worst IKs in the game. It's just that countering Yosuke's j.236C/D is not an example of how poor it is.

Geneijin

Hopefully the lag isn't too bad between us Jose

Edit: Good games JoseOle5990. Sorry about leaving early. Getting bugged for dinner plans.

IronLich

I felt so damn sloppy fighting you, Jose. Lab just doesn't have much of a reliable answer to ranged combat. And I had to dust off my subpar Mitsuru just to stand a chance.

Really though, GGs.

I felt so damn sloppy fighting you, Jose. Lab just doesn't have much of a reliable answer to ranged combat. And I had to dust off my subpar Mitsuru just to stand a chance.

Really though, GGs.
I tried to dust of my Yukiko and it just did not work haha. Abort! Haven't played her in forever.

Thanks man it was fun! ^_^ We'll have to do this again sometime!

Top Bottom