• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Tamanon

Banned
I managed to Platinum the game and I'm now watching Persona 4: The Anime.
A few things I still don't get.

If Personas consider themselves shadows, then why do they then turn into Personas for the protagonists to use?
Wouldn't that mean that Igor sent the Personas?

It's all based on Jungian psychology.

Basically, shadows and personas are the same concept, just one is under control of the person. A shadow is the repressed issues that person has, whereas a persona is the realized image after a character has recognized that shadow is a part of them.

It's all based on Jungian psychology.

Basically, shadows and personas are the same concept, just one is under control of the person. A shadow is the repressed issues that person has, whereas a persona is the realized image after a character has recognized that shadow is a part of them.

Oh snap you guys are good.
Thanks

LX_Theo

Banned
How long is this game. I know play games "slowly", but wow. I'm over 70+ hours and the
supposed killer was caught. It's Halloween
and I wonder how much longer do I have before I can get to NG+

Varies widely.70 hours to there is definitely a slower pace to go. You'll probably finish around 100 hours at that rate.

Caladrius

So... if you could give a % chance that this will come to PS3.... what would you give it?

The chance is negligible.

The game would require a full port, unlike the emulated PS2 version that's already available on PSN. Since there's already one version of P4 on there it doesn't make much sense to spend the extra cash to port it, that and Atlus has a smörgåsbord of other Persona-related games in the pipeline.

The game is heralded as the game to get for vita. To release it on another platform would undercut that entirely.

The vita is pretty sick. It's too bad it's doing so bad in the mainstream market.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a palette cleanser after P4G? I have a couple of RPGs I want to play now, but after dropping 90 hours getting the true ending, I want to try a different genre for a while before starting another RPG.

I have Guacamelee!, Gravity Rush, Remember Me, Hot Shots World Invitational, Brothers, Metro:LL, and Tomb Raider in my non-RPG backlog.

I'm also considering getting Counterstrike: GO (Had a sudden urge to play a FPS, and I played a lot of CS 1.6 back in High School)

Any suggestions?

-Horizon-

Bummer... I'd love to play Persona 4 Golden, and I just cant get myself to pull the trigger on a Vita... hmmmm

Lots of good games for the Vita coming lately. I was in the same boat last time but once I got a Vita, it was went pretty well with the 3DS (all handheld gamer right now). Vita means Life
and Hometown

Yeah, after the Bath House the dungeons seem to be a bit easier (well, the 4th one can be rough, especially the boss).

I recommend fusing a Slime if you haven't already. They have Red Wall, which you can use to prevent the boss from knocking Chie down with Fire.

oh my god

I grind a bit before I leave the dungeon and come back the next day. It's the last day before the fog sets in so it's my last chance, I make it all the way to the top, of course I never found any Fire Supressors (or whatever the accessory is called), and I proceed to fight Shadow Yukiko twice. Both times were BS, I was getting REALLY close to beating her when she pulls bullshit, but the second time was way worse. She one-shotted Yosuke with the stupid Rondo of Tremble move, then I was like "oh shit better heal Yu as much as possible", and give him a medicine to heal him to full health.

No shit, she does another Rondo, lands it, kills him in one hit with what must'v been 30 hp left on her. I was one turn from beating her.

Never rage quit a game so hard. And I've beaten Demon's and Dark Souls. This game gets one last chance at that boss before I shelve it permanently. How the fuck do you even play knowing that the boss can end the entire battle in literally one move that can kill Yu from full health?

Edit: Yep, just tried it again, the exact same bullshit just happened again. Sorry dudes, I'm gonna have to bow out of the game. Sad I only got to play like 10% of the whole thing but the game is hellbent on not letting me get to the rest of it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Edit: Yep, just tried it again, the exact same bullshit just happened again. Sorry dudes, I'm gonna have to bow out of the game. Sad I only got to play like 10% of the whole thing but the game is hellbent on not letting me get to the rest of it.

What difficulty are you/were you playing on?

What difficulty are you/were you playing on?

Hard. It's not my first time playing games the first way on Hard. My first time playing Witcher 2 was on Dark difficulty <_<. I love Demon's/Dark Souls, I never played Arkham Asylum/City on Normal or below, and I heard P4G is pretty easy and forgiving as far as JRPGs go, so I just figured I'd crank up the difficulty.

I don't want to brag, I just like challenging games. But this is plain evil. The game just up and hands you a Game Over purely based on luck with no way to change it, and I'm not re-doing the entire intro back on Normal just to get over this boss when the rest of the game gets easier.

TheSeks

Uh, there's your problem. Hard isn't meant to be "first time playthrough" in Persona. It's purposely hard. I say this as someone that chose Hard in Golden after Normal in regular P4 and STILL got their ass handed to them by Shadow Yukiko/the boss you're facing. That's kinda the POINT of the difficulty mode. God help you if you pick "Maniac" difficulty as a first-timer.

Do Normal (or preferably, Easy) and you'll have an easier time against her.

The "one-shot on Seta = game over" shouldn't happen that often. If it does, you make a Persona that resists/absorbs most of the boss/enemy attacks and laugh at them.

Once you reach 5/20 or 6/2 the game can be rendered broken by spending a few hours
more like hours
getting Victory Cry and Enduring Soul on Kaiwan to then Compendium Fuse to every other Persona (even Seta's starting Persona for cheap Compendium fusing money requirements) to break the game and prevent that "one-shot-game over" because Enduring Soul will kick in and give you chance.

This isn't like the Souls series and I dunno why people continue to use that as a barometer of "hard games," when they really aren't as hard as people hype them to be. They require patience and repetition. Kinda like Hard mode here...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ditto to what Seks said.

If you aren't used to the way the MegaTen universe plays, you should always play on normal for your first time.

Shadow Yukiko is notoriously hard even on the normal difficulty.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hard. It's not my first time playing games the first way on Hard. My first time playing Witcher 2 was on Dark difficulty <_<. I love Demon's/Dark Souls, I never played Arkham Asylum/City on Normal or below, and I heard P4G is pretty easy and forgiving as far as JRPGs go, so I just figured I'd crank up the difficulty.

I don't want to brag, I just like challenging games. But this is plain evil. The game just up and hands you a Game Over purely based on luck with no way to change it, and I'm not re-doing the entire intro back on Normal just to get over this boss when the rest of the game gets easier.
I'm just like you (Dark Mode, woo!). I play the Hardest modes possible so I don't have to play through again (well, depends on the game).

But...

However, SMT games are usually already designed to be pretty hard from the get-go. Newcomers tend to have a rough time, period. Hard Mode is usually a test of will and endurance over anything. P4 is probably one of the lesser offenders in the series/spinoffs, though.

(Raidou 1 is notorious for giving enemies like 7x health while you do 1/7 the normal damage, for instance).

Just play it on Normal. It's still pretty challenging.

Ourobolus

Banned
But I mean, why is the TV available for the characters to walk through? Why can they enter it at any time?
Maybe I'm not understanding. They have the ability to enter into any TV, but they don't know if they'll end up somewhere else when they do so, so they only use the Junes one since they know where it leads.

They only go there in the afternoon (not at night), because that is when Junes is open.

LX_Theo

Banned
But I mean, why is the TV available for the characters to walk through? Why can they enter it at any time?

Because its a display model that won't get sold. Because Junes doesn't sell many TVs. Because the lack of TV sales also means the area is deserted a lot of the time. Because the phenomenon allowing them to go through TVs is constant. Because they know where in the TV world that TV leads. Because Yosuke in Junes has enough clout and know how to work through minor issues like employees being around (and security cameras, presumably).

What issue confuses you exactly?

Z..

How come the original dub isn't in the game? Oo

English dubs on japanese setting games always piss me off because they never bother pronoucing character and location names accurately. It's always this weird english pronunciation...

Guess I'll have to get used to it like I did in P3.

No subs is lame, too.

Two Words

LHCE22c.jpg

Jesus!

How come the original dub isn't in the game? Oo

English dubs on japanese setting games always piss me off because they never bother pronoucing character and location names accurately. It's always this weird english pronunciation...

Guess I'll have to get used to it like I did in P3.

No subs is lame, too.
I believe it's due to licensing issues. And I don't think Altus includes Japaneses Voices, the only one I can think of is persona 4 area. Yeah I would def prefer subs but I think the English dubs are pretty good.

Z..

I believe it's due to licensing issues. And I don't think Altus includes Japaneses Voices, the only one I can think of is persona 4 area. Yeah I would def prefer subs but I think the English dubs are pretty good.

Oh, don't get me wrong, the dub is definitely pretty good, but everytime they say someone's name it makes me cringe. What is the huge problem people seem to have with saying foreign words right? Why do they always have to "englishify" them?

Two Words

Oh, don't get me wrong, the dub is definitely pretty good, but everytime they say someone's name it makes me cringe. What is the huge problem people seem to have with saying foreign words right? Why do they always have to "englishify" them?
It's more of the "san", "chan", "sempei" stuff that sounds wrong to me. They localize all of the language to fit America, why not titles?

LX_Theo

Banned

When do they pronounce people's names wrong isn P4?

I think I know what you mean (Since I am from an Asian descent and people have mispronounce my middle name or misspell my last name). Something along the lines of pronouncing foreign names with an "American" accent?

Z..

When do they pronounce people's names wrong isn P4?

Everytime they say someone's name. Ever.

I think I know what you mean (Since I am from an Asian descent and people have mispronounce my middle name or misspell my last name). Something along the lines of pronouncing foreign names with an "American" accent?

That's it, yeah. And not just with Japanese names, it's every foreign name they pronounce wrong and in their own way. Which I don't get. It's a foreign word with no translation. You're not supposed to say it in a different way, just say it as it is.

That's it, yeah. And not just with Japanese names, it's every foreign name they pronounce wrong and in their own way. Which I don't get. It's a foreign word with no translation. You're not supposed to say it in a different way, just say it as it is.
How are they saying it wrong? What are they pronouncing wrong? Who is guilty of this the most?

I just finished the 5th dungeon I believe. It's september. Everybody has said there's a definitive point of no return. Without spoilers, what do I need to get done before december?

TheSeks

I just finished the 5th dungeon I believe. It's september. Everybody has said there's a definitive point of no return. Without spoilers, what do I need to get done before december?

Totally spoilers that'll be obvious when you reach that point:

Nanako and Dojima's social links

If you're in September and those aren't done, you're kinda screwed. The others aren't as big a deal but you want to get those done first. That was non-Golden.

For Golden:

Nanako, Dojima, Adachi, and Marie,
IIRC. The third for old obvious reasons and the fourth is new and I'm flimsy on if there's a limit to it but again: Do as many social links as you can before the point of no return if you're going for Max Links.

LX_Theo

Banned

Yeah, no. Accents don't make pronunciations wrong. If you had something specific, I might actually be inclined to give you some credit here.

Totally spoilers that'll be obvious when you reach that point:

Nanako and Dojima's social links

If you're in September and those aren't done, you're kinda screwed. The others aren't as big a deal but you want to get those done first. That was non-Golden.

For Golden:

Nanako, Dojima, Adachi, and Marie,
IIRC. The third for old obvious reasons and the fourth is new and I'm flimsy on if there's a limit to it but again: Do as many social links as you can before the point of no return if you're going for Max Links.
Fourth one has a another month give or take to get done to unlock new content for Golden.

Z..

How are they saying it wrong? What are they pronouncing wrong? Who is guilty of this the most?
Every single name is being mispronounced. Go check the japanese version or the anime and you'll immediately see how they say names differently. Except for Igor and Margaret, obviously. In that regard, it's them who say the names wrong, lol.

Yeah, no. Accents don't make pronunciations wrong. If you had something specific, I might actually be inclined to give you some credit here.

Of course they do. If the sound coming out doesn't match the originally intended sound, they're being mispronounced. How would you even argue otherwise? I don't care if the equivalent sound doesn't exist in english, it can easily be replicated and isn't being so.

Although I understand why you see it like that if your native language is english, spanish, french, german or italian. The fact that these are such dominant languages in their respective homelands means their speakers have so little contact with foreign languages they end up pronouncing every foreign name wrong and assuming it's ok. Dubs in general are the main cause of this (admittedly insignificant) problem.

I had a british foreign exchange student in my class a couple of years ago named Michael. Some people pronounced his name as "Mick-hail" because that's how our language's pronounciation of it would be. However, most of us said his name correctly even though it's sounds don't exist in our language, BECAUSE HIS NAME IS MICHAEL, not Mick-hail.
Much like Dojima's name shouldn't be pronounced Dough-jeema (and in fact it's proper enunciation is impossible to translate into english text). A name is a sound you call someone by, it's pronunciation isn't up for debate. There's one single correct way to do it.

Out in the real world it doesn't bother me. Hell, I live in London, everybody says my name wrong here and I don't care in the slightest! But in cases like this...
I wouldn't say it's expecting too much. These are professional voice actors, they should have no problems with properly enunciating things, regardless of language.

Every single name is being mispronounced. Go check the japanese version or the anime and you'll immediately see how they say names differently. Except for Igor and Margaret, obviously. In that regard, it's them who say the names wrong, lol
I've watched Japanese footage and the anime. Sounds the same.

FluxWaveZ

Much like Dojima's name shouldn't be pronounced Dough-jeema (and in fact it's proper enunciation is impossible to translate into english text). A name is a sound you call someone by, it's pronunciation isn't up for debate. There's one single correct way to do it.

What?

Guess you're one of those.

LX_Theo

Banned
Of course they do. If the sound coming out doesn't match the originally intended sound, they're being mispronounced. How would you even argue otherwise? I don't care if the equivalent sound doesn't exist in english, it can easily be replicated and isn't being so.
lol, just going to go ahead and stop reading there given how stupid that sounds. Accents don't change the pronunciation or how your pronounce them.

Z..

What?

Guess you're one of those.

I wouldn't expect anyone who lives in a country where dubbing is commonplace to notice or understand. You've been surrounded by it your whole life, it's probably something you perceive as normal.

Past conversations I might've had on the subject aside, one other poster understood exactly what I meant, so this is obviously a thing. It's fine if it doesn't bother you, but if it's grating to me and some others, it means there is room for improvement.

Rise will replace him pretty soon.

That doesn't sound good.

lol, just going to go ahead and stop reading there given how stupid that sounds. Accents don't change the pronunciation or how your pronounce them.

They most definitely do. They shouldn't. But they do. As a language/international affairs student one of the things that were stressed the most in my intercultural communication classes is how pivotal proper enunciation is where diplomacy or any kind of foreign affair is concerned. We don't much care about it in the Western world, but for several cultures it is important enough for them to take offense.

It sounds stupid to you because in your reality this is a non-issue.

But I guess if you want to just ignore my point it's perfectably understandable. It's a rather meaningless discussion. But at least do so because you don't care. Calling something you don't understand stupid makes you sound like a Juggalo.

LX_Theo

Banned
They most definitely do. They shouldn't. But they do. As a language/international affairs student one of the things that were stressed the most in my intercultural communication classes is how pivotal proper enunciation is where diplomacy or any kind of foreign affair is concerned. We don't much care about it in the Western world, but for several cultures it is important enough for them to take offense.

It sounds stupid to you because in your reality this is a non-issue.

But I guess if you want to just ignore my point it's perfectably understandable. It's a rather meaningless discussion. But at least do so because you don't care. Calling something you don't understand stupid makes you sound like a Juggalo.

This is hilarious. I sound like a juggalo? That is the most ridiculous and out of left field reference you could have made.

This is just... something else. You do realize accents making a pronunciation incorrect means that any variation in an accent makes it also incorrect? Accents are variations how you emphasize the basic sounds of language. Often there are some typical word usages that help define an accent, but those sort of variations are irrelevant to names since each person's name has a specific pronunciation. Making it incorrect because a person has an accent means that would leave literally one person ever would be able to pronounce something correctly.

When you get down to it, accents don't matter. The pronunciations are either right or not. There is no broad trait to a person's accent that prevents them from pronouncing a name right. I'm sure there are examples of people getting the pronunciations off in Persona 4. This idea that it being dubbed in another language means its automatically wrong? Just... wow.

This is the silliest thing I've ever heard on this sort of subject. Its not stupid because its a non issue to me. Its stupid because of how stupid it is, lol.

Alucrid

Banned
Rainy days seems to push up their probability of showing up.

You can always play around with the difficulty setting and earn you more money from each encounter

Not on NG+ yet so I don't think I can do that and today's forecast is bonus slink xp so I wanted to keep that (it's not rainy sadly)

Top Bottom