• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Xenoflare

Not on NG+ yet so I don't think I can do that and today's forecast is bonus slink xp so I wanted to keep that (it's not rainy sadly)

12/23 is it? XD

If that's the case though, you might be out of luck, they still do show up regardless of weather.

Z..

The shuffle time system is alot easier to abuse in P4 than it was in P3...

I have a 99 St and 99 Ma (and +70 En, Ag and Lu) Persona with 100%revive, 100% party heal, Megidolaon, Maziodyne, God's Hand, Invigorate 3, Auto Tarukaja and 20% counter. It's Ose, btw.

And I'm only lvl 54. All other personas have become essentially pointless and I'm breezing through the game. This is a bit lame...

Other than that, this game is so good it hurts.

Z..

I'm incredibly pissed off that they just skipped the final month after Hollow Forest! I was counting on it to finish off some stuff! Retarded decision, if you ask me... Putting it on the calendar is lame if you're gonna take those days away from me unexpectadly. The game is impossible to complete unless you already know when and how it's gonna unfold. Fuck that noise.

Boooooo.

Booooooooooooooo.

Very disappointing!

Oh well, onto the final dungeon I go!

Xenoflare

I'm incredibly pissed off that they just skipped the final month after Hollow Forest! I was counting on it to finish off some stuff! Retarded decision, if you ask me... Putting it on the calendar is lame if you're gonna take those days away from me unexpectadly. The game is impossible to complete unless you already know when and how it's gonna unfold. Fuck that noise.

Boooooo.

Booooooooooooooo.

Very disappointing!

Oh well, onto the final dungeon I go!

Well, the original does this time skip after
Adachi, meaning that the game would skip from December to March

It will make the game a bit too easy if all the time up until 3/20 is available since it just gives you so much more time to max out the social links, not like it's going to matter since it's already close to the end anyways

Z..

Well, the original does this time skip after
Adachi, meaning that the game would skip from December to March

It will make the game a bit too easy if all the time up until 3/20 is available since it just gives you so much more time to max out the social links, not like it's going to matter since it's already close to the end anyways

It just pissed me off that they lead you to believe there's more time if you consult the calendar. I had several Social Links at 9 because I like keeping them at the same level (apart from Marie and the party s links, which were a priority), and I could've completed pretty much all of them if I had known, but I assumed there was time and decided to go on several hot springs scooter events to get all the available moves for each party member! I'm being kicked in the nuts for trusting the game, which absolutely sucks. And I only had 2 quests left (easy fetch ones from Magatsu) which I was putting off for when a rainy day came after the snow. Had I known the game was gonna pull the rug from under me I could've easily completed every S Link (apart from Adachi) instead of wasting time getting useless bike skills which I only got because I thought I had time, for completion's sake. Seriously pissed off.

The game is still just every bit as great, but I felt cheated, to be honest. You either read a guide beforehand or you're pretty much fucked and just have to learn to deal with it. Which is lame, imo.

So I took a huge break from this and went back to it recently.

I've just hit the boss of the dungeon named 'Heaven' (
Namatame
) and I was doing ok Mind Charging w/ Black Frost and hitting him with Agidynes. but then 'the atmosphere changed' and I got wiped.

Any tips?

CozMick

Banned
Just got started, a long time coming......

Could someone point me in the right direction to a dualshock 4 button layout scheme for this game? I'm so confused playing this on PStv.

is there a neogaf pun in persona?
The history teacher starts out with "i don't know how much you know about history. I'm an expert."

I didn't know that was a NeoGAF meme. I wish "EPIC FAIL" wasn't part of the Yosuke's dialogue. Dates the game so hard.

FluxWaveZ

is there a neogaf pun in persona?
The history teacher starts out with "i don't know how much you know about history. I'm an expert."

Yes, that's a deliberate NeoGAF reference.

I didn't know that was a NeoGAF meme. I wish "EPIC FAIL" wasn't part of the Yosuke's dialogue. Dates the game so hard.

The game takes place in 2008, though. Plus, that's something Yosuke would definitely say.

entremet

I'm in April and joined the basketball team. I'm thinking of joining a cultural club too for more S.Links.

Do I have to go to every meeting and still be able to level effectively in the dungeons?

Also, going for the best ending, but I'm having trouble even talking to the girl in the velvet room that I need to max out. She's totally not interested in me lol.

Ambitious

I started this earlier today, but I haven't played much. Haven't even played a real fight yet, not considering the one in the dream sequence.

Supposedly there are multiple endings, right? Will I need a guide to get the best one? From what I've heard, the game's pretty long, so I'd rather not have to replay it just because one wrong decision prevented me from getting the best ending.

Curufinwe

I started this earlier today, but I haven't played much. Haven't even played a real fight yet, not considering the one in the dream sequence.

Supposedly there are multiple endings, right? Will I need a guide to get the best one? From what I've heard, the game's pretty long, so I'd rather not have to replay it just because one wrong decision prevented me from getting the best ending.

Make sure you pay attention to Marie's S.Link. Other than that, you don't have to worry about missing out on endings till the start of December. But use every save slot to be safe.

Ambitious

I haven't played that much since my previous posts. I'm not really feeling it.

Having to choose whether to enter the TV world or spend my time otherwise sucks (though it makes sense story-wise). Currently, I'm in Yukiko's castle, getting my ass kicked. Generally, should I visit the dungeons as early as possible or rather as late as possible (right before it gets foggy)? What should I focus on when spending a day outside of the dungeon? I feel a bit overwhelmed.

Anyway, from what I've read, I should grind the first few floors of the dungeon to level up. Well, I have been doing that.. but I constantly run out of HP, SP and items to regenerate them. Can I leave the dungeon, heal my party somewhere (where?) and go back in during the same night?

Another question: Apparently, the point of registering Personas is to "save" them so I can get them back later if I fused or discarded them, right? Then I guess it makes sense to register them as often as possible?
How critical are my choices when it comes to fusion? Should I use a guide to avoid wasting useful Personas? But I suppose that wouldn't really matter if I could indeed reobtain them after registering them.

Ambitious

My last post is from over a month ago, and I have still not completed it. Busy time right now, don't have much time to play.

But still, I've made some progress, and I've grown to really like the game. It's August 11th, and I just beat
Mitsuo's dungeon. I have absolutely no idea what's going to happen next. For a while I assumed he was being somehow controlled by the true culprit behind the murders, but the dialog after defeating him is pretty clear cut. He did it. But there are still seven months left, so obviously there's more to that.

Got a nice persona collection too, though I usually only use two or maybe three. Currently, I use a level 47 Yatagarasu with Cool Breeze, Agilao, Magarula, Mabufula, Growth 3 and Mediarahan, and a level 39 Ganga with Mabufula, Diarama, Mediarama, Dekaja, Marakunda and Mamudo. It's a bit underleveled because I mainly used Yatagarasu in the last dungeon. Haven't leveled my other personas at all; I keep them just for potential fusions.

Similar issue with my party. When I grinded in the last dungeon, I used Yosuke, Yukiko and Kanji, who are now all at level 45. Chie and Teddie are at level 31 and 35, respectively. I hope I can make up for the level difference in the next dungeon.

Speaking of dungeons: They suck. Seriously, they could absolutely not have made them any more boring and repetitive. Which is why I usually watch shows while playing them.

My social link levels are okay, I guess. Yosuke's 6, Yukiko maxed (didn't know their personas evolve when maxing their SL. Awesome), Margaret's 1 (don't feel like doing fetch quests of that kind), Dojima's 7, Chie's 6 and Nanako's 7. Marie's 5. All the others' are 4 or lower. I don't really care about the sports guys, Teddie or Ayane.

It probably won't be my GotY, but it's really enjoyable. Refreshing setting (at least for me), interesting story, amazing music, stellar voice acting and great gameplay.

Is the anime worth watching?

Ambitious

It's December 12th. A lot of things have happened. I'm halfway through the last dungeon. Love this game.

I enjoyed the first Persona 4 animation series. Stay far away from the "Persona 4 Golden The Animation" series. It's a train-wreck.

Oh, there's two? What's wrong with the Golden series?

Ambitious

Done! What an amazing game. Can't wait for P5.
80 hours, 75% of all Personas, 11/23 maxed social links. I haven't even started some of the other SLs, so there's still loads of content I haven't seen. I don't think I'm gonna replay it anytime soon to experience that content, though. The game's just too long.

However, I've been thinking about playing P3 (FES). From what I've heard, some gameplay elements are supposedly outdated and/or tedious compared to P4, but I don't know any details. Gonna look that up.
Apparently, it's about the same length as P4? Oh boy. I think I need a break first before starting this.

It focuses on Marie too much, but it's still worth watching. The Adachi episode is amazing.

I see. Well then, I'm gonna watch the original animation first. If I'm not burned out by then, maybe I'll watch the Golden series too.

Curufinwe

You can't control your party members in P3 or FES, which can be excruciatingly annoying at times.
3nJn9n5.jpg

You can in the PSP version, but you lose a lot of the atmosphere without the cut scenes and walking around.

I always leave them make their own decisions ( I will step in to force them to defend) but otherwise who has time, with all the battles in the game and grinding to meticulously input moves for all characters all the time.

Ohnonono

I got 25 hours into this and ended up losing my save file. This game is fantastic but I have never been able to catch back up to where I was and keep going. I need to change this soon damn it but I just get bogged down every time.

SHarris78

This game is really frustrating. I love the characters, music, art style, and story - but find the dungeoning parts of the TV world both boring and unfair.

About 8 hours in, have a 4 team party and decided to go into the TV to level up a bit and collect items. Got all the way to the boss of the castle with no problems, and a few turns into the boss battle all 4 of my team were wiped out with one 'move' - so i basically wasted all that time and am back to square one. I want to stick wit the game as I want to see where goes, but I don't want to be replaying sections over and over. I decided to play on easy but now wish I put it on very easy.

It reminds me a bit of my time with Danganronpa - loved that game to death but could have done without the annoying trials (though I much prefer that to the P4 dungeoning).

SHarris78

There's a save point before the boss, so how are you back to square one?

There was? I thought it asked me whether I wanted to go back to the dungeon entrance or back to the start of the week. Maybe I read it wrong - I was so 'what the...' after being wiped out so easily.

Cha

There was? I thought it asked me whether I wanted to go back to the dungeon entrance or back to the start of the week. Maybe I read it wrong - I was so 'what the...' after being wiped out so easily.

Hmm, I can't remember losing much progress after dying. I played the game on Easy too. Going back to the dungeon entrance doesn't mean that you'd start from the first floor again. On easy mode you can return to the last floor you opened up from the entrance. But just in case, I saved before each boss battle anyway. Before a boss battle your character usually senses a strong presence, and you'd be asked if you want to continue. It's a good idea NOT to continue, and instead use the Goho-M item to return to the entrance and SAVE or stock up on items. Easy mode was still a little challenging later on (but not outright difficult). I think I would have gotten pretty frustrated if I started on a higher difficulty.

SHarris78

Hmm, I can't remember losing much progress after dying. I played the game on Easy too. Going back to the dungeon entrance doesn't mean that you'd start from the first floor again. On easy mode you can return to the last floor you opened up from the entrance. But just in case, I saved before each boss battle anyway. Before a boss battle your character usually senses a strong presence, and you'd be asked if you want to continue. It's a good idea NOT to continue, and instead use the Goho-M item to return to the entrance and SAVE or stock up on items. Easy mode was still a little challenging later on (but not outright difficult). I think I would have gotten pretty frustrated if I started on a higher difficulty.

This is what I did earlier. I'm still trying to get to grips with the game (social links/personas/skill cards/fusing - my brain hurts!), but this time I went through the dungeon collecting items and levelling up until I got to the door of the boss battle, at which point I used Goho-M and went back to the real world.

I'm guessing a big part of the game is time management - do you spend more time in the real world improving social links, or more time dungeon grinding and leveling up/collecting items. I do wish I started the game on very easy instead of easy though, I don't play JRPGs and the battles stress me out!!

Ourobolus

Banned
This is what I did earlier. I'm still trying to get to grips with the game (social links/personas/skill cards/fusing - my brain hurts!), but this time I went through the dungeon collecting items and levelling up until I got to the door of the boss battle, at which point I used Goho-M and went back to the real world.

I'm guessing a big part of the game is time management - do you spend more time in the real world improving social links, or more time dungeon grinding and leveling up/collecting items. I do wish I started the game on very easy instead of easy though, I don't play JRPGs and the battles stress me out!!
PROTIP: go to the dungeon as early as possible and finish it in one night if possible. Then spend the rest of the time on social links.

Sajjaja

So I'm not entirely sure on how fusion works. Do you lose the skills of the personas you fused? Should I fuse Izanagi? What are good fusions to make? D:

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So I'm not entirely sure on how fusion works. Do you lose the skills of the personas you fused? Should I fuse Izanagi? What are good fusions to make? D:

The persona that you acquire from fusion can inherit some of the skills of the Personae that you fuse. If you are playing P4G you are able to choose which skills carry over.

You should fuse Izanagi sometime down the road because there are more powerful Personae that you can fuse, unless you are playing Golden, which you could potentially use him for the entire game using cards.

As far as good fusions, it's usually good to fill in the gaps with what your other party members don't have. I usually attempt to have one Persona of each element, a physical type, a healer and a support for bosses.

Mumei

The persona that you acquire from fusion can inherit some of the skills of the Personae that you fuse. If you are playing P4G you are able to choose which skills carry over.

You should fuse Izanagi sometime down the road because there are more powerful Personae that you can fuse, unless you are playing Golden, which you could potentially use him for the entire game using cards.

As far as good fusions, it's usually good to fill in the gaps with what your other party members don't have. I usually attempt to have one Persona of each element, a physical type, a healer and a support for bosses.

I wince every time I read this.

Lusankya

In general you should always fuse your personas after a while.
There are four reasons why you should fuse your personas as often as possible:

- Depending on the arcana of the fused persona you get Bonus Experience from the appropriate Social Link. Later they get huge amounts of experience and will increase their level by 2-3 right after the fusion. Without the Bonus Experience it takes ages to level a persona up all the way to learn all its skills.

- The level of the fused personas are in general higher than the ones you can find in dungeons at the same time. So you get access to stronger personas earlier.

- You don't lose the skills, instead you can choose up to four skills the fused persona will inherit (you have more options the more skills the personas you use for fusion have). So only via fusion you are able to customize your strongest ppersonas and make them truly overpowered. E.g. by giving them a skill that negates their weakness. Some skills can't be inherited, though.

- Many personas (including the strongest ones) can only be obtained via fusion.

So in general just keep on fusing. Never stop!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I wince every time I read this.

I don't know what the difference is between being able to choose what skills you inherit rather than mashing X and O until you get the same skills that you want. Hell, Devil Survivor does this too. (Of course with that you only get three skills plus three passive skills)

Ok, I'm restarting Persona 4. First time I tried to play this I did while also playing other games and I lost interest at some point. That was stupid. This game is amazing but It's important to be immersed in it's story and characters to properly appreciate the whole thing.

So I'm going back in. Not only that. I'm restarting the game. I remain very lost when it comes to what am I supposed to do with my personas tho.
When should I fuse my personas? How can I tell if a persona is stronger than the one I already have? Is it a good idea to keep 1 persona of each "type" because of social links?

Also, I wanna do this "blind". I mean without a guide. What should I watch for in order to get the true ending without a guide?

Plus, should I worry about buying equipment or do I get what I need by just playing?

Edit: One more lol: When it comes to social links... are there specific social links that I have a really small window of opportunity to finish? I really don't wanna use a guide on my first playthrough, but If I lose something importnat because of that I'm gonna be PISSED!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You typically level up your personas to get all their skills, then put them in the compendium, and then you can start fusing them to make new personas with the skills you want.

You are able to pull any persona from the compendium, so you don't need to keep them on you... but obviously it will help unless you are planning out who you will talk to at any time. But yes, you want to match your persona with your S-link partner.

The true ending involves answering a series of questions correctly near the end. I don't remember if the new February stuff happens automatically or if you need to do something with Marie though.

You can get some gear from fighting bosses in dungeons you have cleared, but you should buy new stuff as you can afford it.

If you don't use a guide, you will miss S-links. It's inevitable. Without knowing what is coming up, there's no way for you to plan correctly. So you have to choose to prioritize the ones you want, or just using a guide.
It would be easier to go blind in a NG+ when you have full stats, but by that point you wouldn't be playing blind anymore...

Jachaos

Ok, I'm restarting Persona 4. First time I tried to play this I did while also playing other games and I lost interest at some point. That was stupid. This game is amazing but It's important to be immersed in it's story and characters to properly appreciate the whole thing.

So I'm going back in. Not only that. I'm restarting the game. I remain very lost when it comes to what am I supposed to do with my personas tho.
When should I fuse my personas? How can I tell if a persona is stronger than the one I already have? Is it a good idea to keep 1 persona of each "type" because of social links?

Also, I wanna do this "blind". I mean without a guide. What should I watch for in order to get the true ending without a guide?

Plus, should I worry about buying equipment or do I get what I need by just playing?

Edit: One more lol: When it comes to social links... are there specific social links that I have a really small window of opportunity to finish? I really don't wanna use a guide on my first playthrough, but If I lose something importnat because of that I'm gonna be PISSED!

1- Personas: Keep a varied group with you at all times. Ones with different weaknesses and elemental attacks, ones that can heal, buff (btw those are very useful, it'll boost by 1.5x so if you buff your party's attack of debuff the boss' defense you'll get 1.5x damage out of every attack). Basically, as the main character, your level is tied to that of your Persona's. Of course you also have an actual level for yourself but that only grows your HP and SP. What your level is really used for is for fusing more powerful Persona.

So say you hit Lvl 10 and you're still rolling with a Lvl 5 Izanagi. Well you have Lvl 10 HP and SP but you have your Izanagi's Strength (physical attacks) Magic (magic attacks) Endurance (straightforward) Agility (hit/accuracy and evasion) and Luck (Critical hits and evasion). Those stats will probably be lower than a Lvl 10 Persona you could go fuse (since you're Lvl 10) so you'll want to fuse your Izanagi and other ones you've gotten for a better one (that's done in the Velvet Room). You can always buy them back from the Compendium in the Velvet Room too.

Sometimes a boss will be weak to Ice and use Fire attacks for example, so you'll want to use a Persona who has Ice skills and/or who resists Fire (or at least one that's not weak to Fire as if the boss hits your weak point it'll get an extra turn)

Also, having a Persona of, say, the Magician arcana (like Pixie) when doing the Magician social link (Yosuke) is useful. Your good answers (when stars come out of the character's head and he's happy) will be worth more. But you can get cheap ones from the Compendium if you want to do a social link. It's not necessary to have your group of Persona made up in function of all the social links you might do.

2- True ending: Just remember one of the game's main theme when you get to a crucial point late game. You'll know when you reach it. In fact the game will warn you that you should create a second save file when you reach it. You'll get some choices shortly after. Make the right ones and you'll extend the length of the game by a great amount.

Also, do the Marie social link sooner rather than later. Getting the Rank 10 for her will add a fair amount of content to the ending too. The window of opportunity is still large enough for you not to feel obligated to spend every opportunity you have with her. If you keep in mind that you should get her to Rank 10, you'll be fine.

3- There's the home shopping show on Sundays and such from a certain point in the game. There's great deals on equipment there. You can also buy equipment at other times, it is useful, so if you have the money do it but you find some good stuff in dungeons too.

4- Don't try to do everything. You'll ruin the game. Just do whatever you feel is best. If you have a 2nd save file when the game tells you, choose the right answer and have the Marie social link done by late-game, you'll be more than fine. You can carry over your Courage and Diligence and other such social stats to a New Game +. Doing all the social links, reading all the books, upgrading all your stats, doing all the quests, etc., don't try that. It's impossible to do that blind on a first play through.

1- Personas: Keep a varied group with you at all times. Ones with different weaknesses and elemental attacks, ones that can heal, buff (btw those are very useful, it'll boost by 1.5x so if you buff your party's attack of debuff the boss' defense you'll get 1.5x damage out of every attack). Basically, as the main character, your level is tied to that of your Persona's. Of course you also have an actual level for yourself but that only grows your HP and SP. What your level is really used for is for fusing more powerful Persona.

So say you hit Lvl 10 and you're still rolling with a Lvl 5 Izanagi. Well you have Lvl 10 HP and SP but you have your Izanagi's Strength (physical attacks) Magic (magic attacks) Endurance (straightforward) Agility (hit/accuracy and evasion) and Luck (Critical hits and evasion). Those stats will probably be lower than a Lvl 10 Persona you could go fuse (since you're Lvl 10) so you'll want to fuse your Izanagi and other ones you've gotten for a better one (that's done in the Velvet Room). You can always buy them back from the Compendium in the Velvet Room too.

Sometimes a boss will be weak to Ice and use Fire attacks for example, so you'll want to use a Persona who has Ice skills and/or who resists Fire (or at least one that's not weak to Fire as if the boss hits your weak point it'll get an extra turn)

Also, having a Persona of, say, the Magician arcana (like Pixie) when doing the Magician social link (Yosuke) is useful. Your good answers (when stars come out of the character's head and he's happy) will be worth more. But you can get cheap ones from the Compendium if you want to do a social link. It's not necessary to have your group of Persona made up in function of all the social links you might do.

2- True ending: Just remember one of the game's main theme when you get to a crucial point late game. You'll know when you reach it. In fact the game will warn you that you should create a second save file when you reach it. You'll get some choices shortly after. Make the right ones and you'll extend the length of the game by a great amount.

Also, do the Marie social link sooner rather than later. Getting the Rank 10 for her will add a fair amount of content to the ending too. The window of opportunity is still large enough for you not to feel obligated to spend every opportunity you have with her. If you keep in mind that you should get her to Rank 10, you'll be fine.

3- There's the home shopping show on Sundays and such from a certain point in the game. There's great deals on equipment there. You can also buy equipment at other times, it is useful, so if you have the money do it but you find some good stuff in dungeons too.

4- Don't try to do everything. You'll ruin the game. Just do whatever you feel is best. If you have a 2nd save file when the game tells you, choose the right answer and have the Marie social link done by late-game, you'll be more than fine. You can carry over your Courage and Diligence and other such social stats to a New Game +. Doing all the social links, reading all the books, upgrading all your stats, doing all the quests, etc., don't try that. It's impossible to do that blind on a first play through.

Holy shit thanks for the imput, dude.

I had no idea that my persona stats were my stats. I'm still confused as hell but I guess a bit less now.

Based on your imput I've decided to do a first run 100% blind. Just for the funsies. If I don't get the best ending screw it. i'll just use a guide on my 2nd run.

And I'll probably do a 3rd run for the Rise trophy.

Jachaos

Holy shit thanks for the imput, dude.

I had no idea that my persona stats were my stats. I'm still confused as hell but I guess a bit less now.

Based on your imput I've decided to do a first run 100% blind. Just for the funsies. If I don't get the best ending screw it. i'll just use a guide on my 2nd run.

And I'll probably do a 3rd run for the Rise trophy.

Heh, the Persona's stats being your stats is often overlooked but it is crucial.

A 100% blind run is the way to go. There's stuff that's only unlocked on a NG+ anyway. Though I do recommend you reload your save if you get one of the bad endings. There's something like a quarter of the way to go at that point, so you'd miss out on a lot. The worst ending is actually pretty tough to get and you probably won't get it without a guide, so you can check that out on your 2nd playthrough.

As for the Rise trophy, I thought I might need a 3rd run too but worked hard to get it on my 2nd playthrough and got it with more than enough time left so I think I was fine overall. On NG+ you can switch difficulty on the fly so that's useful for getting lines specific to each character, lines specific to being underleveled and overleveled, etc. You can even modifiy specific stuff like Exp. Gained, Money Gained, Damage, etc.

Just finished. GAF didnt lie.

This game is fucking perfect. I think I'm in love with the whole party. Just so good together. I teared up a bit more than once. Liked it so much I'm actually gonna do the Anime now. The original. Not golden first. Gonna do a complete LTTP post later today also.

Two things now tho:

1) How can people NOT like Marie? She is the best. Yukiko a bit behind.

2) I have a PS3 and a Vita. Which version of Persona 3 should I play? How can I get it?

Top Bottom