• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
C'mon, it is not the same as a sequence where we get to see a bunch of girls poorly veiled by steam in a bathhouse. One is about introducing a character early on before you meet her, knowing before hand what she does for a living and also to set up the whole tv theme, commercial, then news, channel flipping, etc.

The other is just blatant fanservice.

We're talking about a sequence where they are originally in a bathhouse though, so it's not as if there's no context.

I don't see why either of the two scenes wouldn't be regarded as fanservice. You can just as easily say that there are also ways to introduce rise without the bikini ad scene. Even though it made perfect sense for her character.

Also golden is pretty much P4 with added fanservice from what I've seen.

Dantis

We're talking about a sequence where they are originally in a bathhouse though, so it's not as if there's no context.

I don't see why either of the two scenes wouldn't be regarded as fanservice. You can just as easily say that there are also ways to introduce rise without the bikini ad scene. Even though it made perfect sense for her character.

Actually, they go to a different bath house for that scene. There's no context for it whatsoever. It's just 'cos.

And yes, it is just P4 with fan service. That's what I've been saying for the last four months.

C'mon, it is not the same as a sequence where we get to see a bunch of girls poorly veiled by steam in a bathhouse. One is about introducing a character early on before you meet her, knowing before hand what she does for a living and also to set up the whole tv theme, commercial, then news, channel flipping, etc.

The other is just blatant fanservice.

True. It would be like there being a shower scene in P3 showing most of Yukari for no real reason.

Antiwhippy

Actually, they go to a different bath house for that scene. There's no context for it whatsoever. It's just 'cos.

And yes, it is just P4 with fan service. That's what I've been saying for the last four months.

Huh, really? What's the context for the second bathhouse scene?

I don't think anyone is really surprised about the fanservice thing. It's pretty much the premise.

Dantis

True. It would be like there being a shower scene in P3 showing most of Yukari for no real reason.

Again, it fit the context.

Do you people just blast through these games without thinking about any of it?...

Huh, really? What's the context for the second bathhouse scene?

I don't think anyone is really surprised about the fanservice thing. It's pretty much the premise.

After the ski trip, they're cold. There's your context.

Antiwhippy

Again, it fit the context.

Do you people just blast through these games without thinking about any of it?...

After the ski trip, they're cold. There's your context.

I don't really see what story context has to do with scenes like that not being sexual fanservice.

Kyon

Banned
RT

Also golden is pretty much P4 with added fanservice from what I've seen.

Dantis

I don't really see what story context has to do with scenes like that not being sexual fanservice.

Are you serious?

If the context calls for it (Or at the very least, it makes sense within the given context), then surely it's not fan service? The bath house scene makes no sense, straight up. It makes no sense for any of the characters to do any of the things in that scene.

Antiwhippy

Are you serious?

If the context calls for it (Or at the very least, it makes sense within the given context), then surely it's not fan service? The bath house scene makes no sense, straight up. It makes no sense for any of the characters to do any of the things in that scene.

Well, I haven't played golden yet and won't for awhile, so I can't comment on the bathhouse scene, but no, it's still a way to give players sexual titillation, context or no context. The yukari bath scene for example, the same thing probably can be accomplished by say, showing the main protagonist undress to get his swag on with the shower noise in the background (or something, anyway...), but we get treated to shots of yukari's belly hole instead.

Again, it makes sense in context. But that doesn't stop it from being some sexual fanservice, especially knowing the audience, as well as the type of game it is, where you can work your way to dating her.

I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, especially if it fits the narrative. But to say that those aren't moments of fanservice is really strange to me.

Well, I haven't played golden yet and won't for awhile, so I can't comment on the bathhouse scene, but no, it's still a way to give players sexual titillation, context or no context. The yukari bath scene for example, the same thing probably can be accomplished by say, showing the main protagonist undress to get his swag on (or something, anyway...), but we get treated to shots of yukari's belly hole.

Again, it makes sense in context. But that doesn't stop it from being some sexual fanservice, especially knowing the audience, as well as the type of game it is, where you can work your way to dating her.

I'm not even saying it's a bad thing, especially if it fits the narrative. But to say that there aren't any moments of fanservice is really strange to me.

I think the confusion is not about what is and isn't fan service. P3 and P4 are filled with fan service.

The argument one might have is about the games having good or bad fan service. Having context generally improves it, I agree and perhaps P4G doesn't work hard enough on that.

Dantis

I think the confusion is not about what is and isn't fan service. P3 and P4 are filled with fan service.

The argument one might have is about the games having good or bad fan service. Having context generally improves it, I agree and perhaps P4G doesn't work hard enough on that.

Filled with?

Get right outta town.

Dantis

Well, I disagree, but we're getting further and further off topic with this.

At the very least, I'm sure we can agree that Golden does have lots of fan-service, and that it is given without proper context, yes?

At it's core, that is my (And presumably other people's) problem with it. Naked people are fine as long as it makes sense.

SoulUnison

Banned
Eeeeh, the amount of creepy sexualization of a bunch of underage animated character is kinda creeping me out.

Is this what people picture me like when I tell them I like JRPGs?

You're legitimately making me feel dirty.

Dawg

I'm kinda confused.

One of the reviews is a french one, but afaik this game is USA only and not Europe?

kewlmyc

Have I ended up in an alternative universe where Persona 4 has somehow become easier than 3?

P4 was easy as hell after the 2nd story boss, even on hard mode. It is true though that P3P makes the game much easier since Atlus didn't adjust the difficulty with the addition of party control. P3FES was pretty damn difficult at times though. Like one of the bosses that would always make your party afraid then critical every single one in a row on hard mode.

Uthred

It would appear that the people complaining "OMG FANSERVICE" have selectively edited their memories of P3 and P4. Fanservice is fanservice, context doesnt magically make it not fanservice - these scenes arent occuring naturally they're chosen by the designer's. Just to talk about stuff already mentioned. You didn't run around Tartarus in thong bikinis and maid costumes because CONTEXT. And Rise wasnt introduced sexing it up in a bikini because CONTEXT. Both are fan service. Pretty blatant fanservice at that and certainly not really any less blatant than the new stuff in P4G

Kyon

Banned
RT

It would appear that the people complaining "OMG FANSERVICE" have selectively edited their memories of P3 and P4. Fanservice is fanservice, context doesnt magically make it not fanservice - these scenes arent occuring naturally they're chosen by the designer's. Just to talk about stuff already mentioned. You didn't run around Tartarus in thong bikinis and maid costumes because CONTEXT. And Rise wasnt introduced sexing it up in a bikini because CONTEXT. Both are fan service. Pretty blatant fanservice at that and certainly not really any less blatant than the new stuff in P4G

You certainly are

Antiwhippy

I don't actually know the sales number for P1 and P2, but you can't really deny the surge the series got from P3 and 4. From manga to anime to reiterations, though it might just be from atlus trying their hardest to push it too. It's even treated as the mainline SMT series now.

cj_iwakura

I don't actually know the sales number for P1 and P2, but you can't really deny the surge the series got from P3 and 4. From manga to anime to reiterations, though it might just be from atlus trying their hardest to push it too. It's even treated as the mainline SMT series now.

Persona 1 did so well that it branched off from Megami Ibunroku's subseries, so even back then it was a trendsetter.It was still kind of cult compared to P3 blowing up though.

P1 PSP did pretty well, P2(both) were disastrous in comparison. We're lucky EP PSP even happened.

kewlmyc

Pretty sure the same applies to P3 and P4.

The only fan service I can think of is the high cut armor.
There was also Yukari's shower scene and the video recordings for each of the girls. However none of those are as blatantly obvious as P4G's two bath scenes, since the video recordings were not animated and at least Fuuka's had some humor to it.

Honestly, I don't care about the fanservice since I'm used to it from watching anime (I just hope newcomers don't judge the series as fanservice trash because of it). I'm more bothered by the
True Story scene where everyone magically learns to play instruments.

But it hasn't been announced for localisation yet right? :(
Yes, coming out in NA on the 20th, Europe sometime in 2013.

I really want to buy a Vita, and import this (I live in the UK).

Would I have any issues in regards to region compatability? I saw this thread on the Atlus forums, but I'm still confused.

Will it work on a UK Vita, with a UK PSN account? Also, will I have to use seperate memory cards for UK and US games?

Dantis

Would I have any issues in regards to region compatability? I saw this thread on the Atlus forums, but I'm still confused.

Will it work on a UK Vita, with a UK PSN account? Also, will I have to use seperate memory cards for UK and US games?

I've been playing the Japanese one on a UK Vita and have had zero problems.

There was also Yukari's shower scene and the video recordings for each of the girls. However none of those are as blatantly obvious as P4G's two bath scenes, since the video recordings were not animated and at least Fuuka's had some humor to it.

Honestly, I don't care about the fanservice since I'm used to it from watching anime (I just hope newcomers don't judge the series as fanservice trash because of it). I'm more bothered by the
True Story scene where everyone magically learns to play instruments.

If it makes you feel better, they practice for a few days beforehand.

No region locking on the US version. Spend away young man!

Dantis

The white blur of death is back! Dantis is right though, this is needless fanservice. But hell, I'll probably enjoy it anyway.

At the very least, you'll like the new epilogue. I think it'll be really weird for first time players, but for returning players it's really great. Easily the best of the new additions.

The actual ski trip is really nice too. It's a 'proper' Persona event. Feels right at home.

Roto13

That's stupid. There's no need to show Rise or anyone else naked at that point in the game. It accomplishes nothing, unlike the brief bikini ad at the beginning of the game that helps build a world where Rise is a celebrity (and someone you know from seeing around without ever having met), and it contributes to the whole deal with her "Risette" image being completely different from the real Rise, and how she literally feels overexposed with it.

Isn't that Yukari scene supposed to be a demenstration of the power of the Lovers shadow and that they overcome it? also the rest of it, like the high cut armor/battle panties and the security camera footage are all added in rereleases such as FES and Portable. I really feel like there are two groups of Persona fans and this fanservice splits them.

Omikaru

I was quietly in the "it can't be that bad" group, but seeing that, I'm really disappointed they'd go there.

I mean, they're practically children, for fuck's sake, and it's utterly pointless.

I'm sure the game is still wonderful, in spite of those scenes, but I'll probably skip them when I'm playing.

Antiwhippy

That's stupid. There's no need to show Rise or anyone else naked at that point in the game. It accomplishes nothing, unlike the brief bikini ad at the beginning of the game that helps build a world where Rise is a celebrity (and someone you know from seeing around without ever having met), and it contributes to the whole deal with her "Risette" image being completely different from the real Rise, and how she literally feels overexposed with it.

Again, I don't see why that has to be mutually exclusive from sexual fanservice.

I was quietly in the "it can't be that bad" group, but seeing that, I'm really disappointed they'd go there.

I mean, they're practically children, for fuck's sake, and it's utterly pointless.

I'm sure the game is still wonderful, in spite of those scenes, but I'll probably skip them when I'm playing.

Not quite forgiving them or anything, cuz its sort of sad that they had to resort to that kind of fanservice, but aren't they mostly all legal in Japan or something?

Uthred

It accomplishes nothing, unlike the brief bikini ad at the beginning of the game that helps build a world where Rise is a celebrity (and someone you know from seeing around without ever having met), and it contributes to the whole deal with her "Risette" image being completely different from the real Rise, and how she literally feels overexposed with it.

Bullshit. The bikini is fan service pure and simple, the same effect could have been achieved by having her advertising something dressed in "super cute" idol clothes. The bikini was used for the same reason as the new scenes, fanservice. The mental gymnastics that people are going through to try and differentiate between the old and new fan service is as sad as it is amusing. It feels like a lot of posters cant accept the fact that they liked/didnt notice the old fan service so they feel the need to create artificial distinctions from the new fan service. Grow up.

Top Bottom