• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden review thread: The Highest Reviewed Game of All Time and The Future?

Venfayth

Isn't that Yukari scene supposed to be a demenstration of the power of the Lovers shadow and that they overcome it? also the rest of it, like the high cut armor/battle panties and the security camera footage are all added in rereleases such as FES and Portable. I really feel like there are two groups of Persona fans and this fanservice splits them.

Yeah. Definitely. Fuck that other group. Lesser human beings, for sure.

Dantis

Bullshit. The bikini is fan service pure and simple, the same effect could have been achieved by having her advertising something dressed in "super cute" idol clothes. The bikini was used for the same reason as the new scenes, fanservice. The mental gymnastics that people are going through to try and differentiate between the old and new fan service is as sad as it is amusing. It feels like a lot of posters cant accept the fact that they liked/didnt notice the old fan service so they feel the need to create artificial distinctions from the new fan service. Grow up.

Nope. It was necessary regarding her story. (Vanilla P4 spoilers)
Rise's story is about how nobody knows the real her, and everyone just sees her as this sex symbol, right? If she was dressed in 'super cute idol clothes' it wouldn't have been conveyed the same. The ad is there to make her look like an air-head who wears skimpy clothing, because that's all anyone cares about.

Also telling people to grow up doesn't make sense within this context, but it does make you look like a bit of an ass.

Hmm.

Venfayth

As much as I want Dantis to be wrong, I don't think he is. I haven't played the game yet, but I can't really argue against his points about "fanservice". That being said, I don't hate being serviced :p

I think the most fanservicey part of P4 was the
School Trip and Brosuke bringing the girls some swimsuits.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Not quite forgiving them or anything, cuz its sort of sad that they had to resort to that kind of fanservice, but aren't they mostly all legal in Japan or something?
"Resort" to what? I'm pretty sure it's there for the fans they already have. It's just supposed to be fun.

This is such a non-issue.

Uthred

Alternatively, just include the Japanese voice track.

Did they ever explain/announce why there was no Japanese audio track? It really is a shame its not included (and unfortuantely unlike the PS2 we cant expect a fan "redub" for a while/ever)

Nope. It was necessary regarding her story. (Vanilla P4 spoilers)
Rise's story is about how nobody knows the real her, and everyone just sees her as this sex symbol, right? If she was dressed in 'super cute idol clothes' it wouldn't have been conveyed the same. The ad is there to make her look like an air-head who wears skimpy clothing, because that's all anyone cares about.

Also telling people to grow up doesn't make sense within this context, but it does make you look like a bit of an ass.

Hmm.

Oh no! Anonymous internet man thinks Im an ass! Again, bullshit, you can easily portray her as a sex symbol/ditzy showbiz personality without using something as fan servicey as a bikini. The grow up was because so much of this smacks of people suddenly embarassed that they liked something with fanservice stuff in it, hope that contextualises for you as weve all learned in this thread context makes everything all right (the entire argument is fucking stupid anyway both the new and old fanserivce are miniscule parts of 80+ hour games).

mollipen

Here's some screenshots of the new shameless fanservice scene discussed above. Links because kind of NSFW and also spoilery I guess.

I'm actually rather upset by this for two reasons. The Persona has a very decent female fan population, do pandering to the male fans like this kind of gives them the finger somewhat.

Bigger than that, though, one of the reasons I loved P4 so much was that I felt its cast stood above your stereotypical anime groupings. The characters felt stronger (in design and depth), didn't just play to tropes or fetishes, and every member of the female cast felt like more than just "love interest for main character",

Sure, maybe I'm overly sensitive on this, but stuff like those new bathhouse scenes work to cheapen all of that.

Dantis

Oh no! Anonymous internet man thinks Im an ass! Again, bullshit, you can easily portray her as a sex symbol/ditzy showbiz personality without using something as fan servicey as a bikini. The grow up was because so much of this smacks of people suddenly embarassed that they liked something with fanservice stuff in it, hope that contextualises for you as weve all learned in this thread context makes everything all right (the entire argument is fucking stupid anyway both the new and old fanserivce are miniscule parts of 80+ hour games).

If you're needlessly aggressive, then it devalues your argument. It's just common sense.

And if that doesn't bother you, then that means the discussion is redundant as you're arguing for the sake of arguing, which devalues it even more. It is also rather lame.

But sure, swear more, get mad. I think you're starting to convince me.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm actually rather upset by this for two reasons. The Persona has a very decent female fan population, do pandering to the male fans like this kind of gives them the finger somewhat.

Bigger than that, though, one of the reasons I loved P4 so much was that I felt its cast stood above your stereotypical anime groupings. The characters felt stronger (in design and depth), didn't just play to tropes or fetishes, and every member of the female cast felt like more than just "love interest for main character",

Sure, maybe I'm overly sensitive on this, but stuff like those new bathhouse scenes work to cheapen all of that.
If you actually believe that to be true about the game and its characters, then I don't see how one new scene is going to change that one bit. It's not like they are removing anything.

to be fair about this kind of thing, there is quite a bit of male fan service too, but i digress.

Venfayth

If you actually believe that to be true about the game and its characters, then I don't see how one new scene is going to change that one bit. It's not like they are removing anything.

Well, the game is still good, but Golden as an expansion of the game is pretty lame compared to P3P. (That's his point, not mine, I haven't played it yet but I'm finding it hard to disagree with him)

Dantis

Are there any new gameplay additions in this, like new dungeons or bosses or what not?

One new dungeon and one new boss. They look nice, but they're a bit of a chore to play through. (Non plot-related spoilers)
They take place at the end of the game, so by that time you're crazy powerful. They tried to artificially add difficulty by making it so that after every fight your SP is halved. You also lose all your weapons, armor, items and costumes. You find equipment that restores your SP a bit as you go through the dungeon. It also has forced battles, which is really lame.

One new dungeon and one new boss. They look nice, but they're a bit of a chore to play through. (Non plot-related spoilers)
They take place at the end of the game, so by that time you're crazy powerful. They tried to artificially add difficulty by making it so that after every fight your SP is halved. You also lose all your weapons, armor, items and costumes. You find equipment that restores your SP a bit as you go through the dungeon. It also has forced battles, which is really lame.

ah, sounds like your typical bullshit bonus dungeon then.

Uthred

If you're needlessly aggressive, then it devalues your argument. It's just common sense.

And if that doesn't bother you, then that means the discussion is redundant as you're arguing for the sake of arguing, which devalues it even more. It is also rather lame.

But sure, swear more, get mad. I think you're starting to convince me.

Spare me from your sad attempt to sidestep the points being raised. Whether it bothers me or not has nothing to do with whether its fanservice or not. The discussion was never whether it bothered people or not it was whether it was fanservice or not, and to comment on that all one needs is a set of eyes and the ability to draw basic conclusions. Im not arguing for the sake of arguing Im arguing that the games have always had fanservice of exactly the same stripe and with as much "context" as the new stuff. You can tell this by reading what I wrote and seeing how I made points as opposed to what you're doing - trying to derail the discussion by misrepresenting what's been written. I've no interest in trying to convince you of anything, because based on your posting history in this and other threads (as well as the general fact that convincing someone out of a wrong opinion on the internet is a tall order) its pointless. I'm merely offering a counterpoint to your incorrect protestations that the new fan service is of a different order to what was already there.

Dantis

Yup. It kinda ruins the pace of the end-game too. You get to winter, which you now play-through, and the town is covered in snow, and it plays the new track, Snowflakes. Snowflakes is all about friendships coming to an end and whatnot, and you're finishing all your S Links and it's great, and all wrapping up...

Then you get thrown into a final dungeon, it's mandatory, you have to do it in one go, and it's crap. And it is almost completely irrelevant to the main story and adds nothing to it.

Spare me from your sad attempt to sidestep the points being raised. Whether it bothers me or not has nothing to do with whether its fanservice or not. The discussion was never whether it bothered people or not it was whether it was fanservice or not, and to comment on that all one needs is a set of eyes and the ability to draw basic conclusions. Im not arguing for the sake of arguing Im arguing that the games have always had fanservice of exactly the same stripe and with as much "context" as the new stuff. You can tell this by reading what I wrote and seeing how I made points as opposed to what you're doing - trying to derail the discussion by misrepresenting what's been written. I've no interest in trying to convince you of anything, because based on your posting history in this and other threads (as well as the general fact that convincing someone out of a wrong opinion on the internet is a tall order) its pointless. I'm merely offering a counterpoint to your incorrect protestations that the new fan service is of a different order to what was already there.

See, isn't it nicer when you're civil? :)

Roto13

Bullshit. The bikini is fan service pure and simple, the same effect could have been achieved by having her advertising something dressed in "super cute" idol clothes. The bikini was used for the same reason as the new scenes, fanservice. The mental gymnastics that people are going through to try and differentiate between the old and new fan service is as sad as it is amusing. It feels like a lot of posters cant accept the fact that they liked/didnt notice the old fan service so they feel the need to create artificial distinctions from the new fan service. Grow up.

I've already explained the difference, as have other posters, and if you still can't wrap your puny brain around it, it has nothing to do with "mental gymnastics." Jesus. Take a high school literature class or something. Learn how to think about a story.

I'll take bonus dungeon gimmicks over endless hallways and 2x2 square rooms any day. It did kind of make the game drag on too long, though. But not as much as the real last dungeon.

Uthred

I've already explained the difference, as have other posters, and if you still can't wrap your puny brain around it, it has nothing to do with "mental gymnastics." Jesus. Take a high school literature class or something. Learn how to think about a story.

Tut, tut I thought we were meant to be civil. No, you didnt "explain" it, you tried to justify it, which is different. It's not that I couldnt understand your "explanation", it's that I disagreed with it because it was poorly thought out and sadly naive. And I do so hate to be this guy, but the fact that your go to example for "higher education" is high school really tells me all I need to know about why your "explanation" was so tediously superficial.

Esura

Banned
Why would they be? I'm a bit confused.

Figured with the additions of other stuff and Marie that some SLs would change a bit.

Um, how do this give the Persona female fan population the middle finger? Its not like there isn't a Kanji alt in only his underwear, oh wait there is. Or that P3P allows you to play as a female main character who social links feel somewhat otome-ish.

Roto13

Tut, tut I thought we were meant to be civil. No, you didnt "explain" it, you tried to justify it, which is different. It's not that I couldnt understand your "explanation", it's that I disagreed with it because it was poorly thought out and sadly naive. And I do so hate to be this guy, but the fact that your go to example for "higher education" is high school really tells me all I need to know about why your "explanation" was so tediously superficial.

Oh, sweetie, no, I'm not saying high school is higher education. I'm saying you clearly aren't even capable of reading symbolism in a story at even that level.

Also it's become incredibly clear from your posts in this thread and others that you're really not worth acknowledging. So this will be my last time responding to your bullshit.

Dantis

Figured with the additions of other stuff and Marie that some SLs would change a bit.

Nah, they're all the same as far as I remember.

I'll take bonus dungeon gimmicks over endless hallways and 2x2 square rooms any day. It did kind of make the game drag on too long, though. But not as much as the real last dungeon.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was in like July. By the end of the game I was insanely high-levelled, and even if I wasn't, Rise made me just about invincible. The gimmicks would have created more challenge then, and the forced battles would have alleviated some of the later grinding.

"Resort" to what? I'm pretty sure it's there for the fans they already have. It's just supposed to be fun.

This is such a non-issue.

no shit :) . having some unnecessary/dumb peripheral shit in a game has never really been a deciding factor for me in whether or not i enjoy it overall. to an extent, i've already come to anticipate it :) ...

they'd have to try lots harder than this to arrange it so that i somehow didn't enjoy p4g...

Nah, they're all the same as far as I remember.

I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was in like July. By the end of the game I was insanely high-levelled, and even if I wasn't, Rise made me just about invincible. The gimmicks would have created more challenge then, and the forced battles would have alleviated some of the later grinding.

So I am taking this in the way that I should avoid doing Rise's S Link, at what levels does she give you things?

Uthred

Also it's become incredibly clear from your posts in this thread and others that you're really not worth acknowledging. So this will be my last time responding to your bullshit.

"I can't actually adequately defend my position so I'll imply you cant understand my genius and then ignore you", roger that champ

Astra

Why is this thread so negative!? We went from the Xenoblade stuff, to people being upset over a bit of fanservice. Is the bathscene the only blatant fan service in the new content?

Dantis

So I am taking this in the way that I should avoid doing Rise's S Link, at what levels does she give you things?

No idea. All I know is that she does random super-buffs every now and again, also deflects a fatal blow, and also revives you once per battle if you die.

Also, once see joins the party she joins in on all out attacks. Which looks really lame, because the skull (Which was already a bit lame) turns pink and has pigtails.

Here's some screenshots of the new shameless fanservice scene discussed above. Links because kind of NSFW and also spoilery I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/R47yI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/unF0D.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C3zxS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SmaYs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/S9vcU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/n4cY9.jpg

Smh. I really hate these kind of creepy scenes. P4 in general has more of that ~kawaii*blush*~ nonsense than P3 and I hate it.

I heard someone say once that Nyx charmed Yukari and she used Diarahan on him when he was about to die. That's hilarious. That luckily never happened to me even with Yukari in my party.

Lol, that happened to me. I gave up and I still haven't gone back. So demoralizing.

Dantis

Smh. I really hate these kind of creepy scenes. P4 in general has more of that ~kawaii*blush*~ nonsense than P3 and I hate it.

Lol, that happened to me. I gave up and I still haven't gone back. So demoralizing.

Don't worry, the rest of the game keeps it classy.

Yep, FES was just as pervy as this.

Venfayth

CHIE WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING

yC54Q.png

Top Bottom