• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 now on North American PSN as a PS2 Classic - $9.99

kick51

Banned
You made me go pull my Persona 4 PS2 copy off my shelf..no Dante sticker/logo :p

I don't own Nocturne. What a random thing though...

very random, but kinda cool! even if he weren't Dante the guy from DMC, he still fits in nicely to the game.

more random on that box is "The RPG for the GTA generation" lol wut. still scratching my head over that one 10 years later.

Get old-school memory card converter with Peter Parker PS3 logo so 2007.

Plug PS2 memory card into PS3 adapter, put USB cable into adapter and PS3.

Load P4 on PS3.

Memory Card 2 or 1 should contain save. Then save over at Memory Card 1/2/virtual.

Or copy it to the virtual memory card. Should be read after that.

Curious. Does this work the reverse way?

Like, if I have a ps2 classics save on ps3, can I use the adaptor to put it on a ps2 memory card?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Woah, that works? Everything I've read says that PS2 Classics use a different save system and not the PS3's virtual PS2 memory cards. But if the PS2 Classic title itself can read PS2 memory cards via the USB adapter, I'm all set.

You misunderstand, you want to MOVE the save from the PS2 memory card onto the virtual so the virtual will load up and THEN save again so it moves to the PS2 virtual-virtual memory card (why Sony does it this way for the emulator... I dunno... maybe PS4/future specific over the virtual memory card that the card converter used for PSX/PS2? *shrug*)

Curious. Does this work the reverse way?

Like, if I have a ps2 classics save on ps3, can I use the adaptor to put it on a ps2 memory card?

In theory, yes. I haven't done the reverse, but the memory card in the adapter shows up as "physical" memory card in the XMB. So it's possible AFAIK.

Bought it. Never played 4 but I bought FES on a total whim one day on the PSN store. Never heard of the persona series so it blew me away. Put 67 hours into it. I doubt 4 will be better than FES but hopefully I'm wrong.

Bought it. Never played 4 but I bought FES on a total whim one day on the PSN store. Never heard of the persona series so it blew me away. Put 67 hours into it. I doubt 4 will be better than FES but hopefully I'm wrong.

That depends on what you are looking for in the game, many people like 4 more than FES, but others don't, because I feel like the strengths of 4 is not necessarily the strengths of 3.

Enjoy a crummy 4:3 version with a way worse card based system and less content.

Still an amazing game, I'm sure. But P4: Golden is goddamn beautiful. I've just started playing it and put in nearly 20 hours in the last five days. The Vita version is only $10 more and definitely worth that price difference.

i love P4G as much as any other Vita owner but this attitude that vanilla P4 is shit and has "less content" kind of rubs me the wrong way.

I mean, for 4 years it had all the content P4 ever had.

Maybe he doesn't own a Vita, maybe he wants to play it on his tv. maybe he doesn't care for golden.

Jachaos

I'm not that far into FES but so far I prefer P4G more even though I also absolutely love FES. Great games. I simply love the contrast in atmosphere, soundtrack, visuals, vibe, story, etc. more and they improved a lot on gameplay as well as production values (voice-acting is much more prominent in P4G). So I don't doubt you could be wrong. Maybe FES will remain your favourite though since much of the stuff you experienced for the first time with that game, likewise for P4G for me.

aasoncott

You misunderstand, you want to MOVE the save from the PS2 memory card onto the virtual so the virtual will load up and THEN save again so it moves to the PS2 virtual-virtual memory card (why Sony does it this way for the emulator... I dunno... maybe PS4/future specific over the virtual memory card that the card converter used for PSX/PS2? *shrug*)

Okay, I can move my save from the PS2 to a virtual memory card on the PS3...how do I get it from the virtual memory card to a PS2 Classics internal memory card?

Garland7G

Finally got the damn thing downloaded. The 1st thing I notice is a beginners difficulty, I don't remember that from the original ;)

Edit: apparently its been there all along and I just forgot. ha!

So this is not P4G? It's just running on the PS2 emulator? Why would they release this when they have all the nice P4G assets? I would've paid Atlus a lot more than $10 for that.

BTW, my first and only PS2 download was God Hand (after all the GAF hype). It runs so slow I can barely play -- I have the original PS3 with the onboard PS2 chip, so maybe there's compatibility issues with the emulator? Anyway, I'm not holding out any hope this would perform better.

Garland7G

So this is not P4G? It's just running on the PS2 emulator? Why would they release this when they have all the nice P4G assets? I would've paid Atlus a lot more than $10 for that.

Unfortunately, its not P4G, but the ps2 version. I would have also paid more for P4G (prolly up to 39.99). But, I would not have paid 200+ for it. And that's the reason they didn't release P4G, I suspect it will appear on PS3/4 closer to the P5 release date.

BTW, my first and only PS2 download was God Hand (after all the GAF hype). It runs so slow I can barely play -- I have the original PS3 with the onboard PS2 chip, so maybe there's compatibility issues with the emulator? Anyway, I'm not holding out any hope this would perform better.

I've been playing for a few and so far the fps seems stable.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Unfortunately, its not P4G, but the ps2 version. I would have also paid more for P4G (prolly up to 39.99). But, I would not have paid 200+ for it. And that's the reason they didn't release P4G, I suspect it will appear on PS3/4 closer to the P5 release date.

I've been playing for a few and so far the fps seems stable.

Some how I doubt that considering its a Vita title. Unless they release the Vita TV in the west, thats the only other way you are going to be playing it on a large sized monitor of your choice.

Meia

Unfortunately, its not P4G, but the ps2 version. I would have also paid more for P4G (prolly up to 39.99). But, I would not have paid 200+ for it. And that's the reason they didn't release P4G, I suspect it will appear on PS3/4 closer to the P5 release date..

With all of the other Persona related games coming out before P5, it's too much to hope for that we'll see a P4G on the PS3 before 5 hits.

Of course, I'd love to have a Vita TV so I could play 4G on a big screen, but this is ok too. I did buy a Vita for 4G after all. :p

I sure do hope Atlus reduce the price of P4G on PSN to $19.99 tonight in celebration.

I missed it the last time it was on sale.
And the time before that.

Garland7G

Some how I doubt that considering its a Vita title. Unless they release the Vita TV in the west, thats the only other way you are going to be playing it on a large sized monitor of your choice.

With all of the other Persona related games coming out before P5, it's too much to hope for that we'll see a P4G on the PS3 before 5 hits.

Of course, I'd love to have a Vita TV so I could play 4G on a big screen, but this is ok too. I did buy a Vita for 4G after all. :p

I agree with both of you guys, seeing as how its a vita title after all. But with PlayStation Now coming, who knows if vita titles will be supported. (They may not be, I don't know). Either way, it was just wishful thinking on my part, as I'd love to play it. But not $200+ worth of love ;)

Parakeetman

I agree with both of you guys, seeing as how its a vita title after all. But with PlayStation Now coming, who knows if vita titles will be supported. (They may not be, I don't know). Either way, it was just wishful thinking on my part, as I'd love to play it. But not $200+ worth of love ;)

If anything though its a good sign for you folks in the West that Atlus obviously gives a rats ass about you. Over here in Japan we dont have the same stuff you guys do. Nor has Atlus really said anything about it either, which pissed off Atlus fans here.

P4 had some (very minor) emulation bugs when run on a BC PS3, would be interested to hear from anyone who played it if they managed to fix them for this release. The most noticeable one was the location bar would not show the location name but would be black. Annoying, but no deal breaker.

The other main bug was the save would sometimes fail with an error. Not as big a deal as it sounds, as it would always work on a retry.

Garland7G

If anything though its a good sign for you folks in the West that Atlus obviously gives a rats ass about you. Over here in Japan we dont have the same stuff you guys do. Nor has Atlus really said anything about it either, which pissed off Atlus fans here.
I think this has more to do with Atlus USA being awesome and Atlus JP working on P5..but still...no excuse, really :(tweet em' and be like wtf? ;)
P4 had some (very minor) emulation bugs when run on a BC PS3, would be interested to hear from anyone who played it if they managed to fix them for this release. The most noticeable one was the location bar would not show the location name but would be black. Annoying, but no deal breaker.

The other main bug was the save would sometimes fail with an error. Not as big a deal as it sounds, as it would always work on a retry.

I'm a few days in and haven't run into anything. I have yet to enter combat tho. ;)

Parakeetman

I think this has more to do with Atlus USA being awesome and Atlus JP working on P5..but still...no excuse, really :(tweet em' and be like wtf? ;)

I'm a few days in and haven't run into anything. I have yet to enter combat tho. ;)

In Japan in general they dont give out info or really interact with the fans all that much. Everything has to go through proper channels and what nots. Which is why for the most part its quite boring when put into comparison with the West for example and official twitter chans with publishers.

Its too by the book here basically.

That and the hardliners have already been going apeshit on 2ch forever which companies do read so its not like they dont know whats being said / going on.

Garland7G

In Japan in general they dont give out info or really interact with the fans all that much. Everything has to go through proper channels and what nots. Which is why for the most part its quite boring when put into comparison with the West for example and official twitter chans with publishers.

Its too by the book here basically.

That and the hardliners have already been going apeshit on 2ch forever which companies do read so its not like they dont know whats being said / going on.

;(

Hmm I tend to enjoy JRPGs but I almost never complete them. I wonder if I would be interested enough in beating this game...Hard to resist for just $10

It's an extremely long game, but it seems to be designed to play in chunks. I am talking about the Vita version here, which might have been reworked to make it easier to play on the go.

Parakeetman

It's an extremely long game, but it seems to be designed to play in chunks. I am talking about the Vita version here, which might have been reworked to make it easier to play on the go.

In comparison the vita ver is 10 times easier than the original. Not to mention when it comes to making strong personas with how they reworked the bonus card system.

Garland7G

In comparison the vita ver is 10 times easier than the original. Not to mention when it comes to making strong personas with how they reworked the bonus card system.

Has there been any mention of vita being on ps now? I'm not exactly sure, but the more I think about it the less I think it will actually happen. There is no way they would undercut vita..ugh :/

Garland7G

I uploaded some pics and a video for anyone who wants to see the PSN version.
(I'm not very far into the game)
Here is a video: Persona 4: PSN Version
Here are some pic's:
9NIayFJ.png

rI82Sfy.png

xRZZjsC.png

Parakeetman

Has there been any mention of vita being on ps now? I'm not exactly sure, but the more I think about it the less I think it will actually happen. There is no way they would undercut vita..ugh :/

no idea truthfully as am not following info on that atm.

i-Lo

As Persona newbie, is this a good game to start with and, furthermore, do PSN PS2 classics work on non b/c PS3 models (like the slim)?

As Persona newbie, is this a good game to start with and, furthermore, do PSN PS2 classics work on non b/c PS3 models (like the slim)?
Yeah, either start with this or Persona 3 FES, which is also on PSN. Though I prefer Persona 4.

And yes, these will play on any PS3.

Lesiroth

Are you asking whether Vita will support PS Now, or whether PS Now will have Vita games?
The former is confirmed, the latter I doubt.

i-Lo

Yes (if you don't have a Vita) and Yes.

Yeah, either start with this or Persona 3 FES, which is also on PSN. Though I prefer Persona 4.

And yes, these will play on any PS3.

Thanks.

In terms of lore and potential in-game references, will I be left clueless if I skip FES in favour of 4 or is each game akin to an independent production with its unique set of characters?

Meia

Thanks.

In terms of lore and potential in-game references, will I be left clueless if I skip FES in favour of 4 or is each game akin to an independent production with its unique set of characters?

Each game is completely separate. They take place in the same world(with the events of P3 happening 2 years prior to the events of P4 I think it was), but you won't have the cast from 3 showing up in 4. Some minor cameos take place from minor characters, but nothing you lose out by not playing 3 first(though it is neat to go back and do after).

For example, in May in Persona 4 a home shopping program starts on Sundays, hosted by a character. This character is in Persona 3 as a social link, but he also runs the same shopping program on Sundays in 3 FES as well.

Now of course, once you get through Persona 4, the fighting game Persona 4 Arena continues with the cast of 4 in a new story that takes place after P4, and features most of the cast of Persona 3 as well, so you'd want to play Persona 3 before that one.

Top Bottom