• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 now on North American PSN as a PS2 Classic - $9.99

aasoncott

Okay, here it goes. If anyone thinks this is questionable, let me know and I'll nuke it.

For the benefit of future generations:

1. Obtain a copy of the PS2 memory card with the Persona 4 save (I used uLaunchELF to extract it from the memory card and put it on a USB drive--presumably you could also use data from a PS2 virtual memory card on the PS3, though you'd have to find out how to extract the files from that yourself)
  2. Use PCSX2 to make (and format) a new virtual memory card, giving it an extension of .ps2
  3. Open that new memory card in McMC, using the program to import every file from the dump of your PS2 memory card that starts with "BASLUS-21782" (these are the Persona 4 saves--after importing them, the interface should list them as such)
  4. Rename the memory card from .ps2 to .vmc.
  5. Drag and drop that .vmc onto update_vmc_hashes.exe, after which the file size will probably change slightly
  6. Open PS2 Classics GUI, select the "Encrypt" tab, then open the .vmc you just made--when it prompts you for a filename, save it as SCEVMC0.VME
  7. On your PS3, open the Classics version of Persona 4, then (after the game has loaded) quit
  8. Still on the PS3, browse to "Saved data utility (PS2)", select the new Persona 4 save, and copy it to a USB drive
  9. SERIOUSLY, YOU'RE ALMOST DONE
  10. DON'T LOSE HOPE
  11. Open that USB drive on your computer. You should see a directory called PS3, and inside that EXPORT, and inside that PS2SD, and inside that NPUD21782--take that file you made using PS2 Classics GUI, SCEVMC0.VME, and drop it in that folder
  12. It should ask you if you're alright copying it over an existing file
  13. Of course you are
  14. Stick that USB drive back in your PS3, and browse to it under "Saved data utility (PS2)"--you should see your shiny new (old?) Persona 4 save on the USB drive
  15. Hit triangle, then copy--again, it will ask you if you're okay copying it over your existing save, and yes, you should do exactly that
  16. Load up Persona 4
  17. Sacrifice a goat (if you haven't already)
  18. Curse my name (if it didn't work, because I won't be able to help you)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
After an entire evening and morning of messing with different tools, I finally managed to get my PS2 Persona 4 save working with the new Classics version of the game. It was a pretty complicated process that isn't really properly outlined anywhere (or, at least, outlined in a way that actually works), and I'd like to share it so that other people wanting to continue their game can actually do so...but is it safe to post about it? It involves messing with the PS3's virtual memory card encryption, which as far as I know is okay to do and doesn't involve any tools that are used for anything other than modifying saved games. Thoughts?

You should be fine. Back when Fire Pro Wrestling Returns came out, myself and a couple other members hashed out how to convert saves to the PS2 Classics format here on GAF. It's fine.

caleb1915

UH...
Could you have chosen any more spoiler-ish photos. Fucking hell, man.

Have you played Persona 4? If you haven't dont worry, the fact that you have glasses, a teddy bear friend, and a guy talking to you named Yosuke is handled within the first hour of the game. The fact that you use glowy cards is also a fact present in the entire series, that's like bitching about a Halo screenshot that shows Master Chief holding a gun.

If you have played Persona 4, then fucking hell man. Could you have chosen a more petty thing to bitch about to someone who uploaded a video of how the game looks and runs all out of the goodness of his heart?

If you're joking, which is a possibility, then ignore this. Well, let's face it you're probably going to ignore this post anyways :p

Edit: Grrr, that's what I get for typing out my reply while watching Community, what was the original image?

bobawesome

I don't think that's too bad at all... There are much worse things that have been casually thrown about in the FFX HD OT.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The good(?) news is that you can still get the English text and voices in the Japanese version of P4A.

Woah, you're back. <3

(PSP Eternal Punishment re-translation plz. ;_; Old-school 90's EP translation too hard to stomach after Fan Translation of IS and IS PSP translations. ;_;)

I'll probably throw $10 at Sony/Atlus for the digital version despite having the disc. I really wish there was a way to get the PS2 iso dumps sold on PSN off the PS3 onto PC for emulator uses. Would be nice for the sake of convince and not having to bend over backwards to dump the DVD's I own if they have a digital version on PSN already.

Okay, I can move my save from the PS2 to a virtual memory card on the PS3...how do I get it from the virtual memory card to a PS2 Classics internal memory card?

The memory card should be read as if it was the virtual-virtual memory card that the PS2 PSN bought titles use instead of the XMB/original virtual memory card.

Basically:

Card converter->XMB: Physical PS2 Memory Card is shown/Copy to a "New Virtual Memory Card (PS2)" on XMB->Boot P4 on PS3->Load Virtual Memory Card->Memory Card save should show up->Save point nearby since you just loaded->Resave->Quit to XMB and see if the Virtual Memory Card (that shows the XMB icon instead of the old XMB PS2 memory card logo) pops up for P4 individually.

If it does, your PS2 save for P4 should be there.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I don't think that's too bad at all... There are much worse things that have been casually thrown about in the FFX HD OT.

It's not, at all, since it happens about an hour or so into the game and is basically the tutorial "boss".

caleb1915

It's not, at all, since it happens about an hour or so into the game and is basically the tutorial "boss".

Yeah, that's a weird thing to complain about still. If you haven't played it then you'll have no idea what that doppleganger means. And if you have then youll know that this is a tutorial boss fight.

Conan-san

So yeah to confirm they haven't done any region locking on this?

I know that sounds stupid but, funnily enough, that's what happens when you're the only company using PSN to release things that region locked a thing on PSN.

Top Bottom