• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 now on North American PSN as a PS2 Classic - $9.99

Garland7G

Now of course, once you get through Persona 4, the fighting game Persona 4 Arena continues with the cast of 4 in a new story that takes place after P4, and features most of the cast of Persona 3 as well, so you'd want to play Persona 3 before that one.

This part is helpful, thx.

Ouroboros

I uploaded some pics and a video for anyone who wants to see the PSN version.
(I'm not very far into the game)
Here is a video: Persona 4: PSN Version
Here are some pic's:

Never heard Chie's original voice. Maybe it is because I'm used to Golden's voice but I prefer Golden over original. Thanks for the vid!

Also, love the avatar..."...go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over "

i-Lo

Each game is completely separate. They take place in the same world(with the events of P3 happening 2 years prior to the events of P4 I think it was), but you won't have the cast from 3 showing up in 4. Some minor cameos take place from minor characters, but nothing you lose out by not playing 3 first(though it is neat to go back and do after).

For example, in May in Persona 4 a home shopping program starts on Sundays, hosted by a character. This character is in Persona 3 as a social link, but he also runs the same shopping program on Sundays in 3 FES as well.

Now of course, once you get through Persona 4, the fighting game Persona 4 Arena continues with the cast of 4 in a new story that takes place after P4, and features most of the cast of Persona 3 as well, so you'd want to play Persona 3 before that one.

Thanks mate. I have heard the P4 made advancements in streamlining certain aspects of the game and as such, it makes me ponder whether I can enjoy playing P3 FES if I start with P4.

Meia

Thanks mate. I have heard the P4 made advancements in streamlining certain aspects of the game and as such, it makes me ponder whether I can enjoy playing P3 FES if I start with P4.

The main battle system in terms of combat is called the "1 More!" system, and it's slightly different in each.

The core idea of it is your characters and enemies are strong to some elemental attacks, and weak to others. If you hit a weakness, you do more damage, knock the opponent down, and are able to immediately attack again with the same character. The other added benefit is by knocking down all of the enemies, you can initiate an "All Out Attack" which is all of your characters dogpiling on the all of the enemies, doing a ton of damage to each one(in a game where mana conservation is somewhat important, the ability to do free area-of-effect damage is important).

In Persona 3, something knocked down had to use up a turn to get back on their feet again, so it was effectively wasting a turn. Also, to get the benefit of "1 More!", you have to ONLY hit an enemy's weakness. In other words, if 3 are weak to fire, and one is weak to wind, using a Maragi(all fire) spell will hit 3 and knock them down, but not knock down the 4th, so no free turn(this also happens if a spell misses).

In Persona 4, being knocked down doesn't waste a turn(instead attacking something on the ground already has a chance to "Dizzy" it, which is the turn waster), and you only need to touch an enemy with a weakness to go again.

Of course, in Persona 3:FES you have no direct control of your party, only telling them what you'd like them to focus on(knocking enemies down, healing/supporting, going all out, conserving SP, etc), while you could control every action of every party member of 4.

There's more streamlining with 4 other than this, like every party member in 4 being a social link which wasn't the case in 3, but the combat is a major hurdle for some.

i-Lo

The main battle system in terms of combat is called the "1 More!" system, and it's slightly different in each.

The core idea of it is your characters and enemies are strong to some elemental attacks, and weak to others. If you hit a weakness, you do more damage, knock the opponent down, and are able to immediately attack again with the same character. The other added benefit is by knocking down all of the enemies, you can initiate an "All Out Attack" which is all of your characters dogpiling on the all of the enemies, doing a ton of damage to each one(in a game where mana conservation is somewhat important, the ability to do free area-of-effect damage is important).

In Persona 3, something knocked down had to use up a turn to get back on their feet again, so it was effectively wasting a turn. Also, to get the benefit of "1 More!", you have to ONLY hit an enemy's weakness. In other words, if 3 are weak to fire, and one is weak to wind, using a Maragi(all fire) spell will hit 3 and knock them down, but not knock down the 4th, so no free turn(this also happens if a spell misses).

In Persona 4, being knocked down doesn't waste a turn(instead attacking something on the ground already has a chance to "Dizzy" it, which is the turn waster), and you only need to touch an enemy with a weakness to go again.

Of course, in Persona 3:FES you have no direct control of your party, only telling them what you'd like them to focus on(knocking enemies down, healing/supporting, going all out, conserving SP, etc), while you could control every action of every party member of 4.

There's more streamlining with 4 other than this, like every party member in 4 being a social link which wasn't the case in 3, but the combat is a major hurdle for some.

Interesting. Thanks for the informative reply.

Meia

The battle system is called Press Turn.

No, Press Turn is in SMT I thought.

Press Turn

-Both sides have their own turns separately, instead of mixed in based on AGI like 1 More

-If you hit an enemy's weakness(or crit), you get another turn for your side(and your side has a basic turn order for all of them, so the one that hit a weakness may not be the one to attack again)

-If you hit an enemy's strength in any way, you're penalized by losing some turns on your side.

Garland7G

Never heard Chie's original voice. Maybe it is because I'm used to Golden's voice but I prefer Golden over original. Thanks for the vid!

Also, love the avatar..."...go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over "
NP, I'll put one up when I get into combat, I'm curious to see how the FPS holds up. And thx ;)
thanks, this is 4:3 or stretched?
The only thing I'm worried about ps2 emulated titles it's that the texts looks a little blurry

Well, I was afraid it was gonna be stretched too, but it's not, it upscaled nicely and the text looks clean.

ug4e7Zp.png

Kinyou

Interesting that they changed the voices. It doesn't seem so bad in the video

edit: ah, seems like it was more done out of consistency, and not because the actors were bad

I guess they couldn't get the original actors at the time

Meia

Interesting that they changed the voices. It doesn't seem so bad in the video

edit: ah, seems like it was more done out of consistency, and not because the actors were bad

I guess they couldn't get the original actors at the time

Not sure what was the deal with original Teddie, but original Chie's VA retired from the business iirc. So they wanted to do a LOT more vocal work(in Persona 4, none of the social link meetings are voiced, in Golden, all of the rank 9 and 10 events are for example(this is of course not even going into all of the new scenes)), so they couldn't just slap in a new VA for new stuff and keep the old one for the rest.

The puzzling thing isn't necessarily those, but the new Naoto from the P4 Animation side of things, and why they had to do that. Kanji get switched out halfway through that one for scheduling conflicts too(the anime had a lot of problems with it from beginning to end).

sensui-tomo

Not sure what was the deal with original Teddie, but original Chie's VA retired from the business iirc. So they wanted to do a LOT more vocal work(in Persona 4, none of the social link meetings are voiced, in Golden, all of the rank 9 and 10 events are for example(this is of course not even going into all of the new scenes)), so they couldn't just slap in a new VA for new stuff and keep the old one for the rest.

The puzzling thing isn't necessarily those, but the new Naoto from the P4 Animation side of things, and why they had to do that. Kanji get switched out halfway through that one for scheduling conflicts too(the anime had a lot of problems with it from beginning to end).

troy baker was either iirc was doing either Last of us or having a honeymoon since he got married around that time( i believe its the honeymoon and then we got his voice replacement, the guy who voiced chrom and that dude from SMT IV(going to be funny if the two of them have to talk to one another in smt x fe if that wasnt canceled)and naoto was voiced by the same va who voiced the teacher (not moroka)

ohlawd

troy baker was either iirc was doing either Last of us or having a honeymoon since he got married around that time( i believe its the honeymoon and then we got his voice replacement, the guy who voiced chrom and that dude from SMT IV(going to be funny if the two of them have to talk to one another in smt x fe if that wasnt canceled)and naoto was voiced by the same va who voiced the teacher (not moroka)
Matthew Mercer <3

Erasus

that compatability list doesn't scream "open it up to discs" to me at all

Well, have the user turn it on in the system settings with some THIS WONT WORK FOR ALL GAMES message. Its not like the system or game gets destroyed for crashing.

Dunan

Is P4 Arena the infamous "only region-locked PS3 game" or am I thinking of something else?

I have a Japanese PS3, and after just finishing P4 Golden and loving it, I'll want to play P4A at some point. But the English translation in Golden was so good that I think I'd prefer that over the Japanese original.

NichM

Banned
Is P4 Arena the infamous "only region-locked PS3 game" or am I thinking of something else?

I have a Japanese PS3, and after just finishing P4 Golden and loving it, I'll want to play P4A at some point. But the English translation in Golden was so good that I think I'd prefer that over the Japanese original.

The good(?) news is that you can still get the English text and voices in the Japanese version of P4A.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Way of the samurai also had an issue cept on slim models. Thankfully hardly anyone noticed apparently since nobody remembers that.

Im seriously finding it weird you people are worrying about FPS on a PS2 title. As long as it does not turn into a slideshow, dont really see what the issue is.

Dunan

The good(?) news is that you can still get the English text and voices in the Japanese version of P4A.

No, that's good news for me. Lots of bilingual people like the original language, but P4 was one of those games where the English translation is so good that I want to see how they rendered it.

Amazon.jp has it for under $18 used, so I'll probably pick that one up eventually.

UH...
Could you have chosen any more spoiler-ish photos. Fucking hell, man.

Is the joke whooshing over my head? This scene is like an hour or so into the game, with dozens of hours left to go.

dan2026

Can't see any point in this now Golden exists.

It improved literally everything. Graphics, gameplay, amount of content, the interface.
I don't know how I could go back.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
No, that's good news for me. Lots of bilingual people like the original language, but P4 was one of those games where the English translation is so good that I want to see how they rendered it.

Amazon.jp has it for under $18 used, so I'll probably pick that one up eventually.

Is the joke whooshing over my head? This scene is like an hour or so into the game, with dozens of hours left to go.

Not exactly though, dude does have a point. Screen shots could have been taken from non-story centric parts in the game. You can warn people about video footage ahead of time, but a screenshot is right there for everyone to see unless you make it a link instead of an image.

AkuMifune

Banned

It improved literally everything. Graphics, gameplay, amount of content, the interface.

I agree 100% and still have this thing in my cart.

What is wrong with you .gif

Dragon

Banned

How many more people own a PS3 than a Vita? Persona 5 is coming out on PS3,it makes a ton of sense.

wmlk

There is a much larger install base on the PS3, regardless of how many people get this PS2 Classic.

Just making sure here, but The Golden is still the definitive version right?

Yeah, it makes everything look better while adding a gratuitous amount of content.

Meia

Not exactly though, dude does have a point. Screen shots could have been taken from non-story centric parts in the game. You can warn people about video footage ahead of time, but a screenshot is right there for everyone to see unless you make it a link instead of an image.

That's.....not much of a point. That's literally just before the very first battle in the game like an hour and a half in. Nothing in the pics is in context. SPOILERS PERSONA 4 HAS SHADOWS AND PERSONAs ZOMG, ya know?

I mean, I know what the screens are because I know the context, but random screens are probably safe.

Atlas157

No, Press Turn is in SMT I thought.
Press Turn is SMT3, 4, DDS1/2.
1 More! is P3/P4.
hahahah you wish modern Persona had Press Turn.

According to GiantBomb, the style used in Persona is still considered the Turn Press system even though there are differences.

The Press Turn system in Persona 3/4 isn't exactly how it is in Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga, but it does have some of those mechanics from those games.

According to GiantBomb, the style used in Persona is still considered the Turn Press system even though there are differences.

The Press Turn system in Persona 3/4 isn't exactly how it is in Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga, but it does have some of those mechanics from those games.

1more is loosely based off of Press Turn, but it's fair game to call them different battle systems considering the flow of battle and how turns are handled are completely different.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'll throw Wikis all day.

Wikipedia says it does.

"similarities to."

Regardless, my point is that they are different enough to be classified as such. FF3 and FF4 are largely similar in battle systems except that the turns are calculated as a rolling bar that fills up rather than static turns. Everything else the same, but FF3 isn't "ATB."

Press Turn swaps turns between party and enemy, in that each side does everything they can before the other side gets a chance. Weaknesses and Defenses can extend or negate turns.

One More! has everyone moving whenever their turn comes around, and hitting a weakness only extends that player's turn until they miss/mess up or get an All-Out Attack.

Sure, they have similarities, but they are sufficiently different enough, I think.

Atlas157

Wikipedia says it's similar to Press Turn; it doesn't say it's PT. Do you even English, broseph?

From my earlier post.

Do you even English, broseph?

To me the similarities are enough for me to consider it PT. Let's just agree to disagree.

I'm having issues with Persona 4 on PS3. Every time I enter the TV the white screen with the black TV outlines lag a lot. Is that normal? I know it doesn't happen on the PS2 version.

aasoncott

After an entire evening and morning of messing with different tools, I finally managed to get my PS2 Persona 4 save working with the new Classics version of the game. It was a pretty complicated process that isn't really properly outlined anywhere (or, at least, outlined in a way that actually works), and I'd like to share it so that other people wanting to continue their game can actually do so...but is it safe to post about it? It involves messing with the PS3's virtual memory card encryption, which as far as I know is okay to do and doesn't involve any tools that are used for anything other than modifying saved games. Thoughts?

kick51

Banned
After an entire evening and morning of messing with different tools, I finally managed to get my PS2 Persona 4 save working with the new Classics version of the game. It was a pretty complicated process that isn't really properly outlined anywhere (or, at least, outlined in a way that actually works), and I'd like to share it so that other people wanting to continue their game can actually do so...but is it safe to post about it? It involves messing with the PS3's virtual memory card encryption, which as far as I know is okay to do and doesn't involve any tools that are used for anything other than modifying saved games. Thoughts?

sounds fine. no piracy or anything.

wonder if it could work in reverse too! I need to rescue some saves from PS2 classics.

Top Bottom