• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 now on North American PSN as a PS2 Classic - $9.99

SlickVic

The Chie war is kind of hilarious, especially the hyperbole of some of these replies. If you played P4 first, you probably prefer old Chie. If you played P4G first, you probably like new Chie just fine. I fall in the later category, and have since heard a lot of the old voice work in the Giant Bomb's P4 Endurance Run as well. I can see the appeal of the old voice, though since my main P4 experience is defined with Chie with her new voice, that's the one I feel more familiar with, and therefore prefer.

I think there are definitely cases (especially in anime dubs) where voices don't match the character very well, making the whole thing off putting. However, I feel Atlas are pros with localization, and I generally trust their judgment with voice casting.

tensuke

P4G will remain king for the forever, but if they release P4 as a PS2 classic on PS4, you bet I'm there!

Nexas

Just checking, but you did play Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment to say something like that, right?

Isn't one of the big complaints with Persona 2 that Tatusuya and Maya are way less compelling as silent protagonist than as voiced party members? I played about 30 hours of Innocent Sin and wouldn't exactly say Tatsuya's personality really shines through. P3 and P4 gives the player way more dialogue choices which allows the protagonist's personality to shine more easily IMO.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The Chie war is kind of hilarious, especially the hyperbole of some of these replies. If you played P4 first, you probably prefer old Chie. If you played P4G first, you probably like new Chie just fine. I fall in the later category, and have since heard a lot of the old voice work in the Giant Bomb's P4 Endurance Run as well. I can see the appeal of the old voice, though since my main P4 experience is defined with Chie with her new voice, that's the one I feel more familiar with, and therefore prefer.

I think there are definitely cases (especially in anime dubs) where voices don't match the character very well, making the whole thing off putting. However, I feel Atlas are pros with localization, and I generally trust their judgment with voice casting.

I played OG first and never liked Chie's actress, always felt out of place. Not to say she was bad, just didn't felt the way I perceived her character. New VA fit it better, although there were some rough spots.

Phii

Banned
Portable is better because point and click.

Search your heart. You know it rings true.

Gotta agree here; it was executed just fine for PSP.

P3P and P3 FES are both good, sadly there's no P3 definitive edition out there.

Finalow

As does every Persona-related thread. :)
art-maya3.jpg

(nope)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I really don't see how it's even a debate. Unless old Chie was the only reason you liked Persona 4, I can't imagine why you'd prefer P4 to P4G. There's simply SO much more content, and everything about Marie is fantastic.

The superior version of Persona 3 is fes emulated on pcsx2. I bought both, the portable one first and was taken aback at the inferior presentation. I then found out fes had anime cut scenes and 3d character models. needless to say, for now the emulated version is the best.

Uthred

I played a fan undub of the original PS4 so the P4G Chie was the first english Chie I'd heard, clearly I'm missing out on having a firm opinion on it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
ShadowYu.gif

Ooo, is that from Ultimate Suplex Hold?

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. Not only was Marie a great character that added one of the more compelling story arcs, she fleshed out the other characters better with her interactions with them. She felt like a natural fit despite being added into a new edition of the game.

kewlmyc

Man that is miles better than the emo hair flipper we got.

Isn't having no emotions/being stoic (which I would describe P3MC as) the exact opposite of emo?

I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me. Not only was Marie a great character that added one of the more compelling story arcs, she fleshed out the other characters better with her interactions with them. She felt like a natural fit despite being added into a new edition of the game.

He's laughing since most people here hate Marie for being shallow, having a bad social link, and for being a bad poet.

Neoxon

Can they add an option to replace Chie & Teddie's voices? I'm too used to their new voice actors (Erin Fitzgerald & Sam Riegel respectively).

Before people cry fowl on my opinion of Chie, she's supposed to be full of energy. Erin conveys that side of her MUCH better than the OG Chie. Plus Erin's Chie is twice as adorable when she's shy.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, it's from Ultimax.

And I suppose that was a reaction to most people I've seen pretty much having the opposite opinion of her character than yours. I guess I don't have a particularly strong opinion of Marie either way, but I wasn't too into her personality or poetry.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
He's laughing since most people here hate Marie for being shallow, having a bad social link, and for being a bad poet.

Well, she made my experience better. I don't see what's so bad about her Social Link at all. She's really not any more shallow than half of the P4 main cast.

Yeah, it's from Ultimax.

And I suppose that was a reaction to most people I've seen pretty much having the opposite opinion of her character than yours. I guess I don't have a particularly strong opinion of Marie either way, but I wasn't too into her personality or poetry.

I could take or leave her poetry. I thought it was fine for what they were trying to do for her character. She's a bit of tsundere trope, but P4 is filled with tropes, and I don't mind them as long as they're done well.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Allright, a bit on the nitpicking side but a fair point, I meant they're avatars for the player, not strictly silent like Chrono or Gordon Freeman. But my point still stands. FeMC is just a skin with the personality you want her to have (same as the male, I'm not a mysoginist I swear!!1).
You absolutely, positively have no idea what you're talking about.

The entire dialogue between feMC and the supporting characters/social links is totally different from the MC's in many cases. Many of the social links are with entirely different characters among the two paths.

In no universe is that "just a skin."

Before people cry fowl on my opinion of Chie, she's supposed to be full of energy. Erin conveys that side of her MUCH better than the OG Chie. Plus Erin's Chie is twice as adorable when she's shy.
Chie's supposed to be the average, normal character. She was explicitly created to be a person you could actually feel like could exist. The original Chie's voice does that perfectly--she has some bad reads, but the voice is "regular ass teenager." New Chie sounds like "spunky anime stereotype." That's my feeling on the matter.

Though I'm also like the one guy who really likes Teddie's original voice.

Another P4 thread devolves into a Chie battle... What a surprise. :p
My first exposure was with Golden so her newer voice doesn't bother me. In fact I like it a lot. Actually after hearing clips of her old voice I always wondered how that voice would have fit into P4 Arena...

Heh, I have a strict code of saving portable games for commutes (I have 2.5 hours of commute everyday, so that's important) and I'm breaking it every now and then for P4G, it's just incredibly good. I only remember breaking this rule for 999's true ending in the past.

Neoxon

Chie's supposed to be the average, normal character. She was explicitly created to be a person you could actually feel like could exist. The original Chie's voice does that perfectly--she has some bad reads, but the voice is "regular ass teenager." New Chie sounds like "spunky anime stereotype." That's my feeling on the matter.

I'm just going by how she's conveyed in Japanese, which I believe Erin plays closer to (consistency between the performances across languages).

Plus, OG Chie sounds a tad too old.

Nah, listen to some of the Japanese, she's way more spunky anime girl than regular.

Hell, her tagline in P4 Arena is "The Spunky Dragon with Deadly Legs"
Case in point

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Nah, listen to some of the Japanese, she's way more spunky anime girl than regular.

*checks* Hmm Teddies voice in Golden doesn't sound different enough from regular to be an issue to me... As for New versus Old Chie, as I mentioned earlier, the only problem I have with both is that the acting is bad from both. Either they were both incapable of hitting their lines, or the voice director was shit... But then again others managed to do them just fine... so take your pick, maybe a combo of the two (inexperienced voice director worked better with the more skilled voice talent).

I'm just going by how she's conveyed in Japanese, which I believe Erin plays closer to (consistency between the performances across languages).

I really couldn't care less what her Japanese voice sounds like, if she's a spunky hyperactive squeaky case there then it's the wrong choice there too.

EDIT: The Arena taglines are intentionally over the top. I'm not saying Chie isn't supposed to be spunky--she is. But to play it up as a caricature is the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned.

Andrefpvs

*checks* Hmm Teddies voice in Golden doesn't sound different enough from regular to be an issue to me... As for New versus Old Chie, as I mentioned earlier, the only problem I have with both is that the acting is bad from both. Either they were both incapable of hitting their lines, or the voice director was shit... But then again others managed to do them just fine... so take your pick, maybe a combo of the two (inexperienced voice director worked better with the more skilled voice talent).

If there's something the voice director at PCB Productions isn't, it's shit.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I dunno, I think new Chie sounds more like a teenager, but it's just that. A prototypical girl teenager voice that you couldn't pick out of a crowd.

OG Chie's voice maybe ain't the best fit for the role, she sounds a bit older than the target, but it has a uniqueness and a personality to it. You hear that voice, you'd instantly associate that performance. A reading overheard in New Chie voice would conjure a hazy cloud of a hundred spunky anime girl roles.

I really couldn't care less what her Japanese voice sounds like, if she's a spunky hyperactive squeaky case there then it's the wrong choice there too.

EDIT: The Arena taglines are intentionally over the top. I'm not saying Chie isn't supposed to be spunky--she is. But to play it up as a caricature is the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned.
Um, what? You're telling us that the actual creators of the character are wrong? That's not your right to decide.

Guess Who

Banned
Um, what? You're telling us that the actual creators of the character are wrong? That's not your right to decide.

I interpret Chie as a brooding, depressed child who loves steak so much because it lets her eat away her sorrow. Death of the Author means my interpretation is as valid as any other.

That's Chiecana.

Case in point

Japanese Chie sounds like a doggy chew toy, same as Rise; it's that fake-two-octaves-up thing so many girls seem to do over there intentionally or some thing. Nerve wracking.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I interpret Chie as a brooding, depressed child who loves steak so much because it lets her eat away her sorrow. Death of the Author means my interpretation is as valid as any other.

So dark.

She should be in Persona 5: Darker than Dark the college years.

Top Bottom