• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 came out in the west six months ago. How do you feel about it now?

Gator86

Had a lot of fun with it. It overstayed its welcome by about a dozen hours and I haven't thought about it since beating it though.

#6 on my game of the year list right now.

Theosmeo

Of the modern persona games(P3 on) i don't think it edges out P3 yet but its really good.

It's kinda like P4 but without being as boring and hard to get into. Its a fun adventure with style and personality and i don't regret the 100 hours i dumped on it at all.

P3>>P5>>>>>>>>>>>P4/PQ

RedZaraki

Banned
It was an amazing game that I enjoyed as much as Persona 4, maybe more.

It and Zelda are my two Game of the Year nominees until further notice.

I thought it was great, and that it could've been genuinely up there with the other GOATs if it hadn't been for the shoddy effort put in to the English translation... Far too many clunky lines and grammatical errors took off some of the sheen provided by the incredible style and OST.

A very good game, but one that I'm amazed how much is losing against other games released this same year from my experience. Persona 4 and 3 were more memorable at the time I played them, then again that was many years ago.

If I were to add games not released in 2017 but that I got to finally play them, the outlook is even worse.

I'm not excited for more of the same 2,3 or 5 years from now on. Bring on new experiences and changes to the formula.

KorrZ

Great game, I love the OST and still listen to it from time to time.

It didn't have the same raw impact on me as P4 but I think that's just down to the fact that the games are very similar and P4 came first. Objectively looking at it P5 is an improvement in pretty much every way that you can measure that isn't down to subjective preference like characters or story.

jiggles

Banned
Incredibly well-developed, let down by a shoddy localisation effort and a series of squandered opportunities with the story.

It had the potential to be the series' greatest hands down, but instead only goes as far as to sit alongside 3 and 4, and that's why it's a little disappointing.

sotojuan

My second best game of the year. The writing/story is not perfect... but I got what I expected. I really like the combat system which is why I am playing SMTIV now.

Good game, not in the running for goty for me, it was too safe a sequel to Persona 4 for that.

The OST is great though. Rivers in the Desert, Whims of fate and Life will change are going to be in my routine for a long time.

Zomba13

Only got around to finishing it last month but I loved it. I think P4 is still my favourite but P5 definitely second.

vkrili

Held back by an incredibly uneven localization. There are parts of the game that are very well localized in clever ways, and way more parts with sentences that look like they were written by first year high-schoolers. Sentences that were voiced.

BiggNife

I really enjoyed what I've played but I've put 60 hours in and the thought of playing another 50 terrifies me.

There's just so much. Probably too much.

Great game! Second for my game of the year and definitely top 5 for game of the generations. Love it, though I prefer the characters of Persona 4 more.
Might go back and platinum it in the future.

Zaru

The game gave me a lot of "man, I really like what they've done here" moments with gameplay/system ideas that will probably influence other games in the near future. I enjoyed my 90 something hours with it and would play through it again if I had that kind of time for replays.

BTA

Played for 116 hours. Greatly enjoyed most of it. Did use SP accessories to get around having to ever care about that. Probably buying the "cheaper" vinyl version of the OST.

But I was really let down by the story, especially as I was spoiled for the bigger twists that did not get resolved well, in that they're suddenly bizarrely dropped so by knowing the twist I really did know everything.

Linkark07

Banned
One of the best games of this year for sure. Cast was likable and the story was kind of interesting; better than 4 for sure.

Main problem is it gets too long for its own good. Last months start becoming a chore to play, and the last two dungeons you want it to end already. Talking about that, I also felt dungeons were too long. Only ones I was entertained were
Madarame, Futaba and Sae's Palaces

Felt Mementos was only added for artificially increase playtime, despite it be an important part of the story.

Overall, an excellent game but didn't live the expectations I was hoping after P3 and P4.

I thought it was brilliant. One of those very rare games for me that, even though it lasted a long ass time, I didn't eventually come to resent it for doing so. In fact by the end credits, I felt a tinge of sadness that it was all over.

It's got its problems for sure (the game has about one song, and no full-grown man should allow a friggin' cat to tell him when to go to bed), but for me it was the best JRPG I've played in years.

Mohasus

A disappointment.

P3 and P4 are two of my favorite games ever, so I had high expectations of 5. While the combat and graphics improved, pretty much everything else took a step or two back.
The story didn't grab me and the only confidant that I truly enjoyed was the Death (doc) one. Palaces are a pain in the ass, I could just run past the enemies before, but now if I try to do this, I'll end up raising the security level.

It isn't a bad game, but it just didn't grab me. I gave up after the sixth palace, the mysteries were revealed and I didn't care about it anymore.

Auctopus

Got it on release, stopped playing months ago after I got the final party members 'cause the game structure's repetitiveness got to me.

SeanTSC

Absolutely loved it. The style, the characters, battle system, everything. The only part of the game that made me feel bad was saying No to everyone but Makoto.

Still torn between P5 and Nier Automata for GOTY for me with Zelda being a very distant third.

It went from a game I was insanely hyped for to a game I might drop.

I was debating whether it was better than 4, and in some ways it is. But it drags too much and is far too repetitive. I don't care if it gets amazing after dungeon five, 4G never bored me like this.

Reset

The dungeons were too long. I'm not a fan of spending 5+ hours in a dungeon and the battle system is to weak for it to carry that section. For the next games they need to either shorten the dungeons and/or change the battle system. It was the worst part of the game.

The story was dumb looking back at it, and the game felt rushed near the middle/end even though it's a 100+ hour game. Haru and her entire dungeon could have been completely cut and the game would have hardly changed, oh and I wasn't a fan of the twist too. Game also needed more social events like in Persona 4, the characters/party felt weaker. FFXV managed to make me care more about the main part in 30 hours than Persona 5 which was 100+ hours long.

Game was just a step down from Persona 4.

Vinc

It's my second favorite game of the year, right behind Zelda. It's the best overall Persona game, though it has weaker character development in comparison to 4.

Kyoufu

It's good but I fucking hate Morgana and the whole day/night cycle nonsense. Can't even take a shit without time passing significantly.

Kuraudo

Banned
I absolutely loved it. The pacing was off a lot and it was particularly rough in the August/September, but the last couple dozen hours more than made up for the dip. Not sure if I'll ever replay it, but it annoys me there were some confidants I got to 8 or 9 and never got to see the end of, so maybe I'll return to it some day.

RalchAC

Persona 3 and (especially) 4 themes are universal.

Persona 5 themes aren't. Much of the issues brought by the game are, if not exclusive, much more prominent in Japanese culture than in the West.

Which doesn't mean the game is bad. It probably is the best out of the Hashino games (P3 to 5) overall, but it's the most Japanese too.

Hearing a friend of mine that took part in an student exchange program in Japan and lived there for a year talking about her experience showed me how on point the game was in a lot of stuff that felt quite unbelievable at first.

Fancolors

Not a bad game, but far from being my favorite Persona. I like more than I like 1 but every other game in the franchise just suits my tastes better.

A disappointment.

P3 and P4 are two of my favorite games ever, so I had high expectations of 5. While the combat and graphics improved, pretty much everything else took a step or two back.
The story didn't grab me and the only confidant that I truly enjoyed was the Death (doc) one. Palaces are a pain in the ass, I could just run past the enemies before, but now if I try to do this, I'll end up raising the security level. Negotiating with demons suck and loading times on PS3 weren't the best.

It isn't a bad game, but it just didn't grab me. I gave up after the sixth palace, the mysteries were revealed and I didn't care about it anymore.

Other than P3, this is all stuff I entirely agree with. Doc was best. Negotiating with demons sucks and running past them isn't viable anymore.

wrowa

Indifferent. Didn’t finish it yet (and honestly have no desire to go back), but story and cast didn’t appeal to me the same way P4 and P3 did. The dungeons are nicely improved, but in general I feel like Persona 5’s gameplay is not much improved over its predecessors. Feels mostly like more of the same to me, which is fine, but I hoped for a bit more after all these years. Still a great game, though.

Plasma

Banned
Still the best game I've played all year and I don't see that changing, I want to play it again but at the same time I also want to wait for whatever the updated version of the game is.

Would still vote for GOTY 2017

Would still be making tired meme jokes about it.

Would still be listening to the OST.

Would still be looking forward to spinoff sequels.

Funny story—I've been playing this game in bits and pieces since launch and I'm finally almost at the end.

I think it's a decent game, but I'm probably never going to replay it. The characters didn't hit home in the same way the Persona 4 cast did. The incredible characterization is what really made Persona 4 amazing.

corin7

Neo Member
I bought it day one and haven't played a minute of it yet. Too many games, too busy. Adulting is hard.

Swiggins

My GOTY candidate so far, loved the characters, loved the OST, loved the little twists and turns towards the end of the story. There were a couple of hiccups in the dungeons and the beginning drags on a lot longer than it should have, but overall it doesn't diminish the final product that much.

A lot of the social links were brilliant IMO, there were a few that were kinda hit and miss but overall an improvement over P4. Combat is a night and day difference between the two, P5 makes it almost impossible to go back and play P4 or P4G.

The design is what really blew me away with P5, it's quite possibly one of the sharpest looking games I've ever seen from a style standpoint. Everything in it is so sleek and stylish, it's got a very unique look to it.

I have a feeling that like P4, P5 will garner a huge cult following as time goes on. Hopefully large enough that we won't have to wait a decade for P6.

I bought it day one and haven't played a minute of it yet. Too many games, too busy. Adulting is hard.

P5 sat in my backlog for several months before I finally got around to playing it. It's a daunting game to get through, but absolutely worth it.

Abdiel

I loved it. What a start to my year, with horizon and nier and that. Fantastic game. Got the plat for all three of those games.

Top Bottom