• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - First details from Dengeki

sn00zer

High school again...

tumblr_mlp29qg5C91rkj8fwo1_400.gif

Ding

Sophia

I don't expect much in groundbreaking decisions from developers of long running franchises. Specifically when it comes to long time running franchises. DMC was one of the few I was surprised they went with that route, but that was a publisher deciding to let a western developer take control.

Comfort-zone is what I perceive as a proper word for developers. Western developers have that too with long running franchises. Biggest change in recent years was leaving WWII for COD.

So no I wasn't expecting it to NOT be in high school. It would have been nice if they had gone for college as a "ooh that's different" bit. But nothing more really.

sn00zer

Atlus, this is the final insult. After you killed any semblance of maturity present in the series with Arena--you proceed to spit on the franchies corpse with Persona 4 Golden. Now, with your final chance to restore the dark themes present in the eariler games--you blew it. High school automatically begets adolescent nonsense. College is were mature people go, if any of the staff at Atlus had actually gone to college you'd know that.

Look to Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith, Atlus. Lucas went with a grim, dark, and dare I say: mature story--it paid off tenfold. It was the most mature chapter in the saga--which led to the most quality entry in the series. Dark themes = maturity = quality. Do you understand this, Atlus? Maturity is what we wanted, now that's all out the window. The High School setting again is the kiss of death for this franchise.

Sleep well, true Persona. This series is dead.
Nope, just means we're getting the same thing again....unless they do some sort of Persona 3 reboot....we'll see

Also Empire Strikes Back was pretty dark and the best in the series

Neonsands

Neo Member
I could see the cast being comprised mostly of 3rd years who are freaking out about entrance exams. It would be a good way of not only looking at the college feeder system in Japan but also the social pressure as well. That's a really critical time period for the Japanese and so it would be really fascinating to watch/play a critique of it.

Mix that in with suicide and having no direction in life, and you got yourself a stew going.

I like this because of how the third year NPCs acted in P3 and P4 as the end of the year came around. If you even talked to them they would mention how lucky you are and to cherish your moments now, or how they couldn't talk because they were too stressed or busy from studying and cram school. Something they have shown us already so far.

Man this is why I like the US college system. Keep your grades up, send in applications, write some essays and check later on if they accepted you. No taking exams (besides stuff you had to take in high school like SAT's).

Meh, can't do with another "teens save the world" JRPG.
Out.
Teens save the world? That's like 95% of anime and let's be honest, P3 and 4 are heavily anime-inspired.

Don't hate them from not breaking the mold. If that's what sales, let it be. For something as superficial as it not being older characters that's a really dumb reason to not play what will most likely be a great game

Dario ff

Banned
Meh, can't do with another "teens save the world" JRPG.
Out.
P4 Spoilers:
But the saving the world twists don't even come up until like the last hours of the game tho... Hell, you can barely even get the ending that deals with that in P4 unless you go out of your way to get the true ending. If you ended up with the bad ending it's still an enjoyable game about murder mysteries.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
We don't even know who these teens are let alone if they save the world. I think you're bailing out way too fast in this case.

Just sick of the teenage designs, teenage themes, teenagers who live in a world where every adult is useless, high school, etc.
I know Persona normally handles these subjects better than other JRPGs, but I'm just so tired of this cliche. God forbid we get a JRPG that doesn't have at least one goddamn teen...

Gbraga

P4 Spoilers:
But the saving the world twists don't even come up until like the last hours of the game tho... Hell, you can barely even get the ending that deals with that in P4 unless you go out of your way to get the true ending. If you ended up with the bad ending it's still an enjoyable game about murder mysteries.

And honestly?
I like it a lot better when I ignore the True Ending.

koutoru

I think they will and that is fine to me. I just wish they get ride of anime cutscene to use engine-based cutscene instead.

That is perfectly fine to me.
But how else are they going to create premature hype for the eventual Persona 5 anime?

Atlus, this is the final insult. After you killed any semblance of maturity present in the series with Arena--you proceed to spit on the franchies corpse with Persona 4 Golden. Now, with your final chance to restore the dark themes present in the eariler games--you blew it. High school automatically begets adolescent nonsense. College is were mature people go, if any of the staff at Atlus had actually gone to college you'd know that.

Look to Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith, Atlus. Lucas went with a grim, dark, and dare I say: mature story--it paid off tenfold. It was the most mature chapter in the saga--which led to the most quality entry in the series. Dark themes = maturity = quality. Do you understand this, Atlus? Maturity is what we wanted, now that's all out the window. The High School setting again is the kiss of death for this franchise.

Sleep well, true Persona. This series is dead.

image.php

Masterful troll.

Dr. Buni

This so much. I'm starting to hate it when it's done in Tales games as well.
Yeah. Anime cutscene also gives Atlus an excuse to no add a FeMC to the game, since they would have to create animate different cutscene for each MC. With engine-based cutscenes, they would just need to replace the character models.
But how else are they going to create premature hype for the eventual Persona 5 anime?
Well, not having anime cutscenes would actually give people more reasons to watch a Persona 5 anime, don't you think?

Am I the only adult who doesn't at all feel disappointed with the teenage cast or find them too immature?

I'm 24 and honestly I don't feel like I'm that much more "wizened" or "mature" that I can't relate to the high school characters. Maybe I'm just juvenile, though. :p

Gbraga

I think they will and that is fine to me. I just wish they get ride of anime cutscene to use engine-based cutscene instead.

That is perfectly fine to me.

I understand why you'd want that, but I hope you don't get it.

Anime cutscenes are THE BEST.

Steel

Banned
Yeah. Anime cutscene also gives Atlus an excuse to no add a FeMC to the game, since they would have to create animate different cutscene for each MC. With engine-based cutscenes, they would just need to replace the character models.

Not to mention there aren't all that many anime cutscenes in P4 and P3 anyway, they seem really forced and only there to be able to do special effects without having to program it into the engine.

Edit:

Am I the only adult who doesn't at all feel disappointed with the teenage cast or find them too immature?

I'm 24 and honestly I don't feel like I'm that much more "wizened" or "mature" that I can't relate to the high school characters. Maybe I'm just juvenile, though. :p

No you're not. I've got a healthy suspension of disbelief so I don't get stuck on details like that, and it fits the persona playstyle.

Dario ff

Banned
And honestly?
I like it a lot better when I ignore the True Ending.
No worries, I kinda do as well.
That Adachi Scene in Golden for the bad ending where he burns the letter is quite a cool conclusion IMO.
I'm the kind of person that ignored the Answer as well in P3, so I can understand bailing out when things get too cliche / over-complicated. Just like a good Anime that ran for too long tho, I don't think it's worth bailing out so early considering their track record on the past games. A few bad last hours / bad ending don't really annoy me to the point of ignoring the whole game.

EDIT: Wait, you're not the same person. Sorry. :p

Dr. Buni

Nah, I am 23 years old and I am perfectly fine with the teenage cast. They are way more mature than certain adults you see in certain other games out there.
I understand why you'd want that, but I hope you don't get it.

Anime cutscenes are THE BEST.
They were goddamn awful in both P3 and P4. Unless Atlus decide to hire Ufotable or some other decent studio to animate the new ones, they can gtfo.
Sadly, they won't be removed.
Fixed.

koutoru

Well, according to this thread, your actually in the majority of people.

Gbraga

That makes a lot of sense, but I'd rather just get FeMC only and then the Male MC for P5Ruby on the Vita.

Dr. Buni

That makes a lot of sense, but I'd rather just get FeMC only and then the Male MC for P5Ruby on the Vita.
I wouldn't mind that, but most people would. Actually, I've seen a thread about that on gamefaqs today, a lot of people saying they wouldn't buy a Persona game with only a female MC. Atlus certainly would never do that, so the best we (or at least, I) can hope for is Persona 5 having both male and female MC and I would totally trade badly animated cutscenes for that option.

Steel

Banned

I'd rather have a choice of both right away. How they handled the genders in P3P was genius. Completely different perspective and plot points, whereas most story games with this choice just change a few pronouns and a couple lines.

Gbraga

I wouldn't mind that, but most people would. Actually, I've seen a thread about that on gamefaqs today, a lot of people saying they wouldn't buy a Persona game with only a female MC. Atlus certainly would never do that, so the best we (or at least, I) can hope for is Persona 5 having both male and female MC and I would totally trade badly animated cutscenes for that option.

That's really dumb. I love my waifus as much as everyone else, but I can love my husbandos too

I'd rather have a choice of both right away. How they handled the genders in P3P was genius. Completely different perspective and plot points, whereas most story games with this choice just change a few pronouns and a couple lines.

I didn't play P3P, so that may be the reason I'm not that excited for the idea, but I do read lots of good things about it.

FluxWaveZ

I didn't play P3P, so that may be the reason I'm not that excited for the idea, but I do read lots of good things about it.

I played P3P and I'm opposed to the idea of being able to select a gender. Much prefer them stick with one and not have to worry about spending resources accommodating both genders in story scenes or gender ambiguous dialogue.

Just sick of the teenage designs, teenage themes, teenagers who live in a world where every adult is useless, high school, etc.
I know Persona normally handles these subjects better than other JRPGs, but I'm just so tired of this cliche. God forbid we get a JRPG that doesn't have at least one goddamn teen...

I can't really argue with you on that point because I always wanted an older cast for a Persona game. EP is one of my favorite games in the series and wish they'd touch up on adults again.

However, in this case we just have to wait and see how this new cast is and how they handle the situations they find themselves in. I know, cop out and lame response but unfortunately I can't really say much about Persona 5 since hardly anything is known about it. Maybe we'll have a mix of teens and adults in the playable cast this time around? Someone here threw in the idea of teachers being involved in someway , I think that would be cool.

Faustek

My stool is dark too, what's your point?

That's not good. If your stool is to dark, soft or hard it's usually due to an unbalanced diet. You should consult a doctor before it leads to an gastric ulcer, trust me, I had that crap for a decade and woke up one day puking/pooping blood and now I have a scar in my effing stomach.

Edit: I should add that this goes if it's to "bright" as well.

Dario ff

Banned
The problem with that is that from a game design standpoint, it's more tempting to do what you said on the latter rather than the former if it's decided to have both gender protagonists right from the start. That and with the lack of development resources/time (compared to having more development resources for a remake later), it gets pretty convenient to just merge plot points into stuff common for both genders. (E.g. scenes where you would hang out with the "dudes" would probably have less of an incentive to be done rather than a common scene for both genders)

We could end up with something as good as the P3P female route, but leaving the option for a remake makes more sense from a business standpoint (A pretty good reason to re-buy the same game), and it's kind of a safeguard from a game design standpoint as well. They can go all out with anything male/female specific in the main game, just as long as they're willing to do a different perspective later for a remake.

I'm not sure I understand all the bellyaching over younger characters in a series that's 1. about coming to grips with your true self and 2. also about magic dick monsters that appear to fight evil chairs and tables.

Persona7

Banned

I feel the same way. In my experience the people I know who act like they are mature tend to be the most immature.

Steel

Banned
The problem with that is that from a game design standpoint, it's more tempting to do what you said on the latter rather than the former if it's decided to have both gender protagonists right from the start. That and with the lack of development resources/time (compared to having more development resources for a remake later), it gets pretty convenient to just merge plot points into stuff common for both genders.

We could end up with something as good as the P3P female route, but leaving the option for a remake makes more sense from a business standpoint, and it's kind of a safeguard from a game design standpoint as well. They can go all out with anything male/female specific in the main game, just as long as they're willing to do a different perspective later for a remake.

I get that, just saying it would exceed my expectations if they manage to nail that on the first version. P3P made my replay of P3 a lot more interesting than it would have been with the same MC.

Kyon

Banned
I thank GOD every day that 3 and 4 ushered in a new era and made Persona and Atlus relevant. Thank goodness 1 and 2 don't exist and 3 and 4 continue to be an inspiration to other developers and Atlus's new games alike.
God only knows if those first two shitty games weren't flops this series would still be trash. But luckily we don't have to worry about that.

Persona 5 will also make innovations never seen in JRPGS ever before. I'm ready

The High School/Social Link innovations that trample the demon trash in the first 2 games made the world see the lighT of Persona games. I don't give 3 enough crediT.

Faustek

I'm not sure I understand all the bellyaching over younger characters in a series that's 1. about coming to grips with your true self and 2. also about magic dick monsters that appear to fight evil chairs and tables.

Think he is busy playing Extetra atm.

Dr. Buni

That's really dumb. I love my waifus as much as everyone else, but I can love my husbandos too
Right? I played P3FES and P4 and date waifus, not sure why people can date husbandos for once instead.
Yep, the ideal scenario is being able to choose, instead of having only one gender available.
I played P3P and I'm opposed to the idea of being able to select a gender. Much prefer them stick with one and not have to worry about spending resources accommodating both genders in story scenes or gender ambiguous dialogue.
Thanks for the support!

I thank GOD every day that 3 and 4 ushered in a new era and made Persona and Atlus relevant. Thank goodness 1 and 2 don't exist and 3 and 4 continue to be an inspiration to other developers and Atlus's new games alike.
God only knows if those first two shitty games weren't flops this series would still be trash. But luckily we don't have to worry about that.

Persona 5 will also make innovations never seen in JRPGS ever before. I'm ready

Sarcasm-MEter-e1374191031934.jpg

FluxWaveZ

I thought it was pointed out that P1 was the most initially successful game in the series in terms of sales.

I hope it's dark and gritty and just as dark as possible with misunderstood dark characters that are very badass and dark or perhaps "torn" or "broken", if you get what I'm saying. The series needs to be less bubblegum and more gritty in the darkest way possible for adults to enjoy instead of the kiddy stuff from before. Wouldn't it be cool if the cast were vampires though

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm sure it will be great as always with high school kids, but I can't say I didn't want to see some college age kids dealing with the immediate onset of adulthood and the struggles of being independent and self sufficient. Finding your place in the world and what not. All that can be done with high school kids, to a degree, but the immediacy of it for college kids makes it a much stronger theme. Especially for a bunch of delinquent, burnt out, underachieving, , low self esteem, unconfident college kids.

Kyon

Banned
I bet you anything a college setting would've been the same exact formula except it says you're in college. smh the complainers will never learn

Steel

Banned
I hope it's dark and gritty and just as dark as possible with misunderstood dark characters that are very badass and dark or perhaps "torn" or "broken", if you get what I'm saying. The series needs to be less bubblegum and more gritty in the darkest way possible for adults to enjoy instead of the kiddy stuff from before. Wouldn't it be cool if the cast were vampires though

You know, it's troll posts like this that make me understand just how ridiculously sensitive people are to people saying they want a little more dark in the series. Some people may be saying dark=mature, not everyone is. Edgy most definitely does not equal mature. I just prefer games with some severe negative consequence that make you question the main cast's plot armor. Persona 4 had enough negative consequence to be interesting, but overall it is pretty damn obvious early on
no one significant to the plot would die.
That just makes me complacent and feel less invested when you know you're
just gonna get a "they lived happily ever after" ending
. But that's a matter of personal preference, not something that I think every adult on earth is going to agree with, don't be silly.

Top Bottom