• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - First details from Dengeki

7Th

FeMC was way better written than the male protagonist for Persona 3. Or rather, she was actually written and is closer to P4's Yu than to the perfect blank state that was male protagonist.

Steel

Banned
FeMC was way better written than the male protagonist for Persona 3. Or rather, she was actually written and is closer to P4's Yu than to the perfect blank state that was male protagonist.

Personally I liked the blank slate of the male protagonist, but I also like the way the female protagonist had an obvious personality. Both worked pretty well with the storyline and both had very different plot points and endings that suited them.

PK Gaming

Her social links also benefit from better writing in general.

I enjoyed Male MC's social links for the most part, but I didn't like how his s.links with girls flowed.

Moonlight

Banned
Her social links also benefit from better writing in general.
FeMC has the very distinct advantage of being able to social link with all of the members of SEES. If only for that, FeMC's social links are vastly superior.

Even better is Junpei bumping Kenji off the Magician Social Link. Fuck Kenji.

phuturist

Banned
Yeah same here. I like when games take you out of your comfort zone and give you new experiences. Unfortunately, female characters often aren't written very well in games (usually they are just a clone of the male character).

Wouldn't that just mean that the male character is just as good or bad though, if the female one is a clone?

phuturist

Banned
FeMC is definitely not a clone of Persona 3's male protagonist.

Oh I know, mate. I was just talking to the person that said "female characters are often badly written because they are clone of the male one" which didn't make too much sense to me.

Thorgal

FeMC has the very distinct advantage of being able to social link with all of the members of SEES. If only for that, FeMC's social links are vastly superior.

But Kenji was the first friend i ever had =(

Can i help it that he falls for older woman
and schoolteachers
?

Eh, not terribly surprising. Kinda bummed out that there aren't any screenshots, but then SMT IV didn't have any when it was first announced, either.

DataGhost

Thanks for the interesting summary, duckroll.

I wonder how they'll get others to join you this time. In Persona 4, you rescued them and that was the trial. In Persona 3, you got character as you went along and it was like one character per trial. Since this theme is about freeing yourself and related to catharsis, I wonder how they'll implement the trials this time and what I expect to be gaining companions.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Just had a interesting idea about how some of the themes of Persona 5 will play out.. (or I could be completely wrong).

The characters will essentially be outcasts who consist of underachievers, rebels and overachievers whose desire for individuality is being constrained by the oppressive school system portrayed in Persona 5.

However that's where the alternative world (TV world/Shadow World equivalent in Persona 5) comes in.. it's essentially the place where the characters are in a sense "free' from the oppressive school system and is a form of escapism for them where they are able to come into their own and create individual meaning in their own lives and are able to form their own individual identities eg their persona.

That portrayal of escapism will then extend to a "meta" element within the themes where YOU the player are actually experiencing the game as a form of escapism for your own "self"

Even if none of this plays out in the game, I hope the game takes a literal approach to a school = prison theme that seems to be present in the teaser so far.;p

Zebetite

Banned
Just had a interesting idea about how some of the themes of Persona 5 will play out.. (or I could be completely wrong).

The characters will essentially be outcasts who consist of underachievers, rebels and overachievers whose desire for individuality is being constrained by the oppressive school system portrayed in Persona 5.

However that's where the alternative world (TV world/Shadow World equivalent in Persona 5) comes in.. it's essentially the place where the characters are in a sense "free' from the oppressive school system and is a form of escapism for them where they are able to come into their own and create individual meaning in their own lives and are able to form their own individual identities eg their persona.

That portrayal of escapism will then extend to a "meta" element within the themes where YOU the player are actually experiencing the game as a form of escapism for your own "self"

Even if none of this plays out in the game, I hope the game takes a literal approach to a school = prison theme that seems to be present in the teaser so far.;p

Are you telling me the entire game will star a bunch of Kanji-like characters? Because I'm down for that. I am so down for that.

DMiz

Disappointed. I know the series has largely always been about high school, or has some kind of tangential connection to it (P2), but it would have been nice to branch out a little farther.

Still getting it regardless - and will likely enjoy it like I have the others - but I'll just have to get my kicks out of SMTIV some more for now.

Soriku

I thank GOD every day that 3 and 4 ushered in a new era and made Persona and Atlus relevant. Thank goodness 1 and 2 don't exist and 3 and 4 continue to be an inspiration to other developers and Atlus's new games alike.
God only knows if those first two shitty games weren't flops this series would still be trash. But luckily we don't have to worry about that.

Persona 5 will also make innovations never seen in JRPGS ever before. I'm ready

The High School/Social Link innovations that trample the demon trash in the first 2 games made the world see the lighT of Persona games. I don't give 3 enough crediT.

Uhh except Persona 1 and 2 sold very well when they first released.

[PSX] Persona (Atlus Co.) {1996.09.20} - 201.147 / 391.556
[PSX] Persona 2: Innocent Sin (Atlus Co.) {1999.06.24} - 170.577 / 274.798

Compared to Persona 4's sales:

[PS2] Persona 4 (Atlus Co.) {2008.07.10} - 211.967 / 294.214

Anyway...

They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains.

So like the feeling I get when I finish an annoying paper? Sounds like my kind of story.

High school again is no surprise. Persona will be set in high school forever.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
God I hope we get a FeMC. Pleeeeease pleeeeeeease!

Yosuke and Kanji are way too dorky compared to Akihito, Kaworu or Shinjiro.

The only real choices are probably Teddie and
Adachi.

Well honestly, the only person FeMC should be with is Naoto.

No way in hell am I messing up the OTP of Chie x Yukiko. So perfect.

zkylon

zkylewd
like probably everyone was hoping for a college setting but the idea about the pressure of japan's schooling system sounds like an awesome theme

really excited for it

Chake

Banned
like probably everyone was hoping for a college setting but the idea about the pressure of japan's schooling system sounds like an awesome theme

really excited for it

I'm not even sure if colleges in japan are the same in usa. People might have the wrong idea.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I just want the combat to not become repetitive and tedious with boring "dungeons" like 3 & 4.

Otherwise, get in my veins.

cj_iwakura

God I hope we get a FeMC. Pleeeeease pleeeeeeease!

Well honestly, the only person FeMC should be with is Naoto.

No way in hell am I messing up the OTP of Chie x Yukiko. So perfect.

Does your avatar mean someone is making a Bishoujo Jubilee? If so, shut up, money, etc.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm not even sure if colleges in japan are the same in usa. People might have the wrong idea.

I don't know how college is in the usa either bro :|

like college in buenos aires is literally walking a few blocks from your apartment and just taking classes a bunch of days a week

but I like new stuff, and I'd like to see more adult characters that are japan crazy but at the same time sort of grounded in reality, in typical persona fashion

Steel

Banned

AwShucks

I just want the combat to not become repetitive and tedious with boring "dungeons" like 3 & 4.

Otherwise, get in my veins.

I rather liked the dungeons in P4. They weren't too frequent and most of them weren't too long. The fact that P4 has a great combat system and I like turn based battles helps of course.

Soriku

It would be great if Atlus actually did this going forward as implied here, the default way Femc's are put into games now is just so pointless. Replaying a completely different perspective in the same situation would add a lot of life to games.

Yeah it'd be great for replays.

Steel

Banned
._. I want to believe, but I don't want huge disappointments. Edit: Well he says that and yet there was no FeMC in Persona 4 Golden. lol

To be fair, P3P took a lot of the graphical problems out of the way so it didn't require a budget to add the Femc. Golden would require a decent amount of work and budgeting to add a Femc that wouldn't be justified in a remake. If it's built for both characters from the ground up for a full fledged first release it might make more sense. So there's that.

That being said, I give it an optimistic 50-50 chance. Maybe they'll even add it as DLC!

Edit:

PHILEMON, im telling you its the perfect time to bring him back!
But Philemon was always there?

Dr. Buni

To be fair, P3P took a lot of the graphical problems out of the way so it didn't require a budget to add the Femc. Golden would require a decent amount of work and budgeting to add a Femc that wouldn't be justified in a remake. If it's built for both characters from the ground up for a full fledged first release it might make more sense. So there's that.

That being said, I give it an optimistic 50-50 chance.
I always though the reason for Atlus not including a FeMC in P4G was because of the goddamn anime cutscenes. They would have to recreate every single one of them with the FeMC in Narukami's place, etc. Which kinds of support what you said, since creating more cutscenes requires budget. Anyway, I still have hopes of getting a new female protagonist, but lets be realistic here, the chances are more like 90-10. lol Still, what Soejima said makes me happy, since at least one of the major developers of the series acknowledge the importance of having two protagonists of different genders, instead of only one.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Folks expecting a college setup are crazy.

I mean, it's highschool stuff that sells in Japan.

Personally I liked the blank slate of the male protagonist, but I also like the way the female protagonist had an obvious personality. Both worked pretty well with the storyline and both had very different plot points and endings that suited them.

Not to open a can of worms, but I really disagree with both of these opinion... calling P3's canon MC as 'blank' I mean.

Sorian

Banned
Oh wait, an all-girls school could be fun. The male MC gets transferred there by some freak accident and the administration is unable to correct the error. Hijinks and hilarity ensues.

Edit: Oh! and the boss or deadline or whatever time factor that will be in this game will always be referred to as "the time of the month"

Esura

Banned
Am I the only adult who doesn't at all feel disappointed with the teenage cast or find them too immature?

I'm 24 and honestly I don't feel like I'm that much more "wizened" or "mature" that I can't relate to the high school characters. Maybe I'm just juvenile, though. :p

23 and I feel the same way.

Oh wait, an all-girls school could be fun. The male MC gets transferred there by some freak accident and the administration is unable to correct the error. Hijinks and hilarity ensues.

Edit: Oh! and the boss or deadline or whatever time factor that will be in this game will always be referred to as "the time of the month"

Dude, Atlus should hire you. Best Persona 5 idea in the entire thread.

Can really build a true harem up in that! If you fuck up on dates the girls wont listen to your command in dungeons.

Steel

Banned

And the MC's persona is a drag queen with a full on beard in a polka dotted dress named Hermaphroditus.

7Th

I always though the reason for Atlus not including a FeMC in P4G was because of the goddamn anime cutscenes. They would have to recreate every single one of them with the FeMC in Narukami's place, etc. Which kinds of support what you said, since creating more cutscenes requires budget. Anyway, I still have hopes of getting a new female protagonist, but lets be realistic here, the chances are more like 90-10. lol Still, what Soejima said makes me happy, since at least one of the major developers of the series acknowledge the importance of having two protagonists of different genders, instead of only one.

The characters in P4 just weren't set for a female protagonist to work, honestly.

Sorian

Banned
This plot line has already been done to death in a ton of manga/anime.

4789463+_af4d4152d5058635ebe659e6979b61d7.jpg

:D

And the MC's persona is a drag queen with a full on beard in a polka dotted dress named Hermaphroditus.

This guy knows what's up.

Protag

Banned

oh man, i didnt think anyone else disliked kenji. Here is a kid who actually thought his love affair wou- lmao fuck kenji really.

Top Bottom