• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - First details from Dengeki

There's the question of the thread. Seeing as how they pulled her from persona 3 to 4, what are the chances that she makes an appearance in 5? For that matter what are the chances we get another teacher obsessed with a specific culture(Ala Egypt lady and Samurai teacher who both happen to be related)?

It's the opposite, she wasn't in P3 or P3FES, she was in P3P which came out after P4.

PK Gaming

Lisa getting super-skeeved out all the time when you walked in there was great.

lisamad_zps201d19b2.png
Ngh Hoh Yi! No no no! I’m not letting that pervert touch me! I bet he’ll get fresh and claim it’s part of the treatment!

<3

Moonlight

Banned
Different strokes for different folks. Translating the script to English admittedly made it a bit confusing when
one of her problems in the story is that she's frustrated everyone thinks she can speak perfect English
, though.

...except I don't think they ever explained why she speaks Cantonese at all. Was it her mom? I don't even know.

lisamad_zps201d19b2.png
Ngh Hoh Yi! No no no! I&#8217;m not letting that pervert touch me! I bet he&#8217;ll get fresh and claim it&#8217;s part of the treatment!

<3
The best.

FluxWaveZ

Hahaha. This will never stop catching people. It's a really well done fake. The 'music' is, IIRC, remixed P2 stuff.

Nah, it's just handpicked music from various sources (not from any particular game or anything), some of them remixed. There's some good music to it, though I never liked the concept of the fans running with the "Persona 5" name and even at some point trying to make an actual game out of it.

Warhol

Neo Member
I don't get people asking for it to be grittier. Play a Shin Megami Tensei game then.

P4 was already somewhat dark and P1-P3 were extremely dark. Simply watch FES's intro to watch
a elementary age kid crying because he's covered in blood and injured in a deathmatch between former friends

Hobbun

I have absolutely no issues with the high school setting. I just hope they keep it turn-based. I know they have so far, but with how unpopular turn-based is these days, you just never know.

PK Gaming

Different strokes for different folks. Translating the script to English admittedly made it a bit confusing when
one of her problems in the story is that she's frustrated everyone thinks she can speak perfect English
, though.

...except I don't think they ever explained why she speaks Cantonese at all. Was it her mom? I don't even know.

The best.
I think she learned it by watching Kung-fu movies.

Your guess is as good as mine

Speaking of which, how is Kill La Kill?

Started amazing. Loved the first few episodes. Lately it just feels like typical anime though. Ryuuko, initially introduced as a cool, rebellious punk girl character, has pretty much no personality after the first few episodes, shes just there to react to every situation the way any generic anime hero would. Without the hero being likable anymore, you still get laughs from supporting characters like Mako and rogues gallery of weirdo enemies Ryuuko has, but its just not what it could be. Its still ok, and I'm hoping it can come back strong, but the "Best Show Ever" it presented itself as in the first three episodes doesn't look like something it can measure up to, I fear.

High school again...

tumblr_mlp29qg5C91rkj8fwo1_400.gif

As a big fan of Persona 2's setting, I'm feeling the same.

But of course fans would be upset if they tried something new, so meh.

I'll still play it and enjoy it though. Just hope it's at least different enough to not feel like a rehash. But honestly I'm not sold by the synopsis. Becoming "free" or whatever sounds very similar to P4's "facing oneself" thing.

As a big fan of Persona 2's setting, I'm feeling the same.

But of course fans would be upset if they tried something new, so meh.

I'll still play it and enjoy it though. Just hope it's at least different enough to not feel like a rehash. But honestly I'm not sold by the synopsis. Becoming "free" or whatever sounds very similar to P4's "facing oneself" thing.

But even P2 was based around High School students. It just wasn't based IN a high school.

But even P2 was based around High School students. It just wasn't based IN a high school.

Maybe my memory is hazy, but wasn't Eternal Punishment from the perspective of a female journalist or magazine editor writing a story on a serial killer or something? Perhaps it included a lot of HS elements/characters, but that's not what stood out to me. What stood out to me is the game starting off in a office building with a female business woman protagonist. It was bold by JRPG standards, and I loved the adult characters/themes.

So yeah, I guess I'd just prefer it from a perspective outside of high school.

PK Gaming

Maybe my memory is hazy, but wasn't Eternal Punishment from the perspective of a female journalist or magazine editor writing a story on a serial killer or something? Perhaps it included a lot of HS elements/characters, but that's not what stood out to me. What stood out to me is the game starting off in a office building with a female business woman protagonist. It was bold by JRPG standards, and I loved the adult characters/themes.

Yes

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was definitely unique as far as Persona goes.

That said, Persona 2 as a whole is absolutely about high school students (Tatsuya, Lisa, Eikichi,
Jun
) + one adult (Maya) who's actions set a chain of events in motion after an "event."

Nags

Banned
The joy of breaking free from those chains eludes to me that possibly the MC will be a senior and will deal with how one adjusts from being child to an adult.

I foresee... more sexual tones and a suicide somewhere in there.

Moonlight

Banned
I think she learned it by watching Kung-fu movies.

Your guess is as good as mine
That's... that's weird.

It was the second half a story that heavily involved a high school and high school characters, whom said female journalist were heavily involved with.

The joy of breaking free from those chains eludes to me that possibly the MC will be a senior and will deal with how one adjusts from being child to an adult.

I foresee... more sexual tones and a suicide somewhere in there.

More sexual tones? I'm ok with that, I hope Atlus delivers on the fan service and gives us another round of adorable waifus.

Lisa learned Cantonese as a way to rebel against her parents who wanted her to be a proper Japanese girl. I swear this was stated in Innocent Sin.

EMT0

Banned
Did Atlus ever clarify if (P4 Spoilers)
Izanami is a demon?
We still don't fully know/understand why demons disappeared and why you fight Shadows in P3/P4. What is worth noting is that(P4G Spoilers)
to my knowledge, Persona 4 Golden is the only Persona game to adhere to the Shin Megami Tensei mythos of True Godess Revival via the way of Marie, the reincarnation of Izanagi. Also ironically when they decided to drop the SMT moniker.
I want to believe Atlus is tying everything together...
what with the possibility of Nyarl and the teaser Shadow Operatives pic in Arena.

I'd say the question of demons is something that we probably won't get an answer for. It'd clash too much with modern Persona.

Moonlight

Banned
Lisa learned Cantonese as a way to rebel against her parents who wanted her to be a proper Japanese girl. I swear this was stated in Innocent Sin.
I was diligent about trying to read as much dialogue as possible, stopped by everywhere after every event, up to and including the Silverman Manor and I swear I never read that.

That makes a lot of sense, though. Thanks!

Steel

Banned
Did Atlus ever clarify if (P4 Spoilers)
Izanami is a demon?
We still don't fully know/understand why demons disappeared and why you fight Shadows in P3/P4. What is worth noting is that(P4G Spoilers)
to my knowledge, Persona 4 Golden is the only Persona game to adhere to the Shin Megami Tensei mythos of True Godess Revival via the way of Marie, the reincarnation of Izanagi. Also ironically when they decided to drop the SMT moniker.
I want to believe Atlus is tying everything together...
what with the possibility of Nyarl and the teaser Shadow Operatives pic in Arena.

I'd say the question of demons is something that we probably won't get an answer for. It'd clash too much with modern Persona.

Edogawa pretty much laid out the relevant mythological background(I love how he answers plot questions by being completely off the wall insane by real world standards),
basically it sounds like Atlus just wanted to use the Izangai, Izami myth in the story somewhere and by persona plot relatives Izanami is more akin to Nyx and Philemon(Eldritch abominations) than demons.

Steel

Banned
I remember that from the game. If it wasn't directly said it was heavily implied a few times.

Yeah, now that you mention it I definitely recall that from somewhere. I think it was listed in a description of her character somewhere in game, and not dialogue? Was it her introduction?

Yeah, now that you mention it I definitely recall that from somewhere. I think it was listed in a description of her character somewhere in game, and not dialogue? Was it her introduction?

It has to be somewhere else in the game because its not in her introduction. Her intro pretty much says she is a white girl who speaks Japanese and the sexiest girl in school. PSP version is similar, says she loves Kung Fu and is the self proclaimed hottest girl in school.

Dr. Buni

More sexual tones? I'm ok with that, I hope Atlus delivers on the fan service and gives us another round of adorable waifus.
That is exactly what I want Atlus to avoid. People want a more mature game, yet they ask for fanservice (which only makes the game less mature and also cringe worthy).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That is exactly what I want Atlus to avoid. People want a more mature game, yet they ask for fanservice (which only makes the game less mature and also cringe worthy).

Are you sure about it?

Don't pretend like P4/P4G's success has nothing to do with them trying to tap in to the otaku culture as well, in some ways.

And what is "mature" anyways.

aly

All right, I've never played a Persona game in my my life, but this topic has made me really interested. I did'nt really like shin megami tensei, so are they really similar or totally different and where should I start?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
All right, I've never played a Persona game in my my life, but this topic has made me really interested. I did'nt really like shin megami tensei, so are they really similar or totally different and where should I start?

Very different... well, at the very least the "modern" Personas starting from P3. P3 is a good start... I recommend P3FES.

Esura

Banned

I don't need a "mature" game. I do want a fanservice game though.

That said maturity in a medium and fanservice aren't exactly mutually exclusive. It's all about how it's done.

7Th

Started amazing. Loved the first few episodes. Lately it just feels like typical anime though. Ryuuko, initially introduced as a cool, rebellious punk girl character, has pretty much no personality after the first few episodes, shes just there to react to every situation the way any generic anime hero would. Without the hero being likable anymore, you still get laughs from supporting characters like Mako and rogues gallery of weirdo enemies Ryuuko has, but its just not what it could be. Its still ok, and I'm hoping it can come back strong, but the "Best Show Ever" it presented itself as in the first three episodes doesn't look like something it can measure up to, I fear.

This is wrong.
For better or worse, Ryuuko has changed very little other than warming up to Mako and Senketsu. Hell, her punkiest moments were in episode 4.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Persona 3 MC's hair: Blue
Persona 4 MC's hair: Grey/white

I was going to guess that Persona 5's MC's hair is going to be red, but then I forgot about P3 FeMC.

I'm still going to go with red hair.

Squire

Banned
Persona 3 MC's hair: Blue
Persona 4 MC's hair: Grey/white

I was going to guess that Persona 5's MC's hair is going to be red, but then I forgot about P3 FeMC.

I'm still going to go with red hair.

My guess is it will be blonde, regardless of gender.

I hope he has natural pink hair. And modern society brings him down for being too awesome to conform to their gender stereotypes.

Steel

Banned

3 and 4 do have paralells with devil survivor, but they're only passingly similiar to SMT. Persona 1 and 2 may as well be SMT though.

Edit: Put my bet in for blonde haired main character.

FluxWaveZ

Considering we have no idea who this guy is is it possible he is in P5?

We know a bit about him. We know:
- His name's "Sho Minazuki."
- That he has a Yasogami outfit around his waist for some reason.
- That he wants to "slit everyone's throats."
- That he's probably not allied with Shadows either since one of his intro has him slice one in half.
- That he can fight without a Persona and his title is "The Lawbreaking Pun Machine."
- That he gains or uses a Persona at some point and his portrait looks more malicious when he does and his title becomes "The Defaced Dark Messiah."
- Is presumably behind the events of P4A and P4A2.

All that said, I don't think there's anything linking him to P5 aside from the color red while there's plenty just linking him to the P4A saga, so it's too soon to come with a conclusion either way, but the safest bet currently would be that he's just a P4A character.

EP was the second half of a video game about high school kids trying to save the world and the power of friendship. There is literally half of an example of the series that people apparently want Persona to be that it's never otherwise demonstrated it is.

But it is a great example of what it CAN be. The cast of EP is far and away the most interesting of the bunch. You get to see not only the cast of P1 come into their own, in both good and bad ways, but also see that who you are isn't just decided in high school or college. It's a continuing process.

Yes

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment was definitely unique as far as Persona goes.

That said, Persona 2 as a whole is absolutely about high school students (Tatsuya, Lisa, Eikichi,
Jun
) + one adult (Maya) who's actions set a chain of events in motion after an "event."

Not really, in fact while yes it is the 'kids' who start it its the adults who finish it.
They are the ones who have to fix the mess made by the younger generation.

God I love that game.

Top Bottom