• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - First details from Dengeki

Yo93

Tokyo U is the final boss.
P1-Hanya.png

Dr. Buni

All I care about is dungeon design, social links, and whether there is a female playable MC

The school setting is great, don't mind the high school setting.
The dungeon design was fine in P3/P4. The bold part is what I care the most about, but I am fairly sure I will be disappointed and there will be only a male protagonist again.

Proven

Yeah, I figured. What's the age for drinking there, 21?

whatever, the P4 cast got wasted and no-one cared

It's 20, but if the cast is made of mostly 3rd years you'll probably get the irresponsible college student as one of the senpai options.

Gbraga

It's 20, but if the cast is made of mostly 3rd years you'll probably get the irresponsible college student as one of the senpai options.

It'll be Funky Student

Man, I really wish we got some beefier details.

I love your avatar. I'll have to watch a playthrough of this game just to find out more about this character, really like him and the girl too. Love their designs.

Faustek

I wonder if they'll address the academic pressure stuff and suicide rates in Japan. It's obvious they're going for a darker tone.

Would b e really interesting to see that actually, how they can tackle the giant elephant so to speak.

Persona 4 is the best way to get into the series right now IMO, but P2 IS, EP and P3 are all worth playing - if you're gonna play P3, go with the PSP version.
EP is delicious as hell, If they ever remake another game then for the love of Mara remake this, screw anything else.

And I'd advise to stay away from P1. That game hasn't aged well and if you're not a hardcore fan you're most likely going to hate it big time.

Seriously, why does everyone think P1 is that bad? I love it and I played that one after I played 2.

Oh god, I totally forgot that would make you someone's senpai. I hope we can just corrupt the fuck out of some poor sod :lol

And that was a placebo effect in P4: Naoto kept trying to tell them that there wasn't any alcohol in those drinks.

I thought that was just part of the localisation. :/

duckroll

What, I'm not saying P1 is bad by any means but for someone that wants to get into the series that's the worst place to start.

If you won't say it, I will. Persona 1 is a pretty bad game. Well intended, but not very notable in game design or in execution. Couldn't get into it on the PS1, couldn't beat it on the PSP either, even with massive improvements. It's just a pain to play.

Seriously, why does everyone think P1 is that bad? I love it and I played that one after I played 2.
That's the thing, it wasn't the first Persona you played.

I'm not saying it's a bad game people but it's by far the hardest Persona game to just jump in and enjoy. It's an adquired taste.

Dr. Buni

The gameplay is horrendous (same goes to P2, IMO). The characters and story are nice, though (again, same goes to P2). If one can overlook the clunky gameplay, then the game is perfectly fine.
She's like one of those self-inset characters written by 12 years old trying to self-insert themselves into the story in a lousy way.
If you say so.

Infinite

If you won't say it, I will. Persona 1 is a pretty bad game. Well intended, but not very notable in game design or in execution. Couldn't get into it on the PS1, couldn't beat it on the PSP either, even with massive improvements. It's just a pain to play.

Tried playing the psp version and put the game down like 2 hours in

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The dungeon design was fine in P3/P4. The bold part is what I care the most about, but I am fairly sure I will be disappointed and there will be only a male protagonist again.

Agreed, it wasn't much of an issue until I played P3P, then my eyes opened to the missed possibilities of having a playable female from the outset in all the games. Still disappointed P4 golden didn't have this and I expect to be disappointed with P5 and it's remake/follow up.

Prove me wrong SegaAtlus.

Love that game so nou

It is flawed as duck though, but most earlier megaten titles are.

Fuck autocorrected to duck I'm totally leaving that

Dr. Buni

Agreed, it wasn't much of an issue until I played P3P, then my eyes opened to the missed possibilities of having a playable female from the outset in all the games. Still disappointed P4 golden didn't have this and I expect to be disappointed with P5 and it's remake/follow up.

Prove me wrong SegaAtlus.
Yep. Not only that, but playing as 'Hamuko' in P3P made me enjoy the Persona 3 universe way more than when I played Persona 3 FES on the PS2, her interactions with the characters are just so much better than Makoto's, IMO. So, when they announced Persona 4 Golden, the first thing that came to my mind was "Yay! They are going to add a female protagonist". Yeah...

Faustek

Only played the PSP version and I didn't think the execution or design was bad. By today's standard I might see why people think that. But I wouldn't skip it. It's like what, $/€10 on psn? It's still fun.

That's the thing, it wasn't the first Persona you played.

I'm not saying it's a bad game people.

my bad my bad :)
The gameplay is horrendous (same goes to P2, IMO). The characters and story are nice, though (again, same goes to P2). If one can overlook the clunky gameplay, then the game is perfectly fine.

Ahh yes, I never actually cared about the "game play" I love it for the story and the fights are just standard stock old school mechanics I have come to love.
When seeing how people say they want a female MC, yes that would be awesome I would also like to see a person of coluor(can I still say that America or am I self loathing again?) that is actually awesome and perhaps more than just a token. But I wouldn't want to see a huge difference in story. Tweak it for the defined sexes but not the P3 way :|

KikiEars

Neo Member

If you won't say it, I will. Persona 4 is a pretty bad game. Well intended, but not very notable in game design or in execution. Couldn't get into it on the PS2, couldn't beat it on the Vita either, even with the added fanservice. It's just a pain to play.

duckroll

When seeing how people say they want a female MC, yes that would be awesome I would also like to see a person of coluor(can I still say that America or am I self loathing again?) that is actually awesome and perhaps more than just a token. But I wouldn't want to see a huge difference in story. Tweak it for the defined sexes but not the P3 way :|

It's usually a dick move to argue against inclusion, but in this case we're talking about a game set in a high school in Japan. The odds of there being any students who are not Japanese is so low that it would basically have to be a token character. There would be no other reason to do it.

If you won't say it, I will. Persona 4 is a pretty bad game. Well intended, but not very notable in game design or in execution. Couldn't get into it on the PS2, couldn't beat it on the Vita either, even with the added fanservice. It's just a pain to play.

But I say that all the time. P3 >>>>>>>>>>> P4. :p

Yep. Not only that, but playing as 'Hamuko' in P3P made me enjoy the Persona 3 universe way more than when I played Persona 3 FES on the PS2, her interactions with the characters are just so much better than Makoto's, IMO. So, when they announced Persona 4 Golden, the first thing that came to my mind was "Yay! They are going to add a female protagonist". Yeah...

Not completely related, but I watched the final boss and ending sequence in P3P and MAN that thing is terribly butchered on the story presentation front compared to P3/3FES.

Dr. Buni

Tweak it for the defined sexes but not the P3 way :|
What is wrong with the P3P way? Making only small tweaks wouldn't have been as interesting as the way Atlus did in P3P... They managed to make Hamuko's route considerably different from Makoto's, thus giving reasons for people who chose to play as male, to replay the game as female and vice-versa.

I would love to have a dark skinned character as a playable character or even as the protagonist, btw.

Gbraga

WHAT ARE YOU DOING

TRICKS

STOP

Jarmel

Banned
It's usually a dick move to argue against inclusion, but in this case we're talking about a game set in a high school in Japan. The odds of there being any students who are not Japanese is so low that it would basically have to be a token character. There would be no other reason to do it.

That actually would be a good reason to do a college setting. Oh well.

masouusversiona2s09.jpg

Yeah let's not do that again

KikiEars

Neo Member

If you won't say it, I will. Persona 3 is a pretty bad game. Well intended, but not very notable in game design or in execution. Couldn't get into it on the PS2, couldn't beat it on the PSP either, even with the added route and absurd balance changes. It's just a pain to play.

Faustek

Yes I can see that but what I argue for is that the Persona game actually makes us view society in it's more darker perspective. Adding in a foreigner would suite it just fine. Not saying it must be a BFtCA or a SFtCA but perhaps some ethnicity that Japan as a culture haven't looked at very favorably.

What is wrong with the P3P way? Making only small tweaks wouldn't have been as interesting as the way Atlus did in P3P... They managed to make Hamuko's route considerably different from Makoto's, thus giving reasons for people who chose to play as male, to replay the game as female and vice-versa.

I would love to have a dark skinned character as a playable character or even as the protagonist, btw.

Nothing wrong tbh but with my limited time I always felt like my Fem MC run got hampered. Just me whining tbh. And as I write this I realize it was a really stupid stupid whine :/

masouusversiona2s09.jpg

Yeah let's not do that again

;D

EDIT: Btw why did they change colour? Only NA release because I can't remember this in the EU release.

Elizabeth or Margaret to replace Igor. Calling it now.

For the love of all things beautiful, don't bring Marie back.

The way I figure is Marie will replace him. That, to me, is the only logical explanation why they introduced a new character that resides in the Velvet Room. Though I would want the painter from P2's Velvet Room taking over.

duckroll

If you won't say it, I will. Persona 3 is a pretty bad game. Well intended, but not very notable in game design or in execution. Couldn't get into it on the PS2, couldn't beat it on the PSP either, even with the added route and absurd balance changes. It's just a pain to play.

20 year ban incoming. :)

LProtag

If they were going for a darker tone then another game set in high school makes sense. Probably a high ranking prep school. College wouldn't make as much sense for a darker game, as generally college is a much more stress free environment compared to high school in Japan.

Looks like Dengeki did have some sort of feature on Persona 5 after all. Not a ton of info, but they confirm that the setting of the chairs in the teaser is a highschool classroom. The theme of the game is about the emotion joy of being released after overcoming trials - hence the imagery of chairs and chains. The game will continue to be focused on school juvenile setting of the series, but the tone this time will be completely different.

Edit: Before there are more "Dark Souls!!!" replies, I think I'll clarify:

They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains. I would say that the theory about it being about pressure and stress from the Japanese school system is probably a very good guess.

And here we have the theme of Joy finally.

We had Anger, Sorrow and Interest... finally Joy. I'm surprised the color seems to be skewing red though.

Hcoregamer00

What is wrong with the P3P way? Making only small tweaks wouldn't have been as interesting as the way Atlus did in P3P

Yup, seeing Junpei get all defensive because a woman is leading the party compared to his "hey buddy" personality is interesting to say the least. Having the female cast befriend her and social linking the dudes makes for an interesting experience.

As you said, even just for replay value, it can add a lot to P5.

Of course, with the lack of Female MC in any of the post P3P games makes me think that they want to quietly pretend it never happened.

I could be wrong, but I heard that P3 was originally planned to have either a male or female protag from the start, but the female path was dropped.
When Atlus realised they had to drop the animated cut scenes anyway in the Psp version they were able to revisit the idea.

And yet, P1's dungeons soundly beat the shit out of both P3 and P4. The fanbase may be more concerned with waifus than dungeon crawling, but I would trade social links for an even mediocre dungeon experience.

If P5 could take anything from P1, I hope it would be a return to actually designing dungeons and adding in something like the Snow Queen Quest.

That said, I still wouldn't recemmend P1 to anyone trying to get into the series. That story was pretty ass.

They should do a Persona set in the young adult's life, and the stress of living on a decaying economy... I summon thee vodka on rocks!

Stark

Banned
Good to hear them shoot down any setting theories right away.

Wish we got a bit more info but I'm glad they elaborated even a little bit.

I think I own more copies of P3 than any other game. Versions, anyway.

- ps2
- ps2 FES
- psn FES
- P3P umd
- psn P3P

all US versions. I should probably go for the japanese versions to keep piling it up.

denshuu

Jesus Christ, there can never be a thread about any upcoming game without a bunch of people screaming Dark Souls. Wow you guys, you can move around with the left thumb stick. Dark Souls anyone?

I started on Persona 4, the PS2 version. P4 Golden for Vita is a good introduction too.

I think P4/Golden is probably the most accessible entry in the series, and you don't necessarily have to play P3 before P4, because they are very self-contained games. I think P4 does a better job of making battles/dungeon crawling more fun, and also better explains S.Links, how to acquire new ones, and why you should build them up. A few people have said to me that P3 may not have done the best job of that, and they struggled to enjoy the game because of it. Personally I didn't notice that, but then I was already very familiar with how the game worked since I went into it fresh off of a 90 hour Persona 4 playthrough.

If you're a fan of the more old-school stuff, you could give P1 and P2: IS & P2: EP a go, but they are quite different from P3 & P4. Personally, I didn't like Persona 1 all that much, but I got along with Persona 2: Innocent Sin once I'd got to grips with the demon negotiation.

Playing P3FES on PS2 or PS3 would be better as going back to it from P4G might be problematic.

Hcoregamer00

They should do a Persona set in the young adult's life, and the stress of living on a decaying economy... I summon thee vodka on rocks!

That would hit too close to home for their audience who wants to escape from reality.

There is a reason why they choose high school as a main setting for the games. It is far enough removed from the businessmen that they can "detach" it from reality and for the school kids it gives the something that is somewhat relatable, but still far enough from their own lives.

Top Bottom