• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - First details from Dengeki

Village

If you won't say it, I will. Persona 3 is a pretty bad game. Well intended, but not very notable in game design or in execution. Couldn't get into it on the PS2, couldn't beat it on the PSP either, even with the added route and absurd balance changes. It's just a pain to play.

But I say it all the time
p4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> p3 :)

daveo42

Banned
So, could the story revolve specifically around shadows feeding on this overly positive energy that people have overcoming trials and end up killing themselves after it's been taken away? Or even being influenced to kill themselves after reaching that catharsis to release that energy?

Yup, seeing Junpei get all defensive because a woman is leading the party compared to his "hey buddy" personality is interesting to say the least. Having the female cast befriend her and social linking the dudes makes for an interesting experience.
I never played Mass Effect, but did Bioware change the interactions on which gender of Shepard you played.

Dr. Buni

Of course, with the lack of Female MC in any of the post P3P games makes me think that they want to quietly pretend it never happened.
Yeah. Atlus never promoting or including Hamuko in post-P3P games is really sad... and baffling. I mean, adding a female protagonist can only do good. Look at the Pokémon female player base, it is huge and the fact Game Freak introduced female protagonists in every post-Gen II game certainly helped that.
I could be wrong, but I heard that P3 was originally planned to have either a male or female protag from the start, but the female path was dropped. When Atlus realised they had to drop the animated cut scenes anyway in the Psp version they were able to revisit the idea.
Really? Never heard of that. The bold part only makes me fear even more we won't see a new FeMC in Persona 5, unless they decide to use the engine for the cutscenes, instead of using animated ones.

Glad to hear it is sticking to the High School age group and am thrilled that the tone is going to be different. I will probably have to get a PS3 again (I traded mine in after finishing GTA5) just to play this.
Elizabeth or Margaret to replace Igor. Calling it now.

For the love of all things beautiful, don't bring Marie back.

I'd be quite disappointed if they rid of Igor...I'm with you
on Maire though.....not that I thought she was bad. She was okay...just not worth bringing back IMO.

RaikuHebi

Banned
just-hook-it-to-my-veins-o.gif

They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains. I would say that the theory about it being about pressure and stress from the Japanese school system is probably a very good guess.

That's exactly what I come to video games for!

I loved the shit out of Persona 3: FES and it changed my life. I liked P4 a bit less and it was still handily GotY. Meanwhile, Devil Summoner 2 is the best JRPG ever nobody has played.

Yeah, P5 is gonna be rather good.

Faustek

So more of the same safe bullshit

...Yeah lets start judging it a year before release. Seems like the right thing to do.

on Maire though.....not that I thought she was bad. She was okay...just not worth bringing back IMO.

I liked her, it was refreshing to see such a art house freak in the middle of that group. Even liked the voice actor. Sure it was cheesy but really fitting for a teen, or have I missed it and today's teens are perhaps more mature in their ways?

Omikaru

I'd be quite disappointed if they rid of Igor...I'm with you

I think you have to appreciate that the Japanese voice actor for Igor passed away a few years ago, and as I understand it the Japanese fanbase were very fond of him. It might not be a particularly good idea to replace him with a new actor, so they may replace the character instead, as disappointing as that'd be.

To be honest, I actually think it's quite narrow-minded to think Igor might be replaced by a currently-existing character. The Velvet Room in P5 could have a new character to replace Igor, and possibly a new character as an assistant too.

But if we are looking at the current crop, for story reasons, I'd say Margaret or Elizabeth makes sense. Margaret because maybe she simply gets a promotion, and Elizabeth if (Arena 1 spoilers)
her new journey at the end of Arena has come to a close by time P5 begins, but she is a wild card Persona user now, so maybe that somehow precludes her from taking her old role in the Velvet room again
. At the end of Golden, Marie
seemed to have left the Velvet Room, and was the weather woman. She never really was part of Philemon's group as Igor and the other Velvet Room residents were; she was simply lost and happened to find her way there.
At any rate, who knows?

Itsuki

One of the things about Persona is that the protagonists (except in P2EP) are high school students so I don't see nothing bad about that.
And I'm glad that they decided to choose a theme like that. The Japanese school system is very stressful and people think that it's like anime and manga. Can't wait to see more information about the game.

Thorgal

I dunno how they're going to do Igor in Persona 5, or if he'll even be in the game, because the iconic Japanese voice actor for the character passed away in 2010. :(

I know that in japan once a seiyuu has voiced a character he will always be linked too said character forever. but i seem to remember that for Tales of Vesperia ( PS3) they did found a replacement for the VA for Dhaos who passed away so it can happen.

Cornbread78

Almost wish they used a college aged theme, so they could really get further into the relationship links. They could really go places there, not by showing in game sex scenes, but really expanding that area of the game, it just wouldn;t be right to do that with HS aged characters. Darker and more adult, yeah..

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
not terribly excited about the high school setting but what can you do... teenagers probably make up the bulk of the target demographic, so it's probably a sound business decision.

hopefully this one actually has well designed dungeons to keep me interested in between the excellent character bits.

Dr. Buni

Really? Didn't seem like it while I was playing it
It is been a long time since I played Persona 3, so I might be wrong. Anyway, I just checked the wikia and it says the following in the P3P page:
The theme of the game revolves around the "Butterfly effect", reflecting the changes that happen should the player pursue the path of one protagonist over the other, and the Latin phrase "Memento Mori" which translates as "Remember your mortality. Remember you must/will die", as shown in the opening sequences.

Arcblast

Neo Member
I think I own more copies of P3 than any other game. Versions, anyway.

- ps2
- ps2 FES
- psn FES
- P3P umd
- psn P3P

all US versions. I should probably go for the japanese versions to keep piling it up.

You know... my P3 collection is exactly the same as your, if you replace the PSN ones from your list with physical Japanese copies. I was thinking to get Japanese digital P3P using that UMD passport for discount actually, so I can play P3P on my Vita...

That would hit too close to home for their audience who wants to escape from reality.

There is a reason why they choose high school as a main setting for the games. It is far enough removed from the businessmen that they can "detach" it from reality and for the school kids it gives the something that is somewhat relatable, but still far enough from their own lives.

we've got to wake up, disruptive art!! play that arcade fire song!

Faustek

Almost wish they used a college aged theme, so they could really get further into the relationship links. They could really go places there, not by showing in game sex scenes, but really expanding that area of the game, it just wouldn;t be right to do that with HS aged characters. Darker and more adult, yeah..

I'm going to say it out loud so listen.

Highschoolers are screwing. Get used to it. Teach them proper protection and let it be. Think the majority of the world doesn't have 18/21 to be honest but early teens(14+).

Jawmuncher

I personally just want a tone closer to Persona 3. Which was indeed darker than P4.
Though obviously it wasn't hugely dark and gritty. It was a pretty good balance honestly.

--------------------------------------------------------

I can't see how anyone can say P3 is a bad game. It set the ground work for P4 and is for the most part similar. The most I can understand is not liking the dungeon levels and the grind to finish them. But as I played on a easier difficulty it gave me all I wanted. Still actually prefer it to P4. Just found characters and story far more memorable. gameplay wise they're the same to me.

Dr. Buni

I personally just want a tone closer to Persona 3. Which was indeed darker than P4.
You keep telling yourself that.
Why does everybody want a Female MC so much?
Some people here are female and want to play as a female character. Others just want to have husbandos instead of waifus, others might want to experience the different routes both genders can provide, etc. There are plenty of reasons to justify a new FeMC in Persona 5. It is not rocket science.

Silky

Banned
Edit: Before there are more "Dark Souls!!!" replies, I think I'll clarify:

They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains. I would say that the theory about it being about pressure and stress from the Japanese school system is probably a very good guess.

OH BOY

"I want Persona to be darker and edgier... but I also want a waifu."

Because the choice P3P gave us made the story and overall feel of the game comepletely different with having both a male and female protagonist.

Also, I want my FeMC to be the best goddamn asshole delinquent. I want a Jolyne Kujo

injurai

Banned
Looks like Dengeki did have some sort of feature on Persona 5 after all. Not a ton of info, but they confirm that the setting of the chairs in the teaser is a highschool classroom. The theme of the game is about the emotion joy of being released after overcoming trials - hence the imagery of chairs and chains. The game will continue to be focused on school juvenile setting of the series, but the tone this time will be completely different.

Edit: Before there are more "Dark Souls!!!" replies, I think I'll clarify:

Louis CK confirmed as a writer

Jawmuncher

You keep telling yourself that.

I will. I have read the numerous comment's on the matter but from my personal experience it indeed felt that way. I mean if I didn't get that vibe from when I played it I wouldn't be saying it. Though I can understand where the disagreements come from.

Faustek

"I want Persona to be darker and edgier... but I also want a waifu."

I think you're missing the point. Let me quote an earlier post to perhaps enlighten your conundrum.

Yeah. Atlus never promoting or including Hamuko in post-P3P games is really sad... and baffling. I mean, adding a female protagonist can only do good. Look at the Pokémon female player base, it is huge and the fact Game Freak introduced female protagonists in every post-Gen II game certainly helped that.Really? Never heard of that. The bold part only makes me fear even more we won't see a new FeMC in Persona 5, unless they decide to use the engine for the cutscenes, instead of using animated ones.

And I agree, inclusion and choice are nearly always a good thing. Only time I can't see it as a good thing is if they included Rainbow Dash from MLP as a demon in the SMT series.

inner-G

Banned
Details sound promising.

Despite the whiners, I don't really see any reason why ATLUS would want to change the series' setting.

Musolf815

I was just reading Soejima's interview in the P4 art book, he discussed a bit of speculation about Persona 5, saying they always want to shake things up to avoid staleness.

Top Bottom