• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - First details from Dengeki

HooYaH

Pretty sure now that this is the new MC.
persona4-theultimax-ultrasuplexhold-announcement-28.jpg

Village

There is a supposed scan of the P5 MC on gamefaqs. It is a red colored picture, with a Yu Narukami look-alike and the "555" number. It is probably fake, though (I hope so).

ORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORAORA

608355-dio_gif.gif

MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA

Theme is joy? Terrible, just terrible. Joy is a positive emotion, there's nothing dark and gritty about it. As a fully grown human man, I can only play games that make me feel like shit afterwards and showcase how awful humanity is and every character must end the game suffering.

Sarcasm, of course. I'm currently building a time machine so I can play this right now. Who's in?

And from earlier in the thread (re: Igor, P3 spoilers for those who haven't finished):
If they don't just recast Igor, I doubt it would be Elizabeth taking over since she's still out kicking the universe's ass trying to bring back the P3 MC.

duckroll

Theme is joy? Terrible, just terrible. Joy is a positive emotion, there's nothing dark and gritty about it. As a fully grown human man, I can only play games that make me feel like shit afterwards and showcase how awful humanity is and every character must end the game suffering.

Sarcasm, of course. I'm currently building a time machine so I can play this right now. Who's in?

And from earlier in the thread (re: Igor, P3 spoilers for those who haven't finished):
If they don't just recast Igor, I doubt it would be Elizabeth taking over since she's still out kicking the universe's ass trying to bring back the P3 MC.

The theme is not joy. The theme is being chained (to a chair). It is liberation which leads to joyful ecstasy.

Zephyx

So it's a graduating class this time. If it's still calendar-based, there will probably a cram school Social Link.

Hyped! Hopefully, there are more details in the upcoming Persona magazine.

Faustek

i understand one taking the canon into their own head. By all means fill in the blanks, I just do not think that was even the beging of a gender identity issue. It had always been presented as a dudes got a golden, kind of thing. And I dunno if they had gender issues with a character, I kind of would not want it naoto. It would kind of be stereotypical to have her as the transgendered person. Women have shrot hair and wear pants all the time. I am sitting beside some at this moment.

I think it would have been more interesting if chie , yukiko, or rise had some type of gender identity issues.

Would be more interesting yes, but even thou for my wishes I still believe they have to take baby steps. Not go full blown reality on the fan base.

You have my High school Physics!

I'm okay with the high school setting again, so long as concepts explored in Catherine can be worked in.

Still, anxiously awaiting more info or at least another tease of the soundtrack's direction.

7Th

The theme is not joy. The theme is being chained (to a chair). It is liberation which leads to joyful ecstasy.

It all makes sense! Sukeban Persona; the main character will be a legit delinquent kid who spends all her time in detention. I would buy 10.

Go_Ly_Dow

for those seeking a darker tale exploring the inner demons of a high school student watch Flowers of Evil/Aku no Hana.

Lunar15

Give me good characters and a good story and I'm good.

Not gettin off that easy. You have to demand something really specific. Like needing all characters to be one legged alcoholics. Then get really disappointed when it doesn't happen and cancel your pre-order.

Kikarian

Story-wise/concept it sounds good, but maybe the setting could be different. I don't mind it being in a High school again, but it would be good to see it set somewhere else.

duckroll

Story-wise/concept it sounds good, but maybe the setting could be different. I don't mind it being in a High school again, but it would be good to see it set somewhere else.

Then it won't be Persona. They create games which use the same staff and similar art direction, in totally different settings, but they wouldn't call it Persona. See: Catherine.

Since it will no doubt take place in like 2016 or something, I hope they incorporate more of the social media culture into the game. Every future teen is gonna have an iPhone or whatever and texting should play a role in it, like an expanded version of the Catherine system.

P4 was in the sticks so it made sense to not have cutting edge gadgets, but this time I hope they do.

LTWheels

First impression: all the talk about overcoming and joy, makes me think of school exams. Maybe a greater narrative focus on that.

ZSeba

Then it won't be Persona. They create games which use the same staff and similar art direction, in totally different settings, but they wouldn't call it Persona. See: Catherine.
I don't think the HS setting is what Persona is all about. They could have made it work, but they didn't want to and that's dissapointing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same :)

Lunar15

I don't think the HS setting is what Persona is all about. They could have made it work, but they didn't want to and that's dissapointing. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the same :)

Hashino has stated in multiple interviews that he believes the core themes of persona to be High School, friends, and Personas.

I'm going to say it out loud so listen.

Highschoolers are screwing. Get used to it. Teach them proper protection and let it be. Think the majority of the world doesn't have 18/21 to be honest but early teens(14+).

This, it's happening early. I had my first experience at 13 and so did a lot of other kids that age in my school.

Not saying P5 needs to include this or full on scenes. Just that it is happening and they can if they want.

Faustek

I fully agree but it still doesn't mean some of us can't wish for it.

I personally would love to see a game where we see Sakurai's(Devil Summoner:Soul hackers) perspective. With Demons ofc. Where he runs around keeping everyone alive and well.

Not saying it will be a Persona game but you know, something us older Ladies and Gentlemen can enjoy(still enjoy playing as a teen thou, aah simpler times)...but honestly I remember more about my HS years than my mid twenties. And to tell you the truth I was drinking more during my HS years than I have ever done in my life, sans military times. To be silly, perhaps something like "Devil Grownups"

EDIT:And I just realized I haven't(many others as well) haven't been following the initial topic..forgive me duckroll, you can enroll me in the slave(never neko-mimi) program as punishment if you see that fit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This, it's happening early. I had my first experience at 13 and so did a lot of other kids that age in my school.

Not saying P5 needs to include this or full on scenes. Just that it is happening and they can if they want.
Considering how anime-influenced the Persona series is, you'd be lucky if you have two characters hold hands. lol

Maybe if school exams really do end up being a focus here, they could add a little bit of a bonus to answering the pop-up questions in class. Like a small bonus to XP next time you go to the dungeon, boosted resistance to status effects, ect.

Looks like Dengeki did have some sort of feature on Persona 5 after all. Not a ton of info, but they confirm that the setting of the chairs in the teaser is a highschool classroom. The theme of the game is about the emotion joy of being released after overcoming trials - hence the imagery of chairs and chains. The game will continue to be focused on school juvenile setting of the series, but the tone this time will be completely different.

Edit: Before there are more "Dark Souls!!!" replies, I think I'll clarify:

They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains. I would say that the theory about it being about pressure and stress from the Japanese school system is probably a very good guess.

Looks interesting.

I hope it comes in the side of "Highschool is actually hell" and not in the way of "Highschool's years are the best years of your life", specially when in recent years it seems that Anime likes to paint highschool as some Idyllic period. I know is because cultural contexts, but...

It would be a nice contrast with P4 lightheartened tone.

Mononoke

Banned
Maybe if school exams really do end up being a focus here, they could add a little bit of a bonus to answering the pop-up questions in class. Like a small bonus to XP next time you go to the dungeon, boosted resistance to status effects, ect.

I actually wouldn't mind school exams going even further. They should allow you to unlock special abilities. Just give us more incentive to actually doing them.

Stark

Banned

And Hashino/ATLUS have a perfectly valid reason for not doing it.

Top Bottom