• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

silva1991

Once unlocked, I pretty much set one character

I'm probably not even halfway through P3: FES, and I've still got P4 to go before I try out P5.

Persona 4: Golden is pretty much said to be the best version of P4, right? Like, I don't want to buy a Vita literally just to play that.

Best version, but you won't miss out on what makes P4 special if you play the PS2 version.

nOoblet16

12/24 (massive post boss spoiler):
Final boss was insane. Felt like a true final boss too with all the crazy stuff to deal with. After that fight tho...Mona ;_;

Then Joker turning himself in?! Fuck me and this guy...dude is a boss
A true leader !

MTC100

Banned
Finished at 86 hours, one of the best JRPG's I've ever played and by far the best Persona game.

Little disappointed there wasn't anything extra. The story development by the last palace and after was a little too cliche for a game that was pretty chill up until that point.

Wow, you rushed through it, eh? Took me 118 hours to finish the game.

zulux21

LMAO

first time I run into a special monster in palace 5 and also the first time Futaba's special
sometimes triggers a hold up at the start of the battle goes off

Palace 5 theme the best? This must be opposite day !!

it's the best of the first 5 at least :p
it's just fun to listen to.

nOoblet16

Why does this stupid fish never spawn ?

LMAO

first time I run into a special monster in palace 5 and also the first time Futaba's special
sometimes triggers a hold up at the start of the battle goes off

it's the best of the first 5 at least :p
it's just fun to listen to.
Considering palace 3 and especially palace 4 themes exist I respectfully disagree. Then again I've always hated bass heavy music with a passion.

FluxWaveZ

I really want a full version of the instrumental "Last Surprise" that plays during PV02. Kinda surprised one never played in one of the initial battles.

Sölf

Well, here is my opinion of the game. Or, to be more precises, since the game is a 10/10 for me and one of the best games I have played, I will only list the negative aspects, which could be improved upon in future games or even in a potential P5G.

Spoilers incoming, read this only after beating the whole game.

As said before, I will list only negative aspects:

- The first part of Palace 5 was annoying. Get this Keycard, get that one. Especially annoying since enemies respawn so often and you have to fight them most of the time.
Which leads me to one of the most annoying points:

- The whole gameplay has this "Thief" Gameplay, you can hide behind objects, you can avoid enemies... except you can't really. You have to fight most enemies, because on one hand, you are underleveled if you don't (at least on hard mode) and on the other hand, most often enemies patrol in narrow passages, where you can't avoid them even if you try to. Which also leads me to another point...

- This whole "Hide" mechanic could have been improved upon. Or, at least it could have been used more often in order to actually get past enemies without fighting them.
The first palace has this section before you enter the tower, where several strong enemies patrol and you have to sneak past them. Sadly, that's more or less the only time something like this was done. After that, you only hide in order to ambush enemies.

- Palace 7 is way to long and holy shit this mice gimmick got annoying after the second time. Especially since all those maps are only floors upon floors upon floors with patrolling enemies you have to fight, ugh.

- Also, as much as it made sense storywise, it would be great if some form of gameplay would happen in the last few months. Even if only some daily stuff in the last month when you are there. This is a minor issue though.

Well, those are probably my biggest complaints and even those are rather small. Good game is good.

Zephyx

The end of palace 5.

Looks like the assassin is a woman so it's definitely not Goro. Maybe Sae? She's the only remaining relevant female character.

Ultimadrago

Sölf;234406293 said:
Well, here is my opinion of the game. Or, to be more precises, since the game is a 10/10 for me and one of the best games I have played, I will only list the negative aspects, which could be improved upon in future games or even in a potential P5G.

- The whole gameplay has this "Thief" Gameplay, you can hide behind objects, you can avoid enemies... except you can't really. You have to fight most enemies, because on one hand, you are underleveled if you don't (at least on hard mode) and on the other hand, most often enemies patrol in narrow passages, where you can't avoid them even if you try to. Which also leads me to another point...

- This whole "Hide" mechanic could have been improved upon. Or, at least it could have been used more often in order to actually get past enemies without fighting them.
The first palace has this section before you enter the tower, where several strong enemies patrol and you have to sneak past them. Sadly, that's more or less the only time something like this was done. After that, you only hide in order to ambush enemies.

Well, those are probably my biggest complaints and even those are rather small. Good game is good.

I really agree with these parts. To expand,
I appreciate the inclusion of these mechanics to mix up RPG dungeon crawling, but they largely amount to what you wrote here (a different way to run into the same encounters) and I found that unsatisfying. Don't get me wrong, Ambushing is a satisfying set of animations, but there's not enough of them to mix up hundreds of encounters and it ends up being the only cathartic option to approaching most enemies via stealth. The real portion of the stealth mechanics are actually found within the Ace Tools you can create at home. One of them actually gives you the ability to sneak past while invisible or send a group of enemies to sleep. But I wish the game did a better job of incorporating and incentivizing pure undetected stealth into the level design rather than it simply being relegated to optional items and some nice (Vents, Camera Disabling), but ultimately underutilized palette of required bulletpoints.

I'm now almost 100 hours in, playing merciless since beginning and reading every shit really.

But now I have finally enough. I can't stand these repeating akward chats anymore...

This is the first game that I've ever LOVED but am okay taking it very slow. I've been playing a lot of Overwatch, and Zelda is a game that you can multitask with (portable) unlike Persona, so play time is hard to come by. But every time I get a couple hours with it I'm amazed how good it is. It seems like a good game to take it slow anyway, when I get near the end it's going to feel like such an epic journey coming to an end.

I've only played for like 16 hours since release, but it still might be the best game I've played in this insanely good year (ask me in December about Zelda or P5, but the point stands.)

Opa-Pa

It's a pretty popular opinion that FES is inferior to P3P because it doesn't have the FeMC route and you rely on your teammates' AI, but in truth P3P's difficulty balance is a joke because it wasn't modified to take into account that you have control of your entire party.

I consider the AI thing a baffling design choice too, but you do get used to it and it works as intended for the most part (yes Akihiko, you can hit enemies even if you do neutral damage... No need to pass).

If you want to play as a girl tho definitely go for P3P, that's obvious.

I can't be the only person out there who almost never found the dungeons tedious. The only time that started to happen for me was right around the end of dungeon 5 and a bit of (ENDGAME)
Mementos Depths, because it was sadly pretty flatly designed.

I really like dungeon crawling though. Etrian Odyssey would be a favourite series if the stories and context were less generic medieval fantasy. As it is I really enjoyed both Strange Journey and Persona Q. Even Palace 7 didn't bother me because I kind of enjoyed the feel of sneaking around in a big maze like that.

I think it's pretty clear their approach in this was supposed to be similar to EO and SJ. Dungeons are intentionally longer than your SP allows you to traverse so that you have to take SP management in account and fight accordingly (just exploiting weaknesses left and right sure is easy... When you have infinite SP!). The problem is that the game lets you bypass this too easily with the adhesives and lets player brute force their way instead.

I don't think it's a coincidence that from all the complaints I've seen about dungeons dragging on or being too long, they mostly come either from people who got the adhesives as soon as possible or people who play for the social aspect anyway. How can dungeons not be annoying to you if you play them in a way that wasn't intended, let alone if you don't enjoy the combat in the first place?

I don't think they're perfect or that they're above criticism, but context matters.

Personally I've enjoyed them all (5th the least, but still fun), but I play these games primarily for the dungeons and combat and see the social part as downtime between them, so I obviously don't consider spending an extra day in them "a waste of time".

Once unlocked, in P3 I pretty much set one character to 'support/heal' no matter what battle I was in and that's all they ever did.

I'm probably not even halfway through P3: FES, and I've still got P4 to go before I try out P5...

Persona 4: Golden is pretty much said to be the best version of P4, right? Like, I don't want to buy a Vita literally just to play that.

Golden is the most complete version, but it does suffer a bit because of the new bits depending on who you ask. They added a lot of new events and cutscenes but IMO some of them are pretty bad, and the game balance was thrown out of the window too, with so many new things to help you that it's actually hard not to end up overpowered... It also added arguably the worst character in the main series as a new focal point for the story and the new epilogue, while not bad, it's largely unnecessary and kinda ruins the original ending.

QoL additions and costumes are great though.

I say if you have the means to play the original and don't own a Vita, don't get one just for this game. For people who own one tho, it's still definitely a great version.

PK Gaming

11/20 (major spoilers)

Goddamn. This was it, the payoff to literally an entire game's worth of build up. And it totally paid off. Bulls-eye. KO.

The first thing worth talking about is Akechi. Him being the traitor is literally the worst kept secret, ever. If you weren't outright spoiled from a twitter bot, various comments from twitter/forums and the near fanatisicm for the character heavily implied that he's shady. And the game doesn't even begin to hide it. He blackmails his way into the group. His combat lines are comically evil. He's opposed you from the very beginning. His acting skills suck. The thing is, Akechi being the traitor isn't the main twist though. The REAL twist was that the Phantom Thieves were completely aware of his incidious nature. And it totally makes the 6th dungeon hilarious in retrospect. I can definitely imagine them gritting their teeth and "cooperating" with him in spite of how evil he was. (And man, they didn't hold back with him. He killed Wakaba and Haru's dad... jesus). It's incredibly refreshing to be a part of a group of characters who are frighteningly competent. It's common for JRPG groups to be blindsided by traitors and lament it afterwards, but they took precautions, set him up, and won. And that to me, was satisfying as hell. I especially liked the presentation, which was incredibly heist-like. Really, that entire sequence was incredibly un-Persona like.

Sae being turned over was well done; they didn't even need to steal her treasure in the end, which was a nice twist on the concept of improving yourself as a person. Sojiro and Sae being clued in general is a great subversion on the whole "adults being kept in the dark about stuff" that was the standard for the previous Persona game. I can only guess at where the story goes from here. Shido and Goro are in for a major asskicking though.

The Phantom Thieves are making a comeback.

Kolx

Priestess: 9
empress: 4
Hermit: 8
Strength: 9
hanged: 8
Star: 9

I'm already at the last day of the 6th palace (big spoiler)
going to steal Sae heart
. Can I finish all of this before the end of the game?

nOoblet16

Sölf;234406293 said:

As said before, I will list only negative aspects:

- The first part of Palace 5 was annoying. Get this Keycard, get that one. Especially annoying since enemies respawn so often and you have to fight them most of the time.
Which leads me to one of the most annoying points:

- Palace 7 is way to long and holy shit this mice gimmick got annoying after the second time. Especially since all those maps are only floors upon floors upon floors with patrolling enemies you have to fight, ugh.

- Also, as much as it made sense storywise, it would be great if some form of gameplay would happen in the last few months. Even if only some daily stuff in the last month when you are there. This is a minor issue though.

The hide stuff works in every palace, you can pretty much traverse any room or corridor without fighting because A) you are completely invisible while in cover, B) enemies don't notice you if you are walking behind them so you can literally walk behind them and take cover next to them and wait for them to turn and then go past them. Almost every single fight in Palace 7 and palace 5, the two with the most amount of cramped enemies.

Zakalwe

Banned
I would like it if you could prevent shadows from offering their services again when you ask for money/items from a previously owned persona.

I know it's only one more thing to click through but it's a bit annoying.

nOoblet16

I would like it if you could prevent shadows from offering their services again when you ask for money/items from a previously owned persona.

I know it's only one more thing to click through but it's a bit annoying.
Yes it's pointless to have it there, if you are selecting "I want money/item" then you have already decided to not select "Lend me your powers". There is no reason for them to offer it again, much less have it be the first and default option when you select "I want money/item".

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dat feel when all the confidants available are maxed and its raining so you cant even get a affinity reading ;_;

Guess ill take the burger challenge again then, guts is my final stat left to max.

141:05 Hours played

I just beat the game and watched the credits roll. I need time to gather my thoughts.

What I did do

I maxed out all my social stats

I maxed 10 of the social links but neither were Sun and Fortune which I guess would've helped me whenever I decide to start a new game plus.

What I didn't do

I didn't complete the demon registry.

I didn't max out all the social links

From what I got on Gaf there's a
unbreakable lock pick
I can create. I don't even know how to go about that.

Everything else I need to do to Platinum this game. I've never Platinum a game before but want to for this game but who knows when they'll happen.

Other then that Persona 5 surpassed everything I could've hope for this game. With that out the way, I will lurk here for awhile more and respond or share opinions but won't start another play threw. I'm done sacrificing sleep to play this. (For now atleast).

Mendrox

Once unlocked, in P3 I pretty much set one character to 'support/heal' no matter what battle I was in and that's all they ever did.

I'm probably not even halfway through P3: FES, and I've still got P4 to go before I try out P5...

Play Persona 4 Golden. It has lots of more content (about 10-15 hours) and is just way superior to the original. The quality of life changes made the game a masterpiece.

Soundtrack ranking for me: DDS 1&2 > Raidou 1&2 > P5 = Nocturne > P3 > P4

Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2 is still Meguro's best work. But what about Catherine, Maken X, Persona 2 Innocent Sin & Eternal Punishment, Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, and Persona 1 (both PSP soundtrack and PSX soundtrack)? Those are all great soundtracks to me too.

My ranking of Meguro's soundtracks:
DDS1&2 > SMT3: Nocturne > Persona 2 > Soul Hackers > Raidou 1&2 > Catherine > Maken X > Persona 5 (so far) > Strange Journey > Persona 1 (PS1) > Persona 4 > Persona 3/Persona 1 (PSP)

They're all really good and even those at the end of my list have a couple of standout tracks anyway. One of my favourite composers, definitely.

Chaos17

11/20 (major spoilers)

Goddamn. This was it, the payoff to literally an entire game's worth of build up. And it totally paid off. Bulls-eye. KO.

The first thing worth talking about is Akechi. Him being the traitor is literally the worst kept secret, ever. If you weren't outright spoiled from a twitter bot, various comments from twitter/forums and the near fanatisicm for the character heavily implied that he's shady. And the game doesn't even begin to hide it. He blackmails his way into the group. His combat lines are comically evil. He's opposed you from the very beginning. His acting skills suck. The thing is, Akechi being the traitor isn't the main twist though. The REAL twist was that the Phantom Thieves were completely aware of his incidious nature. And it totally makes the 6th dungeon hilarious in retrospect. I can definitely imagine them gritting their teeth and "cooperating" with him in spite of how evil he was. (And man, they didn't hold back with him. He killed Wakaba and Haru's dad... jesus). It's incredibly refreshing to be a part of a group of characters who are frighteningly competent. It's common for JRPG groups to be blindsided by traitors and lament it afterwards, but they took precautions, set him up, and won. And that to me, was satisfying as hell. I especially liked the presentation, which was incredibly heist-like. Really, that entire sequence was incredibly un-Persona like.

Sae being turned over was well done; they didn't even need to steal her treasure in the end, which was a nice twist on the concept of improving yourself as a person. Sojiro and Sae being clued in general is a great subversion on the whole "adults being kept in the dark about stuff" that was the standard for the previous Persona game. I can only guess at where the story goes from here. Shido and Goro are in for a major asskicking though.

The Phantom Thieves are making a comeback.

I would've agreeded with you about Akechi if Atlus didn't blured the cuted memories... but I do liked how they trolled him, it's just too bad that the build up was mad like you described. That was underwhelming for me when I saw the twist. So I felt bitter when the story picked up only at that moment. I wish the main story would've build up more properly through the whole game.
I wish thought we could've recruited Sae.

jrush64

Banned
How many requests from Mementos are there in total? Does Mementos have like an end game or something?

I just reached the 3rd palace and I have like 4 requests. I'm planning to marathon all of them in 1 sitting if possible... and hope I run into the reaper.

DNAbro

I almost messed up and forgot to look at a message from Mishima which had a request in it. That would have sucked to have to play the game a 3rd time just for that request.

Zafir

I almost messed up and forgot to look at a message from Mishima which had a request in it. That would have sucked to have to play the game a 3rd time just for that request.

I almost did that on my second playthrough too.

So easy to do since you end up ignoring texts on the second playthrough.

Top Bottom