• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

at the 7th place and I'm a little disappointed; not at the palace but eveything leading up to it after the events of the 6th palace, the culprit was so obvious if was almost insulting...P3 had a better betrayal and P4G had the bettter culprit.

102 hours and done !

What an inconsistent game, you can tell there were some parts that were handled by various developpers that are not all talented (the palaces felt like that at least, first one was amazing but the next were completely different and not always as good).

But man, how can I say I didn't love it after I cried at the ending

Szadek

Priestess: 9
empress: 4
Hermit: 8
Strength: 9
hanged: 8
Star: 9

I'm already at the last day of the 6th palace (big spoiler)
going to steal Sae heart
. Can I finish all of this before the end of the game?
Easily. At that point I was almost twice as many ranks away from getting everything and I still pulled it off.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
at the 7th place and I'm a little disappointed; not at the palace but eveything leading up to it after the events of the 6th palace, the culprit was so obvious if was almost insulting...P3 had a better betrayal and P4G had the bettter culprit.

I think the culprit being obvious is the entire point. I mean
the team figured him out super easily. That is the twist. How THEY were fooling him the entire time. To me that's a much better twist than anything in P3 and P4. And Adachi was obvious as HELL too.

I can't be the only person out there who almost never found the dungeons tedious.

Absolutely not. The best dungeons in the entire Persona series, and the only Palace I disliked was 3. But then again the Persona 5 hate train is strong. I don't think I've ever seen such a critically acclaimed game take such a drubbing from gaffers. Developers aren't talented...Jesus.

_Ryo_

Yeah, I knew about being able to relearn skills in the confessional. But can you re-learn more than one skill at a time? I already know you can only learn one character per visit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so is there still a "free period of time until the deadline" before Palace 7?

I know
12/24
is the last "gameplay" day and im on
11/18
now about to do the Palace 6 boss so Im assuming ill still have some chances for a couple more max confidants (probably Yusuke who is at 9 and sojiro who is at 8, maybe hifune aswell. No hope for Haru / arcade kid / gun guy tho and I dont know how
Akechi
works).

Chaos17

at the 7th place and I'm a little disappointed; not at the palace but eveything leading up to it after the events of the 6th palace, the culprit was so obvious if was almost insulting...

Agreed, if only the writer of Phoenix wright was hired for that game Q.Q (I'm talking about the triology not the ones after them).

Nope

PK Gaming

P3 had one of the worst betrayals in gaming. Just completely terrible on every level.

tiva

Neo Member
I really dislike the dungeon gameplay, I think it's really tedious and annoying. I love the story though, so I'm thinking of switching to safety mode just to blast through it. I would feel like a bit of a wimp though because I'm used to playing games on hard... anyone else here played the game on safety mode? what are your thoughts on it

Dunno if it was discussed here already but someone on twitter was saying Hifumi had been planned to be playable but was cut for time/didn't fit in the story.

I think the culprit being obvious is the entire point. I mean
the team figured him out super easily. That is the twist. How THEY were fooling him the entire time. To me that's a much better twist than anything in P3 and P4. And Adachi was obvious as HELL too.

Absolutely not. The best dungeons in the entire Persona series, and the only Palace I disliked was 3. But then again the Persona 5 hate train is strong. I don't think I've ever seen such a critically acclaimed game take such a drubbing from gaffers. Developers aren't talented...Jesus.

People have a hard for nostalgia when it comes to P3 and P4, that's all it really is. The dungeons are 10x better in P5 than they were in previous Persona games. Good enemy variety (Kaneko demons being back), puzzles, stealth, different themes each time with intricately designed levels, shortcuts, more combat choices (guns are back, negotiations are back, more spells including some old school ones from P1 returning), QoL improvements with regards to party members swap outs, faster battles, no party members telling you what the weakness is right away, more challenging battles etc. Just far, far better overall. Only negative is the calling card crap which prolongs the inevitable boss battle.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I would've agreeded with you about Akechi if Atlus didn't blured the cuted memories... but I do liked how they trolled him, it's just too bad that the build up was mad like you described. That was underwhelming for me when I saw the twist. So I felt bitter when the story picked up only at that moment. I wish the main story would've build up more properly through the whole game.
I wish thought we could've recruited Sae.

But that wouldn't work at all.
The entire game is leading up to catching up with the framing device. They can't spoil that the team knows about Akechi until after Palace 6.
Plus the blurry scenes make sense in context (the drugs). Plus the story had picked up at that point. The moment we learn about Wakaba Isshiki's research is went the story actually kick into overdrive because it explains everything that has been happening.

Honestly I'm really glad the story didn't play out the way you wanted, because then it'd be in the game is shit team too haha.

People have a hard for nostalgia when it comes to P3 and P4, that's all it really is. The dungeons are 10x better in P5 than they were in previous Persona games. Good enemy variety (Kaneko demons being back), puzzles, stealth, different themes each time with intricately designed levels, shortcuts, more combat choices (guns are back, negotiations are back, more spells including some old school ones from P1 returning), QoL improvements with regards to party members swap outs, faster battles, no party members telling you what the weakness is right away, more challenging battles etc. Just far, far better overall. Only negative is the calling card crap which prolongs the inevitable boss battle.

Agreed on all counts. But man it really hits me when I read that the developers aren't talented. The hate is just...ridiculous IMO. And I love the calling cards because it gives one final breather before the bosses. Aka fresh HP and SP.

Setsu00

The entire game is leading up to catching up with the framing device. They can't spoil that the team knows about Akechi until after Palace 6.
Plus the blurry scenes make sense in context (the drugs). Plus the story had picked up at that point. The moment we learn about Wakaba Isshiki's research is went the story actually kick into overdrive because it explains everything that has been happening.

Honestly I'm really glad the story didn't play out the way you wanted, because then it'd be in the game is shit team too haha.

The drugs blocking all the relevant memories about Akechi save for the pancake scene during the TV station trip seemed a bit too convienent for my tastes, but the payoff is worth it.

daveo42

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks that the first palace was the best (by a wide margin) ?

Maybe. I'd say it's one weakest of the bunch, but at least better than 7. 3,4,5,6 were all superior, though my favorite overall was probably 6. 5 isn't great for the first portion, but it's still a real good dungeon.

I absolutely disagree.
Hoshi to Bokura to
made me super emotional.

I think the events that lead up to the end were far more emotional. The end was more
seeing your rag-tag team one last time. I have to agree that everyone felt less like close friends by the end like in 4 and more like compatriots or "confidants" drawn to a capable leader.
Still a solid ending, but just hearing Never More leaves me in a puddle of tears all these years later.

Rocwell

Well I just got to the treasure room for the
th Palace. Should I send the calling card right away or wait until the last day?

Guess Who

Banned
I can't help but wonder if she was meant to have Makoto's role of being the replacement tactician for Morgana. It seems weird that Hifumi teaches you tactics which lets you have more options in combat while your team tactician has nothing to give. Would also explain why Makoto's slink feels so half baked :p

All the party members have basically the same level-up abilities by design - it would suck if Makoto wasn't able to Baton Pass, or take a mortal blow, because they instead had her provide Hifumi's abilities. The one unique ability she does get is tactical, though (she
lets you see if an enemy nulls/repels/absorbs an attack before you do it)

Setsu00

I think the events that lead up to the end were far more emotional. The end was more
seeing your rag-tag team one last time. I have to agree that everyone felt less like close friends by the end like in 4 and more like compatriots or "confidants" drawn to a capable leader.
Still a solid ending, but just hearing Never More leaves me in a puddle of tears all these years later.

I guess the reason why I put Hoshi to Bokura to above Never More is that the former song has something to say beyond the game's narrative. It hammers down the point that life can change if you're willing to fight for it, and that's something that spoke to me more than the admittedly emotional goodbye that is Never More.

Chaos17

I was not asking them to reveal more of that twist during the game, lol I was talking about the general build up of main story that lead to Shido. You should understand since you liked some chapters more than others.

No one here say P5 is not technicaly superior to previous games. Nostalgia feeling is about the story/writing in general, that players can't find in P5.

Opa-Pa

I know
12/24
is the last "gameplay" day and im on
11/18
now about to do the Palace 6 boss so Im assuming ill still have some chances for a couple more max confidants (probably Yusuke who is at 9 and sojiro who is at 8, maybe hifune aswell. No hope for Haru / arcade kid / gun guy tho and I dont know how
Akechi
works).

Uuh yes you do get time. In fact Morgana will straight up tell you to use your time to bond with friends this time. I've been ranking up with SLs for a while now, now it's 11/28, I'm bonding with Haru and have 20 days left till the deadline.

Going back to P4 after P5 is...hard. Though I haven't played it since 2012 lmao.

First time trying Golden actually and man Marie's already hella out of place.

Agreed on all counts. But man it really hits me when I read that the developers aren't talented. The hate is just...ridiculous IMO. And I love the calling cards because it gives one final breather before the bosses. Aka fresh HP and SP.

Right. I can think of the calling card scenario as good when you say that, it's just I am used to the SMT way of going through an entire dungeon and then fighting the boss at the end with what HP/MP or SP I have left (which normally gets followed up with another boss battle straight afterwards). Certainly adds to the tension of it all in mainline SMT. Still, I have been pleasantly surprised by the dungeons after my experience with P3 and P4, where it was easily the weakest part of the game, the dungeons in this game are probably my favourite part of the game due to the combat being so fun, the bosses being really fun to fight, the music being consistently excellent and the levels being so well designed. Takes me back to PS2 era Atlus. I've missed Hashino's work.

Cant stop thinking about this game since I finished it on Sunday. I will have to play through it a second time, but I feel like a better version will come out. ;_;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdbKnN2G4_c

;_;7

That just means you play it again when it does.

I'm playing through a second time currently and having just as much fun as I did the first. It's just a quality game, but admittedly, I do this with every Persona main series game. Immediate second playthrough.

Hmm halfway through 7th Palace and it hasn't been super bad yet.

I am overlevelled for this though.

I keep hearing mixed stuff about it. There's no way in hell it's any worse than Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse's final dungeon. Now that, was shit. Went on fucking forever.

All the party members have basically the same level-up abilities by design - it would suck if Makoto wasn't able to Baton Pass, or take a mortal blow, because they instead had her provide Hifumi's abilities. The one unique ability she does get is tactical, though (she
lets you see if an enemy nulls/repels/absorbs an attack before you do it)

I mean you could have worked around that fairly easily like they did with Yusuke's slink.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Right. I can think of the calling card scenario as good when you say that, it's just I am used to the SMT way of going through an entire dungeon and then fighting the boss at the end with what HP/MP or SP I have left (which normally gets followed up with another boss battle straight afterwards). Certainly adds to the tension of it all in mainline SMT. Still, I have been pleasantly surprised by the dungeons after my experience with P3 and P4, where it was easily the weakest part of the game, the dungeons in this game are probably my favourite part of the game due to the combat being so fun, the bosses being really fun to fight, the music being consistently excellent and the levels being so well designed. Takes me back to PS2 era Atlus. I've missed Hashino's work.

Palace 5's boss is about the most SMT Persona has been ever, in terms of challenge and fun unfairness. It was such an absolute blast. And the dungeons are fantastic. So, so good. Almost like mini Resident Evils, with backtracking, key item hunting, the puzzles (so good), and shortcut opening. Also probably my favorite part of the game.

daveo42

Banned
I guess the reason why I put Hoshi to Bokura to above Never More is that the former song has something to say beyond the game's narrative. It hammers down the point that life can change if you're willing to fight for it, and that's something that spoke to me more than the admittedly emotional goodbye that is Never More.

Reading the lyrics does change things a bit. "Let's go back, all of us, to the future, that we aimed at." I need to go lay down for a bit...

BigAT

Will there ever be more than 1 target available at a time in
Mementos
? I feel like I waste my time going in there for just one since I clear it so easily, but I'm not sure if there is any point in waiting for an additional target to show up.

Opa-Pa

I keep hearing mixed stuff about it. There's no way in hell it's any worse than Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse's final dungeon. Now that, was shit. Went on fucking forever.

In retrospect it's good that we already know what a bottom tier dungeon is, so nothing in here can be worse than that lol. I just arrived to dungeon 7 so I don't know all the gimmicks yet, but I'll doubt it'll be too bad.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Will there ever be more than 1 target available at a time in
Mementos
? I feel like I waste my time going in there for just one since I clear it so easily, but I'm not sure if there is any point in waiting for an additional target to show up.

Yes, targets can stack. Just rack up a bunch and go to town.

Top Bottom