• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Toki767

More more.

I don't know how people beat the game at 90 hours.
Then again I actively did the social links.

I finished at 110 hours and was kinda rushing the dialogue towards the end (I skipped reading the texts). This game beats DQVII (PS1) in terms of length.

Got my platinum in barely under 100 hours. But I ignored a lot of the voiced dialogue after a while. There must be like a dozen hours of recorded lines for this game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What does that even mean?

I'm just about to fight the final boss at 84 hours. I have rushed nothing.

Got my platinum in barely under 100 hours. But I ignored a lot of the voiced dialogue after a while. There must be like a dozen hours of recorded lines for this game.

I think it's more like I read through the voiced dialogues instead of actively skipping them.

There's tons of dialogue and cutscenes can reach hours actually, but I didn't skip a lot of them (maybe speed reading the social link dialogues). So I'm guessing a good bulk of the hours is in the dialogue reading.

Dantis

I think it's more like I read through the voiced dialogues instead of actively skipping them.

There's tons of dialogue and cutscenes can reach hours actually, but I didn't skip a lot of them (maybe speed reading the social link dialogues). So I'm guessing a good bulk of the hours is in the dialogue reading.
I have the dialogue on auto-play. Didn't skip a thing!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
These last few days are so frustrating, Iwai and Haru havent shown up in 2 days/nights (actually 3 for Iwai) so im literally just wasting time because my stats and every other confidant is maxed :(

Edit: and no Haru again. Yeah this isnt happening.

Dragner

Oh yeah I forgot
Futaba. Futaba and Sojiro actually care a lot about you they are your family after all

Also after endgame spoiler
Do you people think that the fact that Morgana survives and its still thinking of getting a body opens the door for a sequel?. It could be also a P4G extra chapter thing but I hope is the former since locating the extra chapter after everybody lose their powers would be hard to do.

Toki767

I definitely read all the voiced dialogues faster than they said them.

But I also made use of fast travel to get to places a lot of times so that probably cuts down on hours too.

I saw someone finish in 70 hours and I was wondering what he did.

Stalk

I finished up at 90 hours, did a fair few social links, experienced a lot of stuff around the map. Even did loads of persona fusing, but I am quite a fast reader and a lot of scenes were uh... not exactly filled with useful dialogue so occasionally I did speed reading.

I think it's natural people who have played one of these titles, or an SMT, before will probably have shorter play times. The game isn't particularly hard on lower difficulties either, just the occasional thing like when I was bumrushed by 5x Angels and everyone got Hama'd early on.

I was pretty disappointed with the game overall, I didn't regret playing it but I think the second act in general is a bit bland and some characters, the way they're introduced, are a bit pointless or just acting as space fillers. Like a certain Beauty...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I guess maxing all the confidants took a lot of time!

it's easily 100+ hours if you play on hard. i read very fast and only listen to some key scenes, otherwise skip. but i also want to fill the comp.....

Opa-Pa

Seriously though, all in all Palace 7 blew me away. I can't get over how damn good the end of it was, and now I'm genuinely worried that the rest of the game won't live up to it.

I do have my mixed feelings on some stuff though, mostly plot related
I thought Akechi's twist back after palace 6 was handled really well. I mean hadn't been because of that cop telling you at the beginning that one of your friends sold you out, I wouldn't have suspected him at all. I mean sure I obviously knew he had a persona since way back,
but Atlus teased him so much as the TOTALLY NOT THE LAST PARTY MEMBER, and insisted in "hinting" that Shido was the bad guy behind all so hard that I stupidly didn't think they were co operating at all.

PERSONA 4 SPOILERS STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT!!

Akechi was shaping up to be a better Adachi in every sense of the word, he has a past that makes his actions make sense (even though the backstory is exposed way too swiftly) and he's not just some spoiled idiot like Adachi, so he's generally great... Until they pull out that lame blood relation with Shido..
. Was that really necessary? And god did they really need to turn him in a tragic hero even though he was a legitimately awful human being? Haru are you seriously fucking concerned about him?... Everyone?...

Then again they "redeemed" fucking Adachi back in Ultimax of all characters, so nothing surprises me anymore. But it's disappointing because I didn't have any story complaints so far... And it sucks because conceptually Akechi is a great character, but I fear this will totally ruin him for me.

Oh well. Now I'm waiting for some asshole god to show up and reveal they were the puppet master all along

ULTROS!

I got all my confidants maxed...in 90 hours and 27 minutes on my first playthrough. :p

I think your speed reading skills are through the roof. :p

Toki767

I think your speed reading skills are through the roof. :p

The only one I was basically entirely uninterested in was Haru's.

She should be having these S Link scenes with Sojiro.

Until
you turn her down romantically.
That response was incredible.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Palace 7 deadline is up (its done I was just waiting for the deadline)... Iawai and Haru rank 9. How I feel right now

pXQbk.gif

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Wait so I'm not entirely sure how the rank 7 fortune ability works.

Is it just +1 (+2 if you have the persona of the same arcana) to your next encounter? Or does it just add the points regardless?

So like say I needed more points towards my next rank up event than I could get from just one reading, could I do two readings on two random days and then get the rank up event? Or do I have to do meet up with the person between readings?

LotusHD

Banned
You could say this about all the palaces, but man, if I died in Palace 7 I'd be so pissed lol

They make you work to see those safe rooms...

Wait so I'm not entirely sure how the rank 7 fortune ability works.

Is it just +1 (+2 if you have the persona of the same arcana) to your next encounter? Or does it just add the points regardless?

So like say I needed more points towards my next rank up event than I could get from just one reading, could I do two readings on two random days and then get the rank up event? Or do I have to do meet up with the person between readings?

Pretty sure it just adds a Confidant point. You can definitely just spend it on people that aren't ready to rank up until suddenly they are.

I hate Ann hard. Every time she appears, her texts, and any interaction with her I just feel like saying 'OMG SHUT UP'. It doesn't help that her dub is so bad and by far the worst of the cast. But honestly, she's such a stuck up B who is also whiny and annoying. Please die!

I actually like Ryuji, he's stupid but endearing. I think his dub in English helped him becoming likeable because his voice actor is quite good.

shmoglish

I got all my confidants maxed...in 90 hours and 27 minutes on my first playthrough. :p

I must be the slowest Gamer ever. Got like 10 links at max (plus the ones you dont need to max by yourself), rushed a few fights, did no powerleveling and maxed only 3 of 5 social stats. This took me almost 120 hours and I am still not through the game.

Rhaknar

Daaaamn
Haru
has by far the most heartbreaking reaction to being in the friend zone compared to the other girls :(

Edit: Iwai rank 10 ;_; Haruwhy...why Haru ;_;

Dragner

Also about Ryuji post palace 7
He saves everyone of dying with his athletic skills (lol) and also is given a beating for no real reason (he said he was unconscious in the grass he wasnt being dramatic for no reason ffs)

Only for that, he will always be the real brochacho.

Wazzy

Banned
I hate Ann hard. Every time she appears, her texts, and any interaction with her I just feel like saying 'OMG SHUT UP'. It doesn't help that her dub is so bad and by far the worst of the cast. But honestly, she's such a stuck up B who is also whiny and annoying. Please die!

I actually like Ryuji, he's stupid but endearing. I think his dub in English helped him becoming likeable because his voice actor is quite good.
There is far worse than Ann in the dub plus she's great I don't know what you're talking about.
Haru is easily the worst voice acting in the game

Dragner

Considering how clearly thirsty she is starting from like rank 2, I can imagine lol.

Yeah her,
and Futaba have clear feelings towards you from early on, is the total opposite from makoto that is like,
'Oh dear we are in rank 9 already?, wanna date, no, whatever'

I hate Ann hard. Every time she appears, her texts, and any interaction with her I just feel like saying 'OMG SHUT UP'. It doesn't help that her dub is so bad and by far the worst of the cast. But honestly, she's such a stuck up B who is also whiny and annoying. Please die

???...I think Ann suffers a lot from tone deaf characterization and generally being forgotten about after her arc unless we need someone to objectify but she's certainly not "stuck up", and she has some of the most solid voice work in the game. And then to find the guy who looks up her skirt and down her shirt endearing!

Jintor

Yeah her,
and Futaba have clear feelings towards you from early on, is the total opposite from makoto that is like,
'Oh dear we are in rank 9 already?, wanna date, no, whatever'

r u kidding makoto's entire slink is about
you pretending to be her boyfriend

sure she's not thirsty throughout but she's makoto

Mendrox

I have the dialogue on auto-play. Didn't skip a thing!

How? I skip text as soon as I finish reading (I am a fast reader) and the longest dungeon was the 6th for me with a little bit over 5 hours. I even was efficient with my confidants and time usage for my stats and even started using the forward function near the end of the game (or a lot more for repetive stuff in the months before). This is really confusing for me haha and yes I checked my dungeon times from my stream.

Seriously though, all in all Palace 7 blew me away. I can't get over how damn good the end of it was, and now I'm genuinely worried that the rest of the game won't live up to it.

I do have my mixed feelings on some stuff though, mostly plot related
I thought Akechi's twist back after palace 6 was handled really well. I mean hadn't been because of that cop telling you at the beginning that one of your friends sold you out, I wouldn't have suspected him at all. I mean sure I obviously knew he had a persona since way back,
but Atlus teased him so much as the TOTALLY NOT THE LAST PARTY MEMBER, and insisted in "hinting" that Shido was the bad guy behind all so hard that I stupidly didn't think they were co operating at all.

PERSONA 4 SPOILERS STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT!!

Akechi was shaping up to be a better Adachi in every sense of the word, he has a past that makes his actions make sense (even though the backstory is exposed way too swiftly) and he's not just some spoiled idiot like Adachi, so he's generally great... Until they pull out that lame blood relation with Shido..
. Was that really necessary? And god did they really need to turn him in a tragic hero even though he was a legitimately awful human being? Haru are you seriously fucking concerned about him?... Everyone?...

Then again they "redeemed" fucking Adachi back in Ultimax of all characters, so nothing surprises me anymore. But it's disappointing because I didn't have any story complaints so far... And it sucks because conceptually Akechi is a great character, but I fear this will totally ruin him for me.

Oh well. Now I'm waiting for some asshole god to show up and reveal they were the puppet master all along

Okay I have a lot of feelings about this.

I don't think that they meant for Akechi to be a "tragic hero" in the traditional sense, and I don't think that we can expect a redemption arc the way that Adachi got one. Akechi's death was his redemption. It was his realization that there's no turning back for him, there was no way to just leave the bed he made -- he had to lie in it. And the least he could do for his victims to atone is to save the Phantom Thieves, so that they can go on and do the right thing. Adachi never really had a moment like that. Adachi's thing at the end was just, "okay, you win, kill me, I lost." Which shows no growth or remorse or desire to make things right. He ended the game the way he started it: a pathetic fucking loser.

So, Akechi isn't a tragic hero. He's just tragic. Period. He's a tragic character, and they drove that point home with him saying that he wished he would've met the protagonist just a few years earlier. It didn't have to be this way for him; he didn't share Adachi's nihilism or even his cynicism. He was just a lonely kid with no one to rely on and therefore didn't have anyone in his life to say, "Hey, maybe this isn't a great idea, bro." He just wanted to be loved. It would've been a lot lamer IMO if he'd just been another Adachi who was a murderer for the sake of murdering. So, yes, the Shido relation was absolutely necessary in order to give him a motive that made him stand out.

In the end, Akechi knew that he couldn't make things right, but he could at least do the right thing right now, and maybe that'll be enough.

ULTROS!

The only one I was basically entirely uninterested in was Haru's.

She should be having these S Link scenes with Sojiro.

Until
you turn her down romantically.
That response was incredible.

i like haru ....

Rhaknar

I even did a reading and I know for a fact I would get rank 10 with Haru next time... goddamn it this is bothering me more than it should lol.

And whats worse is that I just had a evening free, but not the day so the evening folk were all there available :(

I hate the negotiation shit. I never get it right. I even looked up advice on it and it says reply based on their personality. Ok, but half the comments are so nondescript that it could be anything or answers like "I do., "I guess so" or "I don't think that's a problem". They're all the same thing! How the hell should I know which is correct? What a terrible, terrible game mechanic.

I hate the negotiation shit. I never get it right. I even looked up advice on it and it says reply based on their personality. Ok, but half the comments are so nondescript that it could be anything or answers like "I do., "I guess so" or "I don't think that's a problem". They're all the same thing! How the hell should I know which is correct?

you will learn how to decide by gut feeling in these games. communicating with insane creatures is fun. i rarely missed. you will get help later anyway.

nOoblet16

These last few days are so frustrating, Iwai and Haru havent shown up in 2 days/nights (actually 3 for Iwai) so im literally just wasting time because my stats and every other confidant is maxed :(

Edit: and no Haru again. Yeah this isnt happening.
Haru will show up almost every day the school is on, unless it's raining. She is probably the most consistent on with her timings (has to be since she is so late), the only other person who comes close to having consistent timing is Kawakami as she has fixed days for you to rank her up.

pixxxelz

aSbOdp1.jpg

Rhaknar

Haaaaaaru time on the motherfucking
22nd
after the
finals
baybeeee we did it fam!

Max confidants and max stats first playthrough no-guide (but lots of gaf help) woot.

I dont know why im so happy bit I am lol.

cheesekao

I hate the negotiation shit. I never get it right. I even looked up advice on it and it says reply based on their personality. Ok, but half the comments are so nondescript that it could be anything or answers like "I do., "I guess so" or "I don't think that's a problem". They're all the same thing! How the hell should I know which is correct? What a terrible, terrible game mechanic.
All the more reason to do the Tower confidant ASAP.

nOoblet16

There are only three different personality types and it tells you which type it is on the top left hand corner of the screen as soon as you hold them up (before you start negotiation). Except for "gloomy" type, which likes vague answers, they are all very easy to get right 100%. You can also rank up tower confidant so that instead of talking you press square to fire your gun next to them and scare them into joining you.

I like the negotiations in this game because 1) they're actually consistent, which is good for gameplay, but also by extension means 2) figuring out crazy demon logic actually becomes fun. Like in one negotiation the "kind" option is telling the Shadow you're going to make a coat out of him. Because that must mean he has a nice pelt!

Demon logic!

ULTROS!

The thing that I hate about Ryuji and Morgana is that they're rushing you to progress when there's something important to check out:

*sees an important item*
Ryuji: C'mon, let's ignore that important item and let's get a move on.

*sees important door*
Morgana: Never mind that! Let's get a move on.

STOP RUSHING!

nOoblet16

I'm at the end of November and I literally have nothing left to do lol. All I do is just sleep and pass my days, getting a bit close to real life here.

Toki767

I really like the Persona 5 soundtrack.

Though I have to say there is no song in the game that is as catchy as Shadow World in Persona 4 Golden.

Opa-Pa

Okay I have a lot of feelings about this.

I don't think that they meant for Akechi to be a "tragic hero" in the traditional sense, and I don't think that we can expect a redemption arc the way that Adachi got one. Akechi's death was his redemption. It was his realization that there's no turning back for him, there was no way to just leave the bed he made -- he had to lie in it. And the least he could do for his victims to atone is to save the Phantom Thieves, so that they can go on and do the right thing. Adachi never really had a moment like that. Adachi's thing at the end was just, "okay, you win, kill me, I lost." Which shows no growth or remorse or desire to make things right. He ended the game the way he started it: a pathetic fucking loser.

So, Akechi isn't a tragic hero. He's just tragic. Period. He's a tragic character, and they drove that point home with him saying that he wished he would've met the protagonist just a few years earlier. It didn't have to be this way for him; he didn't share Adachi's nihilism or even his cynicism. He was just a lonely kid with no one to rely on and therefore didn't have anyone in his life to say, "Hey, maybe this isn't a great idea, bro." He just wanted to be loved. It would've been a lot lamer IMO if he'd just been another Adachi who was a murderer for the sake of murdering. So, yes, the Shido relation was absolutely necessary in order to give him a motive that made him stand out.

In the end, Akechi knew that he couldn't make things right, but he could at least do the right thing right now, and maybe that'll be enough.

With Adachi I was mostly referring to his terrible and super forced redemption arc in Ultimax.

And I realize that Akechi has better reasons to act like he does, I also don't have a problem with him sacrificing himself in the end. My beef is with how the game clearly wanted me to feel sad about it and that's just impossible to me. I mean yeah guy had a difficult childhood but he's a goddamn psychopath and a serial murderer, and the fact that the phantoms feel bad enough for him to offer him join them is just puzzling,
and the whole "if only we met in different circumstances..." trope is ridiculously overdone.

Seriously the phantoms are consistently cold with bad guys in this game, no matter their background or anything at all, but now they feel bad for one of the most vile characters they've come across? One who killed one of them's father and almost murdered their leader, no less. It would have been awesome if they all felt conflicted at best, but seeing them practically wanting to avenge him is just cringey.

Top Bottom