• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
END GAME SPOILERS PAST PALACE 7

So I assume morgana and igor rank 10s are during this memento bit at the end?

Edit: well just got
Morgana
lol

With Adachi I was mostly referring to his terrible and super forced redemption arc in Ultimax.

And I realize that Akechi has better reasons to act like he does, I also don't have a problem with him sacrificing himself in the end. My beef is with how the game clearly wanted me to feel sad about it and that's just impossible to me. I mean yeah guy had a difficult childhood but he's a goddamn psychopath and a serial murderer, and the fact that the phantoms feel bad enough for him to offer him join them is just puzzling,
and the whole "if only we met in different circumstances..." trope is ridiculously overdone.

Seriously the phantoms are consistently cold with bad guys in this game, no matter their background or anything at all, but now they feel bad for one of the most vile characters they've come across? One who killed one of them's father and almost murdered their leader, no less. It would have been awesome if they all felt conflicted at best, but seeing them practically wanting to avenge him is just cringey.

I also have to wonder how much of that "you can be one of us" shit was sincere and how much of it was just them trying to talk him down from the edge, because the Thieves aren't murderers. They actually don't want anyone to die no matter how heinous they are, and Akechi more or less committed suicide right in front of their faces.

There's also the whole "it's us vs the rotten adults" trope that drives so many people here on GAF crazy. With the other bad guys in the game, the Thieves' reactions to them were basically, "You're an adult, you make your own decisions, take responsibility, do better." With Akechi, that poor dude was used and abused to all hell, and the team already knows that there's some good in him still. They looked at him as a victim of the broken system filled with shitheads that they were trying to reform. It's not a huge stretch to think that they look at Akechi as a beaten dog who's just learned to bite back, and any one of them could have turned out the way he did if they'd been pushed far enough by those "rotten adults." There is definitely a sense of hypocrisy in approaching the world this way, but teenagers by nature are hypocritical.

Wireframe

I hate the negotiation shit. I never get it right. I even looked up advice on it and it says reply based on their personality. Ok, but half the comments are so nondescript that it could be anything or answers like "I do., "I guess so" or "I don't think that's a problem". They're all the same thing! How the hell should I know which is correct? What a terrible, terrible game mechanic.

It can be super vague at times for sure. It just takes getting used to and picking up on subtleties. For example I do would be seen as straight forward and used for irritable personas, I guess so is more vague and suited to gloomy personas finally I don't think that's a problem given the context of the statement may be seen as joking which would be for upbeat personas.

END GAME SPOILERS PAST PALACE 7

So I assume morgana and igor rank 10s are during this memento bit at the end?

Edit: well just got
Morgana
lol

Why not just say post palace 7? Was endgame really necessary? I've only just finished palace 3 and now know to only expect 4 more...

Mediking

People who say the P3 cast isn't close...that's the entire point of the story. Their present lives and their pasts are completely fucked up, it's only natural that they're slow to open up to others. Throughout the whole game they start to let down barriers and get close to the other party members. By the end of The Answer you can tell that they've started to heal from their trauma and can finally look to a brighter future.

Thank you!!!!!

kromeo

The characters in 3 are mostly great, they're just not all best buds like in 4 and 5 (so far)

I'm not a massive fan of the guy who get's killed, I forget his name

sprinkles

Deep within the final dungeon now. I maxed out all social stats, but missed two confidents (4/10 Tower and 8/10 Hanged). It was a race at the end to max out Fortune and Empress - I finished one on the last possible day. Still I am happy with my progress without using any guide.
Now into the final hours!

Question about Kawakami's Confidant rewards:

Do you have to pay 5000 yen each time you want her to make coffee/curry/tools/do laundry/etc, or to get a massage so you can do stuff in the evening? That seems like a lot.

RalchAC

Seriously though, all in all Palace 7 blew me away. I can't get over how damn good the end of it was, and now I'm genuinely worried that the rest of the game won't live up to it.

I do have my mixed feelings on some stuff though, mostly plot related
I thought Akechi's twist back after palace 6 was handled really well. I mean hadn't been because of that cop telling you at the beginning that one of your friends sold you out, I wouldn't have suspected him at all. I mean sure I obviously knew he had a persona since way back,
but Atlus teased him so much as the TOTALLY NOT THE LAST PARTY MEMBER, and insisted in "hinting" that Shido was the bad guy behind all so hard that I stupidly didn't think they were co operating at all.

PERSONA 4 SPOILERS STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT!!

Akechi was shaping up to be a better Adachi in every sense of the word, he has a past that makes his actions make sense (even though the backstory is exposed way too swiftly) and he's not just some spoiled idiot like Adachi, so he's generally great... Until they pull out that lame blood relation with Shido..
. Was that really necessary? And god did they really need to turn him in a tragic hero even though he was a legitimately awful human being? Haru are you seriously fucking concerned about him?... Everyone?...

Then again they "redeemed" fucking Adachi back in Ultimax of all characters, so nothing surprises me anymore. But it's disappointing because I didn't have any story complaints so far... And it sucks because conceptually Akechi is a great character, but I fear this will totally ruin him for me.

Oh well. Now I'm waiting for some asshole god to show up and reveal they were the puppet master all along

Also about Ryuji post palace 7
He saves everyone of dying with his athletic skills (lol) and also is given a beating for no real reason (he said he was unconscious in the grass he wasnt being dramatic for no reason ffs)

Only for that, he will always be the real brochacho.

It's because of the line:
"come on, you don't look cute at all when you're crying!"
, which he says trying to lighten the mood and look cool but backfires.

Dugna

It's because of the line:
"come on, you don't look cute at all when you're crying!"
, which he says trying to lighten the mood and look cool but backfires.

That does remind me, I sorta want the next "Bro" to not be the punching bag of the group. I'm not saying people should worship him, but not like Yosuke.....I mean in PQ they even have a scene on the P4 side saying how the group (mostly the girls) like him being the punching bag because it creates stability or something.

RalchAC

That does remind me, I sorta want the next "Bro" to not be the punching bag of the group. I'm not saying people should worship him, but like not the Yosuke.....I mean in PQ they even have a scene on the P4 side saying how the group (mostly the girls) like him being the punching bag because it creates stability or something.

I didn't think he was the punching bag of the group. That's Mishima lol.

Besides Morgana being an absolute dick to him most of the game for no reason, most of the cast didn't call him out that often.

He feels more genuine that Yosuke in a sense. I think Ryuji doesn't luck your balls as much and his misfortunes aren't used as comedy relief that often.

He seems dumber than he actually is because the game uses him as a device to explain stuff to the player.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
damn this
last mementos
area gives so much xp

RalchAC

How likely will there be a Crimson Edition?

I would rather wait for that if there are inclinations to that.

There could be one a few years down the line, probably in conjunction with an anime of Persona 5 or something like that.

The game is a complete package on its own, I'd say. Although I got the feeling that the game had more "special Confidants" compared to previous entries since.

At least 4 of them level up as the story progresses and 2 of them need special conditions to be fulfilled instead of just hanging around with them. Not a complain, really. I like that there are Confidants that level up regardless of what you say, or "presure-free"

asagami_

Banned
I hate the negotiation shit. I never get it right. I even looked up advice on it and it says reply based on their personality. Ok, but half the comments are so nondescript that it could be anything or answers like "I do., "I guess so" or "I don't think that's a problem". They're all the same thing! How the hell should I know which is correct? What a terrible, terrible game mechanic.

Negotiation is not a terrible mechanic. It's not only a useful and fun way to recruit new Persona, it also helps to finish a combat without have to defeat the shadows, especially when a sigle one from them is already in your compendium.

RalchAC

Negotiation is not a terrible mechanic. It's not only a useful and fun way to recruit new Persona, it also helps to finish a combat without have to defeat the shadows, especially when a sigle one from them is already in your compendium.

I love negotiation. The fact that you can use Marin Karin and then the enemy joins you without having to Negotiate is cool when there is a specific high level Persona you want to recruit.

I think, after a full playthrough, I only have a problem knowing how to answer to Irritable Personas. Gloomy, Timid and Upbeat are easier to read for me.

They found a sweet middle ground between SMT and previous Persona games with the mechanic. Being able to know their personality type beforehand makes the process feel much less painful and more intuitive while still being interesting.

silva1991

JSueytO5O29yM.gif

It's one of the greatest things in this game and it has many benefits:

1- acquiring a persona(duh)
2- potentially getting way more money than the ones you get if you kill them
3- getting items
4- it can even save you from a difficult situation if you know that all-out attack won't kill the enemies.

Bonus:
- demons dialogues are hilarious sometimes.

Usobuko

Banned
There could be one a few years down the line, probably in conjunction with an anime of Persona 5 or something like that.

The game is a complete package on its own, I'd say. Although I got the feeling that the game had more "special Confidants" compared to previous entries since.

At least 4 of them level up as the story progresses and 2 of them need special conditions to be fulfilled instead of just hanging around with them. Not a complain, really. I like that there are Confidants that level up regardless of what you say, or "presure-free"
Without spoiler much...the game leaves the door open to sequels/extra chapters.

Thanks. I guess I can wait. I have yet to play P4 and it would feels like a downgrade if I hop from P5.

Moaradin

9/8

wait...
Mishima doesn't know we're the phantom thieves yet at this point in the story? Despite him clearly knowing pretty early on in the S-Link and Mementos quest?

Is this an oversight or am I missing something?

Jintor

9/8

wait...
Mishima doesn't know we're the phantom thieves yet at this point in the story? Despite him clearly knowing pretty early on in the S-Link and Mementos quest?

he's being 'secretive'

PaulloDEC

Fighting O
kumura
and things are going well. All but one of my party are full health.

Then out of nowhere, we're hit by a special attack that kills all of us in a single hit. No warning, no telegraph. Just boom, everyone dead.

What the hell is the point of that?

Negotiation is 100% guaranteed if you read about it in the turorial menu......

9/8

wait...

I always see him as the less competent Lucius Fox of the Phantom Theives.

shmoglish

Fighting O
kumura

Then out of nowhere, we're hit by a special attack that kills all of us in a single hit. No warning, no telegraph. Just boom, everyone dead.

The big bang burger Attack? Pretty sure you get a warning before.

???...I think Ann suffers a lot from tone deaf characterization and generally being forgotten about after her arc unless we need someone to objectify but she's certainly not "stuck up", and she has some of the most solid voice work in the game. And then to find the guy who looks up her skirt and down her shirt endearing!
It's good to note first that I am very early in the game still, so my impressions are quite superficial. (30 hours still, not at 3rd Palace still)

I don't find her voice work solid at all, I think her tone inflexions in English are not natural and often forced. Every time she speaks I can see the words coming out of the script and I am not sold on anything she says. I cannot connect with her because of that because all she speaks sounds forced and unnatural. I don't think it's the character per se, but the voice actor. Her motivations stripped from the voice are convincing, but the delivery, to me, completely missed the mark.

And yes, I think Ryuji is fine because, to me, unlike Ann, the voice actor manages to deliver Ryuji's line in an acceptable manner. Perv characters are very common in Japanese animation and if I were to disregard characters because of it I would have to throw away most modern animes (I would have to ignore the whole of the Chobits series and manga, and that would be sinful). It's an issue that exists. Besides that minor point in Ryuji, so far I found him the most interesting and entertaining, greatly boosted by the voice actor. I think his track team drama makes sense to how he acts in general and he is the one that came friend MC when everyone else was being distant (Ann included).

Lol.

Fighting O
kumura

Pretty sure that attack should have had a charge-up turn? Don't really remember--weird if it really used it without giving you any type of head's up at all. But either way there's a trick to that particular attack apparently if you want to know it. If not, just ignore this next part:

Shadow Okumura regularly tries to cast a hunger-status effect on your party while the Robot attack you. If you're hungry when the Big Bang Burger attack is used, it will heal you instead of killing you. Y'know... cause it's a food based attack. Felt like an idiot that I didn't figure that out at all during the fight itself and only realized it after.

Bullshit.

I want you to tell me how to decide if "I like curry" is serious, kind, funny or vague.

I have to agree with the others, negotiation is very easy to get right, all you have to see it which is the persona's personality and you can get the questions right. I got the question wrong only once in the first palace, after that I got all of them wrong. Yes, sometimes it's hard to find out which is what they want (Especially when you need to be vague) but generally it's straightforward.

Deimo5

It depends. What was the inital question? It's not that hard to figure out.

The other answers are protein and vegetables from what I remember. Whatever the question was, something about what food is good to eat.
Curry is the 'upbeat' choice out of these, at least considering the reputation of the other choices.
I was unsure of some other questions but not really with that one.

Moaradin

Negotiation is pretty easy most of the time. I do agree that there is some bullshit ones though. The "I like curry" is a good example. There's no possible way to know that beforehand.

It was also the answer for one of the vague questions. How is "I like curry" vague at all?

PaulloDEC

The big bang burger Attack? Pretty sure you get a warning before.

That's the one. Is it possible that a quirk of the turn-system left me without a round of moves between the tell and the attack? I'm pretty attuned to the warning moves after 60 hours of this game, and yet I'd swear I didn't get a chance to do anything on my attempt.

Pretty sure that attack should have had a charge-up turn? Don't really remember--weird if it really used it without giving you any type of head's up at all. But either way there's a trick to that particular attack apparently if you want to know it. If not, just ignore this next part:

Shadow Okumura regularly tries to cast a hunger-status effect on your party while the Robot attack you. If you're hungry when the Big Bang Burger attack is used, it will heal you instead of killing you. Y'know... cause it's a food based attack. Felt like an idiot that I didn't figure that out at all during the fight itself and only realized it after.

Oh wow, that's pretty neat! I'll keep it in mind for my next try, cheers!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
"You spent a long time with Sadayo...."

Fuck yeah I did.

Really love the attention to detail and small things like the floating hearts on the "take your time" whenever maxing out a romantic S link.

Negotiation is pretty easy most of the time. I do agree that there is some bullshit ones though. The "I like curry" is a good example. There's no possible way to know that beforehand.

It was also the answer for one of the vague questions. How is "I like curry" vague at all?

I can't tell if its an issue with the localization or if they intentionally had ones in Japanese that were harder to figure out the best answer. My issue with negotiations is they make every battle last longer since you now waste an extra 30-60 seconds getting them to join the team or trying to milk them for money. The bonus card system in p3/p4 kept things snappy.

Moaradin

he's being 'secretive'

Ok, the next day makes it pretty clear he has no idea at all. Even Ann is trying to be sly about it.

Weird how they made it like this. There are text messages before this point that are unavoidable (from what I can tell) that makes it clear that he knows. I can't remember this big of a disconnect between the story scenes and S Link stuff in the past persona games. Not as weird as this one.

nOoblet16

Whoever thought making 3 treasure demons exclusive to one dungeon (and subsequently the mementos area related to it) was being a massive dick.

I've come across five of them....FIVE instances that are already rare to find even with treasure traps. And yet all five of them turned out to be the same fuckin guy every single time !!!

I'm just after the third palace and I think I'm missing one Confidant. Of the ones you get later on I have
Ohya/reporter, the church/shugi girl, and the teach/maid
Is there one I'm missing or am I good?

cheesekao

I'm just after the third palace and I think I'm missing one Confidant. Of the ones you get later on I have
Ohya/reporter, the church/shugi girl, and the teach/maid
Is there one I'm missing or am I good?
It's probably the Tower confidant. You can unlock him sometime in September after doing a mementos quest.

nOoblet16

Ok, the next day makes it pretty clear he has no idea at all. Even Ann is trying to be sly about it.

Weird how they made it like this. There are text messages before this point that are unavoidable (from what I can tell) that makes it clear that he knows.
Yes he keeps saying "you guys" and "you" when referring to phantom thieves. When he started the Phantom site he also told Joker he knows "you guys" took down Kamoshida and he is quite obviously referring to Ann and Ryuji. Hell he has seen Ann, Ryuji and Joker together so many times that who else would he be referring to.

Yet sometimes he acts like he doesn't know who they are and sometimes he acts like he is only aware of Joker's identity. It's such a disconnect that either it's something lost in translation or an oversight.

Top Bottom