• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

OmegaDL50

I think there is a lot of wasted events in the game especially with the restriction of some Confidants not even showing up at all when they normally would or worse story elements forcing you to pick certain S.Links over others. To the point I felt I had far more free time and flexibility in Persona 4 Golden compared to Persona 5.

Having just finished Persona 5 yesterday, I started up a new game of P4G today putting a few hours into it and there is an immediate difference in how you can proceed through events or choose what to do with your free time.

I think the absolute worst was probably
October in P5, worst still being forced to turn yourself in late December skipping any potential Christmas event, and basically going straight to the end sequence except for part in which you are oh so conveniently released from Juvenile Hall the day before Valentine's Day. Just wasting the rest of February which could have been used for last social links instead skipping straight to the part you go home,
just seems like a bit of lost potential here. I don't feel incentivized to start NG+ either,
outside of the Caroline and Justine bonus fight. Certainly not enough to play all the way through a 2nd time at least.

Toki767

I think there is a lot of wasted events in the game especially with the restriction of some Confidants not even showing up at all when they normally would or worse story elements forcing you to pick certain S.Links over others. To the point I felt I had far more free time and flexibility in Persona 4 Golden compared to Persona 5.

Having just finished Persona 5 yesterday, I started up a new game of P4G today putting a few hours into it and there is an immediate difference in how you can proceed through events or choose what to do with your free time.

I think the absolute worst was probably
October in P5, worst still being forced to turn yourself in late December skipping any potential Christmas event, and basically going straight to the end sequence except for part in which you are oh so conveniently released from Juvenile Hall the day before Valentine's Day. Just wasting the rest of February which could have been used for last social links instead skipping straight to the part you go home,
just seems like a bit of lost potential here. I don't feel incentivized to start NG+ either,
outside of the Caroline and Justine bonus fight. Certainly not enough to play all the way through a 2nd time at least.

Well it was the same way in Persona 4. The only reason you had extra time in Persona 4 Golden was because of Marie.

RalchAC

Oh, yes, absolutely. When I made the comment that
you'd think it shouldn't have taken a confession
, I definitely didn't mean that in the sense that Persona 5's depiction of how that went down was somehow unrealistic. I meant it more in the sense that
it's all too common for people to turn a blind eye to things, even something as large as Kamoshida's crimes. I mean, we live in a world where Penn State happened.

There were a couple of great articles in the wake of a scandal up here in Canada involving (spoiler-tagged only because one could draw connections between this otherwise-unrelated story and some of the early-game plot)
a major media personality being accused of multiple cases of sexual assault, and how (article link) everyone kind of knew what was going on for years but in some ways willfully blinded ourselves to the truth or convinced ourselves we didn't know the full picture.

Great article, thanks for posting it!

I'm not familiar with games before P3, though I never really played P3, either. Pretty sad that they regressed with Persona 4. And you're right about TMS; while it was a super fun game, the story and the way the MC was put on a pedestal made me roll my eyes. Maybe I'll make some time for P3 one of these days.

That said, I still think Social Links as a system is pretty flawed and is nothing more than a detriment to the overall dynamic in a large cast of characters. The MC being a blank slate and not being his own character is probably one of the biggest factors for that. I can only see Social Links being worthwhile in a game where, let's say, the cast is full of working adults with their own lives and problems, so you can only make so much time to hang out with a specific person.

I think it'd be cool if future games had more "guest" characters in SL/Confidants. Like, how
Futaba is part of Sojiro's Confidant, or how you meet Ann and Ryuji at Leblanc to try to help and inspire him
. Trying to tie different Confidants could work too. Taking Persona 4 as an example, it would have been cool if Nanako and Dojima leveled up alternatively, with you hanging out with both of them at times and individually at others. The character could tell you something like: "Hey, I think [Insert Character] wanted to have a talk with you."

Pogonip

Neo Member
Endgame Persona Fusing:

Anyone know what the best ingredients are for fusing
Alice? Death Confidant has been maxed out.

So I'm a bit of a persona noob but wondering when I should start tackling the first palace? So far ive kinda just been doing social links and reading and its on day 8 now and I'm thinking I should start going in.

Endgame stuff
The final boss is an unfair piece of shit. I only got his second phase down to like a quarter before everyone ran out of sp. And I can't even use my master curries in battle :mad:

Zesh

The thing with comparing party members is that I'm not sure how useful it is to just compare them at the very end of the game, when that comprises such a small portion of the game. I've finished the 7th dungeon, and I don't have Charge or God's Hand for Ryuji yet, and I just got Concentrate for Ann. That leaves basically the final dungeon/bosses for those abilities.

On the other hand, I found Yusuke more useful than Ryuji as a physical damage dealer for 80% of the game. Ryuji gets Swift Strike, which is nice, but it misses far too much without Sukukaja. Meanwhile, Yusuke gets useful abilities like Rising Slash and Tempest Slash (along with Speed Master).

Similarly, Makoto is better than Morgana at the end of the game, but there's still a very significant period of the game before Makoto gets Marakukaja, and Morgana gets access to better heals earlier (perhaps most notably Mediarama, which I believe he gets 7 levels earlier).

So Yusuke and Morgana being outclassed at the end doesn't void the fact that they're still useful for large portions of the game. Overall I think the party balance is pretty good; every party member is useful at some point in the game.

Mishima (End game spoilers?)
calling you his best friend was funny to me. I've hated him from the moment he was introduced and started latching on to the Phantom Thieves.

Toki767

Mishima (End game spoilers?)
calling you his best friend was funny to me. I've hated him from the moment he was introduced and started latching on to the Phantom Thieves.

I tried not to laugh at that part. It was just hilarious though. Even if it was unintentional...probably.

daveo42

Banned
I miss 3 persona fusions in 5.

Endgame stuff
The final boss is an unfair piece of shit. I only got his second phase down to like a quarter before everyone ran out of sp. And I can't even use my master curries in battle :mad:

Coffee, Soma, and Carrots are your friends. There are a few other SP items you can use as well that can give up back as much as 50sp back. My optimal setup was
Ryuji, Makoto, Joker, and Haru who was basically doing double duty as damage and item user.
Worked out fairly well.

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
how hard is the 100% compendium trophy and the fishign trophy?
seems like the crystal personas migth make the compendium hard and the fishing looks hard too

seems like the crystal personas migth make the compendium hard and the fishing looks hard too

Crystal personas just take time, I think. I don't have all of them yet myself, but it seems to me that you could probably collect all of them in Mementos, especially if you're in there on a rainy day (or whatever climate it is that spawns more treasure shadows). You'll probably have a harder time fusing the endgame personas unless you have a ton of money and Strength confidant maxed.

Toki767

Super easy.

100% compendium can be done with having enough money and using a treasure trap in Mementos.

Fishing is super easy too. You can get it with the first rod upgrade too if you lure the guardian closer to you by recasting your line before it takes your bait.

Jiraiza

I think it'd be cool if future games had more "guest" characters in SL/Confidants. Like, how
Futaba is part of Sojiro's Confidant, or how you meet Ann and Ryuji at Leblanc to try to help and inspire him
. Trying to tie different Confidants could work too. Taking Persona 4 as an example, it would have been cool if Nanako and Dojima leveled up alternatively, with you hanging out with both of them at times and individually at others. The character could tell you something like: "Hey, I think [Insert Character] wanted to have a talk with you."

Futaba's and Sojiro's SLs were definitely the highlight for me so far. It really makes no sense why most of the SLs are so isolated from the rest of the world, really ruins the immersion.

A cool thing I'd like to see is to see SLs where the MC isn't a factor. A SL between Ann and Ryuji or Yusuke and Futaba, for example. Morgana/Ryuji/Ann, Futaba/Sojiro, etc, etc. There's definitely a lot of potential if Atlus ever decides to take some risks with the SL system.

nOoblet16

All you need for that is money...and time. It takes too much of both. Oh you wanna create this particular persona ? Well you need 4 other personas for this. What you have all but one of them? Well you need 4 more to create that one. Go make that first.

Repeat this several times. I am right before the final boss with 6 million or so and I think it's enough but Sataenal took cost me like 500,000 cause it needed other high end personas. I would suggest you level up to 99 asap so that you atleast wrap up the low level personas by instakilling them with an ambush.

As for fishing. It's piss easy, it has nothing on the fishing trophy in FFXV, fishing in FFXV is like whole game in itself.

nOoblet16

Am I doing this wrong or is there really no other option but to fight through the palace? Cuz stealth isn't that great
Stealth is actually very OP, you can move cover to cover and literally be in front of enemy within their line of sight and they won't notice you. There will be some enemies who you can't get past without fighting but you don't wanna avoid combat too much otherwise you risk being underleveled.

Opa-Pa

Am I doing this wrong or is there really no other option but to fight through the palace? Cuz stealth isn't that great

You're supposed to use stealth to start fights with an advantage, not to skip fights.

Still, skipping most fights is definitely possible due to how ridiculously player friendly the stealth system is.

All you need for that is money...and time. It takes too much of both. Oh you wanna create this particular persona ? Well you need 4 other personas for this. What you have all but one of them? Well you need 4 more to create that one. Go make that first.

Repeat this several times. I am right before the final boss with 6 million or so and I think it's enough but Sataenal took cost me like 500,000 cause it needed other high end personas. I would suggest you level up to 99 asap so that you atleast wrap up the low level personas by instakilling them with an ambush.

As for fishing. It's piss easy, it has nothing on the fishing trophy in FFXV, fishing in FFXV is like whole game in itself.

How do you get so much money? The most I've had is about 900k.

The God

Stealth is actually very OP, you can move cover to cover and literally be in front of enemy within their line of sight and they won't notice you. There will be some enemies who you can't get past without fighting but you don't wanna avoid combat too much otherwise you risk being underleveled.

Well I'm really talking about the areas that don't have cover. Guess I just gotta get good.

HMD

I just read a spoiler that said October in the beginning and then went on to talk about December. Guys please tag your spoilers T_T

Man, Kawakami is the TRUTH.

I ran the 4th palace in one go, got back, did the massage, ranked up a confidant and put her to do my laundry all in one day. It's crazy how much time she frees up!

Just finished my last non story Confidant right at the end of
November
! Was way easier than Persona 3 or Persona 4. I used a guide for answers but didn't follow a schedule.

The thing that made this easiest was definitely
Fortune's Rank 7 ability,
which must have saved me a couple of weeks worth of waiting for links to be ready to increase.

So I'm a bit of a persona noob but wondering when I should start tackling the first palace? So far ive kinda just been doing social links and reading and its on day 8 now and I'm thinking I should start going in.

I usually just go in day 1 and try to get as far as possible. The sooner it's out of the way, the more stress free free-time for activities you get.

vypek

Man, Kawakami is the TRUTH.

I ran the 4th palace in one go, got back, did the massage, ranked up a confidant and put her to do my laundry all in one day. It's crazy how much time she frees up!

Do you have to pay her to do laundry? I like Kawakami but she is so expensive. Idk if I want to pay more to ask her to do laundry or if its a free perk where I just pay to run the machine

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

You'll need the main part of the palace done at least 2 or 3 days before the deadline because of plot reasons. Don't wait until the last minute, especially if you aren't sure if you can get through most of the palace in one go.

broz0rs

This is the first game in a very long time where when I'm at work in the office and I just want to get home so I can play it. I haven't felt like this since FF3 (FF6) when I was still in junior high school. P5 is also the first anime game that I've ever extensively played as well.

nOoblet16

Compendium at 89% all the advanced personas are done. Just need to now look at every bloody arcana and make shit. This is taking too much time, I want that platinum already

nOoblet16

Endgame stuff
Use cheaper abilities, restrain from using heals frequently etc etc. You should have some soma as well, game gives you one right before the fight, plus the SP adhesive.

Toki767

The cell​shaded models in the game really make me think Persona 3 and 4 lost a lot of presentation value using the models they did.

Imagine if those games had these visuals.

FluxWaveZ

The cell​shaded models in the game really make me think Persona 3 and 4 lost a lot of presentation value using the models they did.

Well, they did have to create a whole new engine for P5, specifically to accomodate the kinds of models the game has.

LiK

There was a charm with the slightly deformed models, imo.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
For those at 150+ hours, are you enjoying it still? My enjoyment peaked at "omfg this is thr best game ever" around 50-60 hours in, but has steadily declined since then. I hit 100 hours yesterday and the game makes me want to kill myself, it's so god damn tedious.

For those at 150+ hours, are you enjoying it still? My enjoyment peaked at "omfg this is thr best game ever" around 50-60 hours in, but has steadily declined since then. I hit 100 hours yesterday and the game makes me want to kill myself, it's so god damn tedious.

Was that extra 40-50 hours over the course of like 4-5 days?

Opa-Pa

I mean, save for the UI, Persona 3 and 4 were always garbage looking games. They were the last Megaten titles released on the platform and the ones that looked the worst too for some reason.

Nocturne and DDS are gorgeous even today, but Persona looked like advanced PS1 games.

Toki767

Maybe you might want to consider reading instead of listening to voiced dialogue.

Or are you getting stuck in Palaces?

Top Bottom