• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Aki-at

Just got to the "present". Holy shit at everything going down.

Did anyone catch the thing about the
pancakes
when it happened, or were you like me and only realized much later when it was thoroughly explained?

I didn't but my ten year old nephew was watching me play that day of the scene and he went
"I thought only people who go to the other world can hear Morgana."

Like dang, I was upstaged by a kid.

Opa-Pa

Is that right? I see no reason to not do nocturne and smt4 on hard in that case, nice.

SMT4 definitely go for it. The game can be annoyingly hard after a certain point on Normal because of how much liberty you're given with fusions and how strong the MC can become in a relatively short time.

Nocturne... I wouldn't recommend it unless you've played it before. The game's normal mode is already slightly harder than P5's hard IMO, and the difficulty curve is pretty decent, so you shouldn't be able to become an OP deity of destruction until the very end of the game.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS IT FINALLY HAPPENED IN THE FINAL AREA

PLATINUM GET

Haha congrats. Any tips you can share or was it entirely random? I'd like to get that one soon to get it out of the list already.

Yes, I totally caught that back then.
I thought Ann noticed then when she was saying "Ryuji you idiot, do you realize what this means?",
but I guess not.

Yeah,
I totally caught it and thought Ann's reaction meant they knew too lol.

I didn't think much about it because he had been the TOTALLY NOT LAST PARTY MEMBER YOU GUYS even before the game was out in Japan.
Hell, I think Atlus toyed with that on purpose to make us trust him. I didn't really suspect him until they brought up the scene where the cop says I was sold out because, well, no one else made sense.

Guess Who

Banned
I wasn't entirely sure what to think at that point myself. I figured he'd probably be playable character and a persona user at that point, mostly because the damn cover and ps4 disk load screen spoils it. I did think he might be the traitor, but I was of two minds since I thought that was going to be too obvious.

That all said. I'm not surprised people didn't notice what happened in that scene. The thing is if you actually rewatch it, there is literally about 20-30 other lines of dialogue between Morgana talking about Pancakes and then Akechi saying about cake.

It's a random scene between friends so most people aren't going to be paying a massive amount of attention to detail of who said what and when. By the time Akechi says about cake, most people will remember pancakes being mentioned, but probably not that only Morgana had mentioned it.

I thought it was a nice little way of hiding it actually.

This is definitely what happened to me.
Totally didn't snap that Morgana was the only one who mentioned pancakes, because the conversation had gone on for a bit by the time Akechi brought it up. I didn't notice until I saw a GAF poster say something like "how did no one in the group notice Akechi heard Morgana in that scene?"

Zesh

Ugh, I had the Reaper down to 10% and Tetraja on my party, and then he used Mamudoon twice in the same turn and killed my MC. Took me about 30 minutes to get him that low too, as I'm on hard and my party is still in the 60s. Very frustrating.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
A lot of people caught it when it first happened. I did immediately, so it put me on-guard until the pivotal scene; it just stood out too much.
I looked back through the Log to make sure I had heard it correctly.

Many didn't catch it, though, so you're not alone on that.

Yeah, I was the same.

I've played too many RPGs for the lines about cakes then saying delicious pancakes to not stand out. Then I hit the log button which can scroll all the way up and saw Morgana said it. But I thought it was just a general sense that he's primed more for having a persona than anything else, didn't immediately think he was going to be the metaverse killer just from that.

ShadyK54

Is there some kind of issue with PSN today? I've been trying to buy the Makoto theme/avatar set, but it keeps giving me an error code saying my card information is invalid.

I've already deleted & re-entered my card details, so this seems like an issue on their end.

Hero

They're doing Persona 5 Figma, right?

I'd rather stick with them.

Also, is it possible to Platinum this game in one run? As much as I love this game, I don't really want to do NG+ for it.

Opa-Pa

They're doing Persona 5 Figma, right?

I'd rather stick with them.

Also, is it possible to Platinum this game in one run? As much as I love this game, I don't really want to do NG+ for it.

I think you can get literally every trophy except one on your first run. Unless I'm wrong and there's no trophy for the NG+ only super boss.

Okay, quick question about the calling card for Palace 6...
considering the whole shit going down opener of the game itself I'm wondering if there's an issue with sending the calling card early, as in would I miss days or something like that as opposed to sending it as late as possible?
I'm thinking that's probably not the case but better to be safe than sorry.

Guess Who

Banned
Okay, quick question about the calling card for Palace 6...
considering the whole shit going down opener of the game itself I'm wondering if there's an issue with sending the calling card early, as in would I miss days or something like that as opposed to sending it as late as possible?
I'm thinking that's probably not the case but better to be safe than sorry.

The game will not allow you to send the calling card early - you'll see why when it comes time to do so.

Zafir

I think you can get literally every trophy except one on your first run. Unless I'm wrong and there's no trophy for the NG+ only super boss.

Technically 3 trophies are out of bounds on your first playthrough.

Killing the NG+ Boss, Fusing Satanael and maxing Compendium.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah, I was the same.

I've played too many RPGs for the lines about cakes then saying delicious pancakes to not stand out. Then I hit the log button which can scroll all the way up and saw Morgana said it. But I thought it was just a general sense that he's primed more for having a persona than anything else, didn't immediately think he was going to be the metaverse killer just from that.

I didn't think that either, but what made it more suspicious is (Late November Spoilers):
As they say during the plan's explanation, Goro had said he had just become a persona user a month ago or something like that when he discusses with the Phantom Thieves. I had caught onto that, too, and I knew it was a lie. I didn't necessarily think he was black mask until the point where he wants to kill you, but I did know he wasn't to be trusted.

Hero

There's a trophy for that NG+ boss. For the NG+ trophies at least you don't have to play through the entire game again.

Technically 3 trophies are out of bounds on your first playthrough.

Killing the NG+ Boss, Fusing Satanael and maxing Compendium.

Okay, so I shouldn't stress maxing out everything on my first playthrough then?

Not sure how well I'm doing with my stats and confidants relative to how much time I have left.

What carries over in NG+? Please say I don't have to level up my stats and confidants over again. :D

DNAbro

SMT4 definitely go for it. The game can be annoyingly hard after a certain point on Normal because of how much liberty you're given with fusions and how strong the MC can become in a relatively short time.

Nocturne... I wouldn't recommend it unless you've played it before. The game's normal mode is already slightly harder than P5's hard IMO, and the difficulty curve is pretty decent, so you shouldn't be able to become an OP deity of destruction until the very end of the game.

Haha congrats. Any tips you can share or was it entirely random? I'd like to get that one soon to get it out of the list already.

Yeah,

I didn't think much about it because he had been the TOTALLY NOT LAST PARTY MEMBER YOU GUYS even before the game was out in Japan.
Hell, I think Atlus toyed with that on purpose to make us trust him. I didn't really suspect him until they brought up the scene where the cop says I was sold out because, well, no one else made sense.

0 tips other than try going to various fights with low health.

Papercuts

I didn't think that either, but what made it more suspicious is (Late November Spoilers):
As they say during the plan's explanation, Goro had said he had just become a persona user a month ago or something like that when he discusses with the Phantom Thieves. I had caught onto that, too, and I knew it was a lie. I didn't necessarily think he was black mask until the point where he wants to kill you, but I did know he wasn't to be trusted.

Funny enough but that scene I actually totally didn't catch on to that until they showed it again.

Zafir

Okay, so I shouldn't stress maxing out everything on my first playthrough then?

Not sure how well I'm doing with my stats and confidants relative to how much time I have left.

What carries over in NG+? Please say I don't have to level up my stats and confidants over again. :D

You don't have to re-level stats but you do have to re-do confidants. That said, if you maxed a confidant, they'll give you an item and you do get to keep some of their benefits when you can access them again. With that in mind, I recommend maxing Fortune and Temperance on your first run through either way. Money, compendium, equipment/accessories all carry over as well.

I think the stats are the most taxing thing about confidants. I had plenty of time to max everyone and do everything on my second playthrough.

Zesh

How soon can you fight the NG+-exclusive boss? I'll be able to get every non-NG+ trophy in my first run, so I'm just wondering how much I'll have to redo in NG+.

Opa-Pa

I thought something like that may happen, cheers for the quick response.

Make sure to
go to the hideout as soon as you secure the route, that way you'll prompt the whole calling card restriction dialogue. The game doesn't tell you but you won't be able to hang out with any of your teammates until you see it.

I missed Futaba's SL because of that >_>

Neoweee

SMT4 doesn't have an NG Hard Mode. It has a completely garbage Hard Mode that is only available after beating the game, and does essentially fucking nothing of merit other than the tutorial dungeon because you are forced to carry over your compendium information.

SMT4A has a "Hard" mode (War) available from the start, and is pretty good. I haven't beaten it yet.

Nocturne's Hard mode gets a bad rap because it ramps up the ambush and crit %s, so you get SMT'ed more often. It can be really frustrating. Normal is definitely a good place to start, but buffs/debuffs are OP and pretty much every single SMT product after that nerfed -kaja/-kunda tremendously after that.

Papercuts

How soon can you fight the NG+-exclusive boss? I'll be able to get every non-NG+ trophy in my first run, so I'm just wondering how much I'll have to redo in NG+.

You can do it very early but I don't think it's feasible to beat for awhile.

The first time you go to Mementos (may iirc?), you just talk to Caroline outside of the velvet room. But even with an endgame persona you're still low level and your party members are useless. I'm personally waiting until I'm basically end game again since the persona compendium is going to be super expensive without closing the level gap.

robotrock

Banned

I think you can do it like as soon as you hop into Mementos on the second playthrough

NotLiquid

Final boss question (spoilers sort of)

What party did you go in with for it and what Persona did you use? I'm thinking of fusing Satan to go in for the overkill while having Ryuji/Ann in my party, the former for being a damage dispenser, the latter to cover potential enemy buffs and both for having Charge/Concentration. That said I'm not sure who to go in for as my fourth party member.
I wanted Haru with me because she does insane damage but I need someone with the insane sustain, which would be either Makoto or Morgana. I think the former would be better as an all purpose solution and she has stuff that can cover our aliments/debuffs but I didn't max out her Social Link which means I'm lacking some survival features with her.

robotrock

Banned

The first time you go to Mementos (may iirc?), you just talk to Caroline outside of the velvet room. But even with an endgame persona you're still low level and your party members are useless. I'm personally waiting until I'm basically end game again since the persona compendium is going to be super expensive without closing the level gap.
SPOILERS for optional NG+ fight, hope neogaf doesn't embed this shit

edit: hid the spoiler behind email tags, its a youtube link. quote to see

Make sure to
go to the hideout as soon as you secure the route, that way you'll prompt the whole calling card restriction dialogue. The game doesn't tell you but you won't be able to hang out with any of your teammates until you see it.

I missed Futaba's SL because of that >_>

Also good to know!

Zafir

Pretty early on. As soon as you can access Mementos again I think.

I remember I almost accidentally started it on NG+ because I didn't realise you only had to talk to her in Mementos to start it...

In theory you could do as much as you can on the first playthrough and fuse an invincible Yoshitsune ready for NG+. Keep yourself enough money to re-summon the requirements for Satanael, fuse it. Re-summon the Yoshitsune you made, and solo the boss with it(hoping that they don't kill you with a gun attack or something).

Opa-Pa

SMT4 doesn't have an NG Hard Mode. It has a completely garbage Hard Mode that is only available after beating the game, and does essentially fucking nothing of merit other than the tutorial dungeon because you are forced to carry over your compendium information.

SMT4A has a "Hard" mode (War) available from the start, and is pretty good. I haven't beaten it yet.

Nocturne's Hard mode gets a bad rap because it ramps up the ambush and crit %s, so you get SMT'ed more often. It can be really frustrating. Normal is definitely a good place to start, but buffs/debuffs are OP and pretty much every single SMT product after that nerfed -kaja/-kunda tremendously after that.

Ah you're right! I have never played SMT4's and I was wondering why I didn't just switch to hard as soon it became dull, now it makes sense. Honestly the game was such a cakewalk, very disappointing.

Apocalypse I beat on War from start to finish and it was a blast, specially for bosses! Omly problem is that they had the totally awesome idea to raise compendium prices as if that adds challenge, having to switch to conflict whenever I wanted a demon back was a pain in the ass, but very worth it in the end.

Papercuts

What party did you go in with for it and what Persona did you use? I'm thinking of fusing Satan to go in for the overkill while having Ryuji/Ann in my party, the former for being a damage dispenser, the latter to cover potential enemy buffs and both for having Charge/Concentration. That said I'm not sure who to go in for as my fourth party member.
I wanted Haru with me because she does insane damage but I need someone with the insane sustain, which would be either Makoto or Morgana. I think the former would be better as an all purpose solution and she has stuff that can cover our aliments/debuffs but I didn't max out her Social Link.

Ryuji/Ann/Makoto. Ryuji was doing insane damage, Ann was doing solid work with Concentrate and keeping attack down, Makoto was def+ for the party and healing the whole time. I used Black Frost, Mara and Thor IIRC, Black Frost had def- for the boss and Mara had charge.

RalchAC

Yeah,

When I was doing the last Palace before reaching the beginning of the game I was like:

It can't be Ryuji. He is my bro.
It can't be Ann. I have her Confidant maxed and it wouldn't make any sense.
It can't be Yusuke. I mean, it's Yusuke.
It can't be Makoto. She is the first one that wants to change her sister's heart.
It can't be Futaba. We are part of the Coffee fam.
It can't be Morgana because, I mean, I'm not Ryuji or anything.
Lol Mishima.

So either it was Haru (which would have made sense, if she didn't believe that the party was never trying to save his father), or Akechi. And TBH, I was a bit confused. I couldn't see it being Haru at all, and Akechi was too obvious to be the traitor.

But the traitor identity wasn't the plot twist and by the end of the Interrogation Room scene I was satisfied with what had happened.

Style

Banned

I wanted Haru with me because she does insane damage but I need someone with the insane sustain, which would be either Makoto or Morgana. I think the former would be better as an all purpose solution and she has stuff that can cover our aliments/debuffs but I didn't max out her Social Link.

Used Ryuji/Ann with last slot being swapped between Makoto and Morgana for healing with an occasional Yusuke to buff evasion.

If you have Ann's severe AOE fire damage the boss is a cake walk. She takes care of all the arms except one that resists fire. I beat it with Arsene spamming severe gun skills.

Dragner

I wanted Haru with me because she does insane damage but I need someone with the insane sustain, which would be either Makoto or Morgana. I think the former would be better as an all purpose solution and she has stuff that can cover our aliments/debuffs but I didn't max out her Social Link which means I'm lacking some survival features with her.

I fused Satan and went with it and it destroys the final boss, you have the best debuff available and full powered concentrate + amped ice spells or megidolaon

Zesh

I think you can do it like as soon as you hop into Mementos on the second playthrough

Pretty early on. As soon as you can access Mementos again I think.

I remember I almost accidentally started it on NG+ because I didn't realise you only had to talk to her in Mementos to start it...

In theory you could do as much as you can on the first playthrough and fuse an invincible Yoshitsune ready for NG+. Keep yourself enough money to re-summon the requirements for Satanael, fuse it. Re-summon the Yoshitsune you made, and solo the boss with it(hoping that they don't kill you with a gun attack or something).

Thanks for the responses. Regarding the last bit, that's exactly my plan -- I'm going to fuse everything and do everything else possible before I go to NG+.

I tried it the first time at level ~25 or so in NG+ and got wreckkkkkkkkkkkkked. It didn't help that I forgot to bring a persona with reflect/drain phys/gun, but that would've just screwed me for the second round anyways. I think you could probably get pretty far so long as you had personas that null/reflect/drain one of all physical, all elements, and all forces; maybe drain for all of those in case the NG+ boss has break skills (and assuming break skills don't work on drain like in previous games). That said, I'm also waiting until much later in my NG+.

Note, though, that the persona compendium doesn't cost any more or less based on your MC level. It's persona FUSION that costs less the higher your level is. If you already made and registered the persona in your first playthrough, it's peanuts relative to the cost of fusing it again.

Thud

Just got to the "present". Holy shit at everything going down.

Did anyone catch the thing about the
pancakes
when it happened, or were you like me and only realized much later when it was thoroughly explained?

I noticed it immediately. Nice to see it play out.

Is there any point in doing mementos as you go through the game? Wouldn't it be better to just wait till the end so you can breeze through it? I feel like I'm wasting days doing it straight away and I could use those days for raising social links instead.

DNAbro

Completely done after 128 hours, 49 minutes. NG+ finished and platinum trophy obtained.

Easily GOTY and best PS4 game. I can't wait to see what Atlus does for Persona 6.

Papercuts

I tried it the first time at level ~25 or so in NG+ and got wreckkkkkkkkkkkkked. It didn't help that I forgot to bring a persona with reflect/drain phys/gun, but that would've just screwed me for the second round anyways. I think you could probably get pretty far so long as you had personas that null/reflect/drain one of all physical, all elements, and all forces; maybe drain for all of those in case the NG+ boss has break skills (and assuming break skills don't work on drain like in previous games). That said, I'm also waiting until much later in my NG+.

Note, though, that the persona compendium doesn't cost any more or less based on your MC level. It's persona FUSION that costs less the higher your level is. If you already made and registered the persona in your first playthrough, it's peanuts relative to the cost of fusing it again.

Yeah, that's true. I didn't mess with endgame persona fusion like I should have since I was too invested in seeing the ending, so my highest level is still Mara/Black Frost so while I've been using them from the start, trying to make Yoshitsune or something is waaaaay too much money for now.

robotrock

Banned
Completely done after 128 hours, 49 minutes. NG+ finished and platinum trophy obtained.

Easily GOTY and best PS4 game. I can't wait to see what Atlus does for Persona 6.

How long did your NG+ playthrough take? I have been trying not to fast foward like voiced dialouge scenes but otherwise have been skipping a bunch of stuff

nOoblet16

Is there any point in doing mementos as you go through the game? Wouldn't it be better to just wait till the end so you can breeze through it? I feel like I'm wasting days doing it straight away and I could use those days for raising social links instead.
A lot of social links are tied to mementos request and they won't progress unless you do them. Plus there's also the fact that if you like them all for the end it'll take an awfully long time and will be exhausting.

Zesh

It gets you a decent amount of levels, it's the best source for money, and it's needed to advance many social links. You can get sometimes get equipment upgrades as well. I generally went once between each palace, doing 3-4 requests each time.

It's pretty fucked up that I'm only nine hours behind you and still at the beginning of Palace
in my first playthrough.

Zesh

Is there an ideal persona for the confusion farming thing or is it just anything with Luck and Confuse Boost?

Just that; it can also help a bit if it nullifies physical or something, but it shouldn't really matter if you're farming on Easy.

A lot of social links are tied to mementos request and they won't progress unless you do them. Plus there's also the fact that if you like them all for the end it'll take an awfully long time and will be exhausting.

It gets you a decent amount of levels, it's the best source for money, and it's needed to advance many social links. You can get sometimes get equipment upgrades as well. I generally went once between each palace, doing 3-4 requests each time.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's true. I didn't mess with endgame persona fusion like I should have since I was too invested in seeing the ending, so my highest level is still Mara/Black Frost so while I've been using them from the start, trying to make Yoshitsune or something is waaaaay too much money for now.

Heh, yeah, I can see how that would distract you. For my part, I was actually going back to the velvet room even through the last dungeon just so I could fuse crazier personas for the fun of it. Some of them even kind of came in useful for the final boss, though I wish someone had told me in advance that SP adhesive 3 and Invigorate 3 on a persona do NOT stack.

Is there an ideal persona for the confusion farming thing or is it just anything with Luck and Confuse Boost?

I'm still riding the Moonman I raised from level ~20 all the way to 50+. I'm considering tossing some high-level treasure persona at it in the gallows but 47 luck is pretty decent already.

Top Bottom